Green Day

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DeNiro
they got alot of good songs and shit but my favorite is times of our lives this is a great song it usally makes people cry at graduation and what not but i just find it peacful

Storm
that' s my favourite too, it really IS a great song

royal_jester
Green Day kicks ass!big grin

BurnAllFlags
its all about the cd's before warning...smoothed out slappy hours is good...dookie is awesome..they suck now...good live though

Thing_1
I don't think they are too bad now but they were better before.I have the Nimrod cd and it's pretty good.

loserib
i like that song brainstew reminds me of when i was younger

julibug
I like the dookie cd the best. big grin

blakangel
I guess Imgoing to agree with you on this that Greenday were alot better in their earlier years. Although Ive noticed that some of the tracks on the newer albums are taken from singles B sides released in the 90s.... dont know if anyone else has seen that?

But thats in atime when I used to buy singles and I was poor.... laughing out loud

I dont have a fave album as such; if someone put a gun to my head Id probably choose Nimrod... as I really like 'Good riddance/time of your life'

big grin

grymlock
well i like the earlier green day i'm talking about the album dookie and before... coz after dookie they are just another glamour punk bands..

kerplunk are the best album so far from green day!!

cheers!!

Evil Dead
ah yes........Green Day.....everybody's favorite corporate sell out. Dookie was okay..........but not that great. The best song on it was "Welcome to Paradise" that for some reason or another they thought they had put on another album (on Kerplunk also).

Best album is indeed Kerplunk.......followed by Slappy Hours.....then Dookie. After that I'd say Insomniac because it actually has two songs on it I like. Everything after that is just trash. I hate pop rock. I wish Green Day would die and take their clones (Good Charlotte, Blink 182) with them.

grymlock
beer cheers mate!!

Korri
they rule rock

Jeff_Atello
Not sell-outs, never sell-outs.

I love Green Day, and while Warning was a fairly bad album, it holds no precednt over their previous albums. They rule, and their cover of The Clash's "Should I Stay or Should I Go" is awesome.

Jeff_Atello
Let me correct myself. The cover is of The Clash's "I Fought The Law."

ElectricBugaloo
i'm pissed at green day for opening the door to the GCs of the world

and that cover sucked

Jeff_Atello
Ummm...ok. I loved it, so whatever. And I also like Good Charlotte. Anyway, Rancid has openly said that they like Good Charlotte, and if the can say that, then I don't think anybody has the right to badmouth GCfor not being "punk"

Tex
I grew up on GreenDay!
Smashing Pumpkins
GreenDay
Nirvana
Sonic Youth
Goo Goo Dolls
SoundGarden
Garbage

I loved the 90s! love

Nowadays kids get crap like Avril, GC and SimplePlan! puke

ragesRemorse
Greenday was always a decent band. but they could never reach that level of consistancy. They always hinted at what they could be. It took maturity to take them there. I can't understand why any self respecting green day fan doesnt like warning. It is a great album. It is greenday but they just broke away from redundancy and embraced new musical avenues. I mean really...how much more three cord screaming can one take. Greenday is not a band that is going to lower there mentality or fake there perceptions to create lyrics. if you listen to all there albums they give you there emotions right there in the music. It is there emotions and exagerated views on life, not just what they think people will buy. That is a rare thing to find

Take a note from billy joe and the band, they are thirty years old and growing up. there music is growing with them. This is a sign of a great band. there not sticking to repetition there just changing there music to there life. You knew greenday was going this route with a few sparatic songs like nice guys finish last, hitchin a ride, and good riddance you knew they were changing. Warning in my opinion is one of the best albums i have ever heard. one thing for green day though there music may change, there message is still the same, fu*k conformity, fu*k cooperate rock and fu*k everything else you dont like about me. thats a rare find in a band, we'll see if they do have staying power, there next album is comming out this year after a 4 year break

Jeff_Atello
I thought Warning was bland, that's it. It has its moments, of course. ut "Hitchin' A Ride" is one of their best songs ever.

total metalhead
i've always kinda liked Greenday. They're from a lost time when bands could play catchy rock music without dropping to the level of pop-rock or pretending to be punk. Sure they lost it with their last couple of albums and set the world up for the invasion of Avril and the teenie boppers, but Dookie, Nimrod, Kerplunk and Slappy Hours are all great cd's.

Jeff_Atello
I'm not sure they opened the soor for the Avrils of the world, because it took more than one band to do it. I think they opened the door for catchy pop-punk bands to come in and make great musio without being called sell-outs.

total metalhead
True they didnt do it on their own, but they certainly were a big part of it.

