Romance

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Celsius
I dont give a shit WHAT some guys say. Lazy ass bastards. Being romantic is FUN. And ANY guy can do it if they truely love the girl.

And thats my two cents. happy

silver_tears
romance is wonderful love it makes all things more special happy

Celsius
What would the world be without it? An empty shell. A wasteland!!!

cermiestar
aw celsius that's so sweet! *hugs*

Celsius
Teehee. *hugs back* happy

StefMan
hey you people think an internet romance is possible? or even real? cos I have a girlfriend who I met on the net...and this female friend of mine got all like "it isnt real or possible bla bla bla" well eventually she got pissed off with me for telling her that for me it's real that she blocked me...but yeah bla

so what do you guys thinks about internet relationships?

cermiestar
but it is! my last boyfriend was awful at romance......in fact he was plain awful......sad

Celsius
Net romance? Yeah, possible. If your REALLY devoted and patient.
But the problem is, what happens if you meet the person in real life and you two dont get along as well? Then thats bad. but if you definately know you love he/him. thhen its definately possible smile

BackFire349
It can be, as long as you arent with a girl that insists that its a constant thing. Then it becomes tedius and annoying.

LindsIsTightK
I personally don't believe in internet relationships until you have met that person. You can think you know a person so well, but unless you have met him/her that is very doubtful.
I believe you can fall in love with someone you have met over the internet, don't get me wrong, just it won't be a complete love until you have met that person.
Besides, not to be negative or anything, but I have heard many stories where the people end up not even getting along after they have met.

must_kill_Santa
i like romance

J_To_The_P
Romance is here and there. stick out tongue

StefMan
I'm feeling bad now..what if she doesnt like me in real life sad this sucks...argh...

must_kill_Santa
any here

crazy_c
not wit me sad

LindsIsTightK
Well I worry about that with some people too, but I just tend to think that if the person doesn't like you in real life then it obviously wasn't meant to be wink

GambitEVOFan1
Well personally i dont like romance at all, iv had boyfriends who are very romantic and they lasted a week. My friends all say that i need to be in an abusive relationship because i cant stand ne kind of romance, even cuddling is to much for me at times. I cant stand being mushy in public either holding hands is about as far as i go and sometimes i even feel uncomfortable doing that.

I think net relationships are ok, there not for me, but those who like that sorta thing, ya kno why not. I actually think its a good thing if u love them for who they are without ever having seen them. Alot of ppl just judge a person by there looks and not wats on the inside

LanceWindu
I believe in net relationships, look at me and Chanel

StefMan
that didnt really help confused

well I think she likes me, and yeah...hopefully she will like me in real life too smile

GambitEVOFan1
sad u two make me jealous ur to cute together

LanceWindu
You'll find the right guy one day RayRay

GambitEVOFan1
I hope sohttp://www.killermovies.com/forums/images/moresmilies/weep.gif

LanceWindu
I think VallejoKid has a thing for ya

Ushgarak
'Believing' in net relationships is a vague term- obviously they exist, but they are simply not the same as real life ones. As Lindsay says, you don't really know the person until you meet, and I speak from experience here.

Net relationships are absolutely great- so long as you do not confuse them with real ones, they are not as strong as a real one. A net girlfriend is more a fun pal than an actual girlfriend. A net relationship is, however, probably the absolute best way to prepare for a real one.

LanceWindu
And like I say, I'm going to meet up with Chanel one day, and we are going to try and make this net relationship into a real one.

LindsIsTightK
Ditto wink

Well maybe............... confused

Ushgarak
And I very much hope it goes very well!

GambitEVOFan1
laughing out loud hes a sweet kid but i dont think he has a thing for me prolly just likes what he sees in my pic.

BackFire349
I don't see how you could have a net relationship, it seems like it would be hell to be in love with someone you could'nt actually be with.

LindsIsTightK
Ush was right with what he said. You're really only very good friends who have some sexual feelings between each other until you meet.

BackFire349
Not everyone will feel that way however. Many people may feel only romantic feelings for the person, in which case, it must be torturous.

