Punk Music

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

LindsIsTightK
Personally I don't like Punk Music at all. Good Charlotte, Simple Plan, Jimmy Eat World, American Hi-Fi, Sum41, etc.. etc.. I don't find anything about their music very appealing. It all sounds like crap to me, I prefer the heavy metal stuff.

This is just my opinion, what do you guys think of it?

BackFire349
Well, most people who are actual punk fans would tell you is that none of those bands you mentioned are punk. Which is true, but I don't like real punk bands anymore then i do those bands.

I don't like punk music, I dislike the whining, twangy tone in the voices of the singers, and i don't like the whole wannabe rebel gimmick most of them rely on.

So I agree with your opinion.

LindsIsTightK
Yeah I know that most people wouldn't agree that those are real punk bands, my best friend is a punker and she listens to all of the more inknown artists but I just felt like I needed to use an example.

Meh I hate all of that crap, I can't wait till this Good Charlotte fad is over

grymlock
well i have do disagree with you bf not all punk band have the concept of those whining, twangy tone or rebel wannabe (those are proclaim to be punk)... for example The Clash, The Ramones, Stiff Little Finger, Generation X, The Smith etc ... these is among band that different from what you mention earlier... their music are melody and still their lyric have the message that we should relate to life... punk is a way of life not a fashion or a gimmick... nowadays a lot of band are proclaim to be punk only for the sake of famous or money.. that what mainstream all about...

cheers mate!!

LindsIsTightK
I can understand why people love punk music so much for the simple reason it is meant to be more of a happy kind of music. But I honestly just cannot stand the sound of their voices or the beat to their music. Put those two together and sick

Tex
I disagree with Jimmy Eat World, but I couldn't agree more with the other bands you mentioned.
They suck!

You failed to mention the biggest punk phony out there, AVRIL!sick

LindsIsTightK
Ick -shudders- Avril is absolutely horrific sick

Like one journalist said "Avril is the first person I have seen whose clothes actually rock harder then she does" laughing

Corlindel
smile
I was a punk before you were punk big grin

Long live Sex Pistols, Sham69, Buzzcocks, Dead Kennedy's, Ramones, Siouxie...it seems that it will be a looong night remembering my youth..
..and alternative music of the eightys...The Chameleons, Joy Division, The Smiths, Echo & The Bunnymen, Felt, Cocteau Twins (Liza!!!! eek! ), Bauhaus, etecetera...

Corlindel
I really don't know anyone of that bands mencioned at the begginig of this thread but it seems to me more american young bands without the real punk spirit..but maybe I will hear someday and maybe I like it...

loserib
i like some real punk this happy pop punk they they try to pass of to us as punk is crap punk bands i like
ramones
sexpistols
gg allan

I like emopunk. Bands like thursday are really amazing. You should give them a try Linds, you might like em.

sk8stuff09
you know what? PUNK IS BETTER THAN GOTHIC HEAVY METAL BITCHES! HA HA! well, ok maybe good charlotte and simple plans are posers, they are more pop than punk. REAL punk is : The Sex Pistols, The Ramones, Black Flag etc. THE NEW GOOD PUNK: Green Day, The Ataris, Afi (kinda punk), Blink 182, you know what i mean. Punk rock and plain old rock isnt that much diffrent...just the beat

loserib
punk is a lot easier to play then real heavy metal if their are any other guitar players on here i know they would aggree with me

xblanex
Sk8stuff, Blink is pop punk, idiot. Ataris are really popular too.

loserib
Ataris are that band that coverd the don henly song huh man they are so not punk

julibug
yeah - my husband teaches guitar. he loves it when a student wants to learn a punk song, because the guitar parts are usually really easy to teach.

i love this band called scaterd few. if you guys ever find anything by them, give it a listen. some of their stuff would definately be called punk. especially on the cd called "grandmother's spaceship." they are one of my favorite bands, and not all of their stuff is punk, but some of it definately is.

