Media and Politics --- Discussion Topic! (as goes with all the others here!)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Asami
Do you think there's a problem with the relationship between the Media and Politics?

The Media brings Political Parties/Politicians up, but they can also kick them down just like that. When does the relationship become problematic? Should the media really interfere with Politician's personal lives? However, would your perception of the Politician change if you knew what they were like personally?

For example, Bill Clinton getting sucked off by Monica Lewinski. He was actually a better president than W. Bush jnr in my opinion! But because of that incident; it being hyped up by the media and all; have perceptions on him changed?

How far should the media go in exposing the life of a Politician? When they cock something up to do with the nation? When IAN DUCAN SMITH is paying his wife for a job she didn't do? (That's tax payer's money people!) When they smoke dope?!

And finally, is there such thing as media ethics?

Tex
Yes, FOX News is the most conservative, Republican, right winged skewed news organization in history! I absolutely hate them! The BBC is the best! thumb up Too bad I have to stay up till 1:00am to watch sad

Fire
hmm
I think in belgium it's pretty decent
dunno about the rest of the world I've seen some great BBC shows about politics tho

yerssot
DiRupo....

Fire
yea so...

yerssot
then it's not decent if they do something like that

Fire
that's nothing compared to what happens in foreign countries

mechmoggy
Newsnight on the BBC is most informing, even a yob like me enjoys that show (sometimes).

Fire
lol, that's saying a lot mechy

mechmoggy
I know! big grin

Fire
lol big grin

Asami
So do you guys think Ethics exists in the media? This topic came up in my class today no-one managed to say that it did.
What do you guys here reckon?

Fire
depends on what you call media and where you go to check it
I still think the Belgian newspapers (some of them) have ethics, but journalism has always walked a thin line between letting the people know the truth and being ethical

mechmoggy
Of course there is, the problem is that not everyone within the media has ethics. But that can be said about any industry, there's good and bad everywhere in life.

julibug
Don't buy the "fair and balanced" slogan, eh?

h0ck3yh0rr0r
Pretty good topic.

Tex
Fox News reffers to Bush as "Our God choosen heroic President" sick

Asami
oh come on! Give your views too please!

I'm not familiar with Fox news, Sky nes, yes! (Blah, another owned by Murdoch) can someone elaborate on Fox and those others mentioned?

Tired Hiker
I work for an NBC affiliate in California and I've taken media ethics in college so I have many thoughts on this subject. I've come to think we are better off with the media than without the media and it depends on the media we are talking about. One big misconception that a lot of people have are that shows like Rush Limbagh's or Bill O'Rielley's are news shows. That stuff is not news. Those are talk shows with conservative bias. The station I work for has to be as unbiased as possible or we'll get busted. Who busts us? The viewers who call and complain that we were taking a side. We don't want that so we choose topics and stories that pertain the most to the local public's interest and report as many sides to the issues as we can. The news reports things and unfortunatley the news reports dirt and rumors, but there is always a source where that stuff comes from and the news doesn't make it up, at least here at KSBW 8 in Salinas!

Tired Hiker
If we had no media, we wouldn't even know what the politicians were doing. That would be scary.

julibug
I don't remember hearing that one! laughing out loud

julibug
Exactly. They are "commentators" - not actual news reporters. So, that's how I take them. Simply opinions on the news. I was a journalism major in college, too.

finti
The given the chance the media nails every political party in Norway, so the confusion is complete. End result is that no one is worthy voting for

Fire
Media and Politics well I think Italy is the best example with that semi-mafiosi Berlusconi (sp)

finti
well Belgium have had their share of corruption too

yerssot
have had?
it still is going on

Fire
True Finti but in belgium we don't have a prime minister who controles almost all the media

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.