USH'S MATRIX GAME- Zion play thread.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ushgarak
PLEASE READ THIS POST BEFORE POSTING IN HERE!

Zion- mankind's last city. A vast underground dwelling of 250,000 people; small in comparison to the great cities of old, but each one a great affront to the Machines that would see all of humanity enslaved. By concentrating all their resources in one city, mankind has built an unassailable stronghold from which to launch their attacks on the System. Zion, alone, is free/

-----

This thread is a cross between a discussion area for players and a general interaction zone. Not only can players do any form of social interaction or role-play here to their heart's content, it will also contain several storyline interventions by myself to aid the general interactive Matrix experience that I wish to build here. There are three main ways this will happen:

1. There will be occasional 'tutorials' here on how to survive in the Matrix
2. Plot events, discussions and relevations may take place here
3. When there is an assignment coming, the briefing for it will most likely take place in this thread.

When an Assignment comes along, I will provide a brief description of the Assignment and its danger. Anyone interested on going oin that Assignment needs only so sign up for it and when it starts they will be on the mission. Obviously, players on assignment will not be in Zion and hence cannot use this thread!

The upcoming 'Dojo' thread is also contained within Zion. Anyone using this thread can go to the Dojo programme whenever they wish- once I start it (soon).

Note- Anyone who has made a character in the character creation thread here:

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f41/t13562.html

... may post in this thread. If you have not, PLEASE make a character first before posting in here- you will nto be allowed to otherwise.

-----

If you have seen the second film you know what Zion looks like; basically an enormous hollow cylinder underground, with the landing area at the top, countless streches of rooms and offices built into the walls all the way down, connected by service elevators, the temple and worship areas at the 'base', and the engineering levels underneath that. If people want to be messing around in non-Dojo simulations, on their own or together, the computer game makes it clear that everyone neural-active simulation equipment in their rooms so you may do that.

On the whole, this is also the best place to get to know each other- once on assignment, you are going to be a bit busy to ba making introductions!

I will kick off in a moment with an introductory plot post.

Ushgarak
"Nebuchadnezzar, you are cleared to land."

Gliding in through the marvel that is the upper landing bays of Zion, humanity's most famous ship comes into land. Waiting and its landing bay is some two dozen people bearing gifts and offerings for its crew. There is talk of having such people cleared out of the landing area in future, for safety reasons- others complain that this will only lead to them crowding around the lifts instead. Each time it is more people.

Morpheus, Neo and Trinity descend from their ship to the docking platform. A still bewildered Neo accepts, cautiously, the offerings made to him, and promises to help where possible. Morpheus too has his followers and admirers.

But the Neb had to wait before it landed, because by coincidence another ship was returning to Zion at the same time- the Shahazarad, under Captain Dallas.

No-one was waiting for Dallas. No-one makes him offerings.

On the next platform along he watches the scene unfolding from the Neb with undisguised irritation. From behind approaches the Operator of his ship, a woman known as Ariadne.

"Look at him," speaks Dallas, with a Texan drawl. "Just LOOK at him! Morpheus carries a traitor, loses half his crew on one mission, and everyone treats him like a hero. Anyone else would be court-martialled for failure, but no, NOT Morpheus, he's a law unto himself..."

"If he's found the One then maybe it was worth it," says Ariadne.

"Ah, Jesus, you believe that crap?"

"I don't know Dallas... they say he can do some impressive things."

"Don't you start. Morpheus is a loon, Ariadne, everyone knows that. Anyway, no matter how good this Neo guy is, he and Morpheus aren't the ONLY heroes in Zion and people would do well to remember that!"

"People remember that," assures Ariadne.

"When they bring ME offerings, I'll believe you. Get the Shez re-charged and ready to go, I want out of here if HE is around..."

"I don't think so, Dallas," says Ariadne.

"Huh?"

"The starboard side hover-engines are getting worse. We have gone far too long without servicing them. We were picking up a lot of vibration at the end there. How stupid would we feel if they came loose with squiddies in the vicinity."

"They'll hold," says Dallas.

"Can you guarantee that? And you are going to want to be out for, what, months again? We should take the opportunity we have now."

"How long?"

"I'll need to dismantle the entire engine array. Days. Maybe a week or two." Dallas turned to face Aridane, tearing his gaze away from Morpheus.

"You have GOT to be shittin' me!"

"Better to get it done now and properly," says Ariadne. Dallas looks uncertain. "He won't stay," says Ariadne. "Morpheus is like you, he'll want out again as soon as possible." Dallas thinks the situation over for a minute.

"Do it," he says. He then turns to address the regular crew of the Shez, whom I believe we defined in the creation thread.

"Shore leave," he says to you all, simply. "Make the most of it whilst you can."

Dallas heads to the lifts.

Ushgarak
Note- with the docking of these two ships, four ships and their crews are currently in Zion- Nebuchadnezzar, Shahazarad, Osiris and Caduceus

Fire
I yell:"Thank you Captain."
"Ariadne you think you can manage the engines? If you want some help just ask.(dunno how much a vet knows from these things but I assume I know something) Dallas should learn to work on his attitude against Morpheus. Wether or not Neo is the one I do not know. What I do know however is that Morpheus and his crew are in this for the greater good of mankind as we all are. We shouldn't be divided, anyway you think you can talk to him?"