bobbynine
At least you know a good band when you hear one Tex. Jimmy Eat World's cd Clarity is better than their latest, check it out. By the way, check out my friends site, secondstobreathe.com, ...if you like Jimmy, you will like them.

ataris only became popular recently, they've been around for ages. and hteir old stuff is good, new stuff not so good.

tptmanno1
I don't really like heavy metal, its too hardcore for me, some of the heavy metal bands i listen too don't really play musicly, i like bands that accually use chord progressions and 2, 5, 1's. but thats just my opinion
call me what you want but i kinda like Simple Plan
Blink is better tho, I listen to them alot

N.Tonks
I like AFI and Green Day....and I hate good charlotte and Simple Plan...and Avril sick

Evil Dead
A.F.I. had a punk edge to them.......a long time ago. Green Day used to be an awesome punk band when they were on Lookout.......check out their Kerplunk and Slappy Hours albums. Too bad they had to sell their sould to Corporate Rock to make Dookie.....and all their crappy pop rock albums they've made since. It was funny watching the behind the music of Green day.......listening to Tre Cool and Bill Joe Armstrong talk about all the punks they used to hang out with spitting on them now when they see them.

I despised the Ramones............but alot of people liked them so I guess they must have been good.

All that crap you listed is indeed pop rock music.......Blink 182, Sum 41, Good Charlotte, etc.

If you want to listen to punk music you need to check out The Sex Pistols (best ever), The Germs, The Cramps, The Stooges, Dead Kennedys, Buzzcocks, The Corporate Avenger, The Misfits, Exploited, Siouxie and the Banshees, etc.

Perhaps if you listened to punk music and got to know what it was.....you would not dislike it. Your opinion has been tainted by your lack of knowledge on the subject. All you named were pop rock bands......and I agree, they suck. Wearing a mohawk and having a tatoo does not make you a punk band. Hell......Justin Timberlake can dress up as Sid Vicious from now on, that isn't going to make N'SYNC a punk band.

And I have to agree that punk music is probably easier to play than heavy metal. Less chords are required as the music isn't as perfect. It is raw. Punk bands aren't sitting down trying to get a songs beat perfect so everybody will love it and they will become super mega-stars and live happily ever after in their mansions, swimming in pools of cash. They leave that stuff to Metallica.

finti
The most skilled Punk band was The Clash, but they moved away from the hardcore punk music to more a mix of new wave rock n roll/ska kind of style

mah
There's good punk and bad punk. Good Charlotte is one of the worst bands in existence, no matter what genre.

grymlock
good for you (like i care) smile...

as i said before punk is not a trend it's a way of life... it's what we belive in.. if you know/listen to the clash, 4 skin, the last resort, the mistfit, the damned, iggy pop and the stoogess, the crass, the conflict etc it still doesn't mean you are a punk!! for example green day when they were in lookout record now they sell their soul to mainstrem for the sake of money and glamour.. look at the sex pistols was paid a damn a lot of money for the re-united and make one last tour ... the major label try to make the clash re-united but they refuse it coz it's against what they believe... punk is not about leather jacket, mohawak hair, spike, band shirt, spitting, colour hair etc as i said it's not a fashion ... it's a way of life ... it's what you believe in...

cheers mate!!

shadow link
I hate avril 2

and i like goodchalotte songs like maybe the first time but after few listens i et so sick of them coz ther too pop. i mean the radio staions flog there songs to bits it makes me sick

loserib
the damned blow goats live

Corlindel
Yeap..I agree with you punk is an attitude not a style like we see in some american bands of the present times. And i never was a punk smile but i crossed about all styles of music since the beggining of the eighties. And "I was a punk before you were punk" it was a prhase from the punk/mainstream band The Tubes, not really punk too.

I am 33 years old and i have a brother of 40 who usually was listening the older punk bands. No mather if they were reaaly punk but of course they were absolutely different of the actual youngers pop/punk bands from USA, like the Atari's Blinks, etc.

