In Memory of Thomas Anderson

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

spydar1982
Check this out

http://spydarorg.hypermart.net/1.jpg

http://spydarorg.hypermart.net/2.jpg

Do you see what I see?

mindbugaling
COOKIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!> rock well well well, it looks like he dies in the last movie. OR they just put it in there for laughs

JediHDM
what is that pic from? Also, Thomas Anderson is dead to the world, so...In memory would make sense...

dave123
cool

burlyman
is that a real park or a set in the studio

audioheem
yknow I wouldn't be surprised if in Revolutions, Neo has to sit on that bench or something.. and it's just for us to pick up on

burlyman
maybe a bit of a forest gump scene?

priestjim
It could be the bench that Neo and Oracle sat and discussed. But then...in that bench the iron holders where wider so...bad luck sad

spydar1982
Its a different bench then the one on the burley brawl set. And yes it is in a park on the set. I agree with Jedi maybe its because he goes by Neo now. But I don't know we have known that since 1999, and we just now see it in 2003...

spydar1982
OO and just incase anyone was wondering thats a screen cap I took from the Reloaded extras disc. I took it from the "Preload" short.

forumcrew
ill be checking that one out tonight

EyeMakeMovies
hooray for the macintosh! smile good eye too....

spydar1982
You are a Mac user too?!?!?!!! Look Jedi there is another one. Now there is 2!!!

JediHDM
oh, wow, two in the WORLD!!! JJ...but seriously, i cant stand a MAC...i had to use one for my English project, cause it was a movie, and i wanted to throw the thing against the wall every five minutes...i had to save every two seconds, cause otherwise iMovie would make an error for some unexplainable reason and shut down. the one thing i liked, was that it kept record of everything, so if i forgot to save, it was still there, but it took me almost 24 hours to finish the project, and i'm talking STRAIGHT THROUGH...oh, well, i seem to have diverged, so...

magicrat
One thing to note is that there's grass in the scene. In the Matrix and Matrix Reloaded, you never see grass..... I'm 95% sure of this.

This could mean two things about the scene....

1. It's in the real world (which I doubt as he is only refered to as Neo in the real world)

or

2. An Upgraded Matrix. The machines may have never seen grass in their time, and may have not known about it's existence when creating the matrix.

Am I reaching here?

MagicRat

spydar1982
or it could be a bench outside of the studio. in memory of Thomas A. Anderson could just be something that signifies the end of the Matrix movies.

ITALIAN926
Since when does a name on a parkbench signify death? Its not a tombstone.

spydar1982
italian>>>read my post above yours... it could just sigfy the end of the movies.

JediHDM
But when was the last time someone used "On memory of..." when the person is not dead or soon to be...? Besides, Thomas A. Anderson IS dead. Neo is all that remains.

ITALIAN926
Can anyone actually see that on the bench ? Its a blurr to me.

I would say Neo would disagree. Im sure he still would say his proper name is Thomas Anderson, especially after living that life for 20 something years. Keep in mind that assuming he had friends and family members that he loved, theyre still plugged into the Matrix. Im sure he misses them, the Matrix isnt reality but the realtionships within it was real. Neo didnt seem to have much family and friends (loser!!! haha) in the Matrix but Im sure he had a few. Unplug these people and he'd still have the good ole Anderson family.... although thinking about it, its a 100% foster family.

JediHDM
Neo is Neo. Thomas A. Anderson Lived in the matrix, believed what the matrix told him. Neo didn't. His disbelief proved to be true, thus, Thomas A. Anderson is dead.

ITALIAN926
You see it any way you want, BUT Thomas A. Anderson has a nickname... thats Neo. You dont think that Neo has 20-30 years of memories and feelings for people? You unplug everyone that Neo knows in the Matrix, and he'd still be good ole Tommy to them. Youre interpreting this story as if Neo got amnesia and started all over again, I dont agree with that.

