BackFire's TCM Remake Review

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BackFire349
As is well known throughout this site, I have not been an avid supporter of the remake of my favorite horror movie. I thought from the beginning it would serve no purpose other then tarnishing and spitting on the greatness that was the original. Sadly, after seeing it tonight, my fears and predetermined feelings were realized.

I'm not going to bother with a synopsis of the story, it's so incoherent that it obviously doesn't care about the story, but rather trying to gather as many cheap scares and 'thrills' as possible over the course of 90 minutes. This includes crappy gore, crappy scare tactics (you know the type, a shadow walking across the screen accompanied by a big noise created for an easy scare) and some of the most redundant and unflowing story I've ever seen. Trust me when i say that there is not one quality scare in this movie. They are all cheap jump scares that basically only affected dumb girls who were just itching to scream for any reason, simply because it was a horror movie. They would scream at the most basic and predictable moments, a cat scurrying across the gross acompanied by a loud noise would create some of the loudest and obviously false screams I have ever heard. It was very annoying.

Now to LeatherFace, the greatest character ever to grace a horror movie, but in this one, the most generic and typical villian you could imagine. He is more like Jason then LeatherFace. He is nearly super human in strength and in his ability to take pain. He was messed up pretty bad during the movie, but he just kept going as if he didn't care that much, this was made glaringly obvious by his overdone and over the top look, which was a far cry from his simple and believable look of the original. Also he was lacking his childlike and innocent mentality that made him so creepy yet likeable in the original. Also they showed his face at one point in the movie, at which point i said louder then i meant too "Unacceptable". That word basically sums up the whole movie. It was just unacceptable. It couldn't be accepted as realistic, psychological, gory or any other adverbs that could be used to describe a horror movie. The only word i can think of to describe it, was bad.

Now to the only plus i could give it. R. Lee Ermy (also known as the drill instructor from Full Metal Jacket) is the movies only savior. He pretty much stole the show as the comic relief. His character was demented, funny, and just downright awesome. He kicked ass as usual. That is the only plus side, the rest was a study and meditation on cliche's.

In a genre that has already had so many bad and repetitive movies, i can't help but ask myself, was this one really necessary. The answer to this question is simple. No, it was not.

Go watch the original, you won't find anything new or improved in the remake. Complete waste. Luckily I snuck into the movie after paying to see Runaway Jury, which was actually good, go see that one instead.

xblanex
I didnt think it was that bad. But i respect your opinion as a fellow TCM fan smile. There was quite a bunch of things that dissapointed me, but i dont think its ruined, it will always be a classic.

h0ck3yh0rr0r
ok i haven't seen the remake yet...but on a scale of 1-10 whats the scare factor and the overall grade for the movie? i hope it has a high scare factor.

xblanex
I couldnt tell you the scare factor, because movies seldomly scare me, if ever. Plus I dont know what your scared of. But as Backfire mentioned there all shock scares. Most the people jumped and screamed, etc.. So if your one of those type, then it would be pretty scary. I rate it an 8. It wasnt dissapointing like I had thought, but I'm sure, everyone else has different opinions, certainly backfire does, lets see what he says, he always has something interesting to say.

J-Sin.VS.Fred-D
im going to see a movie tonight should i see tcm? i want to, but im not sure if i should see the original first?

BackFire349
the original is essential viewing if you are a horror fan.

The scare factor is like 2 for the remake.

h0ck3yh0rr0r
crap so its just shock scares. thats not scary. was their alot of gore?

BackFire349
a bit
more then the original, which is funny since they were advertising it as "a less gory and more psychological take on the 1974 classic". it was like the oposite

h0ck3yh0rr0r
lol damn i wanna watch it but i dont want to be dissapointed

BackFire349
Just don't go in expecting anything and you won't be disapointed.

