Last chance for Lucas!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

bobbynine
This is Lucas's last chance! His last two movies were far from being awesome. I am a big fan of Star Wars and I can't help but be disappointed in him. He uses way to many special effects and his humor is horrible in both films. Just to give you examples, the two sports commentators during the pod races were ridiculous, and in the second one- they put a fifties diner in the friggin future. I could name a lot more, but this is the kind of stuff I hope is not in the third installment. Please Lucas, redeem yourself and then move on to your Indiana Jones sequel.

plenTpak52
Well this new one looks pretty unflawed (knock on wood). From what I've read i think it has the potential to be the best one

Hypernova
I don't know. I liked the scene with Dex big grin

Ushgarak
I cannot see what is at all wrong in puttring a 50s diner in (it is a style thing)- and you cannot be THAT much of a fan if you think it is set in the future. Pay closer attention to the very first thing you see in each one...

I rather like the new films, a big improvement on ROTJ, and I don't think GL really has got to prove anything. I would like the film to be as good as possible, of course.

SlayerChick1188
yeah here's hoping Ep 3 is better than the last two, at least better than Ep1

mephistodesigns
The diner scene is hardly the dumbest earth-like scene in a SW movie. I think Lucas threw that in there as a tribute to the Buck Rodgers sci-fi influence on nearly everything in the fifties. Rodgers was one of the many influences on Lucas.
The dumbest thing, by far, is the new musical sequence in Jabba's palace in ROTJ SE. Was John Willliams even trying? Was he responsible for that bantha poodoo? I mean c'mon, blues harmonica? That was an atrocity. What made the Cantina music so good was that it was a really wierd @$$ combination of instruments that yielded an alien sound. That Jabba scene was just way too earth. Whats next? Digitally inserting John Goodman as Jabba with a big House of Blues neon sign behind Jabba's dias?

Ushgarak
Somewhere AOTC was lacking was soundtrack, actually, Across the Stars was a nice enough piece but it seemed to be the only new thing in it, and he used it everywhere.

A shame, because Duel of the Fates did TPM so many favours (even after they chopped it up...)- Imperial March for the new era.

Ushgarak
THAT SAID- Across the Stars' use at the end of AOTC was very good.

mephistodesigns
is there a particular reason there aren't tons of themes in the PT? Remember the credits to ANH we had the main theme, leias theme, and something else. Then with the ESB credits had the Imperial March, a little of the Han and Leia romance music, and then a reprise of the end just before the credits followed by a great fanfare used in some TPM trailers. In ROTJ it had the Ewok theme, Luke and Leias theme (which better f^&%% be in III!), and a reprise of the final moments of ANH to bring it full circle. Now it's like he's bored or something. In TPM we only had Duel of the Fates (which is good, but we had LOTS of good in the OT) and Anakin's theme. Oh yeah, that playful junk whenever Jar-Jar was doing something (usually stupid). I actually don't mind as much as most people but when you're giving him screen time and musical themes over the kick but characters, thats just wrong. Most of the music for TPM is BORING. Its just like background noise, no real musical tune to most of it. Like on the Ultimate Ed., the first disc is okay with the fighting music and lots of Force theme around Anakin and Palpatines theme throne in whenever Sidious was on screen. But the second disc blows until the very end battles. And like Ushgarak said, in AOTC we got nothing. Across the Stars was nice. At least he incorporated some OT tracks but only in small bits. Like Yoda's theme when Kenobi asks of Kamino, Imperial March at the end, and the music from the escape from Bespin was used briefly in the droid factory when Anakin finally starts bustin out some power on the machines.
I want some more themes. They really helped the OT to have a rich, grand feel to it which seems to have just dried up in the PT. I mean c'mon, Padme needs her own theme. Anakin's could be used more. The Force theme could have been revamped and used whenever Mace or Yoda or other council members are on screen, given some power to show the Jedi in their prime. They freaking gave the ewoks their own theme, even Jar-Jar has his own, but not the Knights of the Republic or the mother of Luke & Leia? Tisk tisk Mr. Lucas and Mr. Williams.

