Ewan hates the new title

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

queeq
Via TF.N you can hear a funny sound clip of Ewan's and Nicole Kidman's response to the new title. It goes something like this:
Ewan: "Attack of the Clones? That's the title?!
(to Nicole) I just heard that the new title for Star Wars is Attack of the Clones.
Nicole: Noo!?
Ewan: Yes. I don't know, is that better than Phantom Menace?

See, hilarious stuff. Ewan has also been quoted saying he flet it was "a terrible, terrible title."

Just for your information. big grin

mah
well, I think it's fake stuff.

check this poster out

Ushgarak
And apparently Mark Hamil wasn't exactly overwhelmed, either.

yerssot
Was anyone impressed with the new title?

Ushgarak
No-one famous, as far as I know.

But several people here love it.

sand person no. 10
who cares what mark hamil thinks, its not his story

King Jedi
It's not our story either but we still talk about it. And I care what he thinks.

After hearing that clip of Ewan I don't mind what he said anymore. He was laughing and joking about the title but the way it was reported it sounded as if he was angry which he wasn't.

I've found that just as much people like the title as don't like it. And the ones who don't seem to have a lot else to complain about which makes me wonder why there getting so worked up about something if they don't enjoy it? Which is what it's meant to be about.

JediOasis
Yeah, I don't see why everyone is so worked up over the title. Its just a name, its still Star Wars and thats all that matters.

Dim
I think everyone will be fine with the title when they get some visuals so they can put it in context.. Everyone is making so much over this..

queeq
What?! We're all agreeing here???!!! Look, there's supposed to be debate here, so go on and kill each other off. evil face

Anyway, the only thing that worries me is that Ewan knows the script. If he thinks it's a bad title, it's either because it doesn't reflect the story or that he is being a sour puss again. I guess it's the latter. big grin

King Jedi
I think it's just his sense of humor. I think if I was in his position I'd try and play down the importance of these films as well. Can you imagine some of the letters he gets? He's already been challenged to a lightsabre fight in the street by some weirdos.

queeq
He has????? Poor Ewan.

King Jedi
He was doing a play after he made TPM and two fans were waiting for him outside. They gave him a lightsabre and challenged him to a fight. roll eyes (sarcastic)

queeq
I hope he has seen Raiders of the Lost Ark a lot and shot them.

King Jedi
laughing out loud

Well at least he knows how Darth Maul felt being confronted by TWO oponents.

queeq
Yes. Poor Maul.

Dim
pft..Hopefully Ewan doesn't one day share his segmented fate.

R.C
Ewan has a big mouth anyhow... He's always sparking off about one thing or another.

darthyogi
I saw some of the fan art for EpII and I have to say the title doesn't seem half as bad when in that context. The right font, the words Star Wars bookending it. Not so bad, actually. stick out tongue

queeq
I have a fan art poster on my desktop now. It works for me.

R.C
I am beginning to wonder why anyone had a problem with it.

Texas
Because it's CHEESY roll eyes (sarcastic) I don't care what they do visually to the title, it will always be unimpressive in my eyes.

R.C
I don't think anyone would disagree with that, but what is wrong with Cheesy, Star Wars as a whole is cheesy...

Texas
Star Wars as a whole is anything but cheesy. Look, I don't think less of 'Attack of the Clones' as a film, it's just not an appealing title in my opinion. According to many respectable news organizations polls, the general public sides with me. In many of these polls 60% or more disapprove of the new title. Your right, theres nothing wrong with being 'cheesy', but with a massive project such as Episode II, you don't expect cheesy......and in my opinion that's what we got.

DARTH LORAC
Have to agree with Tex on the title. It makes Episode 2 sound like a fifties B movie

On the otherhand I don't think Ewan should complain about the title of the film after all he is making alot of money from it. Prehaps thats why he is laughing

Texas
I think Ewan complaining about the title is a good sign. He knows that the movie will be soooo great, that he feels the title doesn't do the film justice smile

Dim
Tex, you know you're used to the title now..you're just being stubborn laughing out loud

Texas
Ture I'm used to the title, but I'll never give in to the cheesy side big grin

King Jedi
Nothing is more cheesy than the "Death Star".

And so what if it sound like a 50's movie? Without those movies there would be no Star Wars.

Ushgarak
One thing I will not contest is the size of Ewan's mouth...

BTW, Zereil and Edna hate the new title as well. And I have never seen a bigger SW fan than Zereil...

King Jedi
Well let him hate it in peace and let the ones who like it , like it. eek!

I was talking to someone today that I haven't see for a while and although he is a SW fan he knows nothing about the plot of Ep2. He loves the title! He said it's exciting and thinks the film is going to rock.

