worst and best cover songs?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

blakangel
Worst.... well Im sure alot will agree with me when I mention 'Avril Lavigne'..... Chop Suey and Fuel.... also Knockin on heavens door...

totally the worst covers ever! and I also dislike Alien Ant Farms 'Smooth Criminal'

Best - Ok cant forget Nirvanas 'the man who sold the world' excellant cover...
Hendrix 'All along the watchtower' Mmmm that rocked

Plus alot of RATM remegades album have some good cover versions.

and not to forget COFs cover of the Iron Madien Song 'Hallowed be thy name'

so what about you? big grin

loserib
best covers would be
manson's sweet dreams
hedrix all along the watch tower
pantera planet caravan

worst
limp bizkit sanatearium (sp)
korn one

mah
Best? Dunno, lots of great ones. One that comes to mind is Dillinger Escape Plan's version of Aphex Twin's "Come to Daddy".

diegocala
Cake- I Will Survive

Thing_1
Best-Marilyn Manson,Sweet Dreams

Worst-Avril Lavigne,Chop Suey

BurnAllFlags
best: AFI covering Misfit's "Halloween"...tied with this one band who covered "Bye Bye Bye"...i don't really like the Ataris but they did OK on Don Henley's Boys Of Summer
worst: i dono i haven't heard many cover songs but if i heard that Avril song i'd hate it the most

RIO
i am with loserib: jimi-all along the watchtower for best cover.

worst: mariah carey- def leppard's bringing on the heartache (...if it's considered a cover..she turned it into a terrible slow ballad)

RIO
correction: bringing on the HEARTBREAK wacko

heaven's_a_lie
best-faith no more's(war pigs), murderdoll's(white wedding) or either manson's (tainted love)
worst-avril lavigne's attempt to cover (chop suey)_ugh gives me chills to think she actually thought she could pull off a s.o.a.d. Happy Dance

mechmoggy
I quite liked the AAF version of smooth criminal, much better than the original IMO.

I think a truly good cover version is only possible if its an improvement on the original. For that reason I very rarely like cover versions, most people do them the same as the original, and where's the point in that. roll eyes (sarcastic)

wicker_man
Best:
Muse - Feeling Good
Orgy - Blue Monday
AAF - Smooth Criminal
Limp Bizkit - Faith
M.Manson - Sweet Dreams

Worst:
All Saints - Under the Bridge

Lames.s.
Best has to be Orgy - Blue Monday

Darth Hater
organized konfusion

"stress:the extinction agenda"

finti
Best cover : Manic Street Preachers -Suicide is painless (mash theme)

worst cover: Under Cover - Baker Street

Lames.s.
Acutally, I am going to change mine to Metallica's version of Am I Evil?

Grimm Reaper
I reckon the best I heard was
System of a Down - Snowblind (Black Sabbath Cover)

The worst I heard was
Children of Bodom - The Trooper (Iron Maiden Cover)

*Georgina_A*
Best:
Nada Surf -> If You Leave
Muse -> Feeling Good
Ben Folds -> Get Your Hands Off my Woman

Worst:
Avril -> Chop Suey

Ladyluck
The Phantom of the Opera by Nightwish is awesome. yes

RogerRamjet
some really good ones, if not all time bests:

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - All along the watchtower
Joe Cocker - With a little help from my friends (well most of his Beatles and Dylan covers are superb..)
Deep Purple - River deep, mountain high
The Byrds - Mr. Tambourine Man
David Bowie - China girl
U2 - Everlasting love
Nickelback - The ghost of Tom Joad
Manfred Mann's Earth Band - Blinded by the light
Elton John - Pinball Wizard
Johnny Winter - Silver train

crapola:

all coverversions sung by Mariah Carey
all coverversions sung by Robbie Williams
all coverversions sung by various Boy Bands
DEVO - Satisfaction
Madonna - American Pie

Bardiel13
Best
Phantom of the Opera- Nightwish
99 Red Balloons- Goldfinger

Worst
Can't name any at the moment

StinkFist462
Good
Nine Inch Nails - Get Down, Make Love
Faith No More - War Pigs
Marilyn Manson - Sweet Dreams

Bad
Avril - Chop Suey
Limp Bizkit - Behind Blue Eyes
*some local band* - Heart Shaped Box

Aj333
Best Cover: All the songs Nirvana covered in their unplugged in New York set. Awesome

Worst Cover: Tori Amos-Smells like teen spirit (she should be shot for destroying this song)

Blue_Butterfly
Best:
Marilyn Manson-Sweet Dreams
Rob Zombie- Blitzkreig Bop
AFI-Halloween

Worst:
Orgy-Blue Monday
Marilyn Manson-Tainted Love
Mariah Carey-Bringing on The Heartbreak

Phat J
best covers:
johnny cash - that nine in nails song he covered, i cant think of it right now ****
deftones - the chauffeur

worst covers:
pearl jam - last kiss
limp bizkit - behind blue eyes

LizzyT123
Best:
Man Who Sold The World-Nirvana
Brick House-Rob Zombie
that one NIN song....-Devo

Worst:
Blitzkreig Bop-Rob Zombie
Sweet Child of Mine-Sheryl Crow
WHAT THE HELL? AVRIL LAVIGNE COVERED CHOP SUEY? Oh, she can go to hell dude!