(if ariadne needs some help I'll help her if not: "people anyone up for a drink at my place?"wink

Ushgarak
"Oh, he'll calm down," says Ariadne. "He's always had a bee in his bonnet about Morpheus. Anyway, I don't know about Neo or not, I'm not an expert in that kind of thing. And please, if you want to stay and help, feel free, I'll be all day getting these engines off..."

(Hackers and Veterans both know at least a bit of engineering.)

SpikeSpiegel
Cloud stood at the door to his home/apartment, "Damn door, why does it always stick!" He was fiddling with the lock which didn't seem to be moving. He kicked the door, "Piece of crap!" He turned around so his back was against the door and banged his head backwards against it, sighing.

Fire
"Yea sure no Problem Ariadne"

Ushgarak
Always a problem when you are in Zion, Cloud, is that not only do you have to pay for stuff you break, you also can't seem to punch through solid objects in the real world... in an odd sort of way, you (and other Naturals) tend to think of the Matrix as far more real than this place- after all, in there you can far more be what you want to be. It is here you are restricted.

The door remains resolutely unimpressed by your deep mental reserves.

Ushgarak
People who stay and help Ariadne will be busy getting to work with spanners and other, more hi-tech, gizmos. Feel free to ask her any questions you like- she has been Dallas' operator, as far as you can tell, since the beginning of time...

Fire
"Any idea why Dallas has a grudge against Morpheus or is it just jealousy?"

Ushgarak
"Dallas thinks Morpheus is a Zealot, not a Soldier," says Ariadne, de-coupling a power coil. "And he's right in many ways. Still, Morpheus frees a lot of minds and he has friends on the Council. The Council is smart if you ask me. They like to have Captains who thinks BOTH ways rather than forcing one view or the other- so long as they do their jobs. Of course, Commander Locke doesn't like Morpheus either- and we all know why THAT is!- but the people do, and the Council does... it's all rather well balanced.

"And yeah, Dallas is pissed right now because Morpheus is getting all the attention, and he's jealous."

Fire
"Not every soldier who has blind faith in something is a Zealot. and even if he is as you said he frees a lot of minds. Dallas should stop acting like a child. I mean he's a great commander and I'd follow him anywhere in the matrix. God knows I learned tons from him. But sometimes he needs to accept the fact that we are in this for the species not for personal glory."

Ushgarak
"Dallas sees achievement as his duty, not a matter of personal glory," says Ariadne. "He likes to be seen to be doing it as much as anyone else- but Morpheus revels in it. He likes the role of Prophet. If you want to criticise someone for that, criticise Morpheus. THERE I agree with Dallas. And Dallas frees lots of minds as well. I wouldn't make waves if I were you; Dallas is as picky as Morpheus about his crew. Best keep an open mind and let Dallas go on as much as he wants; it is his ship, we do things his way."

Fire
"You know me I'll keep my mouth shut and I'd gladly give my life for that of Dallas"

Ushgarak
"Yeah, I know," says Ariadne. "I know I am just an Operator, but the way I see it, it's best to listen to both sides and not have to come down one way or another until you really HAVE to. And I don't see that happening yet."

JediHDM
*walking up* "Sorry i took so long getting back, the lifts are full of Neo-followers. Its like all of a sudden everyone believes in the prophecy business, and follows him likes he's gonna recreate the world or something. Oh, well...Hey, Ariadne, do you need help with that servomotor? It looks jambed." *moves further into engine room"

Fire
"hello Coeus nice of you to come and help us."

Ushgarak
"It's the starboard side we're worried about," says Ariadne. "Hard to escape sentinels when you can only turn in one direction."

Fire
"True"

SpikeSpiegel
Cloud walked through zions corriddors to the lifts beaten by the door. He had never seen the lifts so busy "It wouldn't hurt to go and look at this 'one'" Cloud said to himself

Dexx
Rade steps out of the ship and heads to help the otehr 2 with the fixing for now.

(does he know anybody in zion?..friends..anyone)

JediHDM
Note: Yes, do we know anybody? do we have families, friends, or are we desirous of spending as much time freeing minds as possible?

Bespin Bart
(Mors, my character, has a family. A wife named Scarlet, and a kid named Eros.)

Mors stomps out of the ship, tired and weary from the long ride back to Zion. Usually when he walks inside the Matrix, he has one hand on his sword hilt, no matter what type of blade it is. The habit had become so bad that he would start trying to grip it and look down to do it, only then remembering that it wasn't there.

"Having trouble with you door again, Cloud?" Mors asks with a chuckle, walking by, and then turning to walk with him. The boy was good, but still had much to learn. "So, where are you headed then?"

Ushgarak
Errr, you can have any background you like in Zion, really. So long as it isn't going to have a drastic effect on gameplay!