DeNiro
i might see it tonighte ill tell u what i think from a comperrison view of the oiganil to the remake and also i am renting the old one no matter what tonighte

slayer
I'm downloading it from Kazaar.

h0ck3yh0rr0r
well i did something better than watching the new one...i rented the original one smile lol great movie.

and has anyone seen brain dead? that movie is soo messed up.

grymlock
well i better watch it for my self satisfaction...

cheers mate!!

DeNiro
i have been trying to rent it for the past 3 weeks and it has been out everytime everyone is watching it just becasue the remake just came out

J-Sin.VS.Fred-D
Okay, the remake totally ruins the character leatherface. when they show his real face he looks like a F*ing retard, which makes him less scary. In the movie, he is smart enough to dissect his victims and 'operate' on them without flaw, but is childish around his mom. Also, he is like Jason, he gets hurt many times and keeps coming back. I'd say the remake totally ruins the fame of Leatherface and the first movie.
Finally, Jessica Beil has big **** smile only good part big grin rolling on floor laughing laughing

DeNiro
was there ne nudity in the movie i hope big grin

BackFire349
No.

Bad Boy
I'm gonna give it a chance!

xblanex
IT WAS GOOD!

CreepO
BackFire349 great review !!!

The movie was awful ............. in one of the scene's where the girl stabs her guy friend above the piano ,a group of people started laughing shaking their head in disgust !

How can these movie writers really think that this is good story telling ?

Good thing my friend and I complained about the movie ,and got two free passes for something else ! yes

BackFire349
Well I'm glad you enjoyed my review CreepO smile

slayer
Is it really that bad?

DARKVIRUS
I guess it would be that bad for someone who loved the original so much. I mean c'mon did you really expect anything to top the ultimate cult classic.

One thing does'nt make sense here though BF...why would you go and watch it if you thought it was going to be soooo bad?. Whatever, you can justify it by saying you did'nt pay for it but, I think otherwise. You did'nt want someone to make you look like a jackass and say "if you thought it was gonna be so bad why did you pay to see it?". Look whatever, your entitled to your opinion but, I would have valued your opinion (because it's so STRONGLY against the remake) alot more if you would have DL'ed it , saw it on HBO, or at a friends house who rented/bought the dvd.

CreepO
Did you pay to see it ? whistle

xblanex
I think its good. And I am a fan of the original

BackFire349
First of all, I refuse to download movies online. I hate watching them in that little pixelated screen on my monitor, it's a pain. So, since I refuse to download, the only way i could see it is going to the theater and watching it on the big screen.

Yes, i thought it was going to be bad, but I couldn't be sure without seeing it. So, I had to see it in theaters. Luckily I didn't pay for it so what difference does it make whether i see it for free in a theater, or at a friends house. The logic you are using is flawed and quite senseless. If you are basing the value of my thoughts on the fact that i saw it in the theater then that is your problem, not mine.

Lord Soth
An excellent point. Kudos to you. Even though I don't necessarily agree, it is a valid and respectable opinion

DARKVIRUS
Ok let me take care of your biggest fan first.

creep-o ....I am a fan of the original and i know nothing could compare so to answer that ridiculous assumption you made...NO I have not seen the remake.

BF you dont get it do you. I am willing to bet my left nut that you payed to see that movie but you're to "proud" to admit you saw a movie you have been bashing even before you gave it a chance. You're a fan of the original what on god's green earth made you think a re-make, in the era of teen slasher's, would be better than the original...you knew this yet, you still went out to see the movie.

Since I know that it is not as good im not gonna go out, PAY FOR IT, and then come back and satisfy myself by posting about how bad it was in a forum....especially when I have already stated that it was going to suck.

Simply put througout the whole mess you wrote this is what it look's like to me:

"Well I said it was going to suck and instead of standing by my opinion and NOT going to see this movie b/c i knew it was going to be horrible...im gonna tell ppl I snuck into it and then bash the hell out it. Basically just listen to my rant because I love the original and nothing can compare to it. Blah..blah..blah"

I KNOW that it will not compare to the original so when it's out on dvd in about a month or on pay-per-view then I will watch it...maybe.