VoodooChile89
There are a lot of crappy covers...
But I think that a sweet ass cover is Zakk Wylde's Black Label Society's take on Heart Of Gold - Neil Young... they take a great Canadian classic and put a metal spin on it!

Neil Young kicks ass!
Zakk Wylde kicks ass!
End of f*ckin' story!

VoodooChile89
Oops I forgot some good ones...

How I Could Just Kill A Man - Rage Against The Machine
Pistol Grip Pump - Rage Against The Machine
Purple Haze - Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush (good Canadian boy!)
Little Wing - Stevie Ray Vaughn

Blue_Butterfly
Originally posted by Phat J
best covers:
johnny cash - that nine in nails song he covered, i cant think of it right now ****
deftones - the chauffeur

worst covers:
pearl jam - last kiss
limp bizkit - behind blue eyes

The NIN song that Johnny Cash covered was called "hurt" and yes that was a very good cover song!

crazylozer
Best covers:
I believe I can fly-Me first and the gimme gimmes
Hit me baby one more time-A newfound glory
Barbie girl-MXPX
Everywhere-Yellowcard

stormfront13
ssooooooooo..what cover songs do you think are the best

Phat J
i thought weezers cover of hit me baby one more time was pretty funny, but for actual quality off the top of my head id say the chauffeur by the deftones covering duran duran, it has this really infectious guitar melody in it that you want to listen to over and over again.

Darth Revan
Anything off of "Renegades". smile

jaden101
jeff buckley :hallelujah (leonard cohen)
jeff buckley: calling you (jevetta steele)
jose gonzalez: heartbeats (the knife)
jose gonzalez: love will tear us apart (joy division)
counting crows: the ghost in you (psychedelic furs)

SnakeEyes
AFI's live cover of "Just Like Heaven" (by the Cure), is probably one of the best covers I've heard.

Watch the performance and tell me what you guys think:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvToYSwzRoY

SelphieT
I thought Personal Jesus covered by Marilyn Manson was pretty sweet, as well as Sweet Dreams.

I also like Social Distortion's Ring of Fire.

~Da Rev~
Just to be the average Tool fan, i'm going to say No Quarter by Tool (cover of a Led Zeppelin song)

StinkFist462
Originally posted by ~Da Rev~
Just to be the average Tool fan, i'm going to say No Quarter by Tool (cover of a Led Zeppelin song)

Alpha Centauri
All Along the Watchtower by Jimi Hendrix.

He more or less made it his own song.

-AC

Df02
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
All Along the Watchtower by Jimi Hendrix.

He more or less made it his own song.

-AC

i was gonna go with that...

Also i think Jose Gonzalez's cover of The Knife's Heartbeats is damn good.

The big EH
avenged sevenfold: walk (oringanal band Pantera)

RedAlertv2
Social Distortion - Ring of Fire
AFI - Halloween

Bardock42
Great, most of the covers that came to my mind were already said, so I'd also say most of Renegades, of course "All Along the Watchtower" by Jimi Hendrix, "Hallelujah" by Jeff Buckley, I enjoy the version of "Masters of War" by Eddie Vedder as well, then "The Man Who Sold The World" by Nirvana, the version of "Without You" by Harry Nilsson and I especially like "I Hung My Head" by Johnny Cash, also a great cover song.

BobbyD
With a little help from my friends by Joe Cocker/The Beatles

Da preacher
One of Us - o(+>

~Da Rev~
Originally posted by Bardock42
"I Hung My Head" by Johnny Cash, also a great cover song.

Awesome song.

Dr. Strangelove
Cake- I Will Survive

Victor Von Doom
Why does Manson cover things? Or do...anything?

All of Jeff Buckley's are excellent. Nothing Compares 2 U by Prince. Who would have thought he'd cover Sinead O'Connor?

willman
i dont know the best. but i know the worst:
mcfly-"dont stop me now" (originally queen)

Bardock42
Originally posted by willman
i dont know the best. but i know the worst:
mcfly-"dont stop me now" (originally queen)

I thought the worst was generally accepted to be "Behind Blue Eyes" covered by Limp Bizkit. Or maybe "How Soon is Now" by Tatu.

Oh i quite enjoy "Please, please, please, let me get what I want" covered by Muse.

Victor Von Doom
How about Stayin' Alive by Anal ****?

dani_california
The Clash's I fought the law

Neo_Version 7
I like The Starting Line's cover of "I'm Real" by Jennifer Lopez. I know it sounds lame, but the song really is sick. stick out tongue

Da preacher
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Why does Manson cover things? Or do...anything?

All of Jeff Buckley's are excellent. Nothing Compares 2 U by Prince. Who would have thought he'd cover Sinead O'Connor?