Ushgarak
I agree, Williams was off-key with AOTC, it was a one trick pony.

ESB had the asteroid chase music as well- gorgeous...

NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-NAAAA-NAAAA-NAAAAAA-NA-NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

And so on

mindbugaling
i agree that AOTC was a little musicaly handicapped but, HES FRIGGIN' 65 YEARS OLD! of course hes gonna get a little bit slow, wouldnt you if you have scored over 500 movies since the early sixties!?? im a huge john williams fan, iv listened to his music since i was seven. i can understand why hes a little bit behind, but COME ON! dont dis the guy for his disabilities...

Ushgarak
Why not? I thought he did great for TPM and Harry Potter. AOTC wasn't his best work. It happens. Maybe ep. iii will be. We shall see.

finti
indeed we will

queeq
We better. I actually like the TPM soundtrack. Despite the lies about it being complete I really enjoyed the Ultimate Edition. It's a nice but calm opus IMHO. It all sounds very well conceived and put together (despite some cutting in DOTF wink ). Much unlike the AOTC soundtrack. I kinda liked the guitars in the Geonosis bits, weird but at least a new sound. Across the Stars was good, but apart from that it was pretty messy theme wise. Much unlike TPM in that respect.

And Williams' age is pure BS as an excuse. Ush already mention Harry Potter, but also his work for Catch me if you Can and Minority Report was GREAT!!! Age has nothing to do with it. Maybe it's Lucas....

BUT HE BETTER MAKE EPIII THE BEST FRIGGING SW SOUNDTRACK SINCE ESB!!!!! wink

mephistodesigns
HERE HERE! beer

queeq
THERE THERE as well. wink

AnakinFan
In Attack of the Clones Lucas asked for a romance. He got one however when you check the deleted scenes they were all the romance scenes. Lucas can't do romance. The dialogue was typical robotic Lucas. I hope he takes a back seat but he is so excited over this being the last Star Wars I don't see him not getting involved.

I think this one will be better because Ewan and Hayden asked to be allowed to do a bit of their own dialogue interchange... I just hope it flows. I'm looking forward to this movie.

Ushgarak
He was getting aid on the script but the romance was certainly not the most convincing part of it all, no.

But Ewan McGregor is good, and Anakin is much more convincing as evil Anakin than good Anakin so I have hopes.

mephistodesigns
yeaaah! Hayden can get intense when he wants to. Seen Life as a House? I saw that and was like he is going to make a great Vader! He plays the wounded angry person with internal conflict quite well. And the funny thing is, in one of the interviews he did, I think Maxim, before II came out he said he's really not like that in real life. He says he really polite and nice. Guess thats why good Ani is such a wuss! big grin

Lyn
I really liked AOTC music, especially Across The Stars--that is one of the lovliest pieces I have ever heard!! I will never get sick of hearing it!!
Duel Of The Fates was a memorable one, like the Imperial March or Yoda's Theme )all of which I think are amazing!!)
I loved Luke & Leia's theme!! I hope that is in Ep3 too mephisto, and I agree that Padme should also have a theme all her own.
I hope this thing about Ewan & Hayden contributing to the lines, or whatever, actually happens...

mephistodesigns
yeah, they're both from primarily independant films which tend to have much more personal dialogue. As for AOTC music, I watched it last night and it isn't bad. I just think we need to have a full soundtrack of it to really make a full opinion. All I have to go on is that weak single disk one. I want one like the Special Ed. soundtracks, those were really nicely done with alternates, source music, and edited to the film without comprimising the score.

queeq
You WATCH a soundtrack???? Try listening next time. stick out tongue

mephistodesigns
I watched the MOVIE @$$hole! jeez laughing out loud ...must remember to read my posts before hitting enter... embarrasment

Lames.s.
I think we all need to relax. Remember these movies are what George Lucas sees the Stars Wars universe as. This is his baby, not ours. We are just supposed to sit back and enjoy the show. Over analizing them only subtract from the enjoyment. Nothing is perfect...even real life has plot holes....from a certain point of view.