JediHDM
im not saying that, but rather going by what Neo has become, as well as what Smith said in M1

"you seem to be living TWO lives, Mr. Anderson..." plus, the avatar of Neo died TWICE in the matrix, once when he jacked out, the 2nd, when SMith shot him 15 times. SO, Thomas=dead, Neo=still alive

rysdigital
ITALIAN > do you have the DVD? i do, it definately says IN MEMORY OF. okay?

ITALIAN926
Yea, I do, I didnt know that was from the DVD. OKAY lol I asked a question for a reason.

dragonpisces272
wow, you both have quite an argument about his name. But truly, I go by the plot of the movie, that T. Anderson is dead, and Neo still living. If your talking of other terms, as in "universally" around the movie, then Neo would still have the name of T. Anderson, only counting as his nickname. But hey, thats just me smile

ITALIAN926
What Im trying to say is.. that if you unplugged Neo's family from the Matrix and they joined him in Zion, theyd still call him Thomas, and I dont think he'd have an issue with that. I certainly think his mother would be pissed if he said "please mom, call me Neo" afterall, she chose THOMAS !!!.. YA KNOW !!? lol

dragonpisces272
yeah, that'd be true, but no one who personally knows him in the matrix has been unplugged yet, I think...and so still going with the flow of the movie, I still believe that T. Anderson is dead. But simply in your case, if he knows people that are close to him ( lets say his family ), that have already BEEN unplugged, then thats the time you can say that Neo is still BELIEVED as thomas anderson. And if he really said, "please mom, call me Neo" , then I dont think his mom would mind calling him that, would she? But it really depends on his mom. Opinions are so great!! laughing out loud

blugirlami21
I don't think T. Anderson is dead because in the first Matrix when he went to see the Oracle when they passed a restaurant he said he used to eat there and then he said that he had more than twenty years of memories but their aren't real. I just think that Neo has moved on.

Korri
kewlness

JediHDM
if his family were unplugged, then they, too, would have "alias'", and would NOT MIND calling Neo Neo. They would know that they, too, died to the matrix...they would not be pulled out of the matrix but them thinking they are in, they have to want to come out, thus, they would accept, just as Neo did, the truth, that Thomas A. Anderson never, really, existed, he was always NEO...

priestjim
Good point Italian. I add: do we know anything about Neo's parents? Do the others know (Morph et co.)? We don't know. He can't have many friend, we is a computer geek!

droopy1592
I use a Mac and a PC, jedi.

DARKVIRUS
I think italian makes a good point. Outside of the matrix and his hacker name is "neo" but, Smith and anyone else who came across him in the matrix that he knew from before would still call him Mr. Anderson.

JediHDM
yes, that is true, however, Mr. Anderson is dead. Even Neo chooses not to go by that name anymore. "My name...is...NEO" and not ANYONE who knew him before, just the ones that he worked with...Choi would call him Neo. Point is, Thomas A. Anderson was a person created by the Matrix, a control, and Neo rid himself of this control. The doubt is gone, or almost gone, thus, "Thomas" is gone.

ITALIAN926
Well, Im afraid to say this ......

If you were unplugged today, would you stop calling yourself by your current first name?? I wouldnt, Id still have the same name. People forget that although the Matrix isnt real, the people inside are very real. Theyre just soaked in goop. stick out tongue So. how can you say Thomas is dead???, he's still the same person as before.

The real question is what gives a person uniqueness? What makes you alive? I believe memories play a GIGANTIC role as to WHO you are in the present. Think about this. If you lost your memory, you would in essense, be dead. Your mind would allow you to develop a brand new personality. This would be a sort of reincarnation, but this isnt what happened in Neo's case. Neo still had these memories from the Matrix and how he acts today is a direct result from that. He's Thomas Anderson forever, being called "Neo" has nothing to do with who he is.

I win Happy Dance

smile

JediHDM
Neo (former Thomas A. Anderson), while living in the Matrix, had two personalities. One was Thomas A. Anderson, conformist, drone, believer in the Matrix being Real. The other was Neo, non conformist, independant thinker, disbeliever in reality of Matrix. He was taught the truth, that the Matrix is not real, he left the identity of Thomas A. Anderson when he left the Matrix. It is him no longer. That identity, that personality, was created by the Matrix, and as such, it is NOT REAL.

