A bad title choice?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

R.C
It seems that there has been a bit of a backlash on the title for Episode-II. Time for a rethink anyone?

With the massive amount of critisism in the press, from Ewan McGregor, internally at LFL (we are led to believe) and from the movie making world has George made a mistake.

Do we have ourselves another "Revenge of the Jedi"? But in this case the change being caused by Lucas totally mireading how people will react to thre title?

Don't get me wrong, the title has grown on me, but the worlds medi seem to be on a feeding frenzy, already pronouncing the movie as a dud based purely on this title announcement.

King Jedi
What do the press know? As I said in another post - the more George Lucas pisses them off the better. Star Wars has always rebbelled against everything. In the 70's the big films were The Godfather, Raging Bull, The Deer Hunter and other films of that style. Then a family space myth comes along and changes everything.

The press and film critics hate anything that they can't control. They can't control SW because no matter what they say Lucas will do his own thing. A lot of people are saying "the title isn't Star Wars". It is Star Wars!!!! Lucas knows the reaction it's going to get but he doesn't care, and why should he? It's his film and I really hope he keeps the title so the fan boys can go and watch something else.

As for Ewan McGregor - I'm losing more respect for him by the day. Last week he said Star Wars "lacks depth" and now he is slagging the title. Well go away and let someone else play Obi-Wan. Lucas won't be short of choices. The way he talks you would think that he is some acting god but most of his movies suck!! Only Trainspotting, Shallow Grave and TPM are worth watching.

Texas
Lucas REALLY needs to rethink this title. It's horrible! Lets be honest, all you people out there, you know the minute you heard what the title was going to be you didn't believe it. It's stupid, cheesy and tacky. But because it's George Lucas, everyone is in some kind of denial that the title is genius! Oh please, the title stinks, and you all know it! and Lucas is too fat and arrogant to change it! mad

Ushgarak
Hey hey HEY! Watch what you saw about Ewan, KJ! Film, TV amnd stage, he is one of the finest actors EVER, and I have seen just about everything he has done. SW may not be 100% his sort of thing but his commitment to the part will be total.

The press hate it because they can't control it? What sort of nonsense is this? Attacking everything that may possibly detract from Star Wars is not helpful, and bsiedes as much of the press supports it as attacks it.

'Can't control' indeed...

King Jedi
Why is that nonsense? The film critics HATE Star Wars!! Mainly because it's so popular. And they can't control anything that George Lucas does. Critics like to think that they are superior and that somehow what they say matters. And for studios it does. That's why the studios were paying film critics to give them good reveiws over the past few years. Critics matter for everything except SW because no matter what they say - Lucas will do his own thing, and the fans will still go and see it.

They blasted C3PO in the first film but it didn't matter. They blasted Yoda in ESB but it didn't matter. Any other film franchise would have ditched the cute characters at this point but SW added Ewoks and then the Gungans!!! Critics hate that. And I do know what I'm talking about because one of my lecturers used to be the film critic for the BFI Theatre which is one of the most prestigious Cinemas in the U.K. And he will freely admit that most critics hate SW because they have no influence over it.

SW doesn't conform to any guidlines put down by critics of what makes a film "good".

The only Ewan McGregor film I haven't seen is Moulin Rouge and I know he is a good actor. But slating a film that you've just finished making can't help it. If he doesn't like it then why is he doing it?

I don't hate anything that might detract from SW. After talking to you about LotR I went and downloaded the trailer and now I can't wait to go and see it. I can't wait to see POTA , JP3 or the next Terminator films either. And what's more helpfull? Me defending SW or Texas calling Lucas fat and arrogant because he dared to upset him?

Texas "Attack of the Clones" is no more cheesy than "The Matrix - Reloaded".

queeq
We'll live. I assure you. If the reconstructions of the script so far are close to truth, we'll get a better movie than TPM and that's worth a lot more to me.
Heck, we'll only use the abreviation from now on.

phinney6
Critics do hate SW, they gave it a d+

Ushgarak
Certainly I thought Tex's comments were... unhelpful...

