Star Wars is cool, Star Trek is cool, witch is cooler?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

pecsi
Both are cool, wich do you think is cooler? and why, give your reasons for likeing it more then the other. Me i Like Star Trek better. because it is about people not about wars! cool

finti
Star Trek are for the cluless it is extremly bad. And Star Trek is about galactical conflicts as well. And in my mind nothing happens in the ST movies.
I like SW because it has nothing to do with Earth.

pecsi
Ya well i like Star Trek because it has somthing to do with Earth, if you havn't figured this out by now Earth is our "home world"! and the star trek movies do go some were! they boldly go some were!

<<< Removed Spam >>>

Ushgarak
Yes, the witch is cooler...

Sorry, I mis-understood.

Ok, StarTrek has done some great sutff over time. Next Gen especially was never afraid to push back boundaries with episodes like 'Frame of Mind', or even put good spin on cliched ideas in 'Cause and Effect'

First Contact may not have been a proper Star Trek film per se, buit it DID so that Star Trek can do action if it wants.

To be fair, I think both series have both their massive wars and personal relationships... Star Trek has a lot more time, however, so more personal development is inevitable.

Sadly Star Trek often goes massivley off-course, as the closing Voyager episodes lurch on, moslty pointlessly. And for me, it has never QUITE caught my imagination in the same way Star Wars did.

So, my vote is for Star Wars. But I like them both, thought ST should know when to stop...

zereil
From my perspective I like them both but I would suugest that I find Star Trek The optomist and Star Wars the realist. Given that my general attitude to life is that I find shiny bright sparkly things are not the only way forward I will go with Star Wars any day...I stand with the Realists...

pecsi
yes in genral star wars is more real and star trek is more optamistic, but have you ever heard of some one having the force? in that respect star wars could never hapen. and star trek has the telapaths but they are alians and so that could hapen.

ratcat
Telekinesis and mind reading are two very well documents, though still not entirely proven skills. The ability to channel ones life energy is the basis of many martial arts skills.

These are the three main elements of the Force....

The Universe is a BIG place and therefore it is a certainly that there is other life out there, and a good chance that a lot of it is much more advanced than we are.

There are concepts and sciences that we just have no way of understanding or even contemplating. One day we will get out there and probably will find other life forms, but this is probably a good few millenia away.

Star Trek and Star Wars are works of fiction, I see where Zereil is coming from though. Star Trek was originally built around an almost Utopian concept, which they have subsequently worked to correct in later incarnations of the series. Star Wars is built around a concept of War and this is much closer to what we might conrrently consier to be normal nature. Whether that is right or wrong is another conversation entirely though.

JediOasis
Just read the book called "The Science of Star Wars" it will explain everything. big grin And as far as which is better, Star Wars. I never really got into ST, no offense to anybody, but I always thought it was boring.

Ushgarak
I feel I sbnould say that in no way is StrTrek less ridiculous that Star Wars... hafe you seen somemof the complete nonsense some of the writers have spouted? They've had several hundred episodes to get more weird in, so fair enough.

The Force may be an unbelievable concept, but at least SW has never dredged the terribly nonsensical path of time travel... and a dozen other nutty things.

And as far both series' view on gravity...

Of course, it doesn't matter. Everyone accepts that sci-fi is nonsense, in the same way they like wizards in fantasy. It's part of the point.

But let it never be said that ST is more believable than most of the stuff out there...

Howeverm, I dispute the stance that SW is the realist to STs optimist. They are BOTH optimists, just they take different paths. ST is about Utopianism, SW is personal redemption.

You're not telling me that the end of ROTJ was anything other than pure optimism, are you?

'Realist' sci-fi bleongs to the Babylon 5s and Space: Above and Beyonds of this world.

Darth Pants
Everyone seems to have forgotten the Q's. They're the Star Trek equivalent of Force users, with far more unrealistic powers.

Ushgarak
Oh, the ST universe is full of super-powerful beings... but to be fair, the Q can't really be called the equivalent of Force Users.

ratcat
The Q are more godlike than anything else.

ratcat
The Q are more godlike than anything else.

stupid
Both are purdy cool. Prior to the release of Episode 1 I would have said Star Wars, for sure, but now I am getting quite into Star Trek, even though TNG was a bit girly. Episode 1 was awful. rolling on floor laughing

Gundark
I like old Star Trek, because I get a kick out of camp and its cool today I think because of the campiness, much the same as the original batman. But I am true and true to George and his "little space thing".

darth fester
mmmmmmmmmmmm i like the star trek movies

but star wars for me

voyager and deep space nine are boring

i think weve got to remember two words
science and fiction

its all a bit of fun

i was checking out the bbc forums and theres a site dedicated to eastenders and the people on there talk about it like we talk about star wars

now thats sad

ratcat
I find with Star Trek that there are a lot of Mundane bits, sprinkled with some amazingly classic stuff. I refer to things like.

