80s

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

VampirePrincess
Do you like the 80s? Or do you hate the 80s?

I love the music scene... It brought two of my favorite music genres (started by punk of course) which are goth and new wave. I love The Cure, Christian Death, Sioxios and the Banshes (hope I spelled it right), Bauhaus, Depeche Mode, The Clash and so on. All great music.

Anyone a fan?

Thing_1
Some of the music was great and some of it sucked but most of it was good....I mean is good.

h0ck3yh0rr0r
i like some rap from 80's.

VampirePrincess
I like the hair metal glam bands. They kicked ass... I love Bon Jovi and Motely Crue and Warrent and it goes on.

Awww some rap was good because that was the start of rap in the mainstream. I liked Run DMC. I always thought they were awsome. Today rap is just so sexual and violent I can't listen to it much. Though some artist did create some meaning into the music. I remember being a fan of Bone Thugs 'n Harmony.

Yeah I was a rap/ hip hop fan one time in my life.

h0ck3yh0rr0r
Bone Thugs are still a great rap group.

RIO
i love everything about the 80s. the clothes, the music, the movies, the games... i obviously grew up in that decade. it was the best.

julibug
I love the 80's. All my teen years were in the 80's. Most 80's music brings back incredible memories - some good, and of course, some bad. I like much of the music from that era. Probably the music I like the least is stuff like Whitney Houston, the "feel-good" female pop stuff like that. I might still like a little of that, but the stuff that comes to mind right away from the 80's that I like is Journey, U2, Men at Work, Phil Collins/Genesis, David Bowie, Dire Straights, Duran Duran, Van Halen, Billy Idol, Billy Joel, Mike & The Mechanics, Steve Miller Band, Simple Minds, The Police/Sting, Talking Heads, Survivor, ZZ Top, Dexy's Midnight Runners (remember "Come On Eileen"?), and I could go on and on and on...

Killer
80's IS AWSOME!
Depeche Mode, Christian Death, The Cure, Motley Crue, Culture Club, Duran Duran....... and soooo on

finti
the beginning of the 80`s was cool, very cool indeed, the latter part though sicksick

mechmoggy
Some of the eighties was okay, but I think of it as a really cheesey era overall. Some of the pop that came out was just terrible.

grymlock
i love 80's they are the best of years in music for me... it's the begining of new wave music.. yeah i do love 'come on eileen' - dexy's midnight runner

cheers mate!!

Lord_Andres
I lOVE the 80's music, like bon jovi, Survivor, Def Leppard,return, Europe,Asia asosmile

mechmoggy
Now thats the kind of 80's cheese I'm talking about! roll eyes (sarcastic)

julibug
Yeah, there was a LOT of cheese in the 80's!! stick out tongue But some of it was tasty cheese! roll eyes (sarcastic)

Lord_Andres
bands these days don't know how to make good music!!!

mechmoggy
But there was a lot of crap about too, and have you ever noticed how pig ugly some of the 80's pop stars were? You don't get with todays crappy pop stars.

Corlindel
I love the 80's I was teenager there big grin Bauhaus, Chameleons and Joy Division...and rap was fine too like Afrika Bambatta and the furious five big grin

julibug
What?!? Ugly 80's pop stars? I can't possibly imagine...

Lord_Andres
But there was a lot of crap about too, and have you ever noticed how pig ugly some of the 80's pop stars were? You don't get with todays crappy pop stars.

said by mechmoggy

dose it matter that much how they looket? they made great music, and they warent ugly, if you know some ugly singer post a pic, and we'l deside!

julibug
I think he was being facetious. roll eyes (sarcastic) As was I with my "lovely" attachment! stick out tongue

mechmoggy
I always watch TOTP2 on BBC2, they show lots of 80's cheese. I've gotta say they're the ugliest bunch of bad mimers I've ever seen. stick out tongue

Did somebody say Joy Division? Tres kewl. cool

finti
ha ha ha look at that hairdo on that Flock Of Seagul dude .

