Is There A Difference Between Loving Someone And Being In Love Wit Someone?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Neo_Version 7
Well is there? I mean, you can say I love you to someone. But can't you say I love my dog, but Im not In love with her? Know what i mean>?!

Celsius
U-huh. I knw whatcha mean. The problem is. The word "Love" gets thrown around alot. and probably shouldnt be used so lightly, in ANY circumstance.

Neo_Version 7
Yeah! Word!

Ushgarak
In my opinion, I do not like the way some people like to make this distinction- it just satisfies people's desire to say "I love you!" to people without it necessarily having to mean anything other than "I like you." And so later when they move away and you say "I thought you loved me" they can say back "Yeah, but I was not IN love with you...". Cheap, if you ask me.

But that is just me.

Neo_Version 7
I see.....U know Ush, ur really wise when it come 2 sex and shit. You really are.

Ushgarak
Well, I cannot pretend to be the world's greatest expert. But intense emotion like this is something worth putting a lot of thought into.

Neo_Version 7
Whoah, Nelly! I know what you mean, Ush!

Kes
Well but like you love your parents but your not in love with them.
But thats an english language thing from my point of view.

Neo_Version 7
Yeah, I guess in a way thatz one way of looking at it.

Ushgarak
Yeah, but that is so obvious that no-one would need to put it like in the thread title. When someone says "I love all my friends!" anyone with a brain knows that is not literal. But when someone needs to feel the need to specify it as Neo asks about in the thread title, that is when alarm bells start to ring for me, because that is when I think they are just wanting to be able to say they love someone without the possible guilt of changing their mind later.

Celsius
So u dissagre with me Ush? Cuz I believe the word Love should be used for waht it means. not as LIKE. cuz that a whole diff word.

must_kill_Santa
i love all my friends but im not in love with them

Ushgarak
I don't disagree with what you said at all. I reckon when people are trying to tell someone "I love you but I am not in love with you" they are erroneously saying love instead of like.

Neo_Version 7
I don't mean that man. I like (love?) this one girl, I really do. I'd NeVer take anything back that I ever said. Even if she ****in shot me accidentally with a goddamn gun and all, hell, I'd still love her. I really would. Im a madman sometimes. i really am.

Kes
Thats why I said its an english language thing (I my point of view).
In portuguese they are actually to different words.

Kes
lol I think we all know that big grin

must_kill_Santa
yeah i no

Ushgarak
Thanks, MKS...

That sounds a lot more sensible to me, kes.

Kes
We're very pratical wink
Of course most ppl just say I love you anyway laughing out loud

must_kill_Santa
it really does thats why our language is so easy to learn but is so complex to understand

Celsius
Ok......so I guess weagree on that part. smile

must_kill_Santa
yes we do

Neo_Version 7
Love is indeed heaven upon earth; since heaven above would not be heaven without it...

-William Penn

must_kill_Santa
thats kinda confusing
i think the word love is used so freely and losely now people dont see it as an important thing

Neo_Version 7
Alrite, how bout this:

"There is only one happiness in life, to love and to be loved."

-George Sand

Neo_Version 7
BTW, I gotta study for my Bio test tomorrow, so I'll see you guyz L8er. pEaCE 0uT!

Kes
See ya.
I like:
Some say its better to have loved and lost then never to have loved at all.

(or something like that).

must_kill_Santa
yeah ive heard that im so stoopid i wouldnt know if i was in love or not

yerssot
it's better to have not lost it at all to start with!

Celsius
I REALLY dont like that one......Cuz I know that it feels like........I know I sayd before that I never lived anyone......but I did.....abot a year ago or so. sad

must_kill_Santa
true but i lose everything

yerssot
remember where you place things then mks

Kes
yeh but at least you know what it feels like.

must_kill_Santa
well if i did that yerssle i wouldnt have lost them so stick out tongue and somethings i would neva losewink

yerssot
"I just wanna feel
real love"
Robin Williams

Celsius
Yeah....U know what love feels like.......but then you lose it.....which is one of the worst things that could ever happen. But I guess that its inevitable for some peeps.

sheri
i no what u mean. i want to no if my "husbsand" loves me. see we got married jus for fun. i had my friend marry us. it was soo funy we still laugh about it. well i reallly really love him. i dont no how to no if he loves me but i no what i feel for him.