Then of course I spoiled parts of it for him. evil face

Ushgarak
I actually had the pleasure of telling Zereil myself; he;s been busy lately so I found out before him. His face was priceless...

When I texted Edna just after the title was annocuned to tell her she simply didn't believe me...

King Jedi
Well I'm happy. smile

jedi212guy
I have a friend who's a SW fan. He loves the title, but he knows nothing about the plot, nor does he want to.

queeq
Star Wars IS cheese, Tex. You hitched on the cheese ride years ago. laughing out loud

King Jedi
Have you heard what he has said now?

Star Wars films are no fun to make and he if you haven't seen one he would advise you not to bother.

He is being paid a small fortune to be in some of the biggest and most important films ever made and all he can do is whine about it.

Ewan McGregor is becoming a bit of a loser.

Cue Ushgarak to defend him.

KDawg
I always loved those fiftes B-Movies. Like King Jedi said without those movies we wouldn't even have Star Wars. Sure they may be cheesy but they are fun.

jedi212guy
Cheese is king. (By the way, this is numero 200.) Later!

Ushgarak
The man is entitled to his opinion, KJ. So long as his comittment to the movie is good- and it is- then that is fine by me.

Harrison Ford has said similar things over time, but everyone loves him.

Ratcat
Ewan is such a jerk, before TPM came out he was so pro Star Wars, now he just slags it off. It's a shame the Lucas can't just replace him.

Ushgarak
His Uncle actually told him not to do it. But it really doesn't matter! He can loathe SW with a passion if he wants- Christopher Lee is certainly rather lukewarm on it, and as for Alec Guiness... (in fact, you could argue that it is only right that the Obi-Wan actor dislikes Star Wars).

SO long as he plays the part well. Which he will. And that is all that is important.

Ratcat
Yes, that is true. Ironic that is both cases the actors will have so much fine work behind them but always be remembered for this role.

I thought his uncle advised him to do, becaused he'd had so much fun playing Wedge.

I really must dig out that interview from before TPM, I have it on tape somewhere.

Texas
Do you think that Lucas has said anything to Ewan about his sour remarks concerning SW. I know that if I were Lucas, I would be pissed. Not liking the film in one thing, telling the world how displeased you are is another. That is extreme disrespect to Lucas and everyone else involved in SW.mad

Dim
That's just how he is..It irritated me too but I think it says alot that he slams many of the movies that got him where he is today because their "cool" factor aren't to his liking. It sounds like he's a bit of an insecure person to me.

Ratcat
It is unfortunate that actors go through phases like this.

KDawg
It's just tragic that he can't appreciate his own work.

Ratcat
Yes, it is, I wonder how much of it is that though. I mean, if he thought it was that bad, why do it?

Dim
It's not bad..he just gets more attention of his whines about it.

Ratcat
That's true, I see he's been dubbed the unofficial leader of the "BritPack" now as well.

jedi212guy
We need a poll to see how many people like Ewan in SW and his attitude.mad

King Jedi
I can't believe people agree with me. I thought I was the only one getting fed up of his snide remarks.

Firstly Ush, whe Harrison Ford talks about SW he does it in a jokey manner. In interveiws he laughs when he remembers some of the lines he had to say like "nava-computer". But he also said that he has "the upmost respect for everyone involved in TPM" because he knows the hard work involved in making a SW movie.
The key word their is RESPECT. Something that Ewan McGregor doesn't have. By slating the movie and calling it "no fun" he is disrespecting everyone involved. How would you feel if you were Hayden Christiansen and you hear your co-star saying how bored he was on set? His attitude stinks.

Secondly, where did you get the idea that Christopher Lee is lukewarm on SW? He's not. He's already said that it's "another arrow in his quiver" and considering some of the great films he's made, that's a compliment!
He's also said how he loved ANH and and went to see it a second time with Peter Cushing and how they used to joke about "What's a grand moff?". If he was lukewarm on it he wouldn't have accepted the role.
At his time of life he doesn't exactly need to do work which he doesn't really want to do.

He's also said that he couldn't reveal spoilers because Lucas might not ask him back. Doesn't sound like someone who didn't enjoy himself.

Ewan McGregor has turned into a bit of a snob.

jedi212guy
I think he's already there, man.

Dim
I'd almost like to see him get knocken down a peg or two...laughing out loud

Ratcat
He shows gross hypocracy, look at him on the various Making of videos, he's all sweetnes and light, no sooner is he off of the set then he starts ripping into SW like nobodies business.

queeq
Oh let him. I think it's fun. big grin

King Jedi
I agree with RC. Ewan is a hypocrite.
I saw him on Barry Norman (film show) and he was a guest with Ridley Scott. He said a few bad things about the TPM script and they all had a good laugh. Ewans next film is with Ridley Scott. He changes his attitude depending on who he is talking to.