LindsIsTightK
Well in my definition, as far as this topic is concerned, sexual feelings to me just mean anything more then just a friendship which would include those romantic feelings. Which yes I do agree, it's gotta be a terrible thing not being able to be with that person. My favorite thing to do is cuddle happy with the person that I am romantically involved with and it would be terrible not to be able to do that sad

LanceWindu
Believe me, it is torturous.

GambitEVOFan1
Yea it seems like it would be hard iv never actually had one before.

But as for saying that u cant love someone without meeting them i knew**in person** this guy from CT who i used to talk to all the time and i thought hed be great for my friend so i gave her his email address and they started dating because they liked eachother even tho they had never met. They still talked on the phone and on the net. When they finally did meet they felt like they had known eachother forever and they could actually be themselve because they didnt have that aquired feeling like u do on a blind date.So i dont see the dif. between that and a net relationship

BackFire349
Yeah, see...everyone would save alot of time if everyone just acknowledged teh fact that i am always right.

LindsIsTightK
laughing out loud rolling on floor laughing laughing out loud

BackFire349
wink

Ushgarak
Difference is they met and still liked each other. Many times people who were crazy about each other meet and... nothing

You cannot fall in love with someone you have not met. That is just how it is. Romantic feelings are not love.

BackFire349
That's debatable Ush. I met my old gf on the net, and didn't meet her for several months. By the time i met her i was already very much in love with her. Of course, meeting her made my love much stronger.

LindsIsTightK
I agree. It is a very debatable subject. I think it just depends on the person. For some people it works, for some people it doesn't.

GambitEVOFan1
what im saying is that they fell in love and hadnt met yet

Ushgarak
No, I am absolutely certain on this. You cannot find out everything about a person until you meet them. Everyone knows how dotty I was about Edna on-line but it was most assuredly NOT love before we met.

There is SO MUCH that can only be learnt in person, and true love needs to know EVERYTHING.

Ushgarak
No, they THOUGHT they were in love before they met, and then met and everything went great. But if they HADN'T have got on in person, what would that have said about what they THOUGHT was love before? It happens. Answer? It was false love. Happens all the time.

Sorry people. Love is reserved for those who have met and know each other inside out. Not those who have met the slightly false persona you get from someone on-line.

If I had a pound for every person who thought they were in love with a person they had never met and actually were not, I would be an incredibly rich man.

GambitEVOFan1
No i dont agree because i believe in love at first sight, so for me i dont need to kno everything about some one when it just feels right then i say its right

BackFire349
True love, yes. But you can definately fall in love with someone over the net. Everyone is different when it comes to the way they feel and how they can connect with someone. Maybe you can't fall in love with someone over the net, but many can, and i know i did.

I sure wouldnt do it again though, it was tough, and i feel it was a mistake.

LindsIsTightK
This is a bit off-topic of the subject of online relationships but I disagree with the everything part. With the first guy that I ever fell in love with, we were together for 3 years off and on and there was still so much I never knew about him. (That is why we are not together anymore, he is working on dealing with his issues.)
But now, he has confessed all of those things to me. All of those things hurt me tremendously but I forgave him and I still loved him with everything I had(still do today).
My point is that even though I didn't know everything inside and out, my love was still completely true, and I know his was too. So I don't believe that true love needs to know everything.

Ushgarak
Sorry, BF. I do not believe you.

There have been many couples- some at this very site- CONVINCED they were in love with another poster,- as convinced as any of you are about someone else. But when they tried to meet in real life it was a DISASTER. Your feelings of love before you met are NO different to what they felt. They would have said the same things if people had tried to tell them these things before. But now they know better. So you only think it is so, BF, because it worked out- had it not, you would be laughing at the concept.

I do not draw a line between true love and 'love'- only true love and false love, what you thought was love but was not. And I do not buy into that 'different for different people' thing. I am about as ready to fall in love as any person- I just had to bve sensible and realisitc about it. Love is the top, the maximum, the pinnacle- a pinnacle you cannot be at without meeting. And too many people have to find that out the hard way.

As for love at first sight- you are going to have some shocks in life, kiddo.