The Best of Both Worlds - TNG
Scorpion - V
Times Arrow - TNG
All Good Things - TNG
Past Tense - DS9
Trials and Tribble-ations - DS9
Futures Edn - V

Just MHO OC

Darth Gehenna
Star Trek First Contact is one of the coolest Science Fiction films around. Both Star Wars and Star Trek have their qualities, so both are cool, neither are cooler than the other. big grin

Vicky
Gotta admit I prefer SW, though I do watch ST sometimes. I think the reason why people love Star Wars so much is the reason why I prefer it; it's a completely different world. Star Trek is still about humans from Earth, whilst Star Wars is total fantasy. It took place in a galaxy far, far away. What do you guys think?

Chewbacca
Oh my God...no offense, but I think Star Trek is consumed of horrible costumes, consisting of halloween masks, and dracula capes. Star Wars is so much better, you have no idea. No offense to anyone here, but I remember getting in a debate with some other guy on this. Then he was speechless when I brought up the fact that no Star Trek movie was even in the Top 100 ever, yet all 4 Star Wars movies are in the Top 15

leonglee
No offence, but being into Star Wars has a lot more street cred than being a 'Trekkie'. Besides, Star Wars was revolutionary in its day and the first three episodes remain fresh today. I doubt the same can be said for any Star Trek episode or film. rolling on floor laughing

Coreworld
Hmmmm, let's see now, so the new Star Trek series is a prequel to the original series and the next movie features clones, where've i heard this before? laughing out loud

Ushgarak
I wouodn't get into THAT war; ST fans can hit back just as hard...

DinosaurBob
Well, I personally have always liked
StarTrek more.
Lots of the DeepSpace9 were
O.K. smile
Voyager usually is pointless. sad
Next Gen rocks, espesically
Jean Luc Picard and Data. big grin
And the campiness of StarTrek (the original)
was just great. And Arena was one of
the best episodes ever. rolling on floor laughing
Episode 1 was incredibly bad, thanks
to the imp Jar-Jar Binks. evil face
The rest of the Star War movies were good,
but not as good as Star Trek. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Bad_Hair_Day
Star Wars has Aliens which DONT speak English, but there both gr8 fantasy and every1 2 there own opinion anywy, Still i prefer Star Wars sooo much betta cool

skule
Well for me i like em both, however seeing as Star Trek is a series, with some of the same old themes being played out kinda makes it boring a little, dont get be wrong i still love Kirk and his crew and Picard and his and consider myself a definate fan, however Star Wars has this grand saga theme which overshadows Star Trek definatly, if i had to choose Star Wars is better for me, Star Trek is 2nd i guess. Well thats my 2 cents.

glenn
Star wars is more cooler because there is more of a story to it.
cool cool

happy kine
i have to say star wars by a mile... when i first saw star wars when i was 8 years old i watched it 40 times in the first week i had it. it started off with a giant starship chasing a smaller ship then when darth vader entered the ship it sent chills down my spine. the laght sabers were the coolest things ever.

star trek did do some ground breaking stuff as far as science fiction goes but it never captured me like star wars. i don't think any movie will ever capture me like the first starwars did when i was a kid just discovering the world around me... it lead me into another world.

Darth Vicious
While Star Wars is way cooler than Star Trek, the thing i like about ST is that it has a couple of generations to it, we got to see how everything began and maved on and while i love Star Wars is mostly based around the Skywalker family besides that we ge no expansion to the saga, while i know it aint gonna happen wouldnt b cool to have a SW series or mini series!

glenn
Yeah it would be good to have a liitle mini series to see how Lukes getting on and what his family is up to.

Rave
I think they both have their strong points.They both have good storys.

Metroplex
I don't watch Star Trek, but ill say Star Wars.

robincooper
star trek i think has more room to be expanded where as starwars hasn't! but it still love both!

ChinaNiki
I have to go with Star Wars because Star Trek never garnered my interest even though my dad is a Trekkie.

Godshinto
I would have to go with Star trek only because you see the almost every day lifes of living on a space ship. Star Wars tend to stay close to the planet or hovering around planets or going to planets. So Each one has it's own great points but I think with the long running series of Star Trek will win out there

Kes
Since I dont like star trek (dont shot!) I have to say star wars stick out tongue

Came on guys?? Han Solo, jedis! Def. the coolestbig grin

Godshinto
Yhea but you just said it there are very few charachters in Star Wars, in Star Trek they have several charachter to choose from some with the same intrest as you and so it's easier to relate to them. You really can't relate to he fadding Jedi with their unrealistic powers and their almost superhuman fighting skills atleast Star Trek is more realistic.

DeepThought
Have that same book! Intersting read, I must say.

I always felt one glaring thing about STar Trek that was just wrong..

Everything is too clean. Like at the beginning of Insurrection, they're farming and they're STILL CLEAN. No dirt! How odd!

Lucas always said he wanted his galaxy to look 'lived in'. One look at the Millenium Falcon shows he accomplished that!

Star trek does have more time to develop characters, I'll always love Star Trek 2, 3, and 4, due to the interaction between Bones, Spock, and Kirk. Kinda lost interest after them...

Kes
Star trek realistic? blink
The jedi powers its what makes it cooler. Relating to the characters has nothing to do with coolness in my opinion smile

ChinaNiki
I always loved the Ewoks. They are sooo cute. And musical. bunny

Godshinto
You have to be able to relate to something to know if it's cool or not otherwise what's cool anything that you don't know about or is every movie cool to you because you haven't set a standard for coolnes in movies.