I hope he gets booed at the Premiere of AOTC.

Ushgarak
Quite frankly, you people are talking nonsense.

Ewan is a loud mouthed man, to be sure. But he is fully entitled to say his opinions on any peice of work he has made. He got paid to act, not like them film. In fact, a bit more honesty from major league actors about their work would be refreshing, rather than the over-polite closed shop system we normally have.

Ewan and Harrison have exactly the same attitude towards Star Wqars. Harrison has talked about it being a chore to make as well. They bnoth have the same sense of humur about it.

As for C. Lee's comments... good God, take a closer look at the man, will you? He IS amazingly polite, but it is so clear that he has little respect for Styar Wars it is untrue. He doesn;t are; he has done a thousand films he has no respect for, he is pretty easy going.

Next, Denis Lawson clearly told Ewan NOT to do Star Wars because he said it was a dreadful career move.

GL and Ewan clearly do not get on. But so loing as Ewan does his job, GL does not care. He can say what he likes about it in public. GL is a professional. He knows his job is not to make his actors like his films but to make good movies.

And to accuse him of seeking attention is incredibly simplistic. He is just loud-mouthed and opoinionated. Someone asks him a question, he gives the bloody answer! Wheteher it is polite or not. That is just the way he is.

Nextly, never, ever, EVER, assume an actor will not do a job because he does not like the film, no matter how old and rich they are. Acting isn;t just what these people do, it is what they ARE, and there is NEVER a point in your life where you don;t want more money. Lee was offered the job of being the major villian in a major film. What the hell does he care about whether he likes it or not?

Like I say, these people are professionals. Why yhey should be cennosred for thios is beyond me, and why Ewan should be heckled just for speaking his mind as he is entitled to do... the idea disgusts me. So he HAS to like it because he was in it? He HAS to stay quiet about it because he was in it? Total nonsense.

Let the man have his opinion, and disagree with it if you want, but if you are talking about snobbery is is the height of that to assume that Ewan has no right to slag the SW films.

And I say again- Alec Guiness hated them a LOT more. Yet he did all three because he was no idiot, and everyone loves the man. Give Ewan some slack.

Texas
Ummmm, No slack, still dont like him

Ushgarak
I'm not asking you to like him. I'm saying criticising him for DARING to not like Star Wars, just because he is in it, is a very bad thing.

Texas
Ewan's a prick, he's biting the hand that feeds him. He can hate it all he wants, and he can ***** and complain and show his disdain, but I dont and wont respect him for 'DARING to not like Star Wars'. It's just tacky on his part. In my opinion he must be doing something wrong; if most of us on the board are displeased at his actions.

Ushgarak
I am actually feeling pretty disgusted by a lot of this hatred. I am very, very sad to see it. It sound like the sort of intolerant opinion I did not expect from this place. The man is entitled to his opinion and being in the film does not change that.

In any case, Ewan does like Star Wars. All he doesn't like so far is TPM (which to be fair a LOT of fans didn't like, people like Queeq included) and the title of Ep. II (ditto).

Texas
I cant speak for the other board members, but I in no way feel any hatred towards Ewan. I just find his actions disrespectful and tacky. There are tons of actors out there that would kill to have Ewan's role, and he is just blatantly acting like a spoiled ungrateful prick. He is a very good actor, I'm not questioning that, but being disrespectful to SW in general is not going to go over well with the fans, and sour fan reaction towards Ewan shouldn't be shocking or unexpected, given the situation.

Ushgarak
I guess so. And he IS crass, and has a big mouth.

Personally, the only SW related thing about him that annoys me is that he said in interview that it was set in the future. Duh... However, in the same interview he talked about what he liked about Star Wars, which was quite a bit, actually. More recently he has said that he liked the Ep. ii script and that going on this film was much better than the last. He DID say it was no fun to make, but that's probbaly fair enough. He said the same about Trainspotting anyway.

sand person no. 10
i saw an interview with rubbie wax once where he said that making sw's was the most fun he had ever had in his life, there is a possibility of course that his comments were not supposed to be taken seriously, he is after all known as a bit of a joker and i don't think his comments should be taken seriously. all this fuss over a loud mouthed thespian. have we got nothing better to write about?

Ushgarak
Until the trailer comes out? I doubt it...

sand person no. 10
cant we talk about bungie jumping droids and yoda fighting with little lightsabres, oh the possibilities for debate, and witty comments.

Ushgarak
I;ve already screamed at a number of Yoda-fighting comments in other threads... not because of what was suggested, but simply because it reminds me that it looks like Yoda will fight and that strikes me as, potentially, the worst thing ever...

But, not to get too much off-topic...