And Lindsay, you DO agree that a person cannot fall in love on-line- you said as much. And if love is not knwoing everything then it can be deceived.

BackFire349
Well i can't say for sure about other people, and neither can you, i know i fell in love with my old gf online, and when we met, nothing changed, only for the better. It just made things better and increased the magnitude of our love.

I definately see where you're coming from ush, some people can't fall in love over the net. But you can't say that NO one cant. Because i did, and thats all i know.

LindsIsTightK
I agree with the love at first site thing. I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but c'mon, be realistic here. What if you meet the most gorgeous man or woman you have ever seen and think you are totally in love with them, just to find out that they are some serial killer?
You're right to a point, I said I agreed that you couldn't fall in love with someone online until you have met them. In which case I tend to think anything is possible, it just depends on the person.

StefMan
yeah..I dont agree with u on this, cos my girlfriend is very sweet (to me) and I'm in love with her...(ok ok maybe u will call it "false" love) but she treats me better than most "real" girls here...if she would have lived here I would have been having a relationship with her earlier, but yeah..."god" or "faith" or whatever u might call it, found it funny to put me in holland surrounded by idiots and her in the UK... confused

big gay kirk
I think what people fail to realise is that there is a world of difference between loving someone, and being in love with them...

Ushgarak
And I am sorry for doubting you, but I have seen far too many others feel the same way before meeting, and differently afterwards, for me to really believe it. Each of them would have said before "maybe that is so for other people but not for us." They were wrong. It's tragic, but there you go.

And in any case- I always highly recommend EXTREME caution in declaring love. People are far too quick to do so normally

Well, obviously it can all work out fine after you MEET them, Lindsay! (points to own experiences)

Stefman, just because someone treats you better on-line than people you know in real life does not mean that the love is flying... sorry, but again this is something I have seen far too much before, and it has turned out badly.

Ushgarak
Gah! I have always hated that idea. If people cannot appreciate that people normally use love in a casual sense ("I just LOVE my friends" for example- not to be taken literally, of course) then that is their own problem, but people who go out of their way to specify this are very often just trying to keep options open and want to get away with saying 'I love you' as much as possible.

But then again I am biased about this again by real life experienced- Edna used to hit me with that one.

GambitEVOFan1
Just because u dont believe in something doesnt mean its not true, who are u to judge their feelings and say that its not true love.

And dont bother trying to tell me that theres no such things as love at first sight, my sister went in for a job interview when she was 16, her boss was about 18 years older than her and she new from the second she saw him that she would marry him and wouldnt ya kno there married

LindsIsTightK
You guys I am totally with Ush on this one. (Yes I know that is a rare thing) I myself have also seen many cases where people think they are in love, they go to meet each other, and end up hating each other. It's sad, but in many cases, that is what happens.
I'm not saying it isn't possible to work something out with someone you meet over the net, just that the chances are slim to none.

Ushgarak
Again, you are just saying the exact same things as people before you. "Oh, how do you know, you haven;t met me, you cannot judge..." It's feeble. Your anger does not impress me- I have seen it all before, and it has turned out badly. I don;t CARE that they are married. It worked out for them- great, What about the countless people who felt the same way but it did NOT work out for? What does THAT say for love at first sight?

People need some objectivity.

BackFire349
I agree that the term 'love' is used to loosely. But when i say love, i mean it, i was deeply in love with my gf before i met her, we talked all day, (not just typing mind you, using the mic, and phone as well) and id dream about her at night, she was always in my mind. When we met, those feelings just blew up, and got even stronger.

I'm well aware of other peoples follies when it comes to online relationships, but the term 'to each his own' comes to mind here. What may work for some people, wont necessarily work for others. So just because there are definate questionable aspects of online dating, it is impossible to say that falling in love over the internet is NEVER going to happen, that is generalizing which is never a good thing.

I was certainly skeptical about the whole thing when it happened to me. For the longest time, i swore that i was just infatuated with her, but then after months, i realized infatuation isnt this strong, and rarely lasts as long as my feelings lasted for her, even before we met. It was love, for me...and I cannot speak for anyone else, let alone EVERYONE else, and neither can you.