My favorite was reaaly Joy Division, Bauhaus and The Chameleons - not punk but alternative urban sound.

A note: Four skins and last resort were white skinhead's bands.

grymlock
thank you for you note corlindel, yup! 4 skin and the last resort is a skinhead bands... as for me i do not proclaim i'm a punk or i'm not a punk but basically i do listen to all type of punk music from all over the world... i'm also with you i do listen to all type of music... anyway good to know someone who do listen to old school punk music.. cheers mate!!

all this avril,blink,sum etc who are punk wanna be are just another major label propaganda for the sake of profit... it's just another swindle!!

cheers mate!!

julibug
what about the dead milkmen? were they punk? i just remember a friend that listened to them when we were in high school, but i can't remember what they were like. and what about mxpx (esp. old mxpx), and "the blamed" - anyone ever heard of them?

Darth Hater
punk sucks

buncha punks!

the lots of ya!

must_kill_Santa
love good charlotte sum 41 are ok and the are some others i like my bands music we dont relly have a styal yet i spose we are rock though

loserib
whats your bands name i have a band to we are called
Nothing but Losers we should have mp3's up around the end of the month

tWzDjUgGaLeTtE
ok im gonna risk every1 in this thread hating me by saying that i actually like Good Charlotte and Simple Plan. Theyre not that bad. but im 1 of those people who like just about every music genre. everything from ICP to Christina Aguilera. I can tell u that Punk is awesome no matter who sings it. EXCEPT FOR AVRIL! i cant stand her! i dont think that any1 likes Avril and i hope no1 likes her.

blakangel
OMG....I think I just had a the worst fit of laughter in like ages whilst I choked on my guinness.

Good charlotte...simple plan ---> Punk????

I think that a lot of the attitude of punk has been lost: it used to have a lot more emphasis on the problems people were having (The Clash singing about the Brixton riots, for example), and on the need for social and political change. Punk bands used to be intelligent. Nowadays, or so it seems to me, they seem to promote stupidity as being cool, and just sing about all the usual things bands aimed at teenagers have always sung about (how no-one understands you, how great love is, how shit love is, how being a teenager is great, how being a teenager is shit, etc.)

loserib
you are into the wrong metal if its easy to play check out like
in flames or megadeth

BurnAllFlags
punk music is NOT good charlotte, blink 182 etc.....thats what you call whiny emo....."my girlfriend dumped me and i want to go jerk off now". thats so far from punk. punk music are bands like misfits, dead kennedys, sex pistols, bad religion, tsol, gbh, minor threat, exploited.......that stuff. not all these new little pussy whiny emo bands. so i'm gunna disagree with most of you who are saying that those pussy whiny emo bands are punk.

Thing_1
^^^I agree w/ u!I'm going to stick to real punk like the ramones,sex pistols,misfits,the plasmatics,etc. now those are good punk bands.

julibug
Doesn't anyone remember the Dead Milkmen? Just wondering if they were punk.

Evil Dead

grymlock
Corporate Avenger is a among fav band... Defiance is also as good as CA.. Defiance is among my fav band!!

cheers!!

loserib
i will have to check them out digging the lirycs to drug dealing god

loserib
i will have to check them out digging the god a drug dealler song

98R1
the other kids they all spit and cuss,
because I got a bitchen camaro and they have to ride the bus

heaven's_a_lie
punk is pop gone bad

mah
Much like you're an abortion gone wrong?

grymlock
that something new... laughing out loud

cheers!!

silver_tears
Personally I like Good Charlotte and Simple Plan yes
I like a lot of thier songs.