Baylin
I love em both, but it's def Star Wars for me.

I dont watch a lot of tv but when I do it's for pure escapism therefore ST is a little too close to home where as SW is a whole different universe. Same reason I like Farscape....

Kes
I dont relate to Star trek and just because you have to relate in order for something to be cool doesn't mean others do to.
Normally I dont like futuristic movies for some reason I liked Star wars so its cool. I think its the light saberstick out tongue

Lt.Columbo
I love the old Star Treks, I would choose them over Star Wars anytime.

ChinaNiki
I think Star Wars is more fun because it doesn't relate to Earth. In Star Trek they come to Earth and see whales. I can watch animal planet and see whales.

chica16
i'd have to go with Star Wars

scifigunslinger
I think Star Trek sucks,Next Generation is o.k. Star Wars is awesome

Godshinto
Some people would say that Star Trek the first series had to be the best personaly I liked the Voyager series the best, because of Jeri Ryan playing 7 of 9 of course which one would you rather have . Jeri Ryan http://users.bigpond.net.au/adamdavini/jeri%20ryan%20-%20silver%20body.jpg
or Natalie Portman http://www.metroactive.com/papers/metro/05.16.02/gifs/starwars-0220.jpg

justinday15
Natalie Portman!!!!

Kes
lol Godshinto I must say I don't like star trek but I did see a few eps of Voyager but I think the strongest character is Cap Janeway. But I'm a girl and don't follow womens looks stick out tongue

Ushgarak
No... Janeway is possibly the WORST character they ever made...

Kes
I found her very appealing!

Godshinto
Well I follow womens curves all up and down those 36 24 36 combinations. if you know what I mean. Wink Wink

Kes
laughing out loud

scifigunslinger
Natalie Portman wins that one.

Lt.Columbo
The Star Trek movie with the whales is my fave one! The origional Star Trek is the only good star trek series, even better than Star Wars IMO.

Kes
The one with william shatner(sp)? Yeks..so corny.

Baylin
Mmmmm Jeri Ryan *wonders away drooling*

Lt.Columbo
Yeah, the fourth one with shatner. I remember a funny part where Kirk goes, "If we play our cards right, we can get those two whales". and Spock replies with, "If you think playing cards would help Captain"!!!!!
Theres another part too, when a woman goes to spock, "let me know if you change your mind" and Spock replies, "Whats wrong with the one I have?"!!! Sooooo Funny!

brownie
Got ot go with Star Wars. Star Trek,ahh, not my cup of tea I guess you could say. Just doesnt seem that enjoyable to watch. I guess the word Im looking for is BORING..

mardook
I have to say Star Trek!
Star Wars is fun and all but it is merely space opera.
I won't say why because it is irrelevant because I happen to like both,

smile

CaptainTrips
star trek has a timeless feel to it for one solitary reason..all the actors in every off-shoot believe with all their hearts that the blank screen they are staring at really has some formidable foe on it..george lucas has disgraced the star wars legend because he has spent so many years developing special fx for other films via ILM that now he feels he has to jump in his little CGI sandbox and not only play aimlessly with his toys but shove them in our faces..ultimately his once borderline spiritual universe has become nothing more than eye candy..a distraction from the cardboard acting and virtually invisible plotline of his new films..in short they suck..i didnt wait 20 years for Lucas to make movies aimed at my 6 year old..she hates the originals..it used to be about the characters and the story..how everything that happened led to something critical in the plot..now instead of hearing anakin say.."I find your lack of faith disturbing" we hear him say "yippie!! im gonna be a jedi!!" ROFLMAO..sorry, i was just remembering the scene. at any rate lucas has one final attempt to impress me because us 30 somethings are the one's that wanted to see these new films..hopefully, i will be downright scared outta my wits when anakin goes totally darkside bonkers..the way i was scared when captain piet came into vader's chambers to inform him they had come out of hyperspace and entered the hoth system...that was good film making..oh wait..that was empire..lucas didnt direct that one **SLAPS SELF ON FOREHEAD**
anyway..may the midi-chlorians be in your bloodstream coz if not, apparently the force aint gonna do you a @#*@&$ piece of good

CaptainTrips
oh and if i were a Q confronted by a Jedi..I would just snap my fingers and turn all his midi-chlorians into sickle cells..rendering useless and very very ill

CaptainTrips
*in best homer simpson voice* MMMMMM...Jerri Ryan!!!!!!! DROOL AAGGH

Mist
i have to say star wars is my favourite, who doesn't like lightsabers?
star trek is good cause it has many episodes with different storys.
star wars is a set story, nothing can change because the later episodes (4,5,6) were filmed before the (1,2,3) movies. So you kind of know whats gonna happen in the third film. Star trek nemesis looks cool, i havent seen it yet.

