Baradúr, Orthanc, And The White Tower

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lord_Andres

nazgulinthedark
I wouldn't know, but it can't be too tall becuase in the book, saruman looks down from his balcony thing and talks to Gandalf, that is the same balcony that he talks to the orcs from, and then there is atleast 200-300 more feet above the balcony, and the balcony has to be in earshot of the ground, so your might be looking at 250- 350 feet

Arwenishott
i dont think it really tells u how high they actually r.......and saruman could have been using his powers to make his voice louder...............in rotk it says he has a voice that is full of power.

fini
yeah, stuff like actual dimensions of buildings weren't given by tolkien, so ur guess is as good as any other

Mithrandir
i think tower of ecthelion was 700 ft high, baradur maybe 1/2 mile, and orthance 400 ft (all but ecthelion guesses)

enyafreak
barad dur is 3000 feet high

Lord_Andres
wow, thats high, where did you find out?

nazgulinthedark
the book said that sauroman's voice was magical because it was like hypnotic. and in the book, sauroman told gandalf he could hear him fine, and i don't think gandalf was welling at the top of his lungs

Corlindel
Barad-dur is the tallest I think..About 1000 feet

enyafreak
alan lee actually says in the trilogy book that barad dur is 3000feet high

Exa

nazgulinthedark
anyone know how tall helm's deep was? just curious

Exa
Well, you mean how high the Hornburg (the fortress of Helms Deep) or how high/deep Helms Deep is?

Well, the wall is about 250 feet long; the tower itself was a little shorter than Minas Tirith (<300 feet), but I don't know how high exactly.

nazgulinthedark
the actual fortress thingy

Exa
A little shorter then Minas Tirith - so maybe 200 or 250 feet, I think.

nazgulinthedark
thanx

Corlindel
I would like to buy a loft at Barad-Dur..what a view stick out tongue

Exa
Oh yes big grin big grin
lol but you might be angry with all the fog and darkness hanging around the tower...

Felarof
reading mmm... tower... tower... is there any tower mentioned in LOTR books?

Exa
How do you mean, any towers - besides Minas Ithil&Anor etc?

Felarof
O~ I just realized they 'are' actually 'towers'? stick out tongue

doctor

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.