Dues Ex Machina

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

spydar1982
If you look at Nickydirtrider's post about the WB statement (http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f42/t15263.html) you will see that the name of the "Speak" machine is Dues Ex Machina. I looked that up on a Shakepearian site and found this.

Dues Ex Machina

-Latin for "god from a machine"
-In ancient Greek and Roman plays, a deity brought in by stage machinery to intervene in the action
-Today it refers to any unconvincing character or event brought artificially into the plot of a story of drama to settle an involved situation
_______ Websters New World College Dictionary 3rd edition
Examples:

1) In 'Trifles' a play by Susan Glaspell, the women notice all the little things that don't seem important at the time but help to solve the mystery in the end.
_ These little quirks like the half clean table and the bread outside the bread box. When the bird is found it puts everything into place. The dead bird is the
_ 'dues ex machina of the story.

2) In 'Tender Offer' by Wendy Wasserstein, the dues ex machina are the leg warmers that Lisa is looking for. They symbolize the beginning of the talk with
___ Paul and then the end of the argument when they both realize that they need to spend more time together and talk through their problems.

3) In 'Romeo and Juliet' by Shakespeare, the lovers are stopped by their parents from being together. The dues ex machina would be the poison that Juliet takes.
__ It is introduced into the story as a solution that is not alluded to previously. It is also the major event in the ending of the story.

Not sure what it all exactly means. maybe we can build off of this.

http://whatisthematrix.warnerbros.com/rv_img/photo_rev_help_03.jpg

Sifer
I downloaded the production notes about 2 weeks ago - I didn't say anything cause you will get the usual:

LIES!!! I WON'T BELIEVE IT!!!

All that bullshit smile

spydar1982
Who would say such things? I mean I can name a few... But who cares what certain people with negative view points think. post away.

GABRIEL05
actually deus ex machina means work of the gods

clavis9495
No it depends on how you interpret-ate it... it als depends on the sentence it is in..

I do latin at school and I looked it up too so I think it's both

GABRIEL05
Ahhh I see your schwartz is as big as mine! I too took latin too but now the circle is complete. now I am the master

clavis9495
I am master!! I took it since I was 6 and still am doing deep backgrounds and stuff..

GABRIEL05
OK so you have some skill. I took it for three years in highschool and forgot everything.

clavis9495
I am 16 now so I've been doing it about ten years now!!! hehehhee another 2 years...

GABRIEL05
Yeah it's a fun language. I wish I could have had a better experience with it. I also wish I could continue studying it, but I guess I could do it on my own.

veni vici nates calce concidio

priestjim
In Greek it is spelled as "Apo mihanis theos" and it represents a person (in ancient drama a god) that intervened in a very difficult moment to help the whole play progress because without him the play would end there mostly with the good guys losing.

spydar1982
hmmm just like a certain movie maybe?

JediHDM
...THE MATRIX!!!! RULES!!!

spydar1982
I CANT WAIT FOR NOVEMBER 5TH!!!!!!! THE COOLEST THING IS WE WILL ALL BE WATCHNG IT AT THE SAME TIME! WE WILL ALL BE PLUGGED INTO THE MATRIX!!!

JediHDM
you mean FREED from the matrix...

spydar1982
hopefully!

Ushgarak
It is also a term used in role-playing when the Referee or Gamesmaster has to introduce coincidental events to save the players from otherwise imminent destruction (like if I had Neo suddenly turn up and save you all in my Matrix game)

spydar1982
like the game? (dues ex?)

audioheem
is there any online matrix roleplaying game?

Sifer
It's in development.

audioheem
lets make one... i have the webspace... we all have/will make the time... i just dont know how they work... lol

spydar1982
http://pc.ign.com/articles/360/360773p1.html

audioheem
no no, i meant a text based one.. ive seen some for just random fantasy... lol i couldnt make an online game like that :-p

JediHDM
you mean like the one in the Role Playing Forum...?

audioheem
I... damn. I've never gone further than this forum.

audioheem
Ah I saw it... looks cool but would require reading an awful lot. I'd prefer a live chat one.. if anyone knows of one?

Sifer
Well I aint a software engineer for nothing smile

audioheem
for a respectable software company? wink

clavis9495
hehehe laughing out loud

Korri
lol

priestjim
rolling on floor laughing laughing out loud eek!

(just love using emoticons)

spydar1982
you guys are weird....

spydar1982
ehh eff it Happy Dance

rysdigital
Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance

Fire
audio there are a few live rpg's online that I know of, mostly hosted by belgian IRL RPG groups but they require paid membership and ask for a regular attendance

Ushgarak
To answer the previous query, the computer game, 'Deus Ex', so used the half-quote because it dealt with emerging AIs, something "God from the Machine" has always had a connotation with, as is apparently being used again in this film.

badkittykitty
MHAhahahaha

forumcrew
do we know anythign else about the machine other then its name.. and the meaning of it.. how it relates to archie?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.