MOVIE REVIEW- Memento

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ushgarak
The release on this film was very odd. Despite being an A-Grade Hollywood film, it got a small British release before the US had even heard of it (during which I was lucky to see it), then a minute release in the US, despite enormous critical acclaim. I understand it may soon get a larger release in the US, and it will be out on video and DVD over here soon, so the review is somewhat relevant.

It stars the people who played Trinity and Cipher from the Matrix, and the main star is the guy who played Eckersley in LA Confidential.

The main story seems quite normal. The main charatcer, an insurance investigator, wakes up one evening to find he is being burgled. The burglers have already raped and killed his wife. He is badly injured in the struggle. The robbers get away, and in the aftermath, he swears to track them down and get revenge.

But it is nowhere near that simple. Because during the attack he suffered brain damange, which leaves him incpable of forming new memories. Everything that happned up to the assault he can remember fine- but everything AFTER thjat, he forgets after a few seconds.

His life SHOULD be impossible. But as part of hios job, he investigated a case like this before, so he knows how to try and deal with it. He tattoes on his body everything he has learnt so far. Every morning when he wakes up, with no memories from after the assault, he can read off of his body- and his copious noteds- EVERYTHING he has discovered so far.

He cannot remember the people he meets along the way- except with his mementos. He takes a polaroid of everyone imporant he meets, and notes on the back what he should think of them.

Meanwhile, he continues his investigation, barely aware of anything else, not knowing how long he has been doing it, explaining his problem to someone who has already heard it a dozen times before...

But it's not even THAT simple. You see, the film does not start at the beginning, but at the END! It STARTS with him killing the man who did it! Then the film goes bBACKWARDS from there. You see, because he has no memoires, what has happened up to the point before his revenge is as much a mystery to him as it is to us, as the viewers.

The very start is LITERALLY backwards, as it winds back from him oputting the bullet into the guy;s brain. After that, each scene is the one BEOFRE the on you just sawm, and shows how he reached that point. The scenes co-incide with every thime his memory resets, and he forgets everything that just happebned. SLowly, you see what led him to that point- and begin to uncover what is heavilty hinted at at the start of the film- that somehwere along the way, he has made a terrible mistake...

The film is stunning in just about every way, and the acting is phenomenal. But to give away more of it is like giving away aprt of The Usual Suspects or the Sixth Sense.

It is THAT good, I assure you, and with a VERY memorable last line... if you get the chance to see it, do it!

A definite five-star movie.

razman
Can't find any cinemas that are showing it. Whens it coming out on Video/DVD?

Ushgarak
No, it's all done in the UK... actually, it was showing in London last month...

Anyhow, should be out any day now on DVD.

ratcat
SO, Video or DVD it is then. Will probably make it to Sky MovieMax too I guess.

zed
Just saw 'Memento' last night on DVD, and have to say what a brilliant movie. It has got to be one of the most original movies I have seen in a long time.

I would have to agree with Ushgarak it is definetly a must see movie. 8.0/10

Ushgarak
Cheers, Zed. See, everybody? Check it out!

I assume you now see what I mean, Zed, when I said it was a BAD idea to give away the plot...

zed
Now that we have given enough time for the rest of the people to watch it, it time to discuss the movie.

There are many questions to be asked after watching this movie, the first and one of the most significant is that does the main guy actually have the syndrome or is it all in his head??

Also if you have any comments on 'Memento', they can now be asked.

ratcat
Apparently this is now up for an extended re-release in UK cinemas, so I heard the other day... Anyone else come across this?

Ushgarak
I haven't heard... but if it is true then we'd better lay off plot speculation. It would also be incredibly good news.

ratcat
I downloaded the trailer today, haven't watched it yet.

ToMacco
The movie Memento was certainly a good idea, and was a very perplexing tale; but the film could have been better. If there has ever been a movie you want to watch twice, here it is.

A couple of things really bothered me about this movie, though. If he has no short term memory, then why did he know that he needed to look at his labeled photographs?

And for someone with no recolection of what's going on, his character was unbeleivable in his cockness and sly attitude. You think he would be more sympathetic to his surroundings, and more questionable. He wouldn't accept that he has met everyone and knows what's happening, just because it's written down.

Despite the TERRIBLE characters, the idea is good, and it is fun to watch. This movie will no doubt be a cult classic for many people. For me, though, I'm moving on.

(** out of four)

BackFire349
i agree whoe heartedly with tommaco, great idea, wrong presentation.

ToMacco
wow, Backfire! We agree AGAIN!!!! Scary eek! big grin

BackFire349
yeah i know, im scared too.

Machine
oh noo .... i agree with both you im going to sleep in my mommies room tonight

BackFire349
kobe go on aim.

