Widescreen or fullscreen?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

JKozzy
I'm very picky with my dvd's, this may be a bit off the subject, but I want everyone's opinion, what's better, widescreen (2:35:1, aka the black bars) or the full-screen versions (4:3).... myself, I prefer Widescreen... since it preserves the WHOLE picture, and will come in handy once I can afford a WS HDTV someday... smile wishful thinking...
My dad went and bought Reloaded at Bestbuy, and apparently there's supposed to be a special 30 minute bonus dvd that's exclusive to Bestbuy included.. well it wasn't there, so I was going to watch it and have him go get it.. then I noticed the fatal words at the top... "Full-Screen Version".. I immedietly threw it aside in shock, disgusted that I touched the thing. Yes, I'm quite anal upon my movies. I hate how it cuts out the movie. If the movie were shot in the 4:3 aspect originally, I might not mind as much. However, since I'm losing picture, I get mad. stick out tongue

http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/picmeister/WS_vs_FS.bmp

priestjim
Yes yes! I hate losing pixels! But what you may not know is that the original camera films at 4:3 and they widescreen it and then they cut it again so image how much information you miss!

JediHDM
yes, i am anal about it also...i HAVE to have widescreen...can't stand losing that much of the picture...

Sifer
Widescreen hands down - Whoever say's Pan-Scan or Fullscreen is better is wrong...seriously. Also, it is not filmed in 4:3 at all, they use wide angle lenses.

The Omega

spydar1982
wide-screen most definitely!

JediHDM
Omega> you mean WIDEscreen, full-screen is the one that pans...

JKozzy
Glad that I have followers out there... heh like my diagram of the Smiths? For all we know, they could have cut out the cookies!!

priestjim> I've seen the cameras, I think it shows the 4:3 shooting range, but it really only records the widescreen; however maybe I'm wrong.

Sifer
Also, over here in the UK we get both versions in one purchase (if the film has a fullscreen counterpart)

JKozzy
With all movies? Or just select ones... I have Monsters Inc. in the USA and that's both versions, and Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery is the same... so is Legally Blonde I believe.

Sifer
The majority of movies. Even if the film is available in fullscreen and they don't put it on one DVD, they don't release them - it's widescreen or noscreen big grin

SimplePriest
Widescreen period

No substitutions. I had someone buy reloaded for me and then I realized that they had wide and full screen. I was terrified at the idea that my friend might accidentally buy full screen. If he had, I would have definitely sold it to someone else and bought wide screen. No doubt in my mind.

Korri
i agree with Omega fullscreen rules!! big grin

Verity
Widescreen. I always get mine widescreen. Just makes me feel like I'm in a theatre again smile

rysdigital
widescreen. 16:9 aspect ratio owns joo.

rysdigital
by the way, 'aka the black bars' -> the point is you don't get the black bars when you view the movie on a widescreen tv.

khalla
definately widescreen

LeAtHerRFace
Wide screen is going to be better in the future, because the screens are going to get more distorted.

mindbugaling
you end up missing literally HALF the movie in full-screen!

JKozzy
I just mention the black bars since I don't have a widescreen TV rysdigital... I want one thoughsad

dave123
it all depends on your TV, but if i had both tv's. then WWIIDDEESSCCRREEEENN

JKozzy
lucky sad

AliasNeo15
damn, to bad i didnt do that. Full-Screen took out the whole friggin movie. Well, i guess ill hav to spend another 15 bucks

drod400
i've seen the widescreen version of reloaded but, this may be a stupid question but does fullscreen show more than widescreen. like for example if a head is cut of in wide it might show the whole head in full.

kalantiaw
the full screen is formatted to fit your tv, the wide screen is formatted for the cinemas. meaning the full screen only shows the focal point of the scene, the widescreen shows more...

Thomas Anderson
Yeah, the original is what you see at cinemas (so widescreen), and they just zoom in on the middle (or wherever the main bit is) till it gets rid of the black bars on a normal screen TV.

gabimr2
yeap..in the cinema where the trailers are going to crash each other.. just can see the pic of a girll.. and in the tv you cannnot!

JKozzy
Alias, I assume you have it by now! stick out tongue

drod400
i guess its true cus i rented full screen reloaded and in the burly brawl some of the smiths in the wide screen version were cut out in the full

icansee
Widescreen, gives you more picture but only if it is correctly done. I remember seeing the widescreen version of Aliens and just looking at the words aliens in the openning scene was in the incorrect ratio.

In full screen you just miss a lot like a quater of the movie scenes are stolen.

I am I the only one who has notice this but in the brawly bawl, where the one picks up the pole from the ground and puts the pole behind his shoulders ( in the cinema he does so and the waves his hand to Smith to come forth, in the dvd widescreen version that part is not caught in widescreen or Pan and scan).

So this is just another example how I feel cheated by WB.

Korri
i like fullscreen shifty

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.