Nothing compares 2 U was composed by Prince, it was first performed by The Family on their album, then Sinead 'o' Connor covered that version, when it became a hit, Prince recorded his own version in 1993.

So it's practically his song.

Alpha Centauri
I would have thought it was obvious he was joking, since he owns every Prince album and stuff.

-AC

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Da preacher
Nothing compares 2 U was composed by Prince, it was first performed by The Family on their album, then Sinead 'o' Connor covered that version, when it became a hit, Prince recorded his own version in 1993.

So it's practically his song.

...yeah.

Alpha Centauri
My favourite Prince album is The Best of The Princes.

-AC

Victor Von Doom
Really? I thought he just Printerviewed Prince.

Princes.

Da preacher
My favourite Prince album is The Best of The Princes.

-AC

My favourite is either Come , LoveSexy or sign 'o' the times.

I have 'em all Xcept for One Nite Alone Live.

Kram3r
Lovesexy is excellent, Sign O' the times is slightly flawed. The Best is Purple Rain. As for great covers I think I'm going with I was made to love her by The Beach Boys. There's so much passion is that f*cking song. Stevie's version pales in comparison.

Da preacher
Originally posted by Kram3r
Lovesexy is excellent, Sign O' the times is slightly flawed. The Best is Purple Rain. As for great covers I think I'm going with I was made to love her by The Beach Boys. There's so much passion is that f*cking song. Stevie's version pales in comparison.

If I REALLY had to decide I would pick Sign 'o' the times as my favourite.
Waddaya mean flawed? It's a masterpiece!

Purple Rain is so Mainstream, it's even more commecial than Rave UN2, Musicology and 3121. And that's saying A LOT! laughing

My dad LOVES emancipation btw.

Emancipation and Parade are his favourites.

Prince's worst is kamasutra imho, but then U could say it isn't a Prince-album but a NPG-orchestra album.

BlackSunshine
Pantera's cover of Black Sabbath's "Planet Caravan"

Alpha Centauri

Purple Rain is so Mainstream, it's even more commecial than Rave UN2, Musicology and 3121. And that's saying A LOT! laughing

Prince's worst is kamasutra imho, but then U could say it isn't a Prince-album but a NPG-orchestra album.

Purple Rain, though mainstream, is easily contender for one of his best albums.

Others might get underrated as a result, but still.

That said, I love Around the World in a Day lately. I think it caught a lot of underrating due to being post-Purple Rain.

-AC

Da preacher
Purple Rain, though mainstream, is easily contender for one of his best albums.

Others might get underrated as a result, but still.

That said, I love Around the World in a Day lately. I think it caught a lot of underrating due to being post-Purple Rain.

-AC

Condition of the heart, Paisley Park and The Ladder are some gems.
I like it, more than Purple Rain. I don't really like purple rain all that much 2 be honest, It's good but I don't really listen to it.

Check out the Extended version of Raspberry Beret btw, that's some masterpiece.

I think it's on Ultimate.

Did anybody mention the rainbow Children, now that's alternative AND genious at the same time. Like parade but more Jazzy.

With the exception of the horror known as Wedding Feast.

It isn't my favourite but if U ask me which album I think is the best i'd have to say The rainbow children.

It's so different. Unlike anything I had EVER heard.

Afro Cheese
Rage Against The Machine - Maggie's Farm is a good one. Always has been one of my favorite Rage songs, easily my fav from Renegades.

Don't know if they quite qualify as "covers," but everything from John Coltrane's "My Favorite Things" album is superb. They are all songs that are written and originally performed by someone else, but Coltrane's versions surpass the originals on pretty much every track. Like I said though, not sure if they're quite "covers" or not cause the words are taken out of them, and the songs are stretched and even altered quite a bit. The original version of Summertime for instance was about 5 min long while Coltranes was a good 11 minutes long.

Alpha Centauri
Condition of the heart, Paisley Park and The Ladder are some gems.
I like it, more than Purple Rain. I don't really like purple rain all that much 2 be honest, It's good but I don't really listen to it.

Check out the Extended version of Raspberry Beret btw, that's some masterpiece.

I think it's on Ultimate.

Did anybody mention the rainbow Children, now that's alternative AND genious at the same time. Like parade but more Jazzy.

With the exception of the horror known as Wedding Feast.

It isn't my favourite but if U ask me which album I think is the best i'd have to say The rainbow children.

It's so different. Unlike anything I had EVER heard.

Also Pop Life, can't forget that.

Last December ranks up as one of my favourite Prince songs, but I think that and Musicology are his most...cohesive albums. Then again, I think we could go all day saying what we love about Prince.

Personally, I think 3121 is more brilliant than it's getting credit for. He seemed to try a modern style and do it better than anyone else doing it. I love it.

Bit off topic now though I believe.

-AC

Da preacher
Also Pop Life, can't forget that.

Last December ranks up as one of my favourite Prince songs, but I think that and Musicology are his most...cohesive albums. Then again, I think we could go all day saying what we love about Prince.