Treehuggerjanie
love is the best thing ever but i havent been in love yet.i doubt it very much anyway!it must be so nice.i think there is a massive difference between being in love and loving someone.either that person has the same feelings for you or they dont which would be horrible but it happens.well said eh?lolx

must_kill_Santa
hun no-one asked for your life storystick out tongue

yerssot
only if we get payed wink

must_kill_Santa
yep i hear it everyday

yerssot
ah, having ears is so fun wink

clispin
i know im a bit late but there's totally a difference. I mean I love my friends but im not IN love with them. Being in love with someone is pretty darn amazing and u known when ur in love with someone

J_To_The_P
Of course there is, you could look at it like this.

I sure as hell hope you LOVE your mother but arent't INLOVE with her, or your father, or brother or sister, or animal, get me?

must_kill_Santa
yes its pretty easy to get stick out tongue

laxwaldren
Heres how i see it...you know...most people say i love you...but thats because people have become so accustomed to it being said around people you are very comfortable with. this is y i think about it dfifferently than everyone...it seems to be a concensus that you must love someone in order to be IN LOVE with someone because u can love anything. well the way i see it is the exact opposite. Think about it from this perspective...all of those things that u really say "i love you too" and not just the joking way because someone is funny u say o i love hm/her...really saying i love you...they are all people or things with which u have been closely connected for a period of time and built a real relationship...who do u say i love you to most in ur life...hopefully u answer with ur family...you live with them you whole growing experience therefore you build a lasting relationship...however when you meet a girl (or guy for that matter) you may end up in what people call puppy love...endless wants...thats what i think being in love with someone is...because when you decide u want to be with someone through THICK and THIN...thats when u LOVE someone...just like family. Maybe other people will agree with me...but majority of the people i talk to about this think the other way...lemme know what you think

Samurai Girl
i have a question.....Are we really in love or is it just an illusion?

silver_tears
Loving someone is one thing. That means you love the whole person, every flaw, every habit, every detail, even though they do have flaws, and sometimes irritate and piss you off, but you wouldn't have it any other way.

Being in love is temporary. People fall out of love, it is an infatuation, a want maybe. But falling in love is most likely the first step to loving someone for a long time, so you need one to have the other.

Samurai Girl
you know tht makes sense i love some1 but right now i hardly like them

~Angel~
EXACTLY!!!!

Silver Tears hit the nail on the head, so to speak.

You can love someone without being in love, but you can't be in love without loving that person. Love is tricky, it can sneak up on you from nowhere and hit you like a ton of bricks, or it can grow slowly.

Being in love takes a lot of work. It takes a ton of patience, respect, understanding, and most of all, communication. But, when you are in love with someone as opposed to loving someone, the work seems effortless.

"And that's all I have to say about that." -Forrest Gump

Phoenix Song
Same cry

I love someone so much, but I hate him for it as well...erm

Samurai Girl
you know phoenix my life yesterday was filled with so much hapiness. i was in love with this dead sexy guy but by him doing one tiny thing my whole life just changed.

How can you hate someone when all u feel is love....?

Phoenix Song
I don't know...I just do erm

That must be horrible...cry

btw, just realized that you're Turelie...embarrasment

silver_tears
I dont think I've ever been in love messed

Samurai Girl
yikes your nienna hey how u doing...just ignore me

Phoenix Song
Yeah, I just changed my name stick out tongue I won't ignore you no You're cool yes yes

I'm doing ok I guess erm

Trying to get over my depression messed

Samurai Girl
same here...I just like to know wat gives men the right to treat us the way we do

Cyclops
Well, sometimes women are no better then men. It is not as though we enjoy hurting women... but sometimes we have no choice

Samurai Girl
every1 has a choice.

Cyclops
Not always

Samurai Girl
as every1 does....you ave a choice to stop it before u ave to choose

Corran
crybaby All this sadness and hate talk is upsetting me, talk the happy talk. cry

mini me 0206
*talks happy* there u go corran

Samurai Girl
why talk hapy when your too busy crying

Corran
Awww sad if you talk and think happy, it chases the sad demon away.

mini me 0206
what confused

JToTheP
Yup, and I'm not saying more.

Dream_weaver200
im new here but i would like to say if it is love be it love of a good friend, family member or a pet......LOve is a state of being .......that said then that means if you love then you are IN Love....because its a state of being or a physical emotion ...anyway there are different kinds of love unconditional being the best

Darth Jello
no, it's a phrase weak willed pussies use to dump you

leonheartmm
being in love is definately more intense than loving, but loving is warmer, more sincere and generally lasts longer than being in love{there are exceptions ofcourse} now combine the two n you have nearly perfect love. kinda like a best friend and a lover.

KharmaDog
Is There A Difference Between Loving Someone And Being In Love Wit Someone?

Kind of a stupid question. Would a man love his wife the same way he loved his father?

For all those of you who answered yes, seek thereapy now!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.