Ushgarak
What, so people are not allowed to point out the flaws in something? What an odd thing to say.

finti
Star Wars have flaws??????????????????

mephistodesigns
Where?

Lames.s.
There is a difference between pointing out flaws and disecting the saga (which I am not saying everyone is guilty of, but i'm sure you have see it for your self from time to time) I just think that we should let some of the little things slide

Darth Hater
there's quite a bit of over analizing on thise MB

Ushgarak
Let them analyze.

Fire
yea, that's what makes Sw that good, imo, you can discover a lot in everything in the movie. everything has its own story and reason

mephistodesigns
hey, I've seen both Hater and Ush analyzing! wink stick out tongue

Stuart Larkins
as true as it was, when ti all came down to it. Lightsabers. I have to say the acting besides hayden sadly, was better then Phantom because of the little boy and jar jar that just messed uup a lot and that gungun :: shakes his cheeks violently going ohhhhhhhh :: screwed the movie up a little. The only time I liked anakin was when he was fighting dooku and killing tuskin raiders, and the big fight with yoda, and all the jedis with their sabers going. Same with Phantom only time I enjoyed it was lightsaber fights, is that wrong, am I messed up, do I long for violence?????

LOOK WHAT I CAN DO :: DOES A LITTLE JIG ::

queeq
It really says you were watching AOTC music.... stick out tongue

J/K

mephistodesigns
SHUT-UP! Leave my crappy wording alone!

" you go to hell, you go to hell and you die!"- Mr. Hat, South Park stick out tongue laughing out loud

Darth Hater
i never said there was anything wrong with analyzing....of course i do it...

i'm talkin about OVER-analyzing

Ushgarak
And I disagree that there is any so leave people to it.

Lyn
Lames.s, I agree with what you're saying in one respect; I mean, don't get me wrong, analysing/speculating or whatever is fine--gees, I do it all the time!! stick out tongue wink

But I do see where you're coming from, SW are a series of 5 HUGE films that have spanned decades, of course it's not going to be perfect...all we can do is enjoy it, which I intend to do happy

Oh, and Stuart, there's nothing wrong with enjoying the lightsaber battles--they are REALLY cool!! thumb up

queeq
The OT was not perfect. Not even ESB was perfect, but what a movie!!!

finti
ESB not perfect????????????????????????????
"I wonder if your feeelings are clear on this matter queeq"

yerssot
it was a close-call then?

Lames.s.
Like I said, analyzing is fine. I just think we need to realize that even in the real world there are plot holes and inconsistencies...it just depends on which perspective of any given event or story you choose to believe. Perception is reality.

Darth Hater
And I disagree that there is any so leave people to it.

rolling on floor laughing laughing out loud

Lames.s.
Me too, I dont think there have been any that cannot be explained some how.

StarWars_Fan
If you were a true Starwars fan you would apperiate Episode I and II even if they were bad, after watching them several times i thought they were both fantastic and i can't wait until Episode III.

finti
I am a true SW fan but I have to agree with those who says EP I and II were far from good. We who grew up with the OT are kind of "spoiled" cause they were awsome flicks, but then again the PT aint aimed at my age group

Darth Hater
i agree

episodes 1 & 2 are nowhere near as good as the OT

Lyn
I agree with you SW_Fan thumb up

KOkid
While I did enjoy Episodes 1 and 2, i agree the OT is just better storytelling, I think the story was just more important to GL back then, NOT that the stories are bad, by any means. I do think that Episode 3 does have the potential to be the closest to ESB, which in my opinion is, and most likely will always be, the best of the six films.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.