Martial Arts.....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Rogue Jedi
if you could master one style of martial arts, what would it be? why?

BackFire349
Sumo

Rogue Jedi
aikido.....i am a big steven segal fan, and aikido is a bad ass art.

badkittykitty
thumb wrestling

Rogue Jedi
i have my own style....it basically consists of kicking you in the nuts and running away.....its called "FOKK YOU!!!!!!!"

Nivvy
Uhm...

Whatever those dudes at the Shaolin Temples study.....

badkittykitty
yeah crouching tigar stuff would be awesome!!

Rogue Jedi
shaolin kung fu.....

finti
does "hey I got a huge AG-3 (weapon used by the Norwegian military) and I will shot you if you as much as twiggle your toe" count as a martial art?. I can shot kind of stylish

Rogue Jedi
teras kasi.

ragesRemorse
Wushu, or jeet kune do

finti
or I am the waleruss goo goo god job

Rogue Jedi
norwegian or american style?

Tied Hiker
I prefer street fighting.

LindsIsTightK
Tae Chi. And Yoga but I don't think that is considered a martial art confused

ragesRemorse
yoga was inspired by martial arts. Tai chi is cool, no offensive movies. they make there oppenet beat themselves up. thats just cool

LindsIsTightK
laughing out loud

Tied Hiker
I like beating the crap out of my room mate WWF style all over the house.

pablo007
I practice boxing and did a little Tae Kwon Do

pablo007
And TH sorry to break it to ya but WWF is fake

ragesRemorse
its only fake until you make it real

pablo007
I meant the one on TV

Tied Hiker
WWF is fake? What are you talking about. *starts crying* Don't tell me the tooth fairy ain't real too.

ragesRemorse
WWF is real, it's just like religoun. there are non believers but we have proof right in front of us

Rogue Jedi
ALL wrestling is fake.

ragesRemorse
well the studio stuff. Lagitament olympic wrestling can be pretty wicked. you ever seen that asian style wrestling?

Rogue Jedi
i am talking about tv wrestling....its all staged.

Tied Hiker
It's great entertainment though. Everyone knows it's fake it all about the coreography and the characters and stuff. But still, I elbow drop my room mate when we smash things over eachother, like chairs.

BackFire349
Fake is not the right word to describe wrestling, staged is more apropriate.

They do not fake getting their faces smashed with a chair, they do not fake bleeding, they don't fake jumping off of a 15 foot ladder onto a table, they don't fake flipping off the top rope and landing on their stomach. The only thing they fake are the punches and kicks, everything else is full contact.

They are some of the best pure athletes in the world to do what they do.

Rogue Jedi
the best pure athletes in the world are soccer players and triathletes.

BackFire349
That is bull, they may have the best endurance, but you have to remember that wrestling requires the most well rounded skills out of all sports. They must have great endurance (they wrestle almost every night), they must be extremely strong and powerful (lifting full grown men over their heads constantly, even men that way more then they do). Not to mention tough (they have to get punched and beaten and thrown around night after night,a nd still, they endure and keep doing it) Plus they have to have some acting ability, they have to remember lines, and remember what storylines they are participating in.

All in all, wrestler don't get the respect they deserve.

Rogue Jedi
they are all on steroids.....its not like they have scripts to memorize...after all, it is wrestling, not schindlers list......they are athletes, but anyone can get thrown around....my manager is a trained martial artist, but he has let himself go lately.....he can still do backflips and somersaults at will.

BackFire349
They are not on steroids, they are tested regularly for them, and the ones that are found positive are thrown out of the business.

Plus im not just talking summer saults, they have to really take a beating constantly, I dunno if you've ever watched wrestling, but they really get beaten up these days. They get thrown through tables, dropped on their spines, and they do it day in and day out, nearly every single day of the year.

Rogue Jedi
being tough and strong have nothing to do with being a good athlete. i am both and am not an athlete. there is so much money in the biz that i am sure they have ways of doing roids and getting around the tests.

ragesRemorse
the best athletes in the world are gymnists. And asian martial artists, i mean the asian schools of certain arts. These people go to these schools and stay there whole lives practicing martial arts, almost like budist monks but without the religoun. Wushu masters are GOD damn incredible. They not only master there art but also coreography. i never knew it was possible for a human being to pounce 6 feet in the air from a standing posistion untill i watched a wushu demonstration

Rogue Jedi
truedat...jet li practices wushu...i dont know if he is a master or not, but he is a bad ass.

BackFire349
As i said, wrestlers also have great endurance, it is extremely tiring to run around in the ring every day picking people up.

ragesRemorse
jet li studied wushu for his entertainment career. he still studied for 3 years though.