Does anyone have C. Lee's reaction to the title? I guess it would remind him of old times...

Ratcat
Getting back on topic with Ewan, I have just been trawling through the old editorials at TF.N and found this one all about Mr. McGregor.

http://www.theforce.net/jedicouncil/editorials/110797.shtml

Have a read, it's amazing how spot on Scott was with this one.

queeq
Frankly, I hope Ewan keeps this up. I like it when he's like that, not totally sucked in by the butt-kissing comments all filmmakers display nowadays. For you guys who collect or watch DVD's and see all the Making Of-s, isn't it striking that EVERYONE who appears is so superpositive about the entire process? You have a large crew of people working very close for two-three months and everything is supposed to be SUPER FANTASTIC. Yeah right....

I suggest you rent or buy 12 Monkeys to see a very good Making Of. Terry Gilliam invited two filmmakers to follow the entire process, saying that "this time I'll have witnessess." laughing out loud

It shows what making a film is really about. There are frustrating moments, people make wrong decisions, people don't always get along. Yet it seems worth the while. It's a great Making Of, and Gilliam is also one of these people that loathe the "system" and political correctness. It's much cooler to watch such a doc, it's much more real, much more exciting. This "Making of" list high up on my lists, right next to Hearts of Darkness (making of Apocalypse Now).

So Ewan, keep it up, man. I love it!

King Jedi
First of all, the way Harrison Ford talks about Star Wars and the way Ewan does it are completley different. Harrison Ford can slate Lucas writing all he wants because he is a freind. He's not being disrespectful or insulting. He's joking and Lucas knows that is what he's like. Francis Ford Coppola and Stanley Kubrick have been quoted a few times joking about Lucas and Star Wars. That's fine.

Then you have Ewan. All sweetness and light when on set, talks about how much he enjoys making the films in the documentries. But the minute he is in someone elses company he slags it for all it's worth. Ush, telling a reporter not to bother going to see it isn't being honest. It's being hypocritical.

Really? I've heard nothing but praise from Lucas regarding Ewan McGregor and Ewan was NOT the first choice to play Obi-Wan. With actors cueing up, Lucas wouldn't have employed someone he didn't like or get on with. In fact Lucas liked Ewan so much that he bought him a motorbike after TPM wrapped as a thank you present for his good work. But Ewan continues to slate him behind his back.

Where did you hear that? Dennis Lawson only had a small role in the OT. It was hardly a career threatning role for him, so why would he advise someone not to do it? Plus, Lawson never had a three film deal with Lucasfilm but he went back and did ESB and ROTJ. And he did ask to visit the TPM set and meet Lucas with Ewan.

Chris Lee:

Are you serious? You say he is too polite to say he doesn't like Star Wars but somehow it's clear that he doesn't? Do you know the man? Tell us one thing that makes you think he's "lukewarm" on the subject. You'll see on his official site the enthusiasm he has for making this film.
And it's not politeness. You say he is laid back and doesn't care for the films he has made but that is rubbish. Like you said, the guy is a proffesional. He could easily retire like a lot of his peers but he doesn't because he loves working and the types of roles he is offered now. Including SW.

I think that incredibly insulting. You're basically saying that actors will do any film because they can't get enough money or they want to stay in the public eye. Maybe up and coming or jobbing actors would take a film they didn't like because of the money or the recognition, but someone the stature of Christopher Lee simply doesn't have to. In the U.K magazine he said he is turning down more work now than ever. That means he is choosing what he wants to do.

Ush you seem to think that Ewan McGregor is some kind of film rebel. Speaking his mind and causing a fuss. And he is.....sometimes. There's nothing I like more than seeing him slag Independance Day or Pearl Harbour or Hollywood and the studios.That's fine because he's not involved in that.
But as someone said "he is biting the hand that feeds him" by slating SW. Especially as the film hasn't been released yet. That is something Harrison Ford would NEVER do. In twenty years time if he looks back with embarrasment at some of the lines he had or some of the things he had to do then fine.
But don't drag a film and everyone involved in it down to get another step up the Hollywood ladder. It stinks.

Ushgarak
Ok, Ewan McGregor said in interview that Denis Lawson told him not to do the film because he would become too associated with it; that is indisputable.

C. Lee is one of those who complained at the commercial change Star Wars had made to films. Also, he WILL appear in any old film. He prides himself on being able to do these parts. Why the heck SHOULD he care? He can if he wants, or he doesn't want to... you find it insulting? He wouldn't.

And I see no difference between Ewan's attitude to Star Wars and people like Ford. None at all. And his attitude is far superior to Alec Guiness's, who never missed an opportunity to slagh Star Wars and everything it stood for, yet Ewan, who LIKES Star Wars, get slated. What a crappy deal.