Bespin Bart
No, really? stick out tongue

JediHDM
*twisting ratchet* almost got it... *gives one final twist to feel the motor shift into his arm* There, got it...oh, wow, this really IS messed up...Its a good thing we went for this now...*sets motor down, then takes inventory of parts* Alright, well, if anyone needs me, i'll be at the Zion maintenance bay, seeing if i can get replacements for these parts *motions to dismantled engine on floor*...Hey, Dexx, you wanna see if you can find a Type 9 electro-rachet? I'll need one if i'm to fix the gyroscopic servos on this side of the ship, as well as the capicitors in charge of movement to the starboard side. If anyone needs me, you know where to find me... *walks out of engine room*

Bespin Bart
I guess me and Cloud are going to see Neo...ya know?

genral zink
(it's not Dexx, it's Rade wink )

Hephaestus stretches his arms as he walks off of the ship. "I'm so damn tired..."

JediHDM
(note: i knew that...no i didnt. i cant remember everyones name, it would be easier if it were your name or title or something...)

genral zink
( laughing out loud I've gotta come up with a nick for me...nobody wants to write Hephaestus every time they address me...)

Dexx
(well...you can call me grand amster, if you like titles...or..supreme praetor stick out tongue)
Alright then...
"i'll drop by later to help" says Rade heading to talk to some of his friends, to find out what's been happening while he was missing...
(where do i head..a bar or something?)

genral zink
(Do they have bars in Zion? confused )

"So, what's up, Rade?" Hephaestus asks, walking up to the more experienced warrior.

Ushgarak
I would imagine people call you Heff, Zink! Page three of the character creation thread has a handy list of players and their names.

I would imagine there are bars, yes!

Ok, you crawly bum lick Neo go-seers! Neo is currently being mobbed by throngs on the way to his room. Many of them are giving him stories of woe that they want him to promise to do something about- all he can do is vaguely promise to help.

Public Information Announcement

Today's tactical combat lecture is being kindly given by recently returned Captain Dallas of the Shahazarad. The subject of the lecture is:

"Agents- a Survival Guide."

The lecture begins in one hour in the meeting area by the Temple.

(Ariadne doesn't mind if you guys leave to go- right now all she is doing is cataloguing parts for easy reference later, the dull part of the procedure)

Vim
Vim walks to the elevator, and goes to the same floor he always has everytime he's come back. The ... thirteenth. He knew something was odd about the number, but he couldn't remember. As he gets off the elevator he sees Cypher, the traitor! At first Vim panics, then he realizes that it is only a look-alike. Still just the sight of someone looking the same way... Vim gets off the elevator, thinking why would anyone want to look that way. Then he remembers someone else, Bane, he looks like a bit like Cypher, too, Vim thought. He opens the door, lights hum to life, and throws his stuff on the futon like couch thing. He practically runs to the bathroom! Then after washing his hands an face, he stares into the mirror, tries to make his hair as much like Neo's as possible, of course if Dallas ever found out how much he idolized Neo, he would probably be thrown off the ship!
Vim throws on some decent enough clothes, and hits the Zion "night" scene!

genral zink
"Give me some tequila, bartender..." Heff says when he reaches the bar. "Make it quick, I need to get to that tutorial about those FBI agents...er...Agents..."

JediHDM
*walking into engine room, parts in his arms* I got the parts, despite the fact that the Neb is needing some of these same parts...*places parts off to side, out of the way of Ariadne and her inventory* Do you need any other help before i go to the Temple meeting? If not...

(*Note: Wheres the Temple? is it here, or on another thread?*)

tptmanno1
"Hello Araidne, Hello Coeus, sorry i overslept, whats up??"

Fire
"I'm off to the temple Ariadne, Coeus, Burn and I assume I'll find Rade there. If anyone wants to share a lift tell me now"

Bespin Bart
Mors forces his way to the front of the throng and hollers to the people persuing Neo.

"People, people! This man must be very weary, even if he is The One! Give him his space! He will help you as he can within time, but now is not that time!" He puts himself between Neo and the crowd, repeating his message a few times in his loudest tone. He then turns to Neo.

"Welcome to Zion, kid," Mors says. "Sorry about the throng, but it is exciting if you are The One. I'm not sure what to believe, but I have not heard yet of your adventures with the Nebuchadnezzar. Apparently you did something extraordinary..."

tptmanno1
"count me in"
Follows Fire

Fire
*heads to the elevator*
"So Burn you've been with us for a while how do you like it so far?"

JediHDM
*yells down hallway* I'm coming!! Don't get too far ahead!! *Turns back to Ariadne* You're sure you'll be fine?

Fire
Yells back:"Keep your pants on C. I haven't even pushed the damn button man, but don't take too long OLD man"

tptmanno1
"well, its damn better than living in the matrix, as a coppertop, food sucks though, but i've only been on blue milk runs inside the matrix, so i can't really say too much about that. The one mission i did go on was crazy, it was supposed to be easy, pop in, talk to someone, i forget who now, and pop out, didn't go that way, ran into a squad of swat officers, nearly beat the living crap outta me, ended up in the sewers, walking around in there for hours trying to find the exit that my operator hooked up for me. after that mission i decided i better get good at guns so i don't hafta do that again, man that sucked. we better wait up for Coeus, don't want him to get pissed at me, doesn't seem like a fun thing to do.