I dont think anyone doubts wrestlers as being top athletes. I wouldnt go as far to say there some of the best in the world though, just masters of there profession.

Rogue Jedi
it takes endurance to run up and down a full size soccer field non stop......it takes strength to do what wrestlers do....i am sure some of them are great athletes, but they are FAR from being world class.

BackFire349
Yes, but unlike soccer players, they are stron as well, they don't break their legs when they step in a little ditch or kick a ball the wrong way.

Rogue Jedi
but who has more endurance?

BackFire349
Soccer players probably, but what I'm saying is that wrestlers have the most well rounded athletic skills out of all athletes.

Rogue Jedi
what about triathletes? and basketball players?

Tied Hiker
All I know is that Dercor and I put a huge ass hole in the wall the night they hooked up the dish net. We were partying and we started wrestling and I pushed him into the wall and his ass dented the wall.

ChinaNiki
i think Jackie chan's stunt team are probably the greatest athletes in the world....and gymnasts too

ragesRemorse
Wushu masters are the greatest athletes, without a doubt.They push the mind and body to the limit and beyond. that is what it takes to perform this art. they can do what gymnists do, but without the gym and equiptment. They may not have muscle but they have force,energy and strength combined. Endurance out the ass, if you want to talk about needing endurance watch an asian wushu demonstration

The Force
i want to learn Jackichancopyoffoftv style of martial arts yes

ElStuddo
You love that 'JuDitSue' big grin

bogen
On top of what i already study i'd probably go for Baguazhang or prehaps Jujitsu.

Rogue Jedi
Jeez I forgot I made this.

Mairuzu
apparently not

Rogue Jedi
Well not anymore durh.

BruceSkywalker
Since I was 4, I've mastered 5 different martial arts...

Cadence Donovan
Jeet Kun Do. I've been practicing with a friend for months, now, and I'd love to be able to kick his ass all over J-County.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Cadence Donovan
Jeet Kun Do. I've been practicing with a friend for months, now, and I'd love to be able to kick his ass all over J-County.

Are you getting good Jacc?

Cadence Donovan
Well, since it's not an actual dojo, there aren't actually any ranks to judge myself on, but I'm getting to the point I can actually manage to land more hits than I used to. Which, to me, is an accomplishment. Mainly due to the fact that in high school, I was one of the kids they'd try to stuff in lockers, only they were too small. XD I kid, I kid. But seriously, though... I really couldn't fight worth a damn before this.

BruceSkywalker
Well, since it's not an actual dojo, there aren't actually any ranks to judge myself on, but I'm getting to the point I can actually manage to land more hits than I used to. Which, to me, is an accomplishment. Mainly due to the fact that in high school, I was one of the kids they'd try to stuff in lockers, only they were too small. XD I kid, I kid. But seriously, though... I really couldn't fight worth a damn before this.

keep it up and you'll get real good

Cadence Donovan
I can only hope so. Occasionally, he'll throw me off and start a match, then he'll switch to something far-out like Muay Thai or Capoeira or something... Which, needless to say, throws off my groove. And despite the fact I know I need to have a knowledge of being able to defend against multiple styles... I think he takes the whole attack pattern changing a bit far.

bogen
I can only hope so. Occasionally, he'll throw me off and start a match, then he'll switch to something far-out like Muay Thai or Capoeira or something... Which, needless to say, throws off my groove. And despite the fact I know I need to have a knowledge of being able to defend against multiple styles... I think he takes the whole attack pattern changing a bit far.

Sounds like your friend has an ego problem and likes the idea of changing it up too often for you to come to grips with what he's doing exactly.
Power triper.
Best advise i can give you is keep your gaurd up, don't stand still on the flats of your feet and attempt to control your space.

As far as im concerned im ready to start jujitsu so i can brach into MMA.
I already Study traditional GoJu Ryu and have proven myself good at that.
Pretty excited about the prospect of learning something entirely new.
And because it's also an Okinawa art it will tie in well with what iv'e already learned.
Also, speed up my learning curb.

I'll keep you guys updated as to where it goes.

Baylin
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
if you could master one style of martial arts, what would it be? why?

Well I'm already a 1st dan in aiki ju jitsu but I'd hardly call myself a master!

I also do a bit of shotokan karate when I get the chance

Rogue Jedi
I can fight like a girl pretty darn good.

dadudemon
I like wushu, jeet kun do, jiu jitsu, kendo, kung fu and shaolin kung fu, Spetsnaz GRU, and Capoeira.

I must say that I enjoy Capoeira and just about any form of stick fighting, the most.

Capoeira is so very enjoyable. I love to dance, and I love to fight. Even practicing Capoeira is an excellent way to get a cardio workout: much better than 45 minutes on a treadmill.