I remeber seeing Greenday when they toured with Blink 182 two years ago, and they were so much better than Blink it was embarrasing.

iluvpippin
i rekon greendays pretty cool smile

Jeff_Atello
That's what I heard...I really wanted to see them.

Explain how they were a big part of that. I don't think they have done anything wrong.

total metalhead
They didn't do anything wrong, at least not intentionally, but the way I see it they're music is teetering on the edge of pop-rock. Along with The Offspring and Less Than Jake, they've managed to keep themselves from falling over that edge into the realms of Good Charlotte, Fountains Of Wayne and American Hi Fi. in other words, all these bands who have been heavily influenced by Green Day and who almost certainly wouldnt be around if it wasnt for Green Day have seen they're huge success and just taken the easy route and gone headlong into pop rock.

a prime example is a fairly new British band called Busted, who are perhaps the worst thing to happen to music since George Micheal. aside from being kiddie pop-rock in its purest form, they are also completely incompetent singers, songwriters and musicians. You know how they got started? They were a tribute band to Green Day.

Jeff_Atello
Nothing wrong with being a Green Day tribute band, but yes...Busted sucks ass. Anyway, I really like pop-punk, as you know. New Found Glory is my favorite band, and even though they are progressively getting harder, they are still categorized as pop-punk.

Red Superfly
I was wondering when Busted was going get mentioned.

I LOATHE Busted. Kiddie pop, rich-kid, stuck-up punk wannabe attention seeking pieces of garbage singing about how some stupid girl dumped them in almost every song they ever write, while pulling stupid faces at the camera.

Not only that - but it seems as though spin-off like Busted are now getting spin-off bands of their own. I saw a Busted-lite (now think about that) band called McFly. Truly awful clone of Busted. What is the world coming to? They can all go take their seats off their BMXs and take a leap off a cliff.

I love Green Day and most of what they have done - but they really did open the gates of hell.

Tari_Ringeril
I like Green Day, my boyfriend played one of their songs for me and I liked it

ElectricBugaloo
Dookie was the 1st CD i ever bought...it's still a very good CD

Jeff_Atello
I don't think they opened the gates of hell. I think they opened the door for good punk bands to get signed to major labels, and in turn, getting recognition they deserve.

total metalhead
Maybe so, but with along with those good punk bands came a whole bunch of crappy pop rock bands. It doesn't matter how much blind faith you put in them, they DID lay the path for the Avril's and Sum41's of the world, theres no getting away from it. It wasn't there fault in anyway, it was inevitable. It still doesn't make them any less of a great band.

Red Superfly
Yes true, like I said they did open up the gates of hell, but I don't hold anything at all against them.

Green Day rule.

B_Ko
Green Day is definately one of my favorite bands. Dookie is arguably their best album, and one of the best albums ever. Warning was sort of the beginning of the end for them, but it did have a couple good songs on ther (Misery, Deadbeat Holiday, and Minority. Woo! Minority!) I hope they release some more kickass albums and stay strong...I don't want them to pull a Megaman X on me...

EDIT: I kinda like Sum 41. Sure, they're a little poppy, but damn, that's good guitarwork.

Also, I've heard punk rock get tossed around before (ie: metrosexual dousches decked out in hollister trying to dissect "Pennyroyal Tea"wink but the biggest insult to punk rock i have ever heard goes as follows:
My friend came over and told me to put this CD in. It was a mix, the first track being avril lavigne. she basically says some stupid shit, and then starts singing this:

"Do you have the time/ to listen to me whine/ about nothing and everything all at once?/ Iam one of those--"

Avril sang Basket Case. SHE SANG BASKET CASE. As if exsisting wasn't enough of an insult to punk rock as it was, Avril just called punk rocks mother a fat stupid whore. She vomited all over the face of what was good music. Thanks, you pseudopunk ditz *****. If i ever meet you, i swear to god, i will rip your face off and wipe my ass with it.

Jeff_Atello
I like Sum41. I think they're very talented.

Avril is a marketing ploy designed to make money because punk is becoming mainstream. I can't stand her, as I know most of can't. But yes, the mainstream punk movement was inevitable, and I'm glad it happened.

Red Superfly
Yes, even though it is a "sin" to admit it, I like Sum 41 too. At least they can actually cover songs and not rip them apart imo, and do a good alternate vesion.

I never understood why everyone seemed to jump on Sum 41 just because they seemed a bit poppy? Everyone took one look at the 13 year old wearing one of their T-shirts and immediately vowed to never listen to them.