Personally, I think 3121 is more brilliant than it's getting credit for. He seemed to try a modern style and do it better than anyone else doing it. I love it.

Bit off topic now though I believe.

-AC

The titletrack and The Word are Genious.

The new version of The Dance is 100x times better than the one on The Chocolate Invasion and Fury ROCKS!

Bardock42
I haven't really listened to any Prince. Just thought that would be necessary to mention.

Anyways, here how I would rate the songs on Renegades (I have the uncool one, without the two live songs):

1. Pistol Grip Pump (Volume 10)
2. Renegades of Funk (Afrika Bambaataa)
3. In My Eyes (Minor Threat)
4. Beautiful World (Devo)
5. I'm Housin (Epmd)
6. Microphone Fiend (Eric & Rakim)
7. Maggie's Farm (Bob Dylan)
8. How I Could Just Kill A Man (Cypress Hill)
9. Street Fighting Man (Rolling Stones)
10. Down On The Street (Stooges)
11. Kick Out The Jams (Mc5)
12. Ghost Of Tom Joad (Bruce Springsteen)

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by stormfront13
ssooooooooo..what cover songs do you think are the best

Lobo's rendition of "La Bamba".

Phil Collins' rendition of "Groovy Kind Of Love".

Taste of Honey's rendition of "Sukiyaki".

Jim Reaper
"Hurt." -Johnny Cash, "Hound Dog." -Elvis, "Live and Let Die." -GnR

Kram3r

What's so special about It, Slow Love, Hot Thing, Forever In My Life & The Cross? Most of those songs are really bad tracks. However, there are some extremely well crafted songs like The Ballad of Dorothy Parker, Strange Relationship, Starfish and Coffee and Adore. The rest are good.

I don't understand? What's so bad about an album being mainstream? How does it lessen the quality of the album? Every track on Purple Rain is excellent. Pure 80's pop, and it didn't even come with a poorly made movie attached!

Da preacher
Originally posted by Kram3r
What's so special about It, Slow Love, Hot Thing, Forever In My Life & The Cross? Most of those songs are really bad tracks. However, there are some extremely well crafted songs like The Ballad of Dorothy Parker, Strange Relationship, Starfish and Coffee and Adore. The rest are good.

I don't understand? What's so bad about an album being mainstream? How does it lessen the quality of the album? Every track on Purple Rain is excellent. Pure 80's pop, and it didn't even come with a poorly made movie attached!

Ur crazy!

Btw, Purple rain had a BIG movie.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Jim Reaper
"Hound Dog." -Elvis

If that's a cover then who did the orignal? confused

Jim Reaper
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
If that's a cover then who did the orignal? confused

Big Mama Thornton

Kram3r
Ur crazy!

Btw, Purple rain had a BIG movie.

WTF? Of course I know Purple Rain had a movie. You obviously didn't get what I wrote and you still haven't addressed what I said.

Da preacher
Yeah, the Sign 'o' the times movie was crappy editing, I know. But the album rules.

I'm Thinking maybe I love loveSexy more than Sign 'o' the Times.

lol

Kram3r
Yeah, the Sign 'o' the times movie was crappy editing, I know. But the album rules.

I'm Thinking maybe I love loveSexy more than Sign 'o' the Times.

lol

I never doubted the greatness of Sign O' The Times. I just think it's a little overrated because there are tracks on it that the album could do without. Lovesexy is gorgeous, truly blissful.

'Glam Slam thank you ma'dam you really made my day!'

knight
Is there such a thing... Not if it's a single

Recording a cover song and releasing it as a sing, what's the point
it's already been done... You didn't come up with the concept, talentless hacks really.

I have to say the DJ Sammy cover of Don Henley's Boys Of Summer was horrible on two levels.

1. Cover Song As A Single

2. The Video That Was Done For It, Some guy driving along a beach side road on a sunny day. There was no research done on the song or clip.

Don Henley may as well have directed the original video himself. It was his idea to be floating in the air (strapped to back of a pickup truck).

Boys Of Summer is about lost youth, not happy summer time Pish.

Kram3r
Originally posted by knight
Recording a cover song and releasing it as a sing, what's the point
it's already been done... You didn't come up with the concept, talentless hacks really.

WTF? There are heaps of Talented people who do covers. The are many reasons why an artist would do a cover. Paying Tribute, Have a connection with the song or just plain liking it are valid reasons for covering songs. BTW, sometimes it's not up to the artist to release songs as singles.

JohnnyDo3
Iced Earth - Tribute to the Gods is the best cover album of all time

§P0oONY
I quite like Imagine by A Perfect Circle.... Probably because I don't particularly like the original.

Eis
Jeff Buckley's Lilac Wine and Hallelujah for starters. Allison Crowe's cover of Joni Mitchell's River and Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah are both really good as well.
Another personal favorite of mine is the Joan Baez cover of Forever Young.

