Siegfried and Roy

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

julibug
I don't know if all of you have heard about what happened Friday night at Siegfried and Roy's show in Las Vegas. It is very sad. I hope Roy will be OK. It is also very disturbing that these things can happen, but I guess it is always a possibility when working with wild animals. I love tigers, and I know Siegfried and Roy do, too. They work in conservation, and work very closely with the animals. In fact, the tiger that attacked Roy was the one he would visit every morning when he got up, and spent a lot of time with. I guess I am just really surprised that they didn't have some type of precautionary measures in case something like this ever happened. What if the tiger had jumped into the audience instead? Have any of you ever been to the show?

julibug
For more info...

http://www.kron4.com/Global/story.asp?S=1469292

BackFire349
thats what they get for taking animals out of their natural happy habitat and putting them to work. I have no pity for them.

julibug
the animals live in an environment as close to "natural" as possible. they are not abused or harmed. in fact, tigers in their natural habitat are being killed off by poachers, and thanks to conservationists like Siegfried and Roy, among others (i.e. Turpentine Creek, Riverglen - who I support monthly), tigers hopefully will not become extinct. i understand your feelings toward people who put wild animals to "work", and i have mixed feelings about many circuses and "shows". but my understanding of how Siegfried and Roy treat their animals is good, not bad. also, as i said in my first post, i understand that these things can happen with wild animals. i am just very sad that it did.

BackFire349
it's none of their business to take the animals out of their free habitat and put them into a refined one, even with poachers.

julibug
check out www.turpentinecreek.org and www.riverglentigers.org - esp. riverglen - those people don't get paid to do what they do. would you rather have tigers become extinct? i'm not prepared to defend Siegfried and Roy completely, but i know the riverglen people personally. besides, i don't think any of these people i've mention went to india and took any tigers out of their habitat. they were rescued animals (from some of the circuses and "shows" i was referring to that i didn't think too highly of - as well as individuals who thought they could have a wild animal as a pet, and found out otherwise).

BackFire349
those 2 organizations are nothing like siegfried and roy, they do what they do because they believe in teh purpose, and they probably have the tigers basically in their habitat, just safer. Thye dont take them, make them go on stage with a stupid little hat on and ride bikes and jump through hoops.

julibug
ok. that's cool. i totally understand your point, and like i said, i can't totally defend Siegfried and Roy. but i am still sad about it. i'm afraid it will make the tiger look bad, and it wasn't it's fault. it was a wild animal. it just scares me that it could have been someone from the audience or something. but they may have it set up to where it couldn't have gotten out there. i've never seen the show. i was wondering if anyone on the forums has.

julibug
another good link http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/10/05/1065292459291.html

Tex
I have no sympathy for millionares who torture animals! They capture wild tigers, shock their balls when they misbehave, dress them up in gay feathers and costumes, force them to perform stupid tricks in a stressful environment under loud music and distracting hot lights 7 days a week! Its crazy and wrong!
thumb down

pablo007
Dumb ass Roy hit the tiger with the mic and the tiger got even more pissed.

julibug
i just hope the tigers will be taken care of. i read that they quarantined the one that attacked him. i hope he goes to a good tiger sanctuary.

Holcomb
Siegfried and Roy - the other white meat

Tex
laughing out loud

BackFire349
sadly, the tiger will most likely be put down.

julibug
since tigers are an endangered species, hopefully not. it really is more likely that they will send all of the animals that lived there to sanctuaries. there were tigers, lions, an elephant, among others. maybe the animals planned the stunt for an escape. stick out tongue seriously, i doubt they will kill the tiger. i'll be anxious to hear what happens.

ToMacco
I say, put Siegfried and Roy to sleep.

BackFire349
TOMACCO!!!!!

ToMacco
wink What's up, big guy?!

Seriously, what the hell are these two limp wrists thinking? "Hmm, let's get into a cage with angry tigers." Those idots.

LanceWindu
Maccy!!!!!!!!!

BackFire349
laughing out loud

Tied Hiker
There's this place called 'Wild Things' near where I work. They have all kinds of wild animals for movies and tv and stuff. A few years back the owner got attacked by one of his tigers during training. The tiger held the guy's head in his mouth for over an hour before releasing him with just a few teeth marks on his neck. You'd think the tiger was trying to tell him something right? Oh well, the guy still trains tigers.

BackFire349
yeah, people need to stop messing with tigers.

Tied Hiker
You know, it's not brain surgery, why can't they just leave those tigers alone?

BackFire349
i dunno, they have a fetish.

ToMacco
The only tiger I trust is Hobbes.

BackFire349
hah

Tied Hiker
hobbes is bomb.

BackFire349
indeed. I think he and calvin were.... more then friends however.

julibug
tigers are wonderful. but you won't catch me trying to get a tiger to do anything "un-tigerish"! stick out tongue

silver_tears
i still think its his own stupid fault and the tiger was only doing what its instincts tell it to do and also i read in TIME that roy is in stable condition now and will hopefully recover swiftly big grin

badkittykitty
so whats up with the tiger are they going to put it down?

silver_tears
if they do ill protest mad

BackFire349
They most likely will, any animal that nearly kills a person is generally killed.

Tied Hiker
I believe the tiger's name is Monocor. So let's refer to Monocor by his or her name, that way if they put Monocor to sleep it becomes more personal. Tigers are people too. People you just don't f*ck with.

BackFire349
haha

ChinaNiki
they shouldn't hold the same standards for wild animals as they do domestic animals, especially if the tiger could go to a refuge

although, personally, i don't hold with killing dogs over simple dog bites, putting them down for a mauling is a different story. i find most times a person is bitten by a dog they've done something to provoke it. which again is not the same as a mauling.

Tied Hiker
I so agree with you on that one, China. Once in a while I have to shoot some dog bite story and it's ridiculous. People shouln't stick their g*ddamn hands through someone's car window to pet a strange dog, it's just plain common sense.

ChinaNiki
i speak from experience. i've been bitten three times by dogs and none of those times were their fault. i would have hated it if the county had put them down for biting me, especially since two of them were mine.

Tied Hiker
Heh yeah. That's cool.

julibug
i was bitten by a dog once, when i was a kid. i tried to pull it away from my cat's food dish. duh! of course it bit me. i'm 99.9% sure they won't kill the tiger. the other animal handlers at the show have verified that it was simply being a tiger. they can't punish it for that! i'm following the story closely, though. if i hear anything more i'll let you know. there are many good wild animal sanctuaries they could send it (plus the 62 other animals at the mirage) to.

~fuoco~
i used to be obsessed with siegfried & roy... when i went to see them in vegas, that was a dream come true! but that was long ago...
Oh, and I'm against animals being in captivity, i think that all wild animals should be left alone in thier natural habitat, unless thier lives are completley endangered by enemies.

julibug
I just watched the Larry King interview with Siegfried. Roy is still critical, but they believe he will make it. Montecore is fine - back in his home at the Secret Garden.

Tied Hiker
I bet there will be tension between Montecore and Roy from now on. I wonder if Montecor is being secretly hailed by the other tigers.

julibug
Here's the link to the transcript of the interview if anyone's interested. It was very interesting.

http://edition.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0310/08/lkl.00.html

nazgulinthedark
i read somewhere that roy wouldn't let the tiger be put down said it had a bright future

julibug
yeah - the tiger is back in it's normal habitat, and will be fine.

Fire
well I still dislike it

ChinaNiki
well, at least it's back in an environment that is familiar to it

julibug
yeah - and more than likely will never have to be on stage again. all the animals there should be fine.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.