Prince Legolas Greenleaf.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

aniron
Hi I love Legolas, but I was suprised to hear him called "prince" Legolas Greenleaf, is he a prince of Mirkwood? it he is how is it so?

Arwenishott
it id so because Thranduil is the king of mirkwood. Thranduil and the mirkwood army play a large role in the war of the ring. legolas is sent to rivendell, and joins to fellowship.

aniron
okay thanks for that.

so will he actually be king of mirkwood? and why isnt he treated like Galadriel and celeborne royalty lol?

Hypernova
At least, Legolas seems to refer to himself as a Silvan Elf: in Eregion, he says '...the Elves of this land were of a race strange to us of the silvan folk...' (The Fellowship of the Ring II 3, The Ring Goes South). This is confusing, because his father Thranduil is elsewhere identified as one of the Sindar. Tolkien touches on this question in his Letters, where he describes Legolas as '...a Woodland Elf, though one of royal and originally Sindarinline.' (The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien No 297, dated 1967, our italics). The explanation for this is found in the Historyof Galadriel and Celeborn (in Unfinished Tales), where there's a brief account of the arrival of Thranduil's fatherOropher among the Silvan Elves of Greenwood the Great. It's made obvious there that Oropher and his small band of Sindarmerged themselves completely with the Silvan people of the Wood, leaving behind their Sindarin inheritance. That's why Oropher'sgrandson Legolas thinks of himself as a Silvan Elf, rather than one of the Sindar.
- The Encyclopedia of Arda

I'm sure someone will probably add more to this smile

aniron
Legolas' name stands for 'leafgreen' making him 'leafgreen greenleaf' lol
I love "greenleaf" for a second name!

thanks hypernova you no loadza stuff lol.

jpdt1989
Personnaly I think legolas doesn't use his royal title much A bit like Aragorn when he is a ranger

aniron
yeah good point, I guess they can relate to eachother.

poor gimli, Im going to make him king gimli so he can join in too.
I love it when he says "let him go LAD let him be" in ttt it really shows his caring saif towards legolas and not because of his royalty because deep down he actually likes him lol

fini
whoa hypernova...........me gonna be like you in a few months when i finish the histiry of middle earth

question ............do u constantly talk and see things from lotr too???

drunk_nazgul
Legolas IS the prince of Mirkwood... the youngest, Thranduil's son.
Anybody ever find out about his mom?

Hypernova
Not to burst anyone's bubble, and I certainly do not want to take credit for something someone has obviously placed alot of effort into, but that was a quote guys...sorry... It's from The Encyclopedia of Arda.

The person who knows alot is either Ush or Exa confused

I am a casual fan big grin I may know a little more than the average person, but not as much as the people who've read Sil, Unfinished etc... I do love my LOTR book and movie and absolutely adore Alan Lee's paintings on LOTR. The guy rocks rock rock

fini... sometimes pirate I do start laughing sometimes when I realise I've said something from LOTR!!

woodelf
In the TTT, Gimli refers to Legolas as a prince when they are arguing about who killed the most. Is that in the book? I have finally got the book, but haven't got beyond the first chapter yet.

I have been reading some of the posts here and on other websites. I have read that no one introduces Legolas as a "prince". And that he, himself, indentifies himself with the fellowship and not by his title.

Caribbean_Chick
I know it's so coollaughing haha Leafgreen Greenleaflaughing

Legolas is my favorite second to the hobbitslove yes

Kitoky
Legolas Greenleaf son of Thranduil of Mirkwood. In the end of RotK, Legolas where's that head crown, all elves of royalty wheres that. And he is a prince as Arwen is a princess though I believe that Arwen is much older then Leggie.

Thranduil was actually crowned king of Mirkwood after the defeat of Sauron (the first time), and so yeah....

Caribbean_Chick
so then which one will become king/queenconfused

Kitoky
Which heir will become king/queen?? Well none of them really, they all sail into the West to Valinor.

Caribbean_Chick
o yea lolzstick out tongue this stuff is all so confusingembarrasment

Aris
Legolas sailed off with Gimli at the end of the books.

Just to quote Legolas wink

"To the sea, to the sea, white gulls are crying
The wind is blowing and the white foam is flying
West, west away the round sun is falling
Grey ship, grey ship do you hear them calling?
I would leave, I would leave the woods that bore me
For our days are ending and our years failing.
I will pass the wide waters lonely sailing
Long are the waves on the last shore falling
Sweet are the voices in the lost isle calling
In Eressea, in Elvenhome that no man can discover
Where leaves fall not; land of my people forever!"

Aurora
That is so beautiful!

Kitoky
*sniff* Yes indeed.

LegolasIsMyMan
that used to be my sceeen saver,with Legolas, on a boat at sundown, member aurora

Kitoky
Hey how come I get the smilie with the tongue sticking out on your buddy list!?

Aurora
I have come up with a theory.

Legolas is the Prince Charles of M.E. he will never be king. LOL

bLooMiLiCioUs
stick out tonguestick out tonguestick out tonguestick out tonguestick out tonguestick out tongue

aniron
where did u get it, I wat it give it to me my prrresiousssssssssssse.

bLooMiLiCioUs
eek!eek!eek!lovelove that picture!!!!!!!!!!!

aniron
I know, I got it on www.princeofmirkwood.com I think, It's a great site.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.