Rogue Jedi
There seem to be quite a bit of accomplished martial artists here......just saying.........stop looking at me like that.

Hitosu Moriko
Im a 4th kyu in Taijutsu and im still learning kenjutsu

dadudemon
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
There seem to be quite a bit of accomplished martial artists here......just saying.........stop looking at me like that.

Well, I am most cetainly not well versed in ANY of those styles. I know a little of each. I probably am better versed in capoeira than the others, but still a relative newb.

Rogue Jedi
...........Not what I meant, but OK.

Bardock42
Gun Kata no expression

Rogue Jedi
Shuba Duba Huba.

Bardock42
Jesus Christ, proof that even 4 years ago, you were unable to debate a topic intelligently.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Bardock42
Jesus Christ, proof that even 4 years ago, you were unable to debate a topic intelligently.

I agree that he could have done much better at making his point. wrestlers are far removed from being at the upper echelon of world class athletes except for power lifting.

It is quite common in the athletic community to call the gold medal winner of the Olympic Decathlon the world's greatest athlete because they are literally the world's best all around athlete.

This is not to say that Pro. wrestlers, in general, are not excellent athletes. Some of them are in excellent cardiovascular shape. (but they are usually the thinner ones.) The fact is, pretty much all of them cycle steroids. The testing they did was generally laughable. I hear that they have bumped up testing standards because of the suicide murder that occurred with one of the wrestlers.

Pro Wrestlers are great athletes, but they are not all around athletes and are far from the world's best all around athletes. There is already a very specific measurement for world's best athlete and that is the decathlon.

Dantalion
I used to do karate for 6 years got too my brown belt. That was pretty good. At the moment i'm doing Muay Thai and i go to some Mixed Martial Arts as well which covers things like Brazilian Ju-Jitsu, Akido and Judo and things. Its pretty cool [:

Rogue Jedi
Jesus Christ, proof that even 4 years ago, you were unable to debate a topic intelligently. OTF, biggie. Shoo on back to the GDF for "debating."

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by dadudemon
I like wushu, jeet kun do, jiu jitsu, kendo, kung fu and shaolin kung fu, Spetsnaz GRU, and Capoeira.

I must say that I enjoy Capoeira and just about any form of stick fighting, the most.

Capoeira is so very enjoyable. I love to dance, and I love to fight. Even practicing Capoeira is an excellent way to get a cardio workout: much better than 45 minutes on a treadmill.

exceptional martial arts

Originally posted by dadudemon
Well, I am most cetainly not well versed in ANY of those styles. I know a little of each. I probably am better versed in capoeira than the others, but still a relative newb.

I've been learning the martial arts since I was four

steverules_2
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
exceptional martial arts

I've been learning the martial arts since I was four

And now you can do this:

tO87wotwoLE

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by steverules_2
And now you can do this:

tO87wotwoLE

clapclap

laughing laughing

steverules_2
It never gets old haermm

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by steverules_2
It never gets old haermm

are their any others like that?

steverules_2
I sent you one in a PM smile

Robtard
Originally posted by BackFire
Sumo

It's the thought of half a ton of sweaty man-flesh slapping and grinding together that does it for you, eh?

Zalindrana
Bando Thaing

JacopeX
Muay Thai.

I'm still a moderate.

Impediment
I'm a master of "Pick up anything I see within reach and beat you across your f*cking head with it!" style.

I would love to learn Capoeira, though.

Bardock42
If I could master one style I'd probably choose Krav Maga.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by JacopeX
Muay Thai.

I'm still a moderate.

muay thai is great to learn

Robtard
Originally posted by Impediment
I'm a master of "Pick up anything I see within reach and beat you across your f*cking head with it!" style.

I would love to learn Capoeira, though.

That is generally the best fighting style in a street fight. While the would be Karate-guy (or other) starts to think about pulling some move on you, you've already bashed him over the head with a metal trash can lid or grabbed and/or yanked on his scrotum.

Robtard
If I could master one style I'd probably choose Krav Maga.

S.C.A.R.S. is suppose to be similar, a style that maximizes damage; delivered in the quickest possible route.

I'd still go with Krav Maga, as the Jews have been doing and honing it for far longer.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Robtard
S.C.A.R.S. is suppose to be similar, a style that maximizes damage; delivered in the quickest possible route.

I'd still go with Krav Maga, as the Jews have been doing and honing it for far longer.

I don't know much about either of those two. I'll have to research them.

Is it superior (for its military application and real world application) to Spetsnaz GRU hand to hand? I do hear that the Israeli military is quite advanced in it's training, but I know nothing of the technique.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.