Lets say, you have a character created in SW Galaxies. You grow up with it, you are it. When you turn 30, you are told that your life thus far has been a game, and you are freed from that game. You still go into that game, to tell others the truth, however, the character in the game, you know, is not real. when you are freed from the game, do you still go by the name of your character in Galaxies? OF COURSE NOT, that character isn't real. The same is true with Neo. Thomas A. Anderson was a character in a game, as such, he is as real as a character in Everquest or Galaxies.

Happy Dance
You lose. Better luck next time. wink

audioheem
Lol I don't know how this has gone on so long... yes the person who WAS Thomas still exists but Thomas, the person, does not!

Sifer
Are you now subscribing to a dose of the REAL world is in actual fact, the REAL WORLD? Seems like big grin

I use Sifer as an internet name ALL the time and have done for many many years, but that does NOT change my real name does it? Think about it Jedi, why would they purposefully show us the bench with the "In Memory..." on and have it in front of a giant tree in what seems to be a park like area?

UNLESS - dum di dum dum duuuuuuuuum - something happens, something that seems impossible but will happen anyway... big grin

audioheem
What?

Sifer
That the Zionites realise how wrong they really are...

JediHDM
Sifer> no, i'm not, nothing of the sort. also, go back and read my post, i dont think you understood what i said...How wrong they are about what, the fact that Zion isnt real?

audioheem
I think that regardless of whether Zion is real or not; Thomas Anderson is dead.

ITALIAN926
You cant win, I already won. I danced first Happy Dance

Jedi, Im sure you have a real name, if your friends & family call you "Jedi" this might explain things, but that'd make you a certifiable geek. lol

(Here we go again) if you awoke from THIS Matrix, would you really change your name? Would you be a different person? Would you be REBORN? no. Youll still have memories and feelings for the people you had relationships with within the Matrix. You cant have two personalities. If he did, he'd have no memories of being Thomas Anderson.

The only way youre right, is if Thomas, lived his entire life in the Matrix alone.... No family, no friends, EVER. This of course is another debate because theres no proof to back this up or not.

JediHDM
when you play an online game, do you remember what you did while playing? Of course you do. Was the game real? No. so why are you telling me that the Matrix is any different, just because its for 30 years rather than an hour (or five)...?

ITALIAN926
No, because Thomas/Neo was BORN in the Matrix... and the matrix isnt just a game. It was a life with real people. They arent just characters within a video game, theyre real... as is the memories with them. If youd unplug them and free those minds, he'd still have a history with them, and the relationships would still be the same in the "real world"
Neo doesnt have memories of life previous to the existance of the Matrix, he was born inside it..

JediHDM
its the same basic concept, whether the people inside it believe it is real or not, it is "a game, its just a game". Neo was born INSIDE of the matrix, yes, but the Matrix is not real, it SEEMS real, but it is not.

tshirt

priestjim
Hmmmm, interesting point. Maybe in the end of Revos we will see the earth freed, with people walking normally in the streets, machines allied with humans and the camera zooms in the bench. This would be a very cool and happy end! Very touching smile

audioheem
lol I'd hate to see that thought... machines and humans living amongst each other... there are so many places it would fail... coz we'd use loadsa space for buildings etc and they don't need them etc... and plus... CHEEEEEESY

spydar1982
Italian> I stopped readint these posts and catching up from last night, when you said to Jedi "I am sure your family doesn't call you 'Jedi'."

I know what he is trying to say. The name is dead not the person. The Matrix gave him his name Thomas A. Anderson. The Matrix is not a reality, therefore Thomas A. Anderson is not his real name. Neo, the name he gave himself, his hacker alias, is his real name because HE NAMED himself.

The reason Smtih calls Neo "Mr. Anderson" is because he is just trying to be a prick and smart ass.

priestjim
Or because he wants to tell Neo that he is no different from anyone else inside the Matrix.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.