SAtown_punk
I also like Good Charlotte...First album Good Charlotte. That album is what got me into punk. I don't give a **** if you say they are not punk. I couldn't care less. I got into Rancid because of the patch Benji wears on his back. Tell me, Rancid IS punk, right? Yes...now, Tim Armstrong and Lars Frederikson are both good friends with Benji and Joel from Good Charlotte. Tim has said on numerous occasions that he wishes he could sing like the twins(Benji and Joel). If Tim has their back, I don't see why anybody would not call them punk. They may be popular, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Sex Pistols are immensly popular now, as are The Clash. That may be because it's trendy to like punk now, but that's regardless. So technically, punk in itself is now popular and mainstream.

Tell me...there are different branches of Rock & Roll, but they all lead back to the original title of Rock & Roll, right? There's alternative, punk, heavy metal, hair metal, etc... Pop-punk, emo-punk, hardcore-punk, and ska are just branches of punk that lead back to the original title of punk, and the original title of Rock & Roll. Good Charlotte is pop-punk, but that doesn't mean they suck. That is ultimately your opinion. Just because you don't like a band doesn't mean you have the right to criticize them or call them posers or whatever. If Good Charlotte is playing the music they want to play, then what is wrong with that? I hate country music and I hate most rap, but I can still respect the people as performers.

SAtown_punk
Originally posted by heaven's_a_lie
punk is pop gone bad

No, actually....punk is pop gone right

Darth Jello
please don't define punk, defining it is what makes schisms and turns punk to crap. there's nothing worse about punk nowadays than the fact that everyone sounds the same.

SAtown_punk
eveybody doesn't sound the same. There are different branches of punk, each with their own original sound, but it all ultimately goes back to punk.

PrefectRonnykin
to people who hate punk-
well you dont like punk i'm... fine with that i'll just rip off you head and thow it in a lake you punk hater i crap on you if sid wasn't dead he'd kill you, you know.
have a nice day now.
-Prefectronnykin

PrefectRonnykin
"Punk is pop gone right"

SAtown_punk i love you smile

PrefectRonnykin
Rancid is punk damn good punk
and benji is hot damn hot

Darth Jello
there shouldn't be "branches", try listening to TSOL's beneath the shadows or Joykiller's Three, or even Nirvana's Bleach. those are still punk albums.

SAtown_punk
I love TSOL. But why should there be no branches? Ska is an amazing genre of music, and it's probably my favorite. But I also like poppy-punk, such as Millencolin, old Good Charlotte, New Found Glory, NOT SIMPLE PLAN!, but stuff like that. But I also like hardcore punk like Minor Threat. Even emo/screamo like Taking Back Sunday, Thursday, Finch, and Matchbook Romance. Having different branches off of one general genre is a great thing, because it gives people like us the chance to experience different things.

Evil Dead
I think a lot of people don't like punk because they've never heard it.......

I get the feeling that alot of people think that : Blink 182, Green Day, The Offspring, Good Charlotte, Sum 41, Avri Levigne, etc. are punk bands.........they are not people. Those are pop bands. If anybody here dislikes punk because you think those pop bands represent punk, you are mistaken. Please seek out a few punk bands, listen to them......then feel free to criticize the genre.

PrefectRonnykin
avril sux my cats hairy balls
GC is as close to punk as you can get in the modern day and age

Cinemaddiction
You mean in the mainstream?

Half you cats honestly don't know what real punk is, or the fact that it's been dead for a few years now, atleast to most people. Let me drop some names for you, if you're looking to get into the genre.

Dead Kennedys
Black Flag
The Cramps
The Damned
The Ramones
New York Dolls
The Smiths
Pennywise
Bad Relgion
Operation Ivy
Propaghandi
Iggy Pop + The Stooges
Sex Pistols
Minor Threat
Rancid
Agnostic Front
The Vandals
Dropkick Murphys
The Misfits
NOFX

I mean, I could go on and on. While I do think that punk is dead, there are plenty of what I guess you'd call "punk" bands that are underground, and thrive locally.

It's all fast music, with political themes, so it's hard to distinguish, but if you like that sort of thing..go for it.

