Qui-Gon's lightsaber and Luke's...ONE IN THE SAME?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

IGOTMYBEAT
OK before you get ready to flame me...atleast allow me the courtesy of not quoting EU as arguements against me.

Qui-Gon is using a green lightsaber.

When Obi-Wan loses his own, he takes Qui-Gon's.

When Obi-Wan thinks he kills Anakin with that lightsaber...HE TAKES IT APART, because he doesn't want to think about killing his friend. To him, his friend is dead. Just like he tells Luke.

Now when Luke returns to rescue Han on Tattooine, he finds the crystal from Qui-Gon's lightsaber (remember Obi-Wan took it apart), and contructs his own lightsaber around it. never realizing the significance of it.

I think this would add to the continuity of the saga. And have added significance in the scene when Anakin first sees Qui-Gon's lightsaber. Remember that look on Ani's face when he first sees it?

But if you read EU or the encyclopedias well then I'm full of crap.

But if I'm right, Darth Vader will have been turned back by his Son...carrying the same lightsaber Qui-Gon had used years earlier...who FREED Anakin from slavery and FOUGHT to have him trained as a Jedi.

(So just to reiterate...Obi-Wan uses Qui-Gon's lightsaber, kills Anakin with it in Ep III, and is so disgusted by the memory that he takes the lightsaber apart...now when Luke returns to Tattooine to rescue Han he finds the crystal from Qui-Gon's lightsaber and uses it to build his own)

The irony is THIS is the moment when Anakin looks back on his life, and Qui-Gon, who believed in him so much, and when he looks back he realizes what he's done and turns back.

Jedimaster3838
Those are some interesting points. We never really found out how Luke knew how to build the lightsaber or where he got the crystal. Maybe it was Qui-Gon's and only Anakin knew that. Either way, I don't think it is something that would be brought up, but it would be cool to see something like that. Something is definately going on with Qui-Gon, I mean what would be the point of introducing him and never mentioning him in the OT? His spirit is going to have to return, perhaps EP3.

finti
I think obi wan makes himself a new lightsaber for ep2. Its kind of the pride the Jedi takes in themselves, to construct your personal lightsaber. At least jedis with respect for their own skill. The fact that Luke uses Qui-Gons old crystal, why not. I guess old Ben left some various saber construction kit in his old hut. But for all we know Qui-Gons lightsaber might been burnt together with him.
You know GL borrows a lot of ideas from ancient civilisations and religious belives, a lot of civilisation burried or burnt their kings, warriors etc with their weapons for use in the afterlife.

Darth Daft
They're good points, but I would still like to think that Obi-Wan keeps Qui-Gon's lightsabre, as that seems rather respectful to him if you ask me. It was the first lightsabre to destroy a Sith in over a millenium. I know wouldn't destroy it.

queeq
It's not the sabre that did it, it was the Jedi. Interesting ideas IGMB, very. But I doubt that GL will put all that trivial info in the movies, nice ideas though. But last I heard was that QG's sabre was auctioned. laughing out loud

queeq abides

Ratcat
Is it important for a Jedi to seek out the crystals or is the importance in the forging of the saber itself???

Gundark
According to Shadows of the Empire....Luke found a leather bound book in a trunk at Ben's old house that opened with a thumbprint clasp...."and once it was open, he saw the flashpacket rigged inside the cover. Had anybody tried to force the clasp, the book would have burst into flame. Somehow, Ben had known Luke would find this book. Somehow, he had prepared it so that only he could open it safely. Amazing. "

It says Luke found the electronic and mechanical parts in Mos Eisley (power cells, controls, high-energy reflector cup). It does not say where he got the crystal, but does mention that the best lightsabers used natural crystals but that there weren't a lot of the kind Luke needed lying around on Tatooine. (no kidding). After the jewel came out of the furnace, there was a matter of cutting, polishing and installing it. If not installed correctly, when the saber is switched on, it will explode, and obviously, vaporizing the user. According to Bens book, a Jedi Master in a hurry could construct a new saber in a couple of days. Luke was going on a month with this one. Yeesh.

Dim
Yeah..so far the importance seems to be in the assembly of the saber..but I think we might see sentimental importance if Anakin ends up using Padme's crystal in his saber.

finti
Padme`s crystal? Aint that a bit muchy?

UnknownBountyHunter
I agree, Padme wouldn't ever possess a crystal, let only fight with a light-sabre! laughing out loud

theEviljedi
It may have been a jewel from Anakin's wedding ring.roll eyes (sarcastic)

Dim
I thought her father gave her one? a blue one...

theEviljedi
I heard that,too.{And,the jewel given to her is later given to Anakin for his engangment ring...Or so I've heard}

Boshuda
I thought Lightsaber crystals had to be special ones.

By the way, the scene where Luke builds his lightsaber WAS filmed way back, before Jedi's release, but not cut into the final print; so a similar scene may not be out of the question.

Also the scene is dramatised in the Jedi radio play.

.......Stop......end of interesting facts.......

theEviljedi
A crystal from your wife is special, Boshuda.roll eyes (sarcastic)

Boshuda
A crystal from my wife would be VERY special!! ;-)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.