You hadn't noticed that Ewan and GL don;t get on? HUH??! It;s been on a thosuand cast and set rumours and Ewan often comments about how difficult GL is to work with (which caused them to ask the same question (was he difficult?) to C. Lee, who said he wasn't, of course, in the most polite and completely non-descript way like most actors do when asked with that question).

Even if he had somehow known that he wasn't going to like him, Lycas WOULD have cast someone he didn't like if he thought he was good for the part. That is by far the primary consideration. He thought Ewan was best for the role and that was the end of it.

KJ, you really, really need to get to know people like C. Lee better. Lukewarm is a perfct descriptiuon for what he thinks of Star Wars. It;s a fair project at a fair price, and Star Wars is a good notch in anyone's hat, but it is not exactly his thing. Aside from the new title, of course.

Another thing, you se to suggest that veteran actors are always picky about their films. That is total and utter rubbish. People like Robert Mitchum and Richard Brton did endless interviews saying how much the whole deal was a piece of crap and they continued to star in films they hated simpyl becxause they needed to- and it;s not just the money, Remember, being an actor isn't just what you do, it is whhat you ARE. Alec Guniess never needed to do another film again yet he did another two SW films even though he hated it. He was even enthusiastic about it. See? THAT is professionalism. He did the part perfectly even though he hated it. Professionalism is NOT staying quiet about a film you dislike; being gagged simply because you are in it.

Biting the hand that feeds you? He was paid to ACT in the film, not be nice about it. He did that. Then he has the right to free speech. The way you would prefer him to be, continually nice about it, is nearly censorship and I deplore it.

Glad you like Ewan as well, Queeg. We need more people like him.

queeq
Heck, I don't care if they have problems with it afterwards. Why would you guys. I think Ewan's a great actor and he's not afraid to speak his mind. Yet, he comes back to the set, does his work well and goes home. So what?
Guinness even somewhat liked the story when he first read it, that's why he joined. He didn't like working for it, he certainly didn't like the attention for him just because of SW while he did much better and more memorable things, yet he came back, did his thing and did it well. Same with Ewan.

So what, they don't always have to agree. As long as they do their job. I remember that with ANH a lot of lines were actually dropped during shooting because Ford thought it was total nonsense. the "nava-computer" line stayed there, but I really loved Ford's comment: "You can write this shit, George, but you certainly can't say it." LOL
I doubt many lines change these days, so Ewan needs to let off steam somehow. I say: let him!

King Jedi
I do like Ewan. Just not his attitude.

And Ush you are wrong about a lot of things here.

I don't have a clue what the C.Lee thing is about. I think we have our wires crossed because I don't know what you are getting at.

NO actor will do "any old film". To suggest that IS insulting. Chris Lee gets enough good offers just now that he can pick his films. You're suggesting that he just does whatever is offered. Wrong. He's already said that he immeadiatley said yes to SW because of the chance to play this kind of part in a film as big as this, because of the chance to work with Natalie and Sam Jackson and because he's going to become a part of this film series. There was an exact quote where he said this and I'll try and find it.

Eh? Because he's a professional actor! Surley you're not saying that he doesn't take pride in his work? Why would he want to be in a film that he doesn't like? Why do a film that he's going to hate making? The simple answer is - he wouldn't. He MUST care what work he does, the same as anyone else, actor or not.

Well the next time he's at your house, give me a call. You still didn't tell me how you know he doesn't care about doing this film.

So Chris Lee was asked "How did you find working with Lucas?". He replied "He's very appreciative of an actors work and helps you a lot. He's a real technical wizard and has a mastery of the technical side of these movies that puts everyone at ease. It could have been daunting but I like the atmosphere he creates on set". That is a quote I got from Alderanet. I'll try and find the exact quote from him.
Somehow you read that and thought. "This guy doesn't like working with Lucas and doesn't care about this movie". You are the only one.

This isn't about Chris Lee anyway. It's about Ewan. Bringing other actors into it to make Ewans comments sound better doesn't work.
Yes, Alec Guiness slated the films. But not while he was making them. Not while George Lucas was paying him and not a few weeks after filming.

If Ewan and Harrison Fords attitudes are so similar then why does nobody get upset when Harrison says something. I like seeing him talk about SW even if it's with a hint of emaressment. They are very, very different.

I know this. It's common knowledge. Lucas himself said that he knows what he wants. He just doesn't know how to tell the actors. But that's no reason to go around telling reporters not to see the film.

As for their relationship I've never heard any rumours that the didn't get on. But if you want to beleive that then fine.
I'll stick with the facts which are - Lucas praising him every opportunity he gets. Lucas buying him a motorbike. Lucas and McCallum re-aranging EP2 pick ups so that they could give Ewan some time off.