GGgrievous725
well both are cool but star trek has just gone haywire i only liked it when it had bones and kirk so star wars because its got lightsabers and blasters who cares if star trek people can transport we got hyperspace on star wars WOOHOO! Happy Dance

pr1983
star wars is definately cooler...

but star trek has more depth to it imo...

ragesRemorse
lightsabers,blasters, thongs, and the force...what else needs to be said. The rest of the geek shit cancels each other out between the two. What you have left over is lightsabers,blasters, thongs and the force. against phasers

wuTa
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
lightsabers,blasters, thongs, and the force...what else needs to be said. The rest of the geek shit cancels each other out between the two. What you have left over is lightsabers,blasters, thongs and the force. against phasers

and we have a winner

starwars

Jackie Malfoy
Star Wars is way cooler then Star Trex inleast that is what I think!jm smile

Mr Parker
If were talking about the original series,then thats a very tough question because the original series and the movies are awesome.But if were talking about the spinoffs starting with the next generation,then thats an easy one to answer.STAR WARS.the next generation and all the other spinoffs suck.they are crap.

pr1983
Originally posted by Mr Parker
If were talking about the original series,then thats a very tough question because the original series and the movies are awesome.But if were talking about the spinoffs starting with the next generation,then thats an easy one to answer.STAR WARS.the next generation and all the other spinoffs suck.they are crap.

did you even watch them?

while i'll agree that voyager was piss... ds9 was something very special...

Doctor Strange
I don't understand why people insist on comparing Star Trek and Star Wars, they're completely different types of science-fiction.

Joam
I think star trek is boring there is no adventure and i agree the costumes are really bad. personally i think star wars is the way better, the adventure is great and there is lots of cool fight scenes. also the costumes in sw are more realistic and don't look fake.

DarkCrawler
Star Wars is better.

shaber
The orion woman costume is pretty good droolio

LLG
I would say Star Wars. Star Trek was pretty good too.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by pr1983
did you even watch them?

while i'll agree that voyager was piss... ds9 was something very special...

Never saw Voyager or the thers after Next Generation.,I could not watch anymore of the spinofs after taking a chance on that god awful next generation with capt picard and crew. sick

shaber
ds9 was something very special... Hey, I'm Rumplestiltskin! evil face

pr1983
Never saw Voyager or the thers after Next Generation.,I could not watch anymore of the spinofs after taking a chance on that god awful next generation with capt picard and crew. sick

how many seasons of tng did you watch?

Mr Parker
one. that was more than enough.maybe a few the second season.

Lana
I never was able to get into ST, it didn't appeal to me at all. Despite my one friend's best efforts to get me to like it laughing out loud

Star Wars, on the other hand, immediately drew me in from the first time I saw the movies. So definitely SW.

Darth Odious
Star Trek suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks! Of course that's just my opinion.

Doctor Strange
And what an intelligent opinion it is.

pr1983
one. that was more than enough.maybe a few the second season.

then you missed out...

the best seasons were 3-7...

Mr Parker
Naw I didnt miss anything.I could never enjoy it because I did not like Picard as The Captain.He was way too old for the part and he didnt seem authoritive enough in that role.Riker would have been a better choice for the captain.He was a lot closer to the age range that Shatner was when he was captain kirk.Now I would be able to buy him as a captain.Plus you just cant have star trek without Mr Spock.But the thing that bugged me more than anything else and I had a friend back then who agreed with me on this one who DID like the show,was that guy shorty I think his name was.those hokey looking sunglasses.man this isnt a disco joint.with that kind of crap going on in that show,no way could I have enjoyed it those seasons.

pr1983
Naw I didnt miss anything.I could never enjoy it because I did not like Picard as The Captain.He was way too old for the part and he didnt seem authoritive enough in that role.Riker would have been a better choice for the captain.He was a lot closer to the age range that Shatner was when he was captain kirk.Now I would be able to buy him as a captain.Plus you just cant have star trek without Mr Spock.But the thing that bugged me more than anything else and I had a friend back then who agreed with me on this one who DID like the show,was that guy shorty I think his name was.those hokey looking sunglasses.man this isnt a disco joint.with that kind of crap going on in that show,no way could I have enjoyed it those seasons.

ok, granted about the glasses... they were a bit silly...

and im not a fan of picard, i never was... but the show had some good stories and some really great episodes...

and picard had been a captain before... the enterprise was his second ship... they wanted a diplomat, someone older than kirk...

shaber
The skintight costumes were rathyer awkward when William Shatner became old and fat!

jango fatt
Star-Wars all the way,man!!!!!
Star trek just sucks like hell.
i watched the next generations once.
I fell asleep after 15 min.

jango fatt
Star-Wars 3 's the best movie ever, after Fargo,reservoir dogs & Jackie Brown

pr1983
revenge of the sith? how would you know?

Silver_Blaze
I ain't a real fan of ether of them, letting a serise or a movie take over peoples lives is kinda weird to me >.> But that's just what I think, and if they enjoy life doing that, it's good and I'm happy for them =D

So I'll choose... Star Wars... No wait... Star Trek... Oh forget it I choose Trek Wars =P XD Or Star Star.... But nah =/ Nether for me

Mr Parker
Originally posted by jango fatt
Star-Wars all the way,man!!!!!
Star trek just sucks like hell.
i watched the next generations once.
I fell asleep after 15 min.

