Wat Is The Undying Lands?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BLAH BLAH BLAH
i havent actually read the lotr book so i dont really know wat the undying lands are so if anyone could tell me itd be really good thanx

Exa
The Undying Lands is a name for Valinor, the land where the gods live.
It's in the far west and was removed from the circles of the world long before the Third Age.

The only way to reach them at the end of the Third Age (and only for elves) is the Straight Way (forgot the english name... something like that perhaps straight road): the elves that get tired of Middleearth set out with ships from Mithlond and sail west so they somehow come there.
When elves die, they come to Mandos' halls which are also in Valinor.

Hypernova
Note quite the undying lands big grin
But I thought this was preety evil face

Exa
Hm, I love that picture...
(who made it? Nasmith? Cant find any signature)

I also like "Leaving Beleriand" a lot... similar topic... but by Howe. Really sad.

Arwenishott
if elves could only go there, how did the hobbits?

Fire
well I think the only two hobbits that go there are Frodo and Bilbo I think they are invited to join the elves by some important elves, like Elrond and Galadriel.

Orli'sElf7
Yes Eva Nasmith drew that picture if im not mistaken, and yes bilbo and frodo were the only hobbits to go. all i know about that is that all the ring bearers were leaving...even though the one ring was destroyed the evil parts of bilbp and frodo were still there and something about the evlen undying lands would help and heal that. thats my philosophy. o\nce a person is changed by the ring its hard to get rid of it. look at gollum. even if he had no idea where the ring was he'd drown in his sorrow of not being able to have it of hold it again. pretty heavy stuff

BLAH BLAH BLAH
um i heard somewhere that elves can die of grief is that true?

Hypernova
I didn't know there was an Eva Nasmith. Is the picture one of hers?
I only know of a Ted Nasmith rock rock

Blah - I think so, yes.

Arwenishott - Yes, like Fire said. I cannot confirm the invitation by "important people" bit. I think Frodo and Bilbo join the Elves to the boat and Sam goes back to the Shire

Exa
No Bilbo and Frodo are not the only ones.

Sam also goes to the Undying Lands, but years later.

They are allowed to go there because they are ringbearers... and Gimli is invited by Legolas.
Frodo also has the "permission" of Arwen because he goes instead of her.

Yes the only way for elves to die is in war and of grief.

aniron
I heard (from the fellowship dvd -quoted from orli) that elves can die of a broken heart, oerhaos this means in a different way because wouldn't Arwen die of grief if she married aragron and he died like elrond said he would in ttt?

Hypernova
A ted nasmith pic

Exa
ooooh eowyn and Faramir smile

Yes in this point orli is right

lotrlover7000
Sam Legolas, and Gimli also eventualy go

lotrlover7000
it says so in the appendicices

Izz
Does it? I remember the Appendices saying that Legolas and Gimli sail away together, but I don't remember them sailing to Valinor. And doesn't same live happily ever after in the Shire? In what part of the Appendices is it supposed to be?

Exa
Yes Legolas and Gimli sail to Valinor together.
Sam stays in the Shire for a veeeery long time (ands veeeery many children big grin ) but then(when Rose's dead I think) he takes a ship to Valinor, too, as a Ringbearer.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.