Fire
"Yes Coeus has a temper from time to time. But he''s an OK guy, he's been my sparing partner in Katana combat for quite some time now. And next time you get in the sewers get out as fast as possible. if an agent finds you there you're dead. No place to run also you can get lost pretty fast. That's why I like to stay above the ground

JediHDM
*walking up* Thats right it's not a fun thing to do, young uns, but you call me OLD one more time, and we're gonna be in the Dojo, "practicing", if your YOUNG mind can get around that idea...Well, are you just gonna stand there staring, or you gonna press the button? ...anyway, I just HATE to think of all those poor batteries still plugged into the Matrix...*shakes head* i just don't understand how one can CHOOSE that over this *motions around* I mean, yeah, the foods not great, but i'd much rather KNOW the food's REAL than THINK it's good...How long does this lift take?

tptmanno1
"I know what u mean Coeus, but i wouldn't mind a good burger, fries and a shake every once and a while even if it is fake," *pushes button again* "The sewers wasn't the best place to spend a couple of hours for more reason than one fire, i swear i smelled after a jacked out. I could use to get in somemore practice, I just downloaded a new knive stlye and havent been able to try it out yet."

JediHDM
We could ALL use some more practice...Its been TOO long for me, i'm beginning to get antsy for a fight, even if it's just one of YOU...And we're all gonna have to get used to travelling in groups, otherwise...I just don't wanna lose anyone again...You know? So, i advise we set up partners, or something, so nobody gets seperated for too long. And as soon as Zion control gets the Dojo back up and running again, we ALL need to be in there, practicing, honing, LEARNING...Man, i love just looking at Zion, don't y'all? I mean, just marveling at the power of the people, here, in this place. It makes me happy to be a part of something, something like the Shez...and crew member with you guys...even if you are YOUNG...

Fire
(euhm HDM Fire is 33 I wouldn't call that young)

"Well C. I challenge you to a fight when the Dojo's back seeing as you THINK you can beat me smile"

JediHDM
(but burn is youngER than we...)

Fire, i accept your challenge, OLD BUDDY...I've got age on you, though, so dont think you're any more proficient than I...just don't cry when you lose, i hate it when men cry.

Fire
"I won't old man I won't"

JediHDM
So, when does this meeting begin, again? I'm curious as to EXACTLY what he can tell us, aside from "RUN YOUR @$$ OFF!!!"...doesn't seem to be anything else he CAN tell us...

tptmanno1
"will u cry when i snipe u??, I dunno but the sooner we get there the better"
*yes burn is younger than u 22, 23 25 at the oldest

Fire
"Nah I won't cry but I assure you you will when I get close enough!"

JediHDM
Not if you CANT get close...so, Fire, sword-fight or old-fashioned, bare-handed brawl?

tptmanno1
"Knives anyone??"

Fire
"swords it is, but if you feel the need to put in a kick feel free"

JediHDM
oh, i will, don't worry...And no holding back, this is to be an all-out struggle, our first fight.

Ushgarak
That's what we like, nice comfy crew dynamic...

Temple is at the base of ZIon so everything that happens there goes on in here.

--

"He just did his job like everyone else here," says Trinity, pushing through the crowd and standing in front of a nonplussed Neo. "So let him enjoy his shroe leave like everyone else."

She takes him away, Lucky guy...

Ushgarak

tptmanno1
"Is it possible to hit an Agent with a high powered sniper rifle? I have heard that those bullets move too fast for even Agents to dodge. But that may have been just a rumor though."

Ushgarak
"Not a chance," says Dallas. "Agents have highly sophisticated threat routines built in; they know when a weapon is pointed at them and they can react when the trigger is pulled."

Captain REX
"Hey Dallas, I have a question. What would swords do if they came in contact with their limbs? I've never seen it happen, not even around Mors. Also, is it possible to even hit Agents with bullets?"

Ares restrains from asking questions about Neo.

Ushgarak
"You can hit an Agent with a bullet if there are so many bullets in one area it doesn't matter how fast they dodge. We are talking something more than hand-held arms here. Nothing we could call tactically viable. A pointblank shot would do it as well; I do not recommend trying.

"Agents don't tend to bleed but a sword cut would hurt them."

Captain REX
"Interesting," Ares says. "Erm...why don't they bleed? Also, would they leave their occupied bodies if they lost a limb or their head?"

Ushgarak
"They don't bleed like you or I becayse their physiology is different inside the Matrix. As for leaving their occupied bodies, they still have to follow the same rules as the rest of us the rules of when a human should and should not be dead. Losing a head normally does the trick."

JediHDM
If we were to cut off their arm, is it theoretically possible that we could beat them? I mean, if we were to say, Clever fox around them and slice with our Katana at the same time, could we not beat them? Of course i'm not gonna try it, but, theoretically, is it physically possible? I've been around an Agent or two in my lifetime, so i know to run like there's no tomorrow, i'm just questioning for the lil ones...

Ushgarak
If you have cut off their arm you have pretty much won the fight.