Best thing out of the 80`s U2 and Deepeche Mode

mah
joy division..wire..talking heads (or was that 70's?..I will not be bothered to check out, and it's not like I was born back then.) ..Can.

swoope
I have been parked on the couch watching "I Love the 80's Strikes Back" on VH-1 all week long...love it...

~fuoco~
I LOVE 80'S MUSIC!! EVEN THO ALOT OF THEM ARE CHEESY! THE CHEESIER THE BETTER !!
Michael Jackson and Madonna... the best!!!

alic88
MICHAEL JACKSON WAS THE KING OF THE 80 DECADE. 83 was when the best selling album of all times came. and also that song

SELF CONTROL: you take myself u take my selfcontrol, OH OH OH, OH OH OH... classic, 80's rule

o kiMMii o
lol i think everyone knew that ! Mj has been the king for 3 decades.......lmao
and still is......

grymlock
i will drink to that... beer

forget about fashion... doesn't matter you are at 80's or 90's or even year 2000 as long you know how to make good music that's what i care... just look at robert smith (the cure) he is one weird ****ing guy but look at his music from 70's till now he still know how to compose great music and write good lyric... and he still dress and look the same as ever.. and yes, the cure still remain one of my fav band!!!

p/s: duran duran and has reunite with the old line up... and yet the new song are suck for me.. i just love the old song in the 80's..

cheers mate!!

Corlindel
There are not public places where I can heard good music anymore sad

~fuoco~
i agree with you, mate!! i never listen to music on the radio or the telly no more because everything is horrible!!! i only listen to older stuff

kohl
this thread should not die! hm, some random (and some embarrassing) 80s acts i enjoy: naked eyes, alphaville, kajagoogoo, al corley, tubeway army, generation x, new order, pet shop boys, etc etc ... anyone?

amity75
Adam and the ants. Alien Sex Fiend.

Corlindel
Nah! I repeat my post: Joy Division, Bauhaus, Chameleons, Echo & the Bunnymen, Wire, Jesus & Mary Chain, Psichadelic Furs, Felt, Nick Cave, The Sound, Ultravox, Kraftwerk, Einsturzende Neubaten, The Mission, The Sisters of Mercy, Fields of the Nephilin, Cocteau Twins, Siouxie Sioux.

Ok these are my favorit bands of Alternativ/Gothic/Industrial/Electronic music of the beggining of the 80's...I dodnt like 80's pop
stick out tongue

eleveninches
I loved some of the rock music from the 80's.
Guns 'n' Roses
Bon Jovi
Iron Maiden

and of course:
Michael Jackson

Darth Jello
the hair bands were the worst, the years 79-87 were responsible for probably the best punk rock ever released, not to mention sonic youth before the became completely wussy

ElectricBugaloo
there were barely any good bands in the 80s, but i think the best band to come out of hte 80s was the Talking Heads

Red Superfly
Has anybody played Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (80's craziness)?

*does comic book guy voice*

Best Soundtrack in a game.........EVER!

80's ruled

KMC
This is just my observation as i was born in '89 but there was some sh*t in the '80s. Real crap, eg. most of the New Romantic era.
There was some great music though, like Dire Straits, Bowie and the almighty Prince.
Then there's the classic so bad it's good Power Ballad. A seven hour mini-disk of cheesy '80s power ballads. I didnt think it was humanly possible to laugh for 7hours straight.

Kate xx

Red Superfly
Lets not forget "The Power Of Love" by Huey Lewis and The News - ultimate classic.

"Money For Nothing" and "Walk Of life" by Dire Straits.

"The Way It Is" by Bruce Hornsby and The Range

Sorry I'm just listing my fave 80's songs.

Lol yeah the 80's was full of that Power Ballad stuff. I was a kiddo in the 80's, born in 84, so I have fond memoires of that time because when you are that young, everything is HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY! Even the crap stuff.