I noticed you mentioned the next generation.as you can tell,I obviously agree with you on that..How about the original star trek,did you not enjoy that show either?

OB1-adobe
Originally posted by pecsi
yes in genral star wars is more real and star trek is more optamistic, but have you ever heard of some one having the force?

Star Wars is still more real, even though nobody here can use the force.

Lets see, what would most resemble the events of this planet:

1. Evil corrupt people overthrowing an running governments through decpetion, while people begin to rebel and fight back.

OR

2. Everybody is peace loving on this planet because we don't need to use money in the future, we work to better ourselves. And thats why we have peaceful organized unilateral government.

I would have to go with #1

Star Trek is still cool in my book, I would buy all of it if it was'nt so ridiclousy expensive

WindDancer
Both are cooler. Is just a shame that the obsess fanboys (or nerds if you prefer) undermine each other.

hayden's minx
I'd say my personal preference is Star Wars, although I enjoy star trek- but i like Star Wars on an unhealthy level.

y_monkee
man! star wars shits all over star trek .... now even a valid question to make

TheAnimal
im not a star trek fan but i did catch an old episode on sci'fi and thought ok this bites the dust. star wars is better because a. story wise. and b. it captured millions of people. sw was basicly a film to be fun acording to lucas. star trek is more space oddesy. star wars wins hands down.

vaya_the_elf
I always pick Star Wars over star trek. Never was a star trek fan. It bores me.

Star wars I always thought was cool, and I'm excited about the movie. I hear yoda will fight again. And of course I want to see how they do Darth Vader. I've already got my tickets for it.

shaber
Originally posted by vaya_the_elf
Never was a star trek fan. It bores me.

This post should be deleted no expression

pr1983
Originally posted by shaber
This post should be deleted no expression

indeed... sorry vaya, but its true...

ApolloX
Star Wars is cooler.

pr1983
Originally posted by ApolloX
Star Wars is cooler.

undoubtedly...

but comparing the two in the first place is wrong...

both are too different to compare...

dusty123
Originally posted by Silver_Blaze
I ain't a real fan of ether of them, letting a serise or a movie take over peoples lives is kinda weird to me >.> But that's just what I think, and if they enjoy life doing that, it's good and I'm happy for them =D

So I'll choose... Star Wars... No wait... Star Trek... Oh forget it I choose Trek Wars =P XD Or Star Star.... But nah =/ Nether for me

big grin LOL..I think it's all about an individuals taste/imagination/personality. Star Trek or Star Wars? Both can be laughable. Both can be entertaining. But in the end...both are, science fiction.

ragesRemorse
I think i have seen one hot chik in star trek, granted i have only seen two in the star wars world, but that is still one more than trek.

you know, i always wondered, if star trek has such a large following and fan base, why do the movies alays do so poorly? Oh yeah, because they suck. Even when star wars movies suck, they break records.

SWGEEK
well i have to say that star wars is much, much cooler but star trek is old school which makes it cool too. But not as cool as STAR WARS

darth marinus
Both are cool, wich do you think is cooler? and why, give your reasons for likeing it more then the other. Me i Like Star Trek better. because it is about people not about wars! cool star wars is way cooler than star trek.

darth marinus
Originally posted by darth marinus
star wars is way cooler than star trek.

darth marinus
i like them both but i prefer star wars.

limpjeff
Think about this for a minute:

You've wasted precious minutes of your life on a movie/Saga/TV show. No really, you only have one life and you've just wasted it. All the time you've spent, all the money. George Lucas is sitting on the beach sipping martini's thanks to people just like you.

Now I know you aren't a bad person. You are just misled. Wake up from the Hollywood nightmare!! Please, give humanity a reason to exist!

Mainstream
Trek more consistent

Wat Tambor
Star Wars is 10 times better then Star Trek because star trek has no real good storybig grin and star trek suchslaughing

Mainstream
um okay and may the force be with you.

pr1983
Originally posted by Wat Tambor
Star Wars is 10 times better then Star Trek because star trek has no real good storybig grin and star trek suchslaughing

have you ever watched star trek?

GroovieMovies13
I personally like them equally - although I hate the movies where captain kirk is tres old - the earlier ones are better.
The star wars movies are classics, you can't not like them, but star wars as a tv series is better than the movies.
That's my view

Fëanor
it's gotten to where there are two camps: trekkers and SW fan's....so sad that they can't just get along and enjoy the fact that they have one thing in common: a love for science fiction

and i happen to like both SW and ST....erm

KharmaDog
Which is better Star Trek or Star Wars? That's easy...

Happy Dance Farscape. Happy Dance

TIE-Hunter21
I like star trek only for ship design but i would rather have a super star destroyer fully equipped and under my command than a voyager class or a Enterprise-E (but they look cool0

TIE-Hunter21
farecape is good but look for a stargate!