But you are stuck in Star Wars victim syndrome. fact is that critics support SW as much as they hate it, just SW bashing is reported more. It gets five stars from most lisitngs I see it in, Empire liked it, heck, even the Daily Telegraph film guy gave TPM a good review!

Face it- Star Wars fans are far less martyred than they like to think they are.

I like critics mysel I think they perform a valuable job and ofen give incisive opinions. You can't always agree but I always repsect an intelligent critic.

And I have met critics who would greatly disagree with your lecturers interpretation. As far as I know, a critics' pet hate is people who dismiss their opinion out of hand, not those who disagree.

SW fits plenty of critics defintiions of 'good'. The first one won bloody best actor oscar!

I meant attacking thise who hate SW and ascribing their motives the way you have done is unhelpful. It is normally untrue.

Texas
I think Matrix-reloaded is a pretty kewl title! It beats calling it Matrix 2, that would make it boaring. But I am just counting my blessing that GL isn't naming Matrix2, because if he was, It would probally be 'Attack of the Armani Suit Wearing Agents'. Some one needs to give George Lucas a reality check, first he comes up with that annoying Jar Jar, then he hand picks JL, one of the worst child actors in Hollywood, and now he names EP2 Attack of the Clones, Jesus, GL must be on crack! roll eyes (sarcastic)

Ushgarak
Blimey, another Jake Lloyd hater...

queeq
Now, now. Temper, temper.

1. There's going to LESS JJ in Ep2
2. AOTC is cheesy in true SW fashion
3. JL is not going to be in Ep2
4. There another script writer
5. There's always Ian McDiarmid.

It's not all bad.

King Jedi
ANH never won any Oscars for acting.

jedi212guy
Amen, brother! cool

Ushgarak
Yes it did! Alec Guiness won it!

jedi212guy
Sorry, I was refering to queeq's but King Jedi beat me to the punch. mad

King Jedi
ANH never won any Oscars for acting.

Jake Lloyd won the part from 10,000 applications. But I'm sure Texas knows better. smile

Ush I'm not stuck in any syndrome. There are parts of all the SW movies that I don't like and will criticise them the same as anyone else. But what I really hate are all the people who will dismiss it just because it's SW and that includes most critics. I've never heard or seen any critic say that Star Wars is there favourite movie. Ask five strangers in the street to say theres and Star Wars will be mentioned at least once. But critics don't want to be seen going along with the majority of people.

Critics have absolutley no use whatsoever. I can make my own mind up on whats a good movie.

So what would you do if someone came on here and said that they hate LotR because it's old? Or because it deals with fantasy? Or because it is aimed at almost every age group? Would you not try and defend it because it's "unhelpfyll"?

Ushgarak
Ok, let;s get this sorted...

Sorry, I meant it won a NOMINATION. It also got hte best picutre nomination, which is praise enough.

Most critics do NOT hate Star Wars. That is a myth. It may not be many professional critic's favourites bt it is normally VERY highly rated., Queeq, you work in films, you know this, right?

I think that is a very poor view of critics. I think they perform a vital fucnctuon, and people just bet bitter about them.

Your comparison ewith LOTR is no good. There is a certain phenomenon around Star Wars that makes some fans think it is inviolable, and when it is criticised they alwauys try and ascribe motives other than 'the guy just doens't like it' to it. It;s the system,. a conpsiracy of the media elite, it;s Hollywood... all nonsense, yet I har it all the time.

LOTR has no such syndrome; it;s not even out yet for such a one to evolve and there is nothing even close when it comes to books.

King Jedi
I think you need to open your eyes. I don't want to get into an argument about critics because just like them, it's pointless. And I do have a very poor veiw of critics, and proud of it.

There is a VERY elitist veiw within the media. Anything thats popular is said to be "dumbing down".