I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying that ALL actors care about the films they make. Harrison Ford(him again) turned down the next Jack Ryan film because he didn't like the script. That is a character that he has developed over three films and had huge success with. But he still turned it down. If Chris Lee didn't like SW or LotR then he wouldn't do it.

This is where we are getting our wires crossed. I'm not saying Ewan doesn't like SW. He does. How many times have you heard the stories about him makiing sabre noises on set, or how he loved getting to pick out his own lightsabre. Or how he and Liam Neeson were acting like schoolboys in the first scene when they kept thinking "This is Star Wars!". He does like the movies and despite what he says he does enjoy making them. My favourite quote from him was "It was a blast!" when talking about TPM. It was his agents who persuaded McCallum to meet him after McCallum said he wasn't right for Obi-Wan because of a "class thing". That's how much he wanted to do this.

But what really gets to me is how he changes his mind depending on who he is talking to. He's basically stabbing people in the back to get further up the Hollywood ladder and THAT is deplorable. Especially as he was so anti-Hollywood. I go back to the time I saw him on Barry Norman and he was laughing and joking with Ridley Scott.
Ewans attitude was "Star Wars ha, I'm better than that." And it does stink. Especially as I don't even think he means it.

It's two faced and every time he does it I lose more respect for him. Slating Pearl Harbour and Independance Day is one thing (I've already said I love that, so I don't like you're censorship argument) but slating something you're involved with is another.

I don't know if you've ever been involved in making a film but it's a team effort. When a member of that team starts saying he had a terrible time and didn't enjoy himself it's a slur against the whole team. And when he tells the press not to bother seeing it, it is stabbing people in the back which ever way you look at it.

jedi212guy
I think you guys need a cool-down period, ok? stick out tongue

queeq
Heck no. This tread is getting more and more interesting.

And Ford starred in only TWO Jack Ryan films. stick out tongue

sand person no. 10
excuse my ignorance whose Jack Ryan?

Dim
He's the main character in a bunch of John Grisham novels.

queeq
He was the main character in The Hunt for red october (played by Alec Baldwin), Patriot Games and Clear and Present Danger (both played by Ford). And it's not by Grisham, but written by Tom Clancy I think.

Ratcat
Yep, he certainly was. Clancy has written a whole load of other Jack Ryan adventures, they are quite gripping novels, so I hear.

King Jedi
Is Ben Afflek going to play the character next?

Texas
Unfortunately, Yes. roll eyes (sarcastic)

King Jedi
laughing out loud You don't think it's a good choice either then.

Texas
Does anyone? Let's see, we go from Harrison Ford to Ben Afleck. Enough said big grin

King Jedi
Affleck might not be able to anyway because he has a drink problem.

Texas
Ahh Booze, the solution to any and every problem big grin

Ushgarak
PLEASE tell me it's not Executive Orders they are making a film of; that one took the piss, even for a Jack Ryan novel.

King Jedi
I think it's called "Rainbow" something.

Texas
It's Sum of All Fears, heres a link to all the info: http://www.upcomingmovies.com/sumofallfears.html

King Jedi
Where did I get Rainbow from? Is that one of his books?

Texas
Rainbow 6 is a kewl video game that is based on the books.

queeq
From Alec Baldwin to Harrison Ford to Ben Affleck..... hmmmm, Ryan changes age very rapidly...

King Jedi
Ahh..........just like a clone.

Tex it was the game I was thinking of.

queeq
Poor Jack Ryan...

Vaader
Doesnt it?
I mean, Im sure the film will kick ass but surely calling Ep 2 "The Clone Wars" would have been better?

Ushgarak
(Check... 500th time that joke has been used...)

It would sound better to me as well, but as the film would be called Star Wars: The CLone Wars, the repeat of the word 'Wars' would be clumsy.

jedi212guy
I agree, Ush. Plus, according to the scripts, the Clone Wars doesn't even START till the very end of the film.

yerssot
So actually the name Attack Of the Clones doesn't match the story then?

sand person no. 10
do the clones not attack at the end of the film?

jedi212guy
They do, but it is only the very beginning of the Clone Wars.

yerssot
Will EpIII still have the Clone Wars?

King Jedi
Yes.

yerssot
How do you know about that, KJ, or must I say GL? big grin big grin

King Jedi
Because it's obvious. Everything in TPM and AOTC is leading up to the Clone Wars which will rip the Galaxy apart.