"The name is Olo. Hans Olo

kanis
alien Me I started out as a star trek fan but when the enterprise series came out I went off star trek and joined the star wars fans, but I still like star trek but star wars has more of a expanded universe than star trek. And is more enjoyable.

kanis
alien And farscape owns

hypermelissa
It appears that Star Trek is not being defended enough. Allthat those that say Star Trek "sucks" and is boring have never seen past The Next Generation or their movies. Obviously, they would not have seen such Deep Space Nine which is dark. The characters all have flaws and personality traits and they never always do the right thing. Voyager is quite well done as well. The characters also have flaws (although they never really got into Harry Kim as much as I would have liked them to) TNG is by far my least favorite Star Trek spin off. I could go into detail but since this isn't a debate over which Trek is the best, I digress.

Before I prove points I will state that I love Star Trek as much as I do Star Wars. I have seen every single Star Trek episode and movie at least five times and I have also watched all the Star Wars movies and played both Nights of The Old Republic to the end. I am a diehard ci-fi fan and I know that I am a geek. Laugh if you wish to. I don't care.

The costuming in Star Trek is actually very well done. If you judge only by the Star Fleet uniform then you are sadly misled.
I believe that it was stated in a previous post(s) that Star Trek is about everybody being peaceloving on Earth and working to better ourselves. This is true, Earth in Star Trek is Socialism at its finest although it still has its probelms. It also disregarded the fact that there are other planets that aren't as "evolved" as humans are. "Evolved humans" are put in question in many episodes such as the Siege of something or other. There, humans are fighting to retain a key point from an enemy (yes, they do go to war) and left there for months. They are edgey, unpleasant to be around and, yes, dirty(as was previously posted that it wasn't in Star Trek. Although the comment may only include the movies which is correct.) And a non human that came there also (I won't explain the reasons or the episode to you) that humans are a happy, friendly people but take away their holosuites (an entertainment in Star Trek), showers, and full bellies and they are as violent as the most blood thirsty klingon(a violent species)

To go back on topic with the probelms of Earth, it is shown very well in the episodes where there is a scare that shapeshifters are on earth. They are the enemy to Earth and the Federation during a war. Mass paranoia was taken to the public and tests to prove that you were in fact not a shapeshifter were taken. An innocent man (a main character) had a booched test and thought that he was a shapeshifter and as such put in prison. In reality it was a high ranking Star Fleet officer who did this because he believed that Earth needed to be a sort of "police state" if you will. Point the second is Section 31. They are a rogue group of Federation citizens whose sole purpose is to protect the Federation at all costs. They assassinate, spy, meddle in internal planetary affairs of other planets (it is against the law). They even have high ranking officers in Star Fleet. Star Fleet has turned a blind eye to them because they are helping them when Section 31 is as well, undermining the very foundations that the Federation was founded on. If that isn't curruption, I don't know what is.

I could go indepth on the curruption of the Dominion, Klingons, Romulans, Cardassions etc. but I don't have enough time. Star Trek needed a good defense to some of those ignorant to it.

pr1983
Originally posted by hypermelissa
It appears that Star Trek is not being defended enough. Allthat those that say Star Trek "sucks" and is boring have never seen past The Next Generation or their movies. Obviously, they would not have seen such Deep Space Nine which is dark. The characters all have flaws and personality traits and they never always do the right thing. Voyager is quite well done as well. The characters also have flaws (although they never really got into Harry Kim as much as I would have liked them to) TNG is by far my least favorite Star Trek spin off. I could go into detail but since this isn't a debate over which Trek is the best, I digress.

Before I prove points I will state that I love Star Trek as much as I do Star Wars. I have seen every single Star Trek episode and movie at least five times and I have also watched all the Star Wars movies and played both Nights of The Old Republic to the end. I am a diehard ci-fi fan and I know that I am a geek. Laugh if you wish to. I don't care.

The costuming in Star Trek is actually very well done. If you judge only by the Star Fleet uniform then you are sadly misled.
I believe that it was stated in a previous post(s) that Star Trek is about everybody being peaceloving on Earth and working to better ourselves. This is true, Earth in Star Trek is Socialism at its finest although it still has its probelms. It also disregarded the fact that there are other planets that aren't as "evolved" as humans are. "Evolved humans" are put in question in many episodes such as the Siege of something or other. There, humans are fighting to retain a key point from an enemy (yes, they do go to war) and left there for months. They are edgey, unpleasant to be around and, yes, dirty(as was previously posted that it wasn't in Star Trek. Although the comment may only include the movies which is correct.) And a non human that came there also (I won't explain the reasons or the episode to you) that humans are a happy, friendly people but take away their holosuites (an entertainment in Star Trek), showers, and full bellies and they are as violent as the most blood thirsty klingon(a violent species)

To go back on topic with the probelms of Earth, it is shown very well in the episodes where there is a scare that shapeshifters are on earth. They are the enemy to Earth and the Federation during a war. Mass paranoia was taken to the public and tests to prove that you were in fact not a shapeshifter were taken. An innocent man (a main character) had a booched test and thought that he was a shapeshifter and as such put in prison. In reality it was a high ranking Star Fleet officer who did this because he believed that Earth needed to be a sort of "police state" if you will. Point the second is Section 31. They are a rogue group of Federation citizens whose sole purpose is to protect the Federation at all costs. They assassinate, spy, meddle in internal planetary affairs of other planets (it is against the law). They even have high ranking officers in Star Fleet. Star Fleet has turned a blind eye to them because they are helping them when Section 31 is as well, undermining the very foundations that the Federation was founded on. If that isn't curruption, I don't know what is.