CreepO
Hummm so you haven't seen it, and yet you give us your pathetic opinion !

As for myself ...yes I could'nt stand the new TCM ....but alot of people did .
So before you open your big f==King mouth ,maybe you should see it then give us your opinion !!!

(Yeah look at me im DARKVIRUS Happy Dance and im a grown folk )

BackFire
"BF you dont get it do you. I am willing to bet my left nut that you payed to see that movie but you're to "proud" to admit you saw a movie you have been bashing even before you gave it a chance. You're a fan of the original what on god's green earth made you think a re-make, in the era of teen slasher's, would be better than the original...you knew this yet, you still went out to see the movie. "

laughing out loud sure buddy, I'm sure you'd know whether or not i payed for it since you were there with me. I don't care what you say, what credibility do you have in saying that I payed for it? I saw it for free, i payed for runaway jury. You can believe this or not, makes no difference to me or anyone with a brain.

SlipknoT
I'm a fan of the original too, but i didnt think it was that bad. Of course it will never be as good as the original, because the original was great but this movie was OK and nothing more than ok.

Lord Soth
Getting a little nasty, now aren't we?

CreepO
Nawwwww I just wanted to see DARKVIRUS dance Happy Dance

GO Virus ! Go Virus ! Go Virus !

Lord_Andres
you can just use a video out to your tv or vhs then you can watch the movie on the tvsmile

BackFire
Ok guys, enough of the nonsense,

DarkVicious - No flaming other members, this means calling creepo a jackass. any more of this and I will report you.

CreepO
Boo yah !!!

BackFire
CreepO, please don't provoke him. I don't want any more crap in this thread.

Tired Hiker
Originally posted by DARKVIRUS

BF you dont get it do you. I am willing to bet my left nut that you payed to see that movie but you're to "proud" to admit you saw a movie you have been bashing even before you gave it a chance. You're a fan of the original what on god's green earth made you think a re-make, in the era of teen slasher's, would be better than the original...you knew this yet, you still went out to see the movie.

Since I know that it is not as good im not gonna go out, PAY FOR IT, and then come back and satisfy myself by posting about how bad it was in a forum....especially when I have already stated that it was going to suck.

I think if BackFire actually liked the new version of TCM he would have told us. In fact he did give a few good points about the flick if you didn't notice.

DARKVIRUS
DARKVIRUS - No flaming other members, this means calling creepo a jackass.

Im sorry but in case you didnt read it let me quote something for you, ok now look back at my first post...ok now look at creepo's post and you will see this.

Follow me so far?

Hey mr. horror section mod how bout that quote I was only defending myself so do your job and go after the person who also called names.

Dont make me laugh, you have nothing on me. I was only defending myself against someone who decided to also name call and act tough. Review the thread and tell me, other than when I was defending myself, what did I do wrong?.

I have'nt seen the movie but I know it's not gonna be as good as the original but when i do watch it for free i'l tell you my opinion. Look all i said was that if you would have NOT seen it i would have respected that more because you were bashing it from the get go.

How bout you try reporting creep-o as well or maybe even yourself since you seem to have a problem pronouncing my name. Rules are rules and I HAVE read them....they are not YOUR rules so as a mod abide by them. wink

BackFire
Because he didn't bluntly call you a jackass, like you did with him. He was raising a point about a possible contradiction in your statements.

But if you didn't pay to see TCM, then you aren't a jackass, and if I read your prior posts correctly, you indeed didn't pay to see it. So thus, you are not a jack ass by his standards.

BackFire
But to be fair, I deleted the words 'jackass' from his statements.

Now i expect this to end now.

CreepO
Im sorry DARKVIRUS nothing personal , just forget it K !