Sorry if I offended anyone with my supporting of Sum 41.

Jeff_Atello
I love pop-punk. New Found Glory is my favorite band.

total metalhead
I don't like Sum 41 at all, but I think the Judas Priest-style spoof metal song they did a while back called Pain For Pleasure (?) was pure genius.

el barto
I love the songs "Good Riddance" and "Hitchin' A Ride"

Evil Dead
Kerplunk is still one of my favorite albums.

ragesRemorse
Anyone have idea when there new album is coming out? I know it's been four long years, it's about damn time. Warning kicked some major ass, can't wait for there next release later this year

Darth Revan
New Found Glory, to me, is the epitome of crappy pop punk. I'm not aiming this at you, JA, but I absolutely cannot stand New Found Glory. Simple Plan and Sum41 are also pretty bad, but more tolerable.

Anywho, I like Green Day. Somebody else said this before in another thread... The difference between Green Day and really bad pop rock is simple... Neither plays very much more than four or five power chords, but at least Green Day and the Offspring sound good when they do it. big grin

SnakeEyes
Simple Plan = bad
New Found Glory = better
Sum41 = the best out of the three

Darth Revan
New Found Glory=worst
Simple Plan=slightly better
Sum41=best but still not very good

Myth
I think it is September. I can't wait.

mr.marvel
september 21'st

i agree

Victor Von Doom
Green Day are a good band, can be really good. They have spawned a hell of a load of crap though.

Second only perhaps to Nirvana, with Weezer behind.

el_barto
Finally! A rock/punk band that you like

bardock
i love that american idiot song so true!

A4E
i know!! I luv that album!! but my fav album ever is... WARNING! eek! I luv blood sex and booze, and misery, all of their albums r great but my fav is warnin', btw ppl is there anywhere where i can listen ONLINE green day's and othe rpunk's groups songs??? p[lease help i have three Green Day CDs and one of them is scratched and the other one...my little sister threw it ou oif thebalcony so... and where i live is not easy to get this kind of music AT ALL

ClaraG
they're pretty good, i like american idot and basketcase

Myth
A4E - You can listen to the entire American Ideot album on MTV's website. Couple days till its release. I also like their new B-side, "Favorite Son".

Chaos Loki
mike is hot

Caribbean_Chick
Billie Joe is hotter

Raven Guardia
this needs bumped

I love your sig CC and I agree Billie is hotter

alic88
american idiot is an ordinary song

moonwalker741
Yeah why isnt Green Day being discussed here? This is the green day thread.....well what ever...

Afro Cheese said it the best

"Honestly all Green Day is the same in my eyes. Older Green Day fans look down on American Idiot cause it's popular right now but Dookie was the same way.. it's all the same shit people are just scared to like anything popular.

Green Day is pop-punk, has been since Dookie and always will be. Doesn't make them bad music, but it's time to quit looking down on their new shit and saying it sucks cause it's pop, Dookie was pop too."

Raven Guardia
Originally posted by moonwalker741

"Honestly all Green Day is the same in my eyes. Older Green Day fans look down on American Idiot cause it's popular right now but Dookie was the same way.. it's all the same shit people are just scared to like anything popular.

Green Day is pop-punk, has been since Dookie and always will be. Doesn't make them bad music, but it's time to quit looking down on their new shit and saying it sucks cause it's pop, Dookie was pop too."

well put big grin

I think there new CD rocks, it speaks the truth about the goverment and Bush. Some people probably just dont like it for what their lyrics say in the songs like 'holiday' and 'American Idiot'...People are afraid of the truth. they feel the lies they believe make them feel safe. well its all false security.In my opinion Bush should listen to what Green Day has to say he may learn something. so the majority who just dont like there new CD are probably all them Bush supports.

BasketCase
I agree, I think Green Day is awesome. I love their new cd.

Elanor
Originally posted by Raven Guardia
well put big grin

I think there new CD rocks, it speaks the truth about the goverment and Bush. Some people probably just dont like it for what their lyrics say in the songs like 'holiday' and 'American Idiot'...People are afraid of the truth. they feel the lies they believe make them feel safe. well its all false security.In my opinion Bush should listen to what Green Day has to say he may learn something. so the majority who just dont like there new CD are probably all them Bush supports.

well it may be true. since i live in hungary i have almost nothing to do with bush, i just hear the news about his things and i dont like it, i mean i dont like his things, but thats all. i dont live in the US and i dont live in places that he attacks.

still, i love gd, i love american idiot, it doesnt matter how 'ordinary' it is, i love holiday. i think it should be music and not politics.

rockchickgem
ive got their Dookie and Nimrod albums as well as their new American Idiot album. dunno what one is the best tho they all great.

crazy_c
Woo, love green day to death, they're my favourite band ever! I've got all they're albums. My favourites are probably dookie, nimrod and american idiot, but they're all great.