I could go indepth on the curruption of the Dominion, Klingons, Romulans, Cardassions etc. but I don't have enough time. Star Trek needed a good defense to some of those ignorant to it.

well said...

it was ar-588 i think...

also when sisko blatanlty lied to the romulans to get them to join the war... hippy? i dont think so...

qubit
Star Wars I, II, III: great FX, terrible plots, terrible acting, terrible editing
Star Wars IV: seminal movie, good effects for the time, simple but integral plot, simple archetypal characters
Star Wars V, VI: good sequals with solid, albeit simple and linear plot/character development, bad editing
Overall Star Wars: characters are too simplistic to have any real emotional impact, plot is too simple to provide any real intellectual interest, but a great rollercoster ride if you ignore that, not really science fiction, just pure fantasy -- absolutely no attempt to deal with science at all

Star Trek TOS: campy, seminal TV series which introduced a mixed race cast
Star Trek TNG: challenged viewers by not having a cookie-cut Hollywood captain, interesting character development, some interesting moral issues
Star Trek DS9: sorry never watched it; might do, but never thought a Trek should be on a station
Star Trek Voy: female captain -- daring move; some interesting plots, but all-in-all too repetitive, sappy and soapy
Star Trek TMP: cool to see TOS crew back together; not cool to see the stupid uniforms; cool to see the same camp; cool concept with v'ger
Star Trek II WoK: good character exploration and conflict; better costumes
Star Trek III SfS: a little bit too soapy, no really new SciFi concepts, just a simple story about two friends
Star Trek IV TVH: directed by Nimoy (which is neither here nor there); the beginning of the ST obsession with time travel (yawn)
Star Trek V TFF: directed by Shatner, simply rubbish, but not surprising
Star Trek VI TUC: slightly better than IV and V, but still a formulaic rehash of old concepts
Star Trek Gen: nice to see the TNG crew together again; disappointed by poor script and bad direction
Star Trek FC: better acting, better script, tired of the BORG already (yawn), time travel (bigger yawn)
Star Trek Ins: same old, same old -- nothing new
Star Trek Nem: BIIIIIG FLOP, mediocre plot, mediocre script, mediocre everything
Overall Star Trek: interesting in the begining, should have stopped while they were ahead, the ST spirit died with Roddenberry, can be casually labelled science fiction -- there was some attempt to draw from credible scientific sources (minimal, but at leas there was an effort)

Preference?
For FX: SW
For vision: ST
For imagination: SW
For moral exploration: ST
For character exploration: ST
For scientific credibility: ST (a little)

pr1983
Firstly, alot of that i would agree on... but...

DS9 imo is a show you simply have to watch before judging star trek... it had some of the best tv writing i've ever seen in a show... it all seemed to click so well together...

first contact... tired of the borg? before voyager came along they were on of the greatest enemies in star trek...

scientific credibility? Star trek by far...

though i agree with the others...

KharmaDog
Farscape is still better wink

Darth-x-Padme
i dont know but as a kid i used to watch star trek but now i watch star wars more because i relate to anakin skywalker alot in the film and i love Hayden Christensen laughing

Darth_Glentract
SW is better

pr1983
Originally posted by KharmaDog
Farscape is still better wink

sure it is...

Originally posted by Darth-x-Padme
i dont know but as a kid i used to watch star trek but now i watch star wars more because i relate to anakin skywalker alot in the film and i love Hayden Christensen laughing

no expression

Originally posted by Darth_Glentract
SW is better

wonderful argument...

tacobueno
they both make me sick.

DarkJedi911
Well, if you haven't noticed lately, Star Wars was like way way WAY more in the future than StarTrek.I like Star Wars because it shows a moral to all the movies. The moral is....love one another no matter what!That moral is being showed in every Star Wars movie. Ep.I, Obi Won loved Qui-Gonn soo much that he didn't want him to die. Ep.II, when Dooku and Obi Won were fighting, and when Obi got hit by the lightsaber and was fixing to get cut in-half by Dooku, Anakin saved his life! Ep.III, Obi Won loved Anakin sooo much that he talked to him about how much he loved him and didn't want to lose him after he cut off Anakin's legs and arm(sorry if this is a spoiler to people who haven't seen the movie). Ep.IV, Hon loved Luke soo much that he saved Luke's life by shooting the other TIE fighter that was next to Darth Vader's TIE fighter just before Vader was about to shoot Luke while he was going to destroy the Death Star. Ep.V, Hon loved Leia soo much that he gave up smuggling to be with her. And Ep.VI, Darth Vader loved Luke sooooooo much that he killed the Emperor while he was shocking Luke. *out of breath* so you see, love is the moral to Star Wars. Thank you all! rolling on floor laughing doctor shifty bunny

Acherontia
I used To really be into Star trek, But In The End i decided To have Children one day.