Rick McCallum has said we will see Anakin and Obi-Wan become heros in the Clone Wars.
Lucas has said it will be shown.
Sam Jackson said that the Jedi don't die until the Clone Wars in Ep3.
And one of the designers was talking about a kind of "nuclear winter" that happens because of the Clone Wars in EP3.

yerssot
That gave it away, I guess

King Jedi
Pretty much. rolling on floor laughing

THRASHER527
THAT IS REALLY DUMB YOU THING WITH SOMEONE AS ORIGANIAL AS GOERGE LUCAS HE COULD COME UP WITH SOMETHING BETTER THAN THAT

King Jedi
What would you call it?

yerssot
Perhaps this is just a method to get the media on it

Ushgarak
Now, as the man himself, RC, reports over at swmovies.net, Ewan's latest comments about the new title are considerably less critical.

Ewan is not, of course, the sort of man who would let pressure make him change his mind. So perhaps he has had time to think or, like it seems to be for most people (but NOT Zereil or Edna, it seems), time makes the whole deal look much better.

Now, aside from calling Star Wars work 'dull' (JUST as Denis Lawson warned him), it seems that Ewan has little bad to say about Star Wars right now, although Moulin Rouge is more his sort of acting experience.

Ratcat
Thanks Ush.

Hehehe, I is DA Man!!!

Yeah, Ewan seems to have chilled a bit, but is still not Lovin it, lovin' it, lovin' it...

Here's the story.

http://www.swmovies.net/episode-ii/news/200109/index.htm#010906r1

Dim
In one of the current interviews it sounds like he's had a kind of a bad year based on what he said..

King Jedi
He's been in Australia for over a year working, so maybe that's what he was complaining about.

But then he went to South America and Canada to make two documentries and made Black Hawk Down. It doesn't sound like someone who was desperate to go home.

Dim
Well, from what he said in the interview he started to not enjoy it too much.

Ratcat
He misses his family, plus I think him and his wife are expecting a child next month (their second I believe though I'm not 100% on that)

King Jedi
That's right. But if I was that homesick then I wouldn't be going to South America to make documentries in the Jungle or Canada to make ones about Polar Bears.

yerssot
SO????
You have a bad day-month-year whatever, aren't you big enough to NOT give critism because you have bad luck???

Dim
Well, a healthy dose of critism is one thing..but Ewans tends to just downright slam everything.

Ushgarak
That's not actually true though, is it? No more than a lot of people, at least.

yerssot
He is a well-payed actor, so I would say: SHOW SOME PROFESIONALISM

Ushgarak
What the HECK is this accusation of un-professioanlism? That is NONSENSE! Professionalism is gdoing the job you are paid to do well (whether you enjoy it or not). This Ewan does admirably.. It is NOT havign to shut up about things so you don't upset people; that is his non-professional life, not his professional one.

yerssot
I meant that you can be more professionalism about a movie you finished and is now in the past.
Be mature, the title isn't going to change when mister McGreggor is going to complain

King Jedi
Being proffesional for an actor means helping the film as much as you can. Slamming it to get on in Hollywood isn't being proffesional.

I was reading an old SW magazine the other day and there was an interview with Ewan whilst on the TPM set and he was saying things like "I really like George. I love working with him because he just lets you get on with it".

Lucas and SW hasn't changed. Ewan has. He's turned into a snob and the quicker he gets back to normal, the better.

A few weeks ago their was an interview with him I saw on T'Bone and he was slamming people for being too critical and cynical. He was saying that a lot of people just slate everything for the sake of it. Now he is doing it.

Ushgarak
That is NOT professionalism, KJ. Not for an actor. The same way a writer does not have to care about his work to be professional; the point is whether he does work work whether he cares about it or not;' THAT is prfoessional.

Ewan didn;t slam it to get on Hollywood, that's nonsense. He just speanks his mind regardless, whether to his mother or an interviewer. He is just loud mouthed full stop, not for the sake of publicity.

queeq
I see these arguments haven't changed. laughing out loud

But.... it IS on topic. big grin

King Jedi
Ush it IS proffesionalism. I fail to see how you can argue any differently. Slating a film and telling people not to bother going to see it is crass. AND un-proffesional.

If you don't care for you're work then don't talk about it. If Ewan really hated working on Star Wars then he should just be polite and not talk about it. That's what most people would do. But he has started to bring it down and it's only for one reason.

Ushgarak
His personal opinion on his work has absolutely nothing to do woith his professionalism. He can slate it all he likes. Professionalism is just how well he does his job- which he does bloody great.

LaurenE147
I think that Ewan is a great actor. But his behavior towards SW disappoints me greatly. It definitely makes me think less of him as a person. But then I don't have to like him as a person. I wish he wouldn't, as some have said, "bite the hand that feeds him", but if he wants to make an idiot of himself that's his business.

Dim
I don't agree with you Ush. Part of his job is standing by his films and promotion..that's why actors are always on these press junkets right. He know' that's part of his job.