I'm getting pretty fed up of "old school" green day fans saying american idiot is shit because it's not punk and you're probably just a "noob" gd fan if you like it. I've liked green day for ages and I think American Idiot is a great album!

And who cares what genre of music it fits into, stop trying to fit things in a neat little box! Listen to something because you like it, not because of the type of music it is.

Elanor
Originally posted by crazy_c
Woo, love green day to death, they're my favourite band ever! I've got all they're albums. My favourites are probably dookie, nimrod and american idiot, but they're all great.

I'm getting pretty fed up of "old school" green day fans saying american idiot is shit because it's not punk and you're probably just a "noob" gd fan if you like it. I've liked green day for ages and I think American Idiot is a great album!

And who cares what genre of music it fits into, stop trying to fit things in a neat little box! Listen to something because you like it, not because of the type of music it is.

totally well said, i cant add any more things!

thats what i always try to say, as well yes

oh and i hate when ppl say: "oh no....the radio played boulevard o. b. d. again.....its a same that the radio plays green day, there must be sth wrong..."
i heard a lot of ppl say this......but who cares??? if it is still good who cares how many times it is played or its video is shown...? these ppl should be happy they can hear their fave song instead but never mind...

Raven Guardia
^ I agree, I love hearing it I will even go to Yahoo music and play it over and over again. I dont have the CD yet. but I love listening to Holiday and Boulevard of Broken dreams and wacthing the music video.

Deathblow
Originally posted by crazy_c

And I'm getting fed up of people saying that. I'm an ''old-school'' Green Day fan, as in I prefer the early stuff, but the reason I (and most of the other older fans) don't like American Idiot are two-fold. Firstly, it's been massively overplayed and overhyped. Secondly, it isn't actually that GOOD. It's not shit, and it's actually probably the most punk album they've done, it's just not musically very interesting.

American Idiot is the sound of a fading band trying to make up for their last 3 crappy albums by attempting to make something big and clever, but just end up with something bloated and dull.

moonwalker741
ok i know this is off topic but i am selling green day concert tickets on ebay

I recently bought tickets for the Albany Show on ebay, but then i realized that i wanted better seats, so i got GA tickets and i'm selling my old ones on ebay

There 2 tickets for the Albany New York Show on April 25 7:00 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6522267154

All the details are in that link, please consider buying these if you desperately want to go...

SlipknoT
ok i know this is off topic but i am selling green day concert tickets on ebay

I recently bought tickets for the Albany Show on ebay, but then i realized that i wanted better seats, so i got GA tickets and i'm selling my old ones on ebay

There 2 tickets for the Albany New York Show on April 25 7:00 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6522267154

All the details are in that link, please consider buying these if you desperately want to go... thumb up

crazy_c
Originally posted by Deathblow
And I'm getting fed up of people saying that. I'm an ''old-school'' Green Day fan, as in I prefer the early stuff, but the reason I (and most of the other older fans) don't like American Idiot are two-fold. Firstly, it's been massively overplayed and overhyped. Secondly, it isn't actually that GOOD. It's not shit, and it's actually probably the most punk album they've done, it's just not musically very interesting.

American Idiot is the sound of a fading band trying to make up for their last 3 crappy albums by attempting to make something big and clever, but just end up with something bloated and dull.

That's fine if you think that, I just find it annoying when people assume you've only just started listening to green day if you like american idiot.

Elanor
i think AI is (musically and in other aspects, too) one of their most mature, most professional and most settled albums

i think its not the 'most punk' one, that must be perhaps Insomniac but its just my opinion smile

and its probably not accidental that they got grammy for it and that its as succesfull as it is

but i understand ppl who dont like it...i mean its quite different from the early stuff, but still, i love it yes

Myth
Its more punk in the sense that it is more political but musically it is definitely not even close to the most punk.

Elanor
yes, you're right! yes

moonwalker741
very true

moonwalker741
Originally posted by SlipknoT
thumb up

oooh does that mean your gonna get them?! I really need to get rid of these tickets....

Red Superfly
Everyone likes Green Day, deep down.

SlipknoT
oooh does that mean your gonna get them?! I really need to get rid of these tickets.... Wait what?