Darth Jello
A lot of people don't like punk specifically BECAUSE OF PUNK FANS AND THEIR ELITIST PUNKER THAN THOUGH BS! THERE'S NOTHING I HATE MORE THAN SOMEONE WHO EXPECTS YOU TO BE JUST LIKE THEM OR THEY'LL HATE YOU!!!
AND BY BRANCHES I MEANT THAT IT'S WRONG TO QUANTIFY MUSIC. ONLY THE ARTISTS WHO PLAY IT.

PrefectRonnykin
GC Rocks they are punk esxuze me you Brittany loving freaks

Evil Dead
"don't know what real punk is, or the fact that it's been dead for a few years now"

Cinemaddiction..........listen to Corporate Avenger (who is still going strong) and tell me that punk is dead.

Darth Jello..........um...a music genre is a music genre, period. Justin Timberlake can call himself a gangsta rapper.......it doesn't mean that he is a gangsta rapper just because he calls himself that. Weezer can proclaim themselves to be a death metal rock band.......but they are not. Sum 41 and Blink 182 can get all tatted up....spike their hair and scream at the top of their lungs that they are a punk band.......they quite simply are not. The genre is a MUSIC genre......it has nothing to do with looks, style of dress or hair styles. Nobody has said anything pertaining to your rant "THERE'S NOTHING I HATE MORE THAN SOMEONE WHO EXPECTS YOU TO BE JUST LIKE THEM OR THEY'LL HATE YOU!!!"..............people are quite simply stating that certain bands do not fall in certain genres of music. Quite simple... Blink 182, Good Charlotte, Sum 41 and the rest of the pop/rock bands are not punk bands................if someone were to post a thread about best Blues musicians of all time and people started talking about Madonna and Cher I believe there would be quite a few people to point out that Madonna and Cher are not Blues musicians.

Darth Jello
I just absolutely hate all the BS that comes from the "punker than thou" crowd

Evil Dead
I'm not one of those "punker than thou" people.........I'm not even punk. I merely like punk music. There are so many different sounds to punk that I'm not going to put down somebody who likes the Clash because they don't sound like the Dead Kennedys............whatever punk you like is fine by me. Different strokes for different folks.

I just get tired of people seeing a lead singer with a spike/mohawk haircut and thinking the band is a punk band. So the lead singer has a bunch of tatoos......so does Fred Durst....he doesn't play punk. The singer has a mohawk......so did P.Diddy......he isn't punk.

The problem with kids today thinking bands are punk is this. Kids today are so overwelmed by the mainstream media (radio/MTV) that they don't really get into the underground.........which is where punk lives. Since they don't listen to the underground, Good Charlotte may be the closest thing to a punk band out of all the rest of the pop/rock bands they listen to so they start calling them punk because the word punk is trendy now. This however does not change the fact that Good Charlotte are not punk. The kid who was calling them punk just hasn't listened to any underground music to seek out real punk bands.......

note to all the kiddies out there who watch MTV: You will never see a punk band on MTV.

Krabs55
This is not PUCK !!! mad

SAtown_punk
Rancid is on MTV, and have been since around 1992 or so, and Anti-Flag are making a video.

Darth Jello
the ramones and TSOL (both versions) have had videos on MTV rotation. does that make them less punk? the ramones, the sex pistols, X, The slits, X-ray specs, and L7 have all been signed to major lables, does that make the less punk?

Krabs55
God nothing is punk anymore......b/c we are all posers

SAtown_punk
What do you mean both versions of TSOL?

Signing to a major label and having a video on MTV does not constitute selling out.

Evil Dead
"the ramones and TSOL (both versions) have had videos on MTV rotation. does that make them less punk? the ramones, the sex pistols, X, The slits, X-ray specs, and L7 have all been signed to major lables, does that make the less punk?"

gee........I must have missed them in MTV's rotation here in the past 5-6 years. If they are playing punk videos on MTV now, you tell me when they are on. The only thing I ever see on MTV are pop (Justin Timberlake, Brittany, Christina, etc.), pop/rock (Good Charlotte, Blink 182, etc.), rap (Ludacris, Mystikal, etc.), rock (white stripes, nickelback, godsmack, etc.)....................

