What if

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lord_Andres
What if Frodo had gotten onboard a ship and left to Vallinor with the ring, then what would had happent?

Ushgarak
For a start, the journey to the coast was not makeable.

Secondly, the Valar would NOT accept the Ring.

Lord_Andres
but could they have crushed Sauron like a shit?

shadowy_blue
In the Silmarillion, the Valar have already defeated Melkor, the original "Dark Lord". Sauron was just his assistant. Melkor gives Sauron some of the extra powers given him by Iluvatar (the God of Middle-earth). That's why it's so hard for the other character in LOTR, like Gandalf, to oppose Sauron directly.

Now for your question if the Valar can crush Sauron.

Melkor's story ends in the Silmarillion when he is cast out of the universe by Iluvatar, who has had enough of his troublemaking. That's a clever trick for Iluvatar's part, but it raises a question. Why doesn't he do the same with Sauron?

The answer lies in Tolkien's ideas about good and evil. Melkor may be evil, but he was originally created by God, so he is a natural part of the universe. But the end of Melkor's story can't mean the end of evil on Earth. Good and evil are always present, Tolkien believed, and always will be. That's why Iluvatar lets Sauron have a place in the world. The battle of good and evil never ends.

So again for your question, Sauron could be crushed maybe NOT by the Valar themselves (since the Valar also had a hard time on defeating Melkor) but Iluvatar could have definitely crushed Sauron, but he didn't, due to the reasons above. wink

Lord_Andres
what if Gandalf would have taken the ring, what would have happent to him?

Smodden
he would shurly try to wield the ring for good, but through him it would make a terrible force uncontrollable bad, and evil, death and destruction, pain and suffering,cruelty, and intolerence!

Lord_Andres
what kinda power dose the ring give the one that ware it?

BingaBonga
wow, lots and lots of questions...

fini
hmmmmmm try the encylopedia of arda

Exa
The question is, what IS power?
Hm of course you get invisible and to the others you seem far mightier and taller but you dont get directly magical skills or something so you cant turn your neighbour into a toad or something

Lord_Andres
then what dose Sauron need the ring for?

Exa
He "put all of his power into it"
He needs it to rule the other Rings of Power (except the ones of the Elves) and so symbolically rule (parts of) the peoples of middle-earth

Lord_Andres
but what other rings whare there? he already had the onece that the humans had

Exa
There were Nine Rings of Men (which he had), Seven of the Dwarves (he had half of them the rest was destroyed by dragons that had stolen the treasures of the Dwarves) and Three of the Elves (he didnt work on them so he could rule them)

Corlindel
I think Frodo or Gandalf would be punished by the Valar. And I think there isn't any kind of question about the Valar's power, if they defeat Morgoth before, and Sauron is only a Maiar, as Gandalf too, with great power in Midlle-Earth only because the Valar left to the humans to solve their own problems. As the Valar left Beleriand shall be time to the elves left middle-earth to after Sauron's last defeat and then the chosen ones -humans will be by theirselves as we are now in the XXI century making all kind of mistakes and bringing tjhe world to ruin sad

Maybe it was good if Frodo had gone to Valinor...Maybe the Valar had come to Middle-Earth again only to check the situation and the elves had satyed there...Maybe we would be all elves living in Rivendell, Lothlorien, Nargothond, Gondolin, etc, by now...

Exa
Gondolin yes

Thats why I dont like the Valar (except for Melcor) so much... they never care about Middle-earth after the ruin of Beleriand (except for drowning an island)... and also in the First Age only Ulmo really did and supported the Elves...
Well and Melcor just cared about men big grin he tried to understand them and everything
Of course for an evil purpose but at least he did.

Corlindel
Well..I don't agree with you cause there is a time when we must know our responsabilities and grow by ourselves. And the Valar never left Middle-Earth. Tehy send the istari to help humans against evil and how we might see in ROTK they will defeat Sauron.

Don't ypu expect to see Jesus our Maome our Buda coming here to have a meal and solve our problems smile

Exa
Well a time... some thousand years... big grin
(I always wonder - wth are Valar or also Elves in Valinor doing the whole day???)

But it took them some thousand years to send the Istari big grin bit long even for Valar

No I dont expect them to but if they would come the best thing would be to delete the human kind from the earth cuz we're the only evil in here

Lord_Andres
there aint that much evil in humans

Corlindel
Well..I am not soooo evil... evil face

Exa
Yes there is
At least most of the evil on this earth as there is not so much evil

In Middleearth Melcor also came back with the help of the humans whose hearts he had explored for many years.

Corlindel
Even i must agree with you, I prefer to believe that you are wrong.

And Morgoth was defeat and Sauron was defeat too and maybe the evil on earth will be defeat.. stick out tongue

Exa
Sauron was defeated but Morgoth was not
He was just banned to the Void
But he came back with the help of Men who believed the lies he set into their hearts.

Corlindel
Bah!!!! .. Morgoth is too far from my earth..my God is Manwe and my Godness is Yavanna and I believe that good might win wink

Exa
Ok big grin
No Manwe is not my god I dont really like his character

Well Morgoth is defeated in the end but with him the earth is big grin big grin
Destroyed by Manwe's son (at least in one genealogy he is)

Izz
Good and evil exist because of eachother: evil can never be totally banned, but nor can good.

Exa
Good point
Hm good produces evil like light makes shadow

sauron
i read somewhere in 1 of the lotr sites that at the end, the utter end of all time morgoth and sauron return for a final battle, 2 end all battles. but they lose because good ALWAYS wins

just read it somewhere any1 know if its true

Exa

sauron
so exa, where do you get all this stuff from, i think its dead interesting

turin
boy, where are you getting that info from? i have never heard the dagor dagorath in that much detail. i though the second theme of the anuilindai was the rising of the trees and of elves, then after that a 3rd and wholy seperate theme appeared which was man.

Lord_Andres
did Morgoth come back after Saurons defeat?

Exa

Lord_Andres
well what happent? did he dystroy gondor and rohan?

sauron
is there anything about morgoth or any kind of evil in unfinished tales, i think hes interesting, and what did morgoth do when he returned

turin
exa, i had no idea what celeg aithorn was so i looked it up and i guess that at the end of the world when morgoth returns the valar are supposed to weild a weapon called, celeg aithorn. i found it in another forum and the person was talking about a poem in quenya, ambar-metta, or something like that?, that he translated and it talks about the restoration of the two trees. the dude said that it is in the history of middle earth volume 3 page 44. i am going to have to go home and look that up. it amazes me, i think i know my stuff in regards to tolkien, but there is so much info and everytime i learn something it opens up so much more i have no clue about, tolkien was a genius!

Exa
Ambar-metta is quenya for "doom of the world"
There is a poem called like that
and Celeg Aithorn only occurs in History III
But just mentioned in a spell.

I thought the song about the Two Trees wasnt known

turin
i didnt know anything about the return of the two trees till today. so i guess in my case the song about the two trees isnt known, lol.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.