GambitEVOFan1
All that means is and u said it urself., it just didnt work out, does not mean it wasnt love. And i think u are ignorant for not seeing this for different points of view, especially if u have hear this from other people before and not just me. Everyone is different we act different,we look different, we fall in love different. dont judge others just because u dont think u could fall in love at first sight or over the net. I dont think i could fall in love over the net either but im not saying no one can.

Ushgarak
And I am sorry, but like I say, I have seen it go wrong far too many times- for people who felt the SAME WAY as you- to believe in it. As they felt the same way, the 'each to his own' argument cuts no ice.

Here is what is happening- people who THINK they are in love meet and then fall in love. Because they thought they were in love before and then actually are afterwards, they see it as an unbroken line.

But the countless people for who it did NOT work for are proof of the opposite- and to write it off as 'other people are different' is very short-sighted.

Also, your description of love worries me- that is simple obsession you describe there. I hope no-one gets the impression here that constantly talking to someone and being unable to get them out of your mind is in any way love.

Ushgarak
And I am sorry, but like I say, I have seen it go wrong far too many times- for people who felt the SAME WAY as you- to believe in it. As they felt the same way, the 'each to his own' argument cuts no ice.

Here is what is happening- people who THINK they are in love meet and then fall in love. Becuase they thought they were in love before and then actually are afterwards, they see it as an unbroken line.

But the countless people for who it did NOT work for are proof of the opposite- and to write it off as 'other people are different' is very short-sighted.

BackFire349
Thats what love is ush, at least at first. It starts off like that usually. Most people will tell you that, at first, love is a near obsession. Of course, over time, it becomes a bit less overwhelming.

Ushgarak
Sigh... when I say it didn't work out I rather obviously mean they wquickly found out it WAS NOT LOVE

And I am sorry, but your 'difference' argument does NOT work. These people thought the SAME as you postulate. They are just as capable of feelings as you. The people who it works out for are not some sort of super-lovers. They are just lucky.

And the first time someone who thinks it works for them thinks they are in love and then finds out the hard way how they were not- THEN they will see. And that we have seen too much before as well. it is not ignorance. I am sorry, I have much experience and anecdote here and the totality of that experience screams to me that things are the way I see. The opinions of people who think otherwise but have NOT had to learn the hard way do not impress me at all.

BackFire349
Also, relationships that stemm from real life often end badly too, by you're logic that would mean that it isnt possible to find true love in real life, because it's gone wrong for so many people.

Ushgarak
Love can start with obsession, because it can be a symptomn, but obession does not mean nor does it necessarily lead to love. There are certainly FAR too many people that confuse the two.

"Also, relationships that stemm from real life often end badly too, by you're logic that would mean that it isnt possible to find true love in real life, because it's gone wrong for so many people."

What? How on Earth do you work THAT out? That just means that people do not always get things right. That has no bearing on me saying that you cannot love someone until you meet them. I never said people who meet are therefore ALWAYS right. The whole world is full of people who thought it and were wrong- in person and on-line. Just with on-line they are always wrong, is all.

GambitEVOFan1
Who says i havent learned the hard way?I certainly didnt and you dont know me so you obviously cant say that i havent so do not jump to conclusions.

BackFire349
I know, it was merely a ridiculous example of how generalizing never works. To say that because something doesnt workout for alot of people, automatically means that it can't exist (like your argument for online relationships, saying that because you have seen it gone wrong so many times, love cant be felt online). It's just faulty logic, and it is impossible to say what is possible when it comes to a persons feelings.

Ushgarak
Again, you are not going to ever make any impression on me by making comments like that because the people who I have known who were wrong said the exact same things. This whole 'you don;t know me' thing is a big irrelevance.

And if you had learned the hard way, Gambit, you would agree with me, seeing what I was talking about learning was that love can only be in person. So clearly you haven't, yeah?

BackFire349
However, since this conversation obviously isnt going to change anyones feelins on teh topic, i will say that i think online relationships are a mistake usually, and rarely work out.