This has never happened.

JediHDM
*turns to the kids*...And probably won't. An agent is not going to sit idly by while you pull out your sword and chop off their limb. Remember that. And don't EVER try to fight them, you get away from them and get out of the Matrix, understood?

tptmanno1
"Greanades? Sence they have an are of attack, or a blast radius, could it be concevable to kill and agent with a granade?"

BTW, this works in ETM, go to the factory level, get the wierd grenae launcher, flip on infinite ammor, and when u get chased by the agents in the end of the level, fire away and u can kill them, even get their guns, it works with the run from Smith level too

JediHDM
you would have to set the grenade to go off almost instantaneously, otherwise they WILL move away, and then there is the point of making sure it doesn't hit YOU as well...so, not concievable to try.

tptmanno1
"Well if ur being chaced by one, then pull the grenade, throw backwards, and run like hell, should slow them down, no??"
*at JediHDM's character*

Captain REX
"I'm not sure...I've never tried it..." Ares says. "Probably won't try now...I've only run from one Agent, and I've only been confronted by one Agent. It was that one called..er...Smith...the one that..." Ares starts to finish, but shuts up.

JediHDM
i think i would follow Ares' example and NOT TRY, because it is too risky..

Ushgarak
What would YOU do if a grenade came your way? The Agent can do anything you can.

Captain REX
Run. Kick it away. But mostly run.

JediHDM
I have NEVER seen an Agent resort to explosives, EVER. They will shoot at you, they will use Martial Arts against you, but never have i seen or heard of an Agent using Grenades or even something like a stun-gun before, so i dont think you will have to worry about that. However, if one IS thrown at you, get away from it, as fast as you can. If you are in an alley, and the grenade is overthrown, either find an alleyway, or go as far around as possible, but run. FAST

Captain REX
"Obviously, Coeus," Ares says. "Dallas's point was that if you throw a grenade at an Agent, they will do the same thing you would do if a grenade was thrown at you. Running. Avoiding it."

tptmanno1
"Good point. But my comment still stands, it would be a good idea to drop a grenade behind u when running away from an agent. It would slow him down enough for you to escape."

JediHDM
Ah. Well, then. I see, but my point is still valid. Not that i am trying to undermine the Captain. Oh, forget it...

JediHDM
(note: do you know what i just realized? no drinks in Zion...know why? because you need grain, or potatoes, etc to make liquor...so, its water for us...and goo)

Captain REX
(Captain referring to Dallas right? Cause I'm Ares...)

"Well, he could just go around the grenade, couldn't he?"

JediHDM
(yes, i was refering to Captain Dallas.)

and i dont think it would be...justifiable to bring a grenade into combat, too much of a liability...and no way to honestly use it against anything over knowledge of level 1 concerning the matrix, level 1 being the mindless cops, etc...

Captain REX
"Also, I've had grenades kicked back at me before...it's not nice..." Ares says. "It was very vicious indeed."

Fire
"If you would set it to explode on ground, which I think would be the least bad way, to use this tactic, the agent would still jump it, remember they can jump as far and as high as we can. a grenade has a blast radius but it ain't that big. If I were an agent and someone threw a grenade that exploded on impact. I'd jump over the blast radius.

Ushgarak
"Indeed," says Dallas. "Except in enclosed spaces a grenade is a poor weapon against an Agent and even then it is still a very haphazard weapon, not something you should rely on. And you will not surprise an Agent with one, either. If he is focussed on you as a target, any threat from you to him he will detect. But more on that in a moment."

Dexx
"what we SHOULD do against an agent?" muttenr Rade to his nearest listeners. "we should run like hell and hope that the operator knows how to get our endangered asses out of there"

Ushgarak
(Oooh, remember what Dallas said about relying on the Operator...)

"Ok," says Dallas. "Discussion time over, listen up again. Now we move onto the practice of things. What to DO when an Agent comes a-knocking.

"First thing we are going to do is assume there is a good reason you did or could not run when you first saw it. I can appreciate reasons, good ones. Maybe you DIDN'T see it, and it is already next to you. Maybe you ran and it traced you. Maybe you hid and it found you. There are also bad reasons, like you thought it would not see you; I appreciate them less. Maybe, God forbid, it is a trap. Or sometimes you might have a fixation with completing a misison even after the Agents turn up. Some people have done that. Some have even gotten away with it. Zion makes heroes out of those who get away with that. But the dead who tried it just get added to the Memorial List. Better a living soldier than a dead hero, I say. That said, the work we do is important. You'll have to judge for yourself whether a risk is worth it. And listen to whoever is in charge- that is WHY we have a rank structure; it is their call.

"Whatever the reason, there you are, up against an Agent. What do you do now? Well, first of all, let us take a quick look at the purpose behind Agent fighting. What exactly are you trying to achieve?

"Let us pretend, for a moment, that fighting an Agent is like fighting one of us- it's hard, but one person is going to win and it might well be you. What do you get if you beat him, smash him down, break his neck? The answer? The same thing over again 30 seconds later when he takes a new body. And again after that. And again and again and again.