And as noted before The Clash's I fought the Law and Nirvana's The Man Who Sold the World are both really, really good as well.

mysterio69
i like 'dead souls' from nine inch nails

Da preacher
All along the watchtower - Jimi hendrix

BornToRule
Master of Puppets - me in the shower thumbup1

that cover just beats it all youpi

sugarrogue
Nickelback: Mistake (Big wreck)
Nickelback: The four horsemen (Metalica)
Nickelback: Sad but true (Metalica)
Nickelback: Ghost og tom joad (Rage against the machine)
Nickelback: It aint like that (Alice in chains)

Bardock42
Ghost of Tom Joad is by Bruce Springsteen. Rage Against the Machine covered it. It's an excellent song ion both instances though. Although the cover is inferior in my opinion.

I would like to add Hurt, after hearing it for the first time a few days ago. Of course it was already mentioned..I just like to portray my ignorance.

Roulette

PandoraMomo
My favorite cover at the moment is Imagine by APC
Hurt by Johnny Cash and Enjoy the Silence by Lacuna Coil are also really good.

Lighthammer
The cover that the Dropkick Murphys did of Baba O'Reilly

Nellinator
Along the Watchtower by Jimi Hendrix (Bob Dylan original)
Turn the Page by Metallica (Bob Siegert original)
Over The Hills And Far Away by Jimi Hendrix and Nightwish (Led Zepplin original)
Fire by Magni Asgeirsson (Jimi Hendrix original) - don't shoot me for liking it just because on Rockstar Supernova as it was actually awesome

Kid Kurdy
Hurt - Johnny Cash

Come again - Sting

Higher Ground - The Red Hot Chili Peppers

Nobody does it better - Radiohead

I am the walrus - Jim Carey (yes, Jim Carey, an AMAZING cover)

Kongu Dude
Ridin- White and Nerdy. stick out tongue

Bardock42
The "My Back pages" .."cover" I have in my sig is excellent.

It has some great artists performing...though Bob Dylan himself sings one verse as well...so I am not sure if you can call it cover.

el_barto
NoMeansNo - Forward to Death.

Nellinator
Originally posted by Kongu Dude
Ridin- White and Nerdy. stick out tongue
Definitely.

Eis
Rusty Cage by Johnny Cash and Faith No More's cover of War Pigs both deserve mentioning as well.

crazy_c
I absolutely adore Amanda Palmer's rendition of Madonna's "Material Girl".

Mywi

Mywi

Selphie
Originally posted by crazy_c
I absolutely adore Amanda Palmer's rendition of Madonna's "Material Girl".

I adore the Dresden Doll's version of Pierre. So cute, I've been dying to find an mp3 of it!

XvampbenjiiX666
umm i love cradle of filth's version of Iorn Maiden's 'hallowed be thy name (shallow be thy grave)'

XvampbenjiiX666
i hate dimmu borgirs cover of Venom's 'black metal'

Impediment
Dimmu Borgir's cover of Twisted Sister's "Burn in Hell" was good.

The Man who couldn't cry by Johnny Cash is one of my very favorites.

Bat Dude
Motley Crue's version of Helter Skelter is pretty badass...

And Metallica's version of Am I Evil...

RogerRamjet
Best:

Joe Cocker & The Ivy League - With A Little Help From My Friends (The Beatles)
Joe Cocker & The Ivy League - Just Like A Woman
The Byrds - Mr. Tambourine Man/My Back Pages/Chimes Of Freedom (Bob Dylan)
The Rolling Stones - Little Red Rooster (Willie Dixon)
Sonny & Cher - All I Really Want To Do (Bob Dylan)
Deep Purple - Help/We Can Work It Out (The Beatles)
The Rolling Stones - I Don't Know Why aka I Don't Know Why I Love You (Stevie Wonder)
Manfred Mann - The Mighty Quinn/Just Like A Woman (Bob Dylan)
Led Zeppelin - In My Time Of Dying (Bob Dylan)
The Jimi Hendrix Experience - All Along The Watchtower/Like A Rolling Stone (Bob Dylan)
Guns N' Roses - Knocking On Heavens Door (Bob Dylan)
Johnny Cash - One (U2)
Joan Baez - The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down (The Band)
R.E.M. - Have You Ever Seen The Rain (Creedence Clearwater Revival)
Creedence Clearwater Revival - Heard It Through The Grapevine (Marvin Gaye)
The Grateful Dead - Not Fade Away (Tim Hardin)
Roxy Music - Let's Stick Together (Canned Heat - Let's Work Together)
Roxy Music - Jealous Guy (John Lennon)
Mark Knopfler & Chet Atkins - Imagine (John Lennon)
The Beatles - Twist And Shout (Chubby Checker)
The Beatles - Dizzy Miss Lizzy (Little Richard)
The Tremeloes - Here Comes My Baby (Cat Stevens)
Aretha Franklin - Respect (Otis Redding)
Nirvana - The Man Who Sold The World (David Bowie)
Oasis - Street Fighting Man (The Rolling Stones)
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Pictures At An Exhibition (Modest Mussorgski)
Manfred Mann's Earth Band - Blinded By The Light (Bruce Springsteen)
UB40 - Red Red Wine (Neil Diamond)
Deep Purple - River Deep, Mountain High (Ike & Tina Turner)