GambitEVOFan1
No not at all, if you looked around u u would know that true love can come and go at ne second and u have to grasp it when u can. Your ideas about love are very close minded and ull learn someday that love isnt this ultimate power its a simple feeling, an emotion that comes and goes, just as one second u can like some one as a friend the next you can hate them.

Ushgarak
Complete non sequitur,. I was not saying that I had seen it go wrong with others so therefore it was not possible. I said it was not possible because you have to meet in order to know someone well enough to love them

The only example I made with other people was to counter people saying that they felt they were in love so I was wrong. I just pointed out the others felt that as well so that argument did not wash with me.

And Gambit, I say without reservation that if you think true love can come and go in an instant, you are naive and have MUCH to learn- and I am sure many other swill agree with me. I am sorry, love is beyond mere transient emotion. That is not close-mindedness. That is from knowing.

BackFire349
But again, i was deeply in love with my gf before we met. Thus it is not impossible, only rare.

and i agree, love can't just come and go. if thats teh case, it isnt love.

Ushgarak
Yes, I rather thought you and I would agree on that, BF.

And again, BF, my point is I cannot believe that argument. If I am wrong and I ever feel it to have it proved to me so I shall happily admit it, but because I have seen people who thought it was true love first and were wrong, and who had no less reason to believe so than you, the only possible conclusion I can draw is that you cannot KNOW until you meet.

BackFire349
You can't prove emotion, the very notion is illogical.

LindsIsTightK
That is by far one of the most ridiculous statements I have heard yet. You yourself were the one who said that you had never fallen in love before so how would you know if it is just this simple feeling that comes and goes? Until you have fallen in love you cannot truly say whether or not love is a simple feeling. The many of us who have fallen in love would have a completely different opinion on whether or not it is this simple feeling that comes and goes.

Ushgarak
And I also knew Linds would agree.

Ok, I will try and lay out what I am saying a little more clearly, BF, so you can see why I think this way

I know people who thought they were in love before they met and certainly were after. Whether they ACTUALLY were beforehand or not is, of course, impossible to prove.

I know people who did not think they were in love before they met, but were after

And I know people who thought they were in love before they met, and were NOT after!

Therefore, from where I stand, I can only conclude that no-one knows, for sure, until after they meet. If you can think you are, and be wrong, and cannot know different until the acid test of meeting... you see where I am coming from?

BackFire349
Oh yeah, i definately see where you're coming from ush. But i just think it's impossible to say for sure what is, and isnt possible when it comes to something as personal, and diverse as something like love.

Nivvy
I don't wanna put a definition on Love or Romance.

It's not my position to do, Nor am i paid Scientist/Sociology/Psychologist to prove my Theory at all.

Each person is different, they have different feelings about it, there's no point in trying to argue and enforce your own experiences onto others, let them find it out themselves.

Henceforth, I'll meet Kenny one day. We both want this to happen for real. We've both had experiences in the past in Real Life, that determined our own outlooks on Love/Relationships.

We seemed to have changed eachother over the net, will it happen it real life ?? Most likely. Why ?? ..... To me i feel because if he could do this to me and we're oceans apart. It'd be like Magic for real...

And Ush, though you also have experience in that field, that's your experience, not mind and Kenny's. Please don't flame it just yet.

Ushgarak
Sigh... again... such words really don't impress me... we've been through this. My argument has never been based on the idea that some experiences prove the rule.

Roach
I think its a valid point my gurl chanel!! big grin and very touching... i would have to say that net relationships don't always prove to be effective, but imagine it a mutual relationship and no physical contact, tell me is that not more effective then any real relationship to fall for someone that you haven't meet, touched seen in real.... can u imagine wot real magic it would create when u finally are face to face...

Ushgarak
Well... yes, I can.

LindsIsTightK
I have to agree. I have had someone change my life for the better, even though I have only met them over the net, so why not in real life? Although there are many bad expierences of people meeting in person and it not working out, my theory is this: You never know unless you try, so why not give it a shot?

badkittykitty
wow nivvy that waas really well thought out and what you said about kenny is really beautiful! I caught my self saying "awwh" out loud!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.