"What the hell would the point be? You'll never beat them all. So there can be only one answer- 'In the time it takes for a new body to get to me, I can run'. That at least makes some sense.

"Now, let's get back to the 'real' world, as it were. You can't beat the Agent, even once- not in any realistic sense. It's NOT like fighting one of us. But the theory is exactly the same! You are only fighting the Agent in order to get away from him.

"And that is the only realistic thing you can do in such a fight. Don't fight to win, fight to get away. If you turn your back on an Agent he will have no trouble breaking your spine. But if you can fight an Agent to the point where he might be at a bit of a disadvantage- make him stagger, make him flinch, get him AWAY from you- thern you have a chance to get OUT of there! Then it is a straight chase and you might lose him. Sure beats dying.

"When running from an Agent, do anything you can. Jump on buildings and run along them because then at least the Agent cannot use mundane back-up, he'll have to do the work himself. Get a car if you can. Anyone's car. Don't feel sympathy for a coppertop- your life is more important than theirs, and besides which if you don't throw them out and steal their car, a moment later it might not be a coppertop in a car but our friendly Agent instead, and then where are you? In feeling-pretty-damn-stupidsville, that's where.

"We often use the sewers to meet but they aren't a smart place to try and escape an Agent. Sure there are less people down there but you wonm;t know where you are going either. Even an Operator will be hard pressed to navigate you through them- especially if he or she has more than just you to worry about- something people often forget. There might be half a dozen of you screaming at the poor guy or gal for directions. And the more you use the phone, the more quickly the Agent finds you. So, rely on yoursrlf, and keep things simple

"Now, in a chase, there comes the only time when it is worth shooting at an Agent. Because even if the Agent has to stop a second in which to dodge your shots, that is one second further the guy behind chased gets to safety. Of course, this is pointless if you ARE the person being chased- you'll slow yourself up just as much, probably more, by shooting. This is a favour someone else has to do FOR you. Shoot an Agent, help a friend. Careful though, or you might become his target, and your frirend you just saved might not have a gun!

"Distracting an Agent on the chase works because their normally infallible danger sense becomes less acute when they are concentrating on a target.

"Meanwhile, anything else you can do to help slow an Agent- cause car accidents, burst water mains... anything. Every second counts.

"Oh, one thing though- don't bother changing clothes. There is a reason we can strut around the Matrix in shades and trenchcoats and not be worried about looking suspicious. The System simply is not concerned about what you 'look' like in the way we see it. They perceive on a different level. An Agent who sees you will still know who you are.

"So then, that's the deal. Don;t lose your cool and run when the Agent will just kill you. But don't lose your head and stay in the fight any longer than necessary. Fight well, fight hard, time it right, run like hell- and maybe one day you will be known as a miracle worker, like me."

Any final questions?

Captain REX
"No, Captain Dallas, sir, I think that made plenty of sense to me. Thank you for the lesson," Ares says.

(This is gonna make for good story ideas Ush, and I'll thank you for it right now... *runs off to work on Matrix story* )

Fire
"Yea all is clear Captain"

(that's called Stealing Rex)

Bespin Bart
(Rex? A thief? To prison! stick out tongue )

"I was just trying to get the crowd away from him, Trinity. Anyways, see ya later!" Mors says, walking away from the scene.

Captain REX
(I had something else in mind. The whole "Having a friend shoot at the Agent and him becoming the target" thing is something I want to have put in action.)

SpikeSpiegel
Cloud walked away disappointed, "I guess I'll see him some other time then"

JediHDM
"Understood, Captain!"

Vim
"Hmph... these agents are complex little boogers..." Vim says to no one in particular, "I'll do the smart thing and run whenever I get the chance..."

JediHDM
*coeus turns* "Yep, that is the smart thing to do, and you should do it everytime you have the chance"

Dexx
Rade quietly leaves the room (assuming there's no speach following)

Fire
"I hate to say it but the old man's right, running is the best option"

tptmanno1
lol
fight fight fight
do i get front row seats to the fight that will unsue from this??

Captain REX
laughing out loud

"Now Fire, no need to be calling people old. You are a veteran yourself, and are older than most of the crew as well."

Phoenix
((sorry guy's, my cousins been staying so I haven't been able to get on the net. so I don't have to read all 80+ posts, can someone give me the heads up on whats happnin?))

Captain REX
(Nothing really. Captain Dallas just gave us a tutorial about Agents, and The Nebuchadnezzar just landed after we did.)

Fire
So Ares, Virus wanna come and have a drink at my place?

Phoenix
Yeah, I'm tired of this. Whatcha got?

JediHDM
HAHA...Fire calling me OLD is like Hackers breaking passwords...it's a fact of life...haha...hey, fire, am i invited too? Always use a drink in times like this...

Fire
Sure ( you just weren't online at the time of the post)

Fire
I turn to the younger ones:"I'm just messing with him people. Tho burn if you realy want a fight I'll give you one"

tptmanno1
"I could use a chalange, IF you can keep up with me OLD TIMER!!"
"Im up for drinks, lets go"

Ushgarak
Well well well... does this mean people want to make use of a simulated fighting environment?