Myth
Sold! To the man with the Slayer avatar for $5000.

SlipknoT
shock $5,000!!!!!!

moonwalker741
no cause you put a thumbs up, sorry i just got a little excited...i really need to sell these effing tickets......

SnakeEyes
I have:
Dookie
Nimrod
International Superhits and,
American Idiot

el_barto
Hate to say this but, American Idiot is what turned me on to Green Day. But that doesn't mean I dont like all the other albums, I love Dookie, and Nimrod (I was supposed to get two other cds but the site that I bought them off of fu*ked up). And I can agree that it isn't their best album musically but I think it has a deeper.... how should I say this?... meaning than the other albums.

piratebaby
Green day rocks, and they r a great band, u know the drummer was from slip knot, so he is really good. Anyways i love the song, boulevard of broken dreams,and American idiot.

Morning_Glory
the drummer was from slipknot? ok

SlipknoT
Originally posted by piratebaby
Green day rocks, and they r a great band, u know the drummer was from slip knot, What the f**k? No, Joey is still with Slipknot.

moonwalker741
Originally posted by piratebaby
Green day rocks, and they r a great band, u know the drummer was from slip knot, so he is really good. Anyways i love the song, boulevard of broken dreams,and American idiot.

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA, i laugh at your stupidity....HA

Morning_Glory
i didnt think the green day drummer was from Slipknot.. weird

Luciferia
Havent Greenday been around longer than Slipknot?

moonwalker741
2 more days people

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6522267154&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

anybody in New Jersey or New York or on the East Coast who wants to see them live, please bid!

Elondra
If it includes a return flight ticket then yeah.

IceWithin
ditto that laughing out loud

Elanor
i know nobody cares but GD is coming here, there is gonna be a concert, here, in Hungary. omg.....i cant believe it.

it is on 9th June and im going to Novarock Festival in Austria on 12th June (there will be GD, too). two GD concerts within 4 days.

im happy now.

sorry i had to write it down.

moonwalker741
any body like my new sig

Elanor
me.

its a bit strange but i definitely like it yes

moonwalker741
well i had to proportion it to 450 x 150 which really sucks..

Elanor
you can find some pictures from the new video (wake me up when september ends) here:

http://www.greendayauthority.com/punk.shtml

moonwalker741
Yeah i saw that yesterday, its really cool.....

Libertine
Oh my god how cute does Billie look in that vid.

I saw greenday live in Febuary at Newcastle, they were so ****ing amazing.

Elanor
there are some more pics here: www.greenday.net

dunno, it will be interesting, but must be cool

oh and here is this thing:

http://www.kget.com/entertainment/music/story.aspx?content_id=4B645A02-F4B2-48D0-A889-30D1CBBC7C9A

go and read 8)

what is your opinion? 8)

Libertine
I knew ages ago they were going to make a film about it. I think its a good idea, i mean its not going to be some pop teen bullshit, its going to be about a boy who has problems, severe problems, and if it does go exactly by the album he will end up committing suicide... if its done right it could really be something good.

Libertine
So cute!

Elanor
i knew it too and i also read this article some time ago, i just always forget to put it here 8)

but its interesting that it says its autobiographical

and i dont think the main character will commit suicide...why should he? it doesnt happen in the plot of the album confused

of course everyone can interpret these songs in their on ways...my solution is that he doesnt commit suicide 8)

Libertine
Er he does...

'Jimmy died today
he blew his brains out into the bay'

Libertine
http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/greenday/homecoming.html

Elanor
oh you mean st. jimmy 8) i thought you meant 'jesus of suburbia', the other guy 8)

the one who comes home again at the end and who remembers 'Whatsername' in the last song 8)

Libertine
I was so upset when St Jimmy died.

Elanor
sniff....i love st. jimmy

Libertine
RIP St Jimmy.

Elanor
laughing

do you like the song too? i mean st. jimmy. thats one of my fave from AI

beach_baby_279
i like green day

Libertine
Originally posted by Elanor
laughing

do you like the song too? i mean st. jimmy. thats one of my fave from AI

Yeah it is, i love listening to that song then liste to give me novocaine straight after it. I dont know why i like listeneing to it straight away, i just do.

Legion of Doom
Minority and Basket Case = Best Green Day song ever

Scarecrow756
I love Green Day, I have 3 of their albuims, Dookie, Warning and American Idoit. My favourite song of theirs is Welcome to Paradise and my favorite albuim of theirs is Dookie.

Mankind
I abosulety love the song Warning and Wake me up when september ends

band

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.