I would like to hear a review from you Virus , hopefully you will see TMC soon ...........for free stick out tongue

Cowboyography
you know what really helped me to enjoy this movie was the Theater Experience!! if i could only watch the original in the Massive tinseltown theater in true surround sound, but alas i can not. Although i saw they were bringing back alien so there may be hope. My local theater does do a classic showing of awsome movies on friday and saturday nights at midnight, But i am yet to catch a scary movie (saw Die Hard 1, and Jones Trilogy recently).

Lord Soth
While I agree with BF that Creepo and DARKVIRUS's was getting out of hand, it was rather entertaining. http://www.killermovies.com/forums/images/moresmilies/pile.gif

ragesRemorse
I know this movie has countless threads, but i had to get my anger out

this movie did nothing original, it diddnt give the TCM one bit of creativity to the remake. It only took away every thing that was so good ,pure,raw and horrifying about the original. This movie has to be on the level as one of the worst horror movies ever. EXCLUDING the B horror movies.

There was no atmosphere in this movie, When the movie wasnt dragging onto the next scene. It was overwhelmed with repetitive ,slow paced action. IT was boring, so incredibly boring. The movie was anti-suspensfull. It diddnt have any build ups, and it diddnt have any style.

Also in the original you got the feeling that this family was blood thirsty, and they preyed on human beings. You got the feeling that they did this all the time, that they lived just to kill innocent people for the sheer enjoyment. This was one of the most frightening aspects of the movie. In this movie there was none of that. Infact it felt like the only threat was comming from leatherface. Before you had the entire family to fear. This time around it seemed the people were only killed because they disrespected the old man. The whole movie was rushed and ill thought of

BackFire
Like I said, please don't start a new thread about a topic that already has several devoted to it.

I'm gonna merge this with the other TCM threads.

SaTsuJiN
I saw this one today, and I have to say it wasnt bad at all (compared to what I was expecting). I liked the characters convincing pleas for life. The girl cast was pretty run of the mill. I did like the adrenaline coated fight scenes (which the guys turned out not to be able to handle as well as the girls). I'll call them the 'goodie squad'. I can identify with the feeling that the first TCM was believable due to the more plain atmosphere, but well, we know todays audience. They wouldnt sit through it with thier riddalin permeated attention span.

I give it 3.5 out of 5 simply because I believe it wasnt meant to replace the original, but more of a redo that would help this generation identify with what 'we' thought was so good about the first one. All without having to skip a dose of medication wink

only thing that got me was : how did she cut his arm off with a butcher knife, yet didnt have the balls to yank the chainsaw off him? lol (the world may never know)

bottom line : a good watch, but not worship worthy in the least smile

Tired Hiker
Saw the TCM remake last night, snuck into it after paying for Revo. Anyway, I must say I liked TCM Remake, compared to LOVING the original. There are many countless things I hated about the flick like the motivation for the kids being in that town - going to see Leonard Skynnard? That was a total cop out from the 'exhumed dead body from the cemetary plot' that the original had as well as the connection of the guy's uncle who lived in that town, anyway . . .

The remake made me cringe a few times, but never was I in shock or total awe like when I watch the original. I noticed the best most scary scenes in the remake were actually the only ripped off parts from the original which usually were camera shots like when the girl is running in the thick woods and they shoot from far away and zoom in so everything looks compressed and slightly shaky, making Leatherface look bigger and more ferocious.

I must say it was better than many other horror movies of late, but you have to see the Original if you've only seen the re-make. The re-make does no justice to the Legend and the Legend was far more shocking and genuinely scary.

swordmaster
I agree with BackFire, the new one was the mentally handicapped cousin of the original that noone really talks about and keeps in the attic all locked away so noone knows about it and hopes it just starves up there...i need friends lol

slayer
laughing out loud i haven't yet seen all the remake yet but it cums out on thursday here so i'll vatch it then.

Lord Soth
The only part that truly scared me was when the metal door first opened and Leatherface w/ the chainsaw, and Andy w/ the tire iron, and the leg being sliced off, and the motor running all the while; scary as hell

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.