Best Covers that really aren't any:

Melanie - Ruby Tuesday (The Rolling Stones/they wrote it for Melanie and recorded it after it became a hit for her)
The Rolling Stones - I Wanna Be Your Man (The Beatles/not really a cover because Lennon/McCartney wrote it for The Stones and decided to record it anyway after the Stones version)

Worst covers:

Bananarama - Help (The Beatles..was a hit for them and wasn't meant to be taken seriously but i hated it anyway..)
Joan Baez - Let It Be (The Beatles...now i really like Joan but she kinda overdid it with this one, if thought Let It Be couldn't get any "shmalzier" well..Joan proves you're wrong..)
Mad'House - Like A Prayer (Madonna...the raping of one of my favorite 80's tunes)
Cascada - Because The Night (Patti Smith..see above and simply you don't **** around with Patti..)
Take That - all the BeeGee songs they've covered
Mariah Carey - Without You (Harry Nilsson..well he did it but it was originally written by Bad Finger..however Carey's version is a reason adequate enough to go on a bloody killing spree..)
Mariah Carey - I'll Be There (The Jackson 5)
CCS - Whole Lotta Love (Led Zeppelin...really redundant instrumental cover only bit shittier and surprisingly enough a huge hit for CCS, probably favourited by radio-stations back then because of the rather explicit lyrics of the original..)

ragesRemorse
It may not count, but the black crowes and jimmy page is worth mentioning. That is the only time that i have heard a band cover Zeppelin successfully.

Bat Dude
Originally posted by Bat Dude
Motley Crue's version of Helter Skelter is pretty badass...

And Metallica's version of Am I Evil...

Those, along with Metallica's version of Mechanix ( stick out tongue ) are the best... The worst, for me at least, would probably be:

Atreyu's version of Faith No More's Epic (the original kicks ass, but Atreyu's version sounds like pure vomit)

Disturbed's version of Faith No More's Midlife Crisis (they ruined my favorite song! mad )

Mariah Carey's version of Def Leppard's Bringing on the Heartbreak (she turned it all sappy, which imo, ruined any power the song had. It was completely neutered)

Fall Out Boy's version of Gorilla Biscuits' Start Today (ruined a perfectly good punk song, imo)

The Donnas' version of Ratt's Round and Round (I saw it on a YouTube video and I had to shut it off immediately: How could they ruin Ratt's mega hit!?!)

papabeard
Such Great Heights - Iron And Wine
Renegades Of Funk - Rage Against The Machine
Mollys Lips - Nirvana
Dont Cry - Mogwai

Strangelove
Just about every cover Johnny Cash did in his American recordings qualify as "best", in my opinion.

The_Dormouse
Worst: Johnny Cash - "Hurt" (NIN)

Best: the Dickies "Banana Splits (theme song)"
the Dickies - "Nights in White Satin" (the Moody Blues)
the Dickies - "Paranoid" (Black Sabbath)
Dawn Landes - "Young Folks" (Peter Bjorn & John)
Red House Painters - "All Mixed Up" (the Cars)

wicker_man
Good:

Cradle of Filth with Dirty Harry covering Temptation

Akercocke covering Leprosy and Chapel of Ghouls

Evanescence covering Thoughtless

Dream Theater, Russel Allen, Burton.C.Bell & Dave Musatine covering Cemetary Gates

Muse covering Feelin' Good

Within Temptation covering Running Up That Hill

Electric Six covering Radio Ga Ga

Johnny Cash covering Hurt

Bad:

Coheed and Cambria - The Trooper
Fightstar - Breaking The Law
Avenged Sevenfold - Walk
Metallica - Whisky In The Jar
FOB & Keith Buckley - Walk
Fightstar - Leper Messiah
Funeral For A Friend - Damage Inc.
Still Remains - Head Like A Hole
Bring Me The Horizon - Eyeless
Bullet For My Valentine - Crazy Train
The Dillinger Escape Plan - Jesus Christ Pose
Lost Prophets - Davidian
The Automatic - Epic
Gallows - Nervous Breakdown
Darkest Hour - Nazi Punks **** Off (Napalm Death 'nuff said)
Aiden - Drain You

jaden101
gonna have to put Ane Brun's version of true colors up there with the best covers....beautiful version...for those who don't know she's doing the Sky HD ad version on UK tv just now

Bardock42
Originally posted by jaden101
gonna have to put Ane Brun's version of true colors up there with the best covers....beautiful version...for those who don't know she's doing the Sky HD ad version on UK tv just now Sounds good to me, too.