(sighs)

Poor me... I guess tomorrow I had best put the Dojo together then! And teach you guys how to fight. Eeek! One hard thing- the download system- done, one more hard thing- the fighting system- to go!

Nope, Dallas is done, so you guys can move on. I hope you guys found that helpful! In future times there may be more such hints and help for you guys in the form of lectures about relevant topics. I am trying to get a more interactive spproach to game advice rather than just the disembodied voice of the Gamesmaster Ush just telling you. After all, I cannot pretend to be inspiration from the Force like I am in Star Wars...

Captain REX
"Sure I'll come, Fire," Ares says. "Unless you intend to kick Burn's ass for some entertainment."

Ushgarak
Oh and Phoe, there is no hardcore plot happening in here, in most ways this is just a social RP thread! So you haven't really missed anything.. You might want to reasd the discussion on Agents we had on the two pages before this.

tptmanno1
"Cmon ppl, lets go! I wanna get a drink before i kick Fire's ass."
Cmon ush, double time, i wanna try out the new fighing sim

Captain REX
laughing out loud

Ushgarak
Virtua Matrix, huh? Well, I shall see if I can get it going tomorrow!

tptmanno1
well i guess that would be ok sad
I have to practice and watch the simpsons so ill be ok for today

JediHDM
Ush, you're the greatest...

JediHDM
Now, to get this thread back on track...

*Coeus quietly slips away from the crowd, to a darkened corner of the Temple, a holy place set aside for mourning and remembrance. It is here that Coeus lets down his guard, drops his facade, and thinks back to a time, when life seemed a little less complicated, less full of worry or strife, a time when he was but a child, not more than 20. A time when Theia was still alive... Coeus thinks back ten years, and remembers his wife, a woman not much younger than himself, full of the same fiery personality and gusto that has made Coeus into the hardened veteran he is today. Although Theia died in a seemingly blue-milk run into the Matrix, she will always be remembered in Coeus' heart, and will live on in his mind. It is the one thing about Coeus that no one else knows about, save Fire, his best friend for as long as he has been free... Coeus sits down, meditating, and speaks out* "Theia, what has happened to this world? What has become of childhood innocence, of fearlessness, of wonder? Has it all just forsaken his planet, these people? ...I have joined a crew, under Captain Dallas, and, i have become a Senior member of his crew. I know you wished for me to move on, so i have done this, for you. Ever since we lost the Erleuchtet, you know how i hated returning on a ship, leaving the relative peacefulness of this haven, even to free more individuals. Although i did it with quiet determination, you were there, and still are. Its just, i wonder, what's the point? I mean, i know we need to free people, it is our duty, but we will never stop the Matrix like this, its just too big, not enough ships, not enough people...I wonder, if there really IS any hope for us..." *sighs* "Ah well, we shall soon see if i have retained any of my former strength, soon, soon the Dojo will be operational again, and soon i will be able to best anyone, anyone, that is, except you, my love, except you...Theia, i love you, and i always wil..." *chokes up, and begins to cry, although he detests himself for showing any weakness, he cannot stop himself, and soon the tears flow without restraint, as Coeus remembers...*

Fire
"Burn if I were you I'd cover my six, but first a drink, let's go"
and I bluntly lead the way to my place, from the moment we leave the temple I start singing: "PARTY PARTY PARTY"

JediHDM
*Coeus finishes crying, stands up, and walks to the lifts, exiting the Temple as quietly as he entered. He walks with a quiet determination, a resolve unseen in all but the most seasoned veterans. Suddenly, he stops, hearing something that reminds him of a time long ago, and he turns, heading in a new direction, towards a familiar place. It is Fire's home, a place he has seen more often than not in the past few years. He knock on the door, but, as it is cracked, pushes inward* "Hey, FIre, guys, mind if i join you?"

JediHDM
(note: wow, that post was really sad, huh? i didnt realize until i just re-read it, how really sad that is...It made me tear up, and i KNOW its not real...i'm sorry, i guess its good for character background, but, thats sad...oh well, back to the thread)

Dexx
fighting place..yup..that's the one for me....

Ushgarak
Awww, you guys are so cute and violent... ok, gimme a little while to get it all together.

Neat, Jedi... character background ALWAYS good... that is also part of what this thread is for...

Ushgarak
Good Lord, I have been working on this for three hours!!!

Ok... well, I am about to create the Dojo thread. You had better like it!

Ushgarak
(pants)

Well, THAT all took long enough...

Fire
"Sure my friend come on in"

SpikeSpiegel
Cloud walked past fires door, "Hey guys, You got any new stories of your latest adventures into the matrix?"

Dexx
i'm starting to read it now, ush....can't wait to test my skills.

Ushgarak
You have to find someone else who understands it first.

Dexx
it can't be THAT complex...they're all numbers afterall. This just looks more like a real rpg, i assume.

Ushgarak
Yes. It's actually just a simplified version of what we actually use at home.

Phoenix
"Hey guys. What's up?"

Alias Neo
Lance leaves room and walks round looking for somewhere to eat

JediHDM
*walks in the room, then turns to look at Fire* thanks man, i could use a drink...i had remembrance today, i almost couldn't take it...I just need to start practicing again...*motions to tray* I'll just take anything you have.