Texas
FIGHT, FIGHT!!!!!!..........I am like the most ghetto person on this board embarrasment

Ushgarak
There it is again. A cliched and highly inaccurate view of the media, which has done so much to SUPPORT Star Wars over time.

jedi212guy
Why don't you two stop bragging about whose lightsaber is longer and just fight each other for goodness sakes!

Texas
I'm betting $5 on Ush!

phinney6
10 on ush

Ushgarak
Hey, we're just having a debate, we're not about to slit each other's throats...

Texas
I'm sorry Ush and King Jedi, please forgive me sad Phiney6, you should be ashamed of yourself, betting on a fight! stick out tongue

phinney6
Sorry guys sad

jedi212guy
Yeh, I shouldn't have started that either. stick out tongue stick out tongue stick out tongue

R.C
I wonder just what GL thought this morning when he read the reactions over breakfast?

Personally, when I heard it I hated it, and I mean I REALLY hated it. After about 10 minutes of thinking about it I mellowed a bit and 24 hours later I like it.

I think the reaction has been bad because a lot of people speculatd on "kewl" titles and stuff.

I think I'll pay my six quid and judge the film on it's content, not on its title.

Rather like reading a book rather than looking at the picture on the cover and not picking it up...

Texas
I'll do the same of course, but how embarassing, buying tickets for a movie titled Attack of the Clones embarrasment

Ushgarak
Knowing the Odeon the ticket will say-
Star Wars II: Attack.

queeq
Just like it said "Star Wars I: The"? laughing out loud

Well, it sure beats "the Darkness within".

King Jedi
Ush I work in the media so my views aren't cliched. There taken from my own experience.

Texas if it's so embarresing then don't go and see it. smile

Have you all seen the titles for episode3 that have been sent in to TFN? EP3 - The Chosen One Turns, EP3 - Lost Son, EP3 Destiny Unfulfilled - THESE ARE BAD TITLES!! And there sent in by the same people who hate Attack of the Clones.

When I hear "Attack of the Clones" it suggests horror, bloodshed, dispair, fighting, suffering. For a movies that's supposed to be a romance I think it's great.

I think people are so eager to hate it there forgetting what the clones actually do. They tear the Republic apart and wipe out the Jedi! And in this movie it starts. big grin

Mad Johnny Leat
To be honest, I've got over the Ranting and raving about it being a crap Title. I haven't changed my mind, I still don't like it...but it is just the title of a film that I'm dying to see......

King Jedi
And the title is really Star Wars Episode2. Attack of the clones is just a subtitle.

queeq
I wonder if that is so, KJ. I heard somewhere that they were going to drop the "Episode" line in poster art and stuff (not in the scroll of course). Haven't seen it confirmed though. But it IS Ep2, yes.

I still have my hopes up for "Fall of the Jedi" for Ep3. Simple, to the point, fitting SW and adding greatly to the title ROTJ.

King Jedi
laughing out loud We've started on Ep3 already? This leads to the dark side.

Ideas lead to hope, hope leads to expectations, expectations lead to dissapointment! I sense much expectation in you already

queeq
Indeed. But I've had my disappointment with TPM, thank you. laughing out loud

Ushgarak
I still don;t think it will re-use any words, ruling out 'Jedi'.

Just an opinion, though.

queeq
Oh please. Let me enjoy this bit at least for the next three years. big grin

jedi212guy
What about "Revenge of the Sith?" It nicely parallels ROTJ, I think. smokin'

Ushgarak
Not impossible...

jedi212guy
Who-hoo!! big grin

queeq
Sucking up to Boss Ush there, eh? laughing out loud

Maybe Rise of the Sith.

Or No More Hope. big grin

sand person no. 10
how about episode 3, jedi get their ass whooped.

queeq
That'll do, but there's the repetition of words as Ush address. But that is only a theory really.

King Jedi
Episode 3 : Goodbye to the Fanboys!
or
Episode 3 : I won't make it because of all the unfair flack I'm getting!!!!!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.