I know what you mean Lauren..

King Jedi
Thank you, ladies! smile

When an actor walks of a film set his work isn't done. He still has a job to promote the film.

queeq
Yes, but you know that all they are ALLOWED to say usually is how wonderful the film is and how great it was to work with all the crew, as if everything is always fine and dandy. That is of course nonsense. Anyone who has ever worked on any audio-visual medium knows how frustrating things can be.
It looks like Ewan has decided to speak his mind, GL doesn't seem to mind, so what's the problem. I kinda like this rebel-like approach: do a good job and speak your mind. Go Ewan! big grin

King Jedi
Rebel? laughing out loud laughing out loud
Who exactly is he rebeling against? Lucas? He is the biggest rebel of them all. Look at how many people he's upset by using digital cameras.
If Ewan was attacking a studio then fine. But he's attacking his friends and colleagues. That's not rebelion.

And another thing, he ISN'T speaking his mind because he changes his opinion depending on who he is talking to. Look at the "making of videos". He says good things about the film but then tells Hollywood journalists not to go and see it. It's two- faced. Even last week he was going on about how AOTC looks "really cool" and he was defending TPM saying how much he enjoyed it.

yerssot
Where there is money, there is Ewan

queeq
So what? Ewan's cool with me.

And I didn't say rebel, I said rebel-LIKE. Like doing the unestablished thing which is saying everything was sooooooooooooo wonderful.

King Jedi
He's cool with me as well. I just wish he'd stop being two faced when it comes to Star Wars.

yerssot
And being professional?

darthyogi
Maybe Ewan's decided the one thing that harmed TPM critically was the high expectation. By going around telling people AOTC is not worth seeing he's lowering that expectation and ensuring when people see it they're totally blown away. laughing out loud

Personally, I don't see this as that different to Alec Guiness saying in interviews that he had absolutely no idea what was going on during the filming of ANH, that he thought it was all nonsense that he was suprised that the film was as successful as it was! embarrasment

King Jedi
It's different because Alec Giuness didn't say those things before the film had been released. If you read interviews from the time then he had nothing but good things to say about ANH.

It was only much later when he got far too much attention from fans that he grew to hate the films.

And he didn't complain while making ESB and ROTJ either but you can be sure that he already regretted making the films by then. He just got on with it quitley. Like a proffesional.

If Ewan is trying to lower expectations then he better try harder. rolling on floor laughing

yerssot
Alec didn't shoved down the movie, he was surprised.

queeq
And Sir Guinness was a gentleman, Ewan's not. wink

yerssot
And I would say more; Alec is a sir!

Ushgarak
I'm sorry, Alec said far fouller things about SW than Ewan ever will and the timing of what he said is utterly irrelevant.

Who came up with the silly idea that it is part of an actor's job to promote hios film? What a load of crap! That is terrible authoritarianism. It's his job to MAKE it, and do his best to make it, and his responsbilities end there.

Alec Guiness is a professional because he hated the films but did them anyway, and did them well. When he started slating them he was no less a professional.

queeq
Sometimes it's in their contract that they have to promote the film. I don't know how this is.

Ewan also hated A Life Less ordinary, didn't he? I remember him complaining about Cameron Diaz and the movie itself. And he also thinks Danny Boyle is the best director he ever worked for.

Ushgarak
Well, if you sign a contract, you sign a contract.

Yeah, he loves old Danny Boy...

queeq
Can't say I blame him, although... I did not see The Beach. Should I?

King Jedi
Ush I find it amazing that you can say something like that. Especially when you're a mod. Keep bashing peoples opinions because they DARE to disagree with your and people won't stick around for long.

Alec Guiness never complained about making ESB and ROTJ. He just got on with it. Ewan should do the same.

Every actor has a job to promote the film. 99% of the time it's in the contract. They all hate it but it has to be done.

Queeq The Beach is nothing special.

queeq
Ush can be pretty persistent but he does allow people to disagree with him. I disagree with him on several counts (not on this one though stick out tongue ) and we get along fine. Just be ready for debate, for he WILL debate you. big grin

King Jedi
Debate or say that my replies are crap as he did with me and Dim?

yerssot
Union fait la force big grin

He plays in TPM AND AOTC and maybe in EpIII, so if he has comments, let them, because you play in the movie and the others, you made BIG money with it, the thing as a replacement you could spare your comments. And if it's in the contract, you have to do that.

KJ, chill out! Everyone has an opinion. I had already many arguments but no-one said it was bull***. Everyone is right, but some are more right than others.
Scaring away others? no way!

queeq
Ush is just quite convinced he is right. And he gets a little steamed up when contradicted. But he doesn't bite. big grin

yerssot
Let's concentrate on the TITLE, not eachother.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>