pr1983
Originally posted by DarkJedi911
Well, if you haven't noticed lately, Star Wars was like way way WAY more in the future than StarTrek.I like Star Wars because it shows a moral to all the movies. The moral is....love one another no matter what!That moral is being showed in every Star Wars movie. Ep.I, Obi Won loved Qui-Gonn soo much that he didn't want him to die. Ep.II, when Dooku and Obi Won were fighting, and when Obi got hit by the lightsaber and was fixing to get cut in-half by Dooku, Anakin saved his life! Ep.III, Obi Won loved Anakin sooo much that he talked to him about how much he loved him and didn't want to lose him after he cut off Anakin's legs and arm(sorry if this is a spoiler to people who haven't seen the movie). Ep.IV, Hon loved Luke soo much that he saved Luke's life by shooting the other TIE fighter that was next to Darth Vader's TIE fighter just before Vader was about to shoot Luke while he was going to destroy the Death Star. Ep.V, Hon loved Leia soo much that he gave up smuggling to be with her. And Ep.VI, Darth Vader loved Luke sooooooo much that he killed the Emperor while he was shocking Luke. *out of breath* so you see, love is the moral to Star Wars. Thank you all! rolling on floor laughing doctor shifty bunny

No, its not... redemption is the main theme in star wars...

and star trek explores its characters way more deeply (though it does have more time to be fair)...

and no, star trek's technology is more advanced... star wars is "a long time ago in a galaxy far far away"

Originally posted by Acherontia
I used To really be into Star trek, But In The End i decided To have Children one day.

you can do both... stick out tongue

JediMasterLuke5
Star Trek = Stupiest show/movie ever
Star Wars = One of the best Movie series ever

JacopeX
Those friggin nerdy shows suck damn it!

pr1983
Originally posted by JediMasterLuke5
Star Trek = Stupiest show/movie ever
Star Wars = One of the best Movie series ever

whoa... im bowled over by your debating skills...

general-pain
I say both. And also for those regard Star Wars as major science fiction, I found this quote from Lucas in a magazine concerning wether or not SW is deep science fiction "Don't expect to see alot of science fiction in these movies, cause there isn't any."

vaya_the_elf
I'm sorry, but every time I watch star trek I fall asleep. It's like I've been hit over the head with something. Plot line seems kind of dull.

On the other hand star wars keeps my attention. Never fall asleep unless you count the new star wars movies. I did have a few moments of boredom their. Just the love parts mainly.

markie
Both are cool, wich do you think is cooler? and why, give your reasons for likeing it more then the other. Me i Like Star Trek better. because it is about people not about wars! cool I like star trek better, I liked voyager best.

Dresta
Star Trek is awful and has been going for too long has anyone seen that spoof called Galaxy Qest that was funny.

Dresta
Originally posted by qubit

For scientific credibility: ST (a little)

are you joking

markie
I think Star Trek has a betterr chance of coming true and some of the people were from earth. Star wars happened in a far away gallexy..

hayden_mullen
starwars!!! definitly...you knew that didn't you??

pr1983
Originally posted by Dresta
are you joking

No, star trek is way more scientifically credible than star wars...

ragesRemorse
i've said it before and i'll say it again. Thongs, lightsabers, blasters, driods, millineum falcon, princesses, cowboys, bad ass villians, wookies, and the force VS William shatner, practical space ships, and tasers. Hmmmm....

pr1983
i've said it before and i'll say it again. Thongs, lightsabers, blasters, driods, millineum falcon, princesses, cowboys, bad ass villians, wookies, and the force VS William shatner, practical space ships, and tasers. Hmmmm....

i said credible, not cooler...

Lord Ganon
They are both cool but I think Star Wars is cooler. Star Wars is for the geeks, Star Trek is for the nerds. Star Wars has a way better plot, story, dialogue(Episode II is a exception), and characters. Star Trek is more scientific and sci-fi. But the only good Star Trek episodes is from TOS and TNG. The other spin offs suck. Episode II sucks and Episode I sucks in a degree. They both have their faults but I think Star Wars is cooler.

ragesRemorse
i said credible, not cooler...

yeah, i know, but there both totally make believe with the same exact basic philosophy so instead of arguing common sense. I thought going off on my own rant was just as wastefull. Space exploration and aliens are both opinions at best. Placing star wars in a completely different galaxy far far away gives it more credibility because it isnt trying to say that it is a possibility of our future. For all we know, there is a darth vadar some where out there. Man will never live in peace. that would be going against our nature. Nature still controlls us, no matter how much we want to say it doesnt.

besides, the title of the thread, says which is COOLER.

pr1983
yeah, i know, but there both totally make believe with the same exact basic philosophy so instead of arguing common sense. I thought going off on my own rant was just as wastefull. Space exploration and aliens are both opinions at best. Placing star wars in a completely different galaxy far far away gives it more credibility because it isnt trying to say that it is a possibility of our future. For all we know, there is a darth vadar some where out there. Man will never live in peace. that would be going against our nature. Nature still controlls us, no matter how much we want to say it doesnt.

besides, the title of the thread, says which is COOLER.

Damn you and your incessant logic... blowup

ragesRemorse
that is the coolest smilie ever.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>