Ushgarak
Plot Event- Arrival of Persepolis

There is unusual activity in Zion today as another ship returns, making five docked on the upper platforms. The Percy, still undermanned, returns from an observation mission on system security activity.

Unusually, its Captain does not give shore leave to his crew, but instead goes to report straight to the Commander- an indication that their observation has discovered something, which would also explain its early return.

Fire
"Hmm weird, aah well we'll hear it when we need to hear it"

tptmanno1
interesting,
yay the first mission!!

genral zink
(Who said? confused )

"I'm sure we will, Fire," Heff says to the older more experienced warrior. "Until then, let's talk, I'm bored of watching all of these Neo-followers walking past. When did they get you out of the Matrix, Fire?"

Ushgarak

Fire
"Quite a few years back about 18 I think"

Fire
*I head for home, after the training I just had in the dojo program*
"lemme know when the mock mission starts sir"

Ushgarak
IMPORTANT NOTE:

Path powers are now on version 1.2, as up in the Combat reference areas. The Dojo uses these rules from this point on.

Please check your Paths as many powers have changed slightly. All powers now have names for reference.

Version 1.21 follows soon. This will have some more minor adjustments, will put back in rules for powers temporarily removed (for balance issues), and will also have a new Path- the Path of the Defiant Farmer- for nunchukas.

ALSO:

Dallas is seeking for volunteers for a combat exercise in the Dojo. He would like six players in total and currently we have three. Please indicate your willingness to take part in this event which should prepare you for assignments...

Ushgarak
Warning- System Changes

Thankyou very much for all the system testing you guys have done so far.

Having analyzed it all, I have decided to risk thaking it all a step closer to the tabletop version as mostly things are coping well.

Therefore, there will soon be a major revision of the Download system and a few changes to the combat rules.

This will be the last major change before you go on assignment. It will be 'bug tested' in the coming mock mission for minor changes only.

It should not require a MAJOR re-think of your Downloads, just some tweaks as you may have overspent in the new system, and so on. Thew new system should better discourage over-specialisation and work better for the long term- right now it had difficulty coping with the xperience system.

Thanks for your patience! Testing on this game is nearly complete and you guys are the pioneers, so thanks again!

Please carry on with your fun...

Ushgarak
Ok, guys, here goes, new rules are in! You will want to check your downloads...

Major change are as follows:

1. Downloading has been re-done. You now have 40 points in total but several things cost more

2. Most Paths now have a Basic Level and an Advanced, rather than Master Level. The bigger Paths- which were just too good for the cost before- now have a third tier Master Level, which costs 5. Naturals now get a -1 discount to the cost of any Path they buy, to a minimum of one.

3. Speed and Strength are now out of 5 and cost more. However, everyone starts with more. Increasing your speed and strength in the Download system is now a drastic, rather than essential, move. Everyone but Hackers are limited to Speed and Strength 4 unless they pay extra. Your base for your MA and Guns scores is now TWICE your Speed.

4. Martial Arts and Guns now cost a flat rate- but if your final total is impossibly high (as most of you, sensibly, operate at), you have to pay extra points to 'support the impossible'. Paying for the impossible counts as a skill for the purposes of the Hot Zone.

5. The numbers have gone up. The average cop is now skill 9. You guys are at about 13+. You can now take 25 hits before being wounded, 35 before being at risk of dropping. But you also now do more damage. This is part of a general re-doing of numbers that balances the system.

6. Naturals are back to +4 focus, Veterans now start with +2 MA and +2 Guns without having to Download due to experience- this compensates them for that lost point in Speed compared to a Hacker being more of a problem now.

You may ask questions like- why is Speed out of 5 when no-one has less thsn 3. Well, that is not literally true, random people you meet in the street would have less. But it is mainly for two reasons- 1. so it gives you the right maount of base MA and Guns, and 2. so it is directly comparable with strength.

And why is Strength out of 5 when no-one has it less than 3? 1. so it does the right amount of damage and 2. so it is directly comparable wit speed...

Ok, I am going to update the rules now and then change your download loadouts. Any questions ASK ME!

This will be the final inconveneince before actual play starts. Thank you for your continued interest!

Ushgarak
REMINDER:

Dallas is seeking for volunteers for a combat exercise in the Dojo. He would like six players in total and currently we have four. Please indicate your willingness to take part in this event which should prepare you for assignments...

Ushgarak
ALERT: Training mission is now in preperation stage...

Anyone who wants to take part, go to this thread:

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f41/t16447.html

Dexx
oh..terribly sorry....i had hoped you didn't wait for me...my internet ran out and i couldn't tell you not to wait for me.

Tiger
ush.... what do I do now?

Ushgarak
You can more or less do what you like in here, Tiger; it is a kinda cross between a plot thread and a social thread.

If you want to practice some fighting, the place to go is the Dojo!

Captain REX
(We're still allowed to post in here even when the Dojo and Practice is in session, right?)

Ushgarak
Yeah, sure, may as well!

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>