DrewFelton
Best:
Gary Jules - Mad World
HIM - Wicked Game and Don't Fear the Reaper
The Escape Frame - Nothin' But a G Thang

Worst:
Britney Spears - I love Rock and Roll

occultdestroyer
Best:
Marilyn Manson - Tainted Love
A Static Lullaby - Let Go
Disturbed - Land of Confusion
Evanescence - My Tourniquet
KoRn - Word Up

Worst:
Evanescence - Thoughtless
Avril covering Chop Suey?? What the f**k?

ragesRemorse
few of my favorites

Attaboy--Ghostbusters
The Ramones--What a wonderful world
Jimi Page--All Along the watch tower
Black Crows--Sympathy for the devil
Smooth Criminal--Alien Ant Farm
Maggie's Farm--Rage Against the Machine
Summer of 69--Bowling for soup
Last Kiss--Pearl Jam

Worst

the Wall--Korn

Discos
My personal favourite covers are:

Motley Crue - Shout At The Devil / Smoking In The Boys Room
Faith No More - War Pigs
Def Leppard - Waterloo Sunset

jaden101
Originally posted by ragesRemorse

Jimi Page--All Along the watch tower

who?

celestialdemon
Best:

Jimi Hendrix - All Along the Watchtower
Nirvana - The Man Who Sold the World
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Higher Ground
Aretha Franklin - Respect
Chris Cornell - Billy Jean
Santana - Black Magic Woman

And of course the greatest:
Dynamite Hack - Boyz in the Hood

Worst:

Marilyn Manson - Sweet Dreams
Sheryl Crow - Sweet Child O'Mine
Avril Lavigne - Chop Suey
Dolly Parton - Stairway to Heaven

Sadako of Girth
Tori Amos' dreadful "smells like teen spirit" will live forever in infamy.
Anything that is a shitty pretty boy chart pop punk cover of an existing previously cool tune.
G'n'R's cover of Sympathy for the devil:
There is no...I repeat...NO excuse for that barbarism.

FNM's versions of the Commodores "I'm Easy" "I wanna f*** myself" and "Warpigs" were so good they arguably better the originals.
G'n'R's "Live and let die" was an awesome cover of the Wings tune.
Machine Head did a really tasty version of Metallica's "Battery"..
Soundgarden's cover of "Stray cat blues" was damn cool.

Funkadelic
Best cover song ever is : Walk On By - Isaac Hayes

Blinky
Worst:
System Of A Down - "Snowblind"

They should be f*cking crucified for ruining this classic song.

Paola
I'd crucify System of a Down for less than that...

I really really really enjoy Disintegration (The Cure) by Decadence rock

Kento
Worst
Anything done by Avril
That one Christmas song done by Ozzy with Jessica Simpson

Best
Hurt by Johnny Cash
Surrender by Zebrahead
Behind Blue Eyes by Limp Bizkit

Tempe Brennan
Can't think of any worst...oh wait, Angels by Jessica Simpson.

Tarja Turunen did a good version of Alice Cooper's Poison, and Within Temptation did a good job of Kate Bush's Running Up That Hill.

Impediment
One by Korn has got to be the very worst cover I've ever heard. They didn't even do the guitar solo FFS.

omgchos
Metallica's cover of Bob Seiger's Turn the Page was Frikin awesome, there are also alot of other great covers on that album.

occultdestroyer
Best:

Orgy ~ Blue Monday
Marilyn Manson ~ Tainted Love, Personal Jesus
Limp Bizkit ~ Behind Blue Eyes
Johnny Cash ~ Hurt
Disturbed ~ Land of Confusion
Boys Like Girls ~ Let Go
A Static Lullaby ~ Let Go (same song from BLG and Frou Frou)

Worst:

Avril Lavigne ~ Chop Suey!, Knockin on Heavens Door
Evanescence ~ Thoughtless
Britney Spears ~ I Love Rock N Roll
Madonna ~ American Pie
50 Cent ~ Right Round (not really a cover, but it sucked compared to the original)

omgchos
Originally posted by occultdestroyer
Worst:

Avril Lavigne ~ Chop Suey!

I just listened to this, and i think she should be punched in the face for doing that.

Doctor-Alvis
I really like After Forever's cover of Evil That Men Do by Iron Maiden, and Iron Maiden's cover of Cross-Eyed Mary. I'm also torn between whether or not I think Therion's cover of Summer Night City by Abba is funny or awesome. Or both.

For worst covers, it's hard to not just say Tori Amos. But I'm going to do it anyway.

jaden101
Originally posted by Doctor-Alvis

For worst covers, it's hard to not just say Tori Amos. But I'm going to do it anyway.

laughing Nice.

jinXed by JaNx
Garage Inc.
bowling for soup----- Summer of 69
Attaboy skip----Ghostbusters theme
All Along the watch tower-- Jimi
I love rock and roll---Britney Spears (guilty pleasure ;p)
Maggies Farm---Rage against the machine
Trans Siberian Orchestra..., they always feature the best covers during their concerts lol

Worst
American Pie--Madonna
Kashmir---puff diddy
Absolute most worst...,dont go breaking my heart----macy/odb

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by Impediment
One by Korn has got to be the very worst cover I've ever heard. They didn't even do the guitar solo FFS.