Ushgarak
To answer your points, To- and remember, this is a real-lifer condition, and the book was based on research:

As the movie explains, you can still condition yourself to learn things even with no short-term memory, as it is a completely different part of the brain. Leonard has conditioned himself to look for a photograph EVERY time he meets someone who he talks to.

Likewise, as was also clearly explained, the ONLY way he can live is to 'trust his handwriting' NOTHING else matters to him, at all. As he explains, when he has the facts, EVERYTHING else is irrrelevant.

The weakness of his system, plus the idea that Leonard is rather mental, is clearly shown in the film.

Well, it was the most critically acclaimed film of 2000, which made me happy enough. It is definitely one of my absolue favourites.

BackFire349
requiem for a dream was better in 2000

Machine
backfire is right best film in 2000 is requirm for a a dream not momento

ToMacco
Ush, I agree, and even accept that this condition actually exsists. But his COMPLETELY COCKY attitude was unbeleivable. It was a horribly acted film.

Ushgarak
Odd. I thought it was very good.

Machine
i really hate that the girl from matrix was such a two faced ***** that whole part of story was unnessecary . on another note i really liked it when she spit into the cup i found that very exciting and arousing

Ushgarak
If you watch it again, you can be a lot more sympathetic towards Natalie. In reverse, she looks a lot nastier than she actually is.

Remember, Leonard is wearing her boyfriend's clothes. For a long time she assumed that Leonard has killed him. Only when she sees his tatoos does she start to think different, which is why they are genuine freinds at that point. After she sleeps with him she is sure that Leonard will remember her- but he doesn;t. Hence, the last time she sees him, at the cafe (the first time we see her), she is unhappy because he has forgotten her.

King Jedi
I saw this film a few months ago and forgot all about it. That's the effect it had on me and that's not a reference to the films plot. I just don't remember anything good about it.

It's a nice idea but I thought it was really dull.

Dim
Of course she was a two face *****..that was what made her character so effective...you're not supposed to like her... There are plenty of people like that in the world...why not in movies too?

Texas
I didn't think she was a two face *****.
I mean her boyfriend was killed by that guy, and she has to watch him dress in his clothes and drive around in his jag. She was nice if you ask me! And a total hottie!!!!!!! smokin'

King Jedi
At least in this she actually looked like a woman rather than a man like she did in the Matrix.

ToMacco
Don't even get me started about "The Matrix". mad

King Jedi
Why?

UnknownBountyHunter
I dislike that movie as well.

Anyways, this Memento movie sound interesting but I can't find it at any of the film stores here can someone suggest a website?

ToMacco
I couldn't tell you about a website or anything.

I think everyone should see Memento, because a lot of people are going to like it. For me, I just found it terribly acted, and confusing at many points. You shouldn't HAVE to watch a movie twice to understand it. This is one of the reasons The Phantom Menace wasn't great. You had to see it a few times before you really knew what was happening.

As far as The Matrix; Special effects don't make a movie. The Matrix was the worst acted movie I've EVER seen. Keanu Reeves is the worst actor in Hollywood. Lawrence Fishburn is awful in the picture. And that one main bad-guy with his dry diaolog was boring.

To me, The Matrix seemed like a movie designed for stoners with low IQ's. "Wow, man. . .that was awesome!"

King Jedi
Tomacco I couldn't agree with you more, about the Matrix.

Dim
So does this mean we're not going to go see the next two?

Ushgarak
Seem to be straying here... do people want to open up a new Matrix thread?

King Jedi
I won't be going to see the next two.

Back to Momento - I think it's the type of film you're either going to love or hate. I don't think it's the easiest film to watch.

Dim
This is true..nor is it a film that I could watch serveral times...it's just too trying.

King Jedi
I'm the opposite. I had to watch it a couple of times to figure it out. And at the end I wish I hadn't bothered. sad

amidala985
Excellent movie. Goes backwards then forwards then back again. Nothing is ever what it seems. Should have won best screenplay, best film editing...Those assholes over at the Motion Pictures Arts and Science don't know a truly good movie when it kicks them in the head.

Anyway, see this movie. It's the best movie I've seen in a long time. Hey, did everybody catch the part where they show "Sammy" sitting in the chair in the mental hospital and when Lenny's talking about how Sammy "faked recognition", for a split second, it flashes and it's Lenny instead of Sammy? Major giveaway for the outcome of the plot if you catch it.

Angel Heart 75
Memento is a masterpiece of a movie, a true classic for years to come .
It's innovative, intelligent, deep and fascinating and can be watched (and think about) on different levels .

The first is a story about vengeance and finding the murderer of his wife while fighting his own mental disorder
The second is a beautiful and interesting reflexion about the importance of memories in our lives and what we would be without memory at all...

Christopher Nolan is a brillant filmaker and he has done something really unique and unforgiveable (lol until you re like Leonard stick out tongue)

ragesRemorse
Though this movie was executed very well, i failed to see the point in it being made

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.