ElectricBugaloo
man...i look back at the 80s and wonder how it could get any worse (musically)--then i look back at the late 90s.

Kaleanae
I like a lot of music from the 80s big grin

kohl
of course you're entitled to your opinion, but are you kidding? new romantic and new wave music was the bomb. synths, keyboards--that music was catchy as hell.

KMC
I just can't stand alot of New Romantic stuff. I'm sure there are some classics but it's not my cup of tea. The real crap was stuff like Spandau Ballet- why were they released on the world?? My mum liked them- we are so ashamed...

Kate xx

ElectricBugaloo
...without the 80s we would never have had Stryper

kohl
*sigh* well, i think spandau ballet are quite fun. and tony hadley has a very good voice.

KMC
^Thats what she says. Fair do's i guess but in my opinion- meh...

Kate xx

kohl
tehe. to each his own. :>

finti
U2 had many good songs in the 80s so did Michael Jackson, Iron Maiden, Guns and Roses, Dire Straits, The Police , Bon Jovi, Rainbow, Depeche Mode, Talk Talk and so on...................... there was a lot of bad music as well as it is with all decades.

ElectricBugaloo
What the hell is people's fixation with Bon Jovi and Depeche Mode? Don't they realize they were talentless hacks?

finti
Well Depeche Mode was quite the synth band of the 80`s and very talented indeed, I never actually been a synth band fan myself, but I know quality musicians when I hear them. . The fact that you dont like them has nothing to do with the skill of the musicians. Same with Bon Jovi, even if I liked their earliest material much better than their mega seller Slippery when wet ,they still had loads of talent

Ninjamaster
80's was a fab time to be a kid the movies
Golden child, Coming to America, Firewalker,Last Dragon,Cannonball run

Michael Jackson was on the moon and on fire

Carl Lewis was the fastest man on the planet

Basketball was out of this world Magic,Bird,Thomas with Jordan coming up

We had great statesmen and women Gorbachev,Thatcher

hell it was agreat time to grow up!

Red Superfly
You thought Margaret Thatcher was a great Prime Minister? Are you insane? She almost brought Britain to it's knees! She made it easy for all the yuppies and rich people to stay rich, and made it sure that the young and destitute would STAY POOR! That's simplifying it but it's basically you catch my drift. Politically the 80's was a NIGHTMARE!

finti
and Carl Lewis was not the fastest man on the planet, Ben Johnson was even if he was doped, but so was everybody else in that game

KMC
i wasnt around but even i know that Thatcher's Britain was not a good place to be. But, maybe this is a bad thing to say, without that, there wouldnt have been the BritPop revolution.

Kate xx

Ninjamaster
I still think it was a great time!
And still admire all of 'em hell nobody is perfect.
80's politically was a nightmare that's no exaggeration . so we had tuff as balls leaders.
I enjoyed the 80's more than the 90's
Ben Johnson will never get thet respect even if he was doped coz when I heard he beat Carl Lewis I was greatly saddened, however when the truth came out Iwas ecstatic coz CL was like my idol... rolling on floor laughing cool

Corlindel
Yep. Orwell wrote something about that "All sprinters are doped, but some sprinters are more doped than others" I have already seen this somewhere here in KMC blink

Great times! Everybody doped and running like hell smokin' I miss the eighties sad

kohl
can't speak for bon jovi as i've only heard a handful of tracks. but being a depeche mode fan ... i have to say that not only musically, but lyrically they're quite an inventive band. you're entitled to your opinion, and disliking them is part of it... but it does not mean they're talentless--it is only a matter of being objective.

alic88
i also think that 80's had the most powerful songs ever

billie jean,beat it, smooth criminal etc by michael jackson, self control by laura branigan

la isla bonita by madonna, n so many others

kohl
absolutely. catchy, great to dance to. and some of the best tunes out there. ah, synths. :>

starshine
I like the music of the 80s. I like Depeche Mode, Duran Duran, Roxy Music, Pet shop boys etc

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.