I havn't seen a punk band on MTV in nearly 10 years. I hear they are still playing Rancid videos on MTV but I havn't seen one.

So......I said you won't be seeing any punk bands on MTV.......now you tell me which punk bands MTV plays (or has played in the last few years) and when they play them so I can see it for myself. I've never seen a punk video sandwiched in between a White Stripes video and a Brittany Spears video.

Krabs55
Yea neither have I

Krabs55
I bet its on MTV two

SAtown_punk
MTV 2 does play them, yes...but Rancid has videos for "Red Hot Moon" and "Fall Back Down" that are in rotation on MTV. I've seen them, but I haven't watched MTV in a while, so maybe they aren't showing them anymore. There are lots of emo-punk bands on MTV, but I suppose that isn't who you were referring to.

PrefectRonnykin
punk is something from the 80's but some people are trying to bring it back wich is great i mean you can only her a few cds so many times before wanting too rezzerect sid any have him make more stuff so its cool that some people think we need more so i support them we all my cold stone heart wink

SAtown_punk
Punk is from the mid-70's. It just gained widespread popularity in SoCal in the 80's. But that was the greatest decade for punk music anyway.

amlap
i briefly read over some of this MTV talk and i dont know who stands on what side, but i dont really hate MTV. they tried promoting punk, ska, and other underground scenes a couple times now but they all failed. MtVi s jsut trying to make its money! i couldnt really care what they did or who is played on it because frankly i dont watch the shit so i dont know whats going on have the time.

and a band doesnt jsut suck just because they are on MTV.

stinkfist462
i dont watch MTV too much . they play none to very little rock music .. and the rock music is something you can hear when you flick on your radio... plus all them retarded shows like . Real World .. what does that have to do with music ? so i jus stay clear of MTV ( other than the Osbournes big grin )

PrefectRonnykin
i dont ahve cable and i dont watch tv xcept for the simpsons so ive never watched MTV

stinkfist462
thats a good thing .. mtv WILL ruin your life big grin

SAtown_punk
I beg to differ. MTV has turned me on to various bands that belong to various genres. I see nothing wrong with making a video and having MTV show it. I do hate all the shows, though. I prefer MTV2 to MTV, and I prefer FUSE(formerly MuchMusic) to all of them.

Krabs55
fuse is great... i wish my parents would buy it..... it changes your views.

amlap
yes

Extol
since when are any of those bands punk?

Krabs55
But fuse plays more rock and emo music not just RAP which is CRAP ...

Darth Jello
the two versions of TSOL thing- in 1983, jack grisham and todd barnes quit and were replaced by Joe Wood and Mitch Dean, the sound changed but they still made 2 good records. in 87 they released a very crappy album called hit n run that was essentially hair metal. ron quite and was replaced, after another crappy album, mike quite. TSOL found replacements, got worse, and toured with G n R and the chilli peppers. they had no original members. the original 4 reformed and went on tour in 1991 but broke up after a lawsuit by "TSOL mark II" saying they owned the name and all the songs (including stuff that Jack wrote). both TSOL's broke up and were defunct till the original reformed in 1999.

though they totally sucked balls toward the end, the first two albums by the unoriginal TSOL, Change Today, and Revenge, were brilliant and actually broke a barrier. MTV used to play nothing but pop untill "nothin for you" (also on the return of the living dead soundtrack) became the first "Rock" video to be played on MTV, it was shortly followed by the video for I wanna be sedated.

Darth Jello
Just to emphasis how big of an ******* he was, apart from screwing jack out of royalties and things, Joe Wood was his brother in law

SAtown_punk
oh, ok...i see. But TSOL is back together now? Are they touring and maing records and stuff?

Jeff_Atello
I just found this, so I thought I'd bring it back up. I love punk because it is so political and hard-hitting.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.