Unfinished tales...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

hpxmenlotrnerd
I've been reading unfinished tales...and I am having a really hard time getting through it. I find myself skipping around a lot too the stories i like embarrasment Has anyone else read this book?? did ya make it through the whole notes and all? cause i just cant do it. The Silmarillion had a little more flow than Unfinished Tales does, so it was easier to read that, but i dont know...im having trouble here. I read "concerning Galadriel and Celeborn" and that was really good smile

Ushgarak
It is NOT an easy read and was never presnted as such.

turin
well, it is a tough read compared to LOTR but compared to the histories of middle earth it is cake. the histories, particulary 7,8, and 9 are tough because they tell you a story, then the next chapter is the same story with changes made, and then you finish one the books and the next book instead of picking up at the end of the proceeding book, it picks up in the middle, making you have to read it all over again with just minor changes. drove me crazy and made for a long read.

turin
just keep plodding along and you'll finish it, and it will become another book you'll love!

shadowy_blue
Couldnt have said it better. wink

The other thing is, theyre really not telling a story, (well of course they are, but not the type of story that typical books present) theyre just giving you a background of every event that happened way, way back in the beginning of the creation of Middle-earth so, yeah, its really hard to follow along. But if youre really eager, then you can do it. wink

Exa
All the comments make it a bit hard to read if you want new stories and all but its really interesting I think because it gives a lot of details so its surely worth reading

however the unfinished tales are far easier than the history which are even more worth reading

hpxmenlotrnerd
Thanks for all the replies, i haven't been able to get on the comp lately. I appreciate all the advice and i'll definitely consider it. so i'll stick to it and probably love it like the SIlmarillion. Thanksbig grin

billyboyd4ever
so you guys think its worth the read??? ive been contemplating whether i should read it or not...

Exa
Yes, we do big grin

It also has a lot of information about the Third Age and the Istari (wizards) for example which are really interesting to read.
And it's not completely in that historical style Tolkien uses for the Silmarillion.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.