Dude, i keep having to revise my list here because people keep throwing out goods and bads but yeah...,that was atrocious sick

Geass
Seether's careless Whisper was the best cover song I have heard.The worst was Shinedown's Simple Man.

el_barto
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
AFI's live cover of "Just Like Heaven" (by the Cure), is probably one of the best covers I've heard.

Watch the performance and tell me what you guys think:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvToYSwzRoY

Wrong.

Best:
Dinosaur Jr. - Just Like Heaven
Faith No More - War Pigs
Husker Du - Eight Miles High
The Ergs! - Hey Jealousy
Lucero - Kiss the Bottle
The Clash - Police and Thieves
Jawbox - Cornflake Girl

Worst:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqvlwPn9eJk

occultdestroyer
One of the very best cover songs I have ever heard in my lifetime! Absolutely great!!

hGW1zcw5sKM

occultdestroyer
Best instrumental cover of Toxicity by SOAD

WMKmQmkJ9gg

wicker_man
BEST

Orgy - Blue Monday (originally by New Order)
Cradle of Filth ft Dirty Harry - Temptation (Heaven 17)
Turisas - Rasputin (Boney M)
Nightwish - Phantom of the Opera (Nightwish)
Lacuna Coil - Enjoy the Silence (Depeche Mode)
Johnny Cash - Hurt (Nine Inch Nails)
Akercocke - Chapel of Ghouls (Morbid Angel)
Dresden Dolls - War Pigs (Black Sabbath)
Dark Tranquility - My Friend of Misery (Metallica)
Ted Maul - Spheres of Madness (Decapitated)
Trivium - Master of Puppets (Metallica)
Killswitch Engage - Holy Diver (Dio)
Rammestein - Pet Semtary (The Ramones)
Deicide - Black Night (Deep Purple)
Dream Theater and Friends - Cemetary Gates (Pantera)
Pantera - Planet Caravan (Black Sabbath)
Napalm Death - Nazi Punks F**k Off (Dead Kennedys)
Nirvana - Man Who Sold The World (David Bowie)
Opeth - Remember Tommorow (Iron Maiden)

WORST

Fightstar - Leper Messiah (Metallica)
Fightar - Fear of the Dark (Iron Maiden)
Funeral for a Friend - Damage Inc. (Metallica)
Avenged Sevenfold - Walk (Pantera)
Arch Enemy - Symphony of Destruction (Megadeth)
Metallica - Whisky in a Giro (Jar) (Thin Lizzy)
Gallows - Wraithchild (Iron Maiden)
Coheed and Cambria - The Trooper (Iron Maiden)
Guns 'N' Roses - Knocking on Heavens Door (Bob Dylan)
Children of Bodom - Aces High (Iron Maiden)
Funeral For A Friend - Boys are Back In Town (Thin Lizzy)

jaden101
m9CPwuWteHA&feature=related

I'd have to put this up there with my favourite covers.

Myth
I think most of my favorites have already been listed, so I'll just list a couple other covers I really enjoy that I don't think have been listed yet:

Dope - You Spin Me Round (like a record)
Dope - Rebel Yell
Marilyn Manson - Personal Jesus & Highway to Hell (and any Manson cover for that matter)
Fozzy has a few decent ones, none exceptional, but several are better than the originals
White Zombie - Children of the Grave
White Zombie - I'm Your Boogieman

Worst
Marilyn Manson - Iron Man

steverules_2
Originally posted by Myth
I think most of my favorites have already been listed, so I'll just list a couple other covers I really enjoy that I don't think have been listed yet:

Marilyn Manson - Personal Jesus & Highway to Hell (and any Manson cover for that matter)

Worst
Marilyn Manson - Iron Man

confused

Myth
Originally posted by steverules_2
confused

I meant "many" Manson covers, not "any" Manson covers. wink

occultdestroyer
OvYZMqQffQE

occultdestroyer
Best:

Atreyu ~ You Give Love A Bad Name

occultdestroyer
okeEt_7_3dI

Puts Rihanna's original to shame

saphiree95
Originally posted by occultdestroyer
okeEt_7_3dI

Puts Rihanna's original to shame

No it doesn't eek!

teamB_macro
Nirvana - Man who sold the world

Avril Lavigne - Knockin on heavens door ack!

Darth Jello
Best: Beck-Green Light (originally by Sonic Youth from the EVOL album)

Worst: Limp Bizkit-You Know You're Right (originally by Nirvana from the Nirvana album)

bogen
Best: No quater, Tool, Salival album. Originally Led zeppelin, houses of the holy.
Worst: Atreyu, you give love a bad name.
Originally Bon jovi, no sure what album.

Darth Jello
The most awesome thing about Beck's cover is that he takes a song that was essentially a rocked out, dissonant, noise fest in GGDD#D# tuning on dilapidated guitars played through overheating valve amps and he somehow pulse off a sincere, acoustic version in what sounds like standard tuning.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>