welsh in lotr

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

aniron
does anyone else think that elvish might have been based on the welsh language?
here are some examples:

Goled is "Light" in Elvish - Golau is "Light" in welsh

Hon is "this" in Elvish - Hon is "this" in welsh
it also sounds pretty much like elvish

yerssot
well, Tolkien is a prof in english language so, he made it up himself, but of course he could take some base orso

Arwenishott
i dunno im one hundred oercent american and damn proud of it.

Exa
oooooh welshwelshwelshwelshwelsh I love welsh so much...

Tolkien used it for creating Sindarin but I think mostly the sound
He said he liked it a lot cuz its so beautiful and all...

Interesting are there more words like that?

what language is "goled"?

Hypernova
Probably getting my documentaries all mixed-up, but I thought Elvish was inspired by some Scandinavian language?

Exa
... Quenya was inspired by Finnish, yes, Sindarin by Welsh.
They use the same roots for the words but they turn out differently, fitting the language's sound-style.

Hypernova
Oh okay. Thank you.

Now I really have to ask, how do you know so much?

Exa
So much? Thats nothing I mean just look at Mormegil or Ush

Well I'm just interested

aniron
what language is sindarin?

p.s I knew that id find you here exa lol

Hypernova
You can find more info here, aniron smile

http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/

Exa
Of course big grin big grin hm

Sindarin is greyelven and I think in the Third Age the most common elven language (while Quenya is rather like elven-latin... quite dead language)
Its the one mostly spoken in the film (except perhaps sarumans spell, that was Quenya)

Ushgarak
Quenya was the ORIGINAL language. It simply means Speech. It is unsuitable for many purposes, though.

Welsh is a Celtic language so little wonder it forms part of the LOTR language base.

Exa
Well, Sindarin isnt even a Sindarin word but Quenya; the Sindarin name for Sindarin probably was edhellen, "elvish"; cuz why should they name what they use to speak? Pointless.

But not the modern Quenya; The original language is only reconstructed (as "protoeldarin"wink, and Quenya is derived from it as well as Sindarin, Telerin a.s.o.
fx the protoeldarin word for "tree" was something like *galada... in Quenya, g > 3 vanished and as a isnt an important letter in Quenya and d cannot occur alone, it was quenya "alda"... while in Sindarin, there are are seldomly words with a in the end which isnt very practical when speaking fast... but it didnt vanish completely but instead gave some air to d which became dh - galadh.

aniron
thanx stick out tongue Sinadarin is the form of legolas, but his dad is silva (or is it the other way) is silvan also based on a certain language?

Camellia

aniron
okay this is for everyone:

I love the lord of the rings= rydw i yn caru 'the lord of the rings'

a bit of welsh for ya stick out tongue

BingaBonga
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/images/moresmilies/clapping.gif that's awesome aniron, i wish that i was good at it least one other foriegn language...

aniron
welsh is my second language (i live in wales - its not as good as its cracked up to be)

rydw i yn caru um......elves ?

BingaBonga
i've been learning spanish for now 5 years and i feel like i don't know too much of it still, i guess for some people learning languages come easy, sadly i'm not one of those people.... sad

aniron
I dont know why i took french, I hate it, the teacher is horrible to me

Exa
The word "Legolas" is not pure Sindarin but also influenced by Nandorin/silvan.
Comes from "lhaeg" "Green" and "lhas", "leaf" (or "golas", "many leaves"wink
In fact it's a mixture of laegolas "greenleaves" and legolas "farsighted" (or "seeing far" or something like that...)

I also love Welsh and Finnish, my fav languages, but Welsh is definitely the best, I think smile

aniron
so ur saying his name is 'legolas farseeing leafgreen greenleaf' lol

Exa
Yes something like that big grin
Or rather greenleaves-farseeing greenleaf (hm somehow reminds me of Treebeards descriptions...)
Elves love names with two possible meanings or playing with words.

aniron
I noticed lol.

and its funny because they everyone names wherever they are about to enter:
'the watch tower' 'mines of moria' 'argonath' 'rohan home of the horse lords' 'fangorn what madness....' its annyoing but its the only way we'll know about it.

Exa
In fact Legolas is also a silvan
And I dunno any language the few known silvan words are based on and as far as I know its only a variation of Sindarin

Cool I love Finnish lol was my fav language b4 Welsh... what does that mean?
(I only know the names of some animals :P like kissa, hevonen, marsu big grin )

Camellia

Exa

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.