Best Battle

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

King Jedi
What is the best Star Wars battle?

Ushgarak
Getting a sense of deja vu here, KJ...

I hate to chose between some of these. In the end, I go with Yavin, narrowly beating Hoth. Yavin had all the suspense needed, the arrival of the Millenium Falcon is a genuine surprise (NOT because it is a plot point you would never consider but simply because the scene so successfully makes you forget all about Han as you watch the action), the music is perfect, and it also showed that the battles don;t havew to be enormous to be great. And the set-up that is the Trench Seuqnce is great.

Hoth is also bloody good, of course, and it's nice when the bad guys win, but it still doesn;t QUITE give me the same emtional buzz of Yavin.

Endor was too ridiculously one-sided with the Rebels being ridiculously successful and it is also badly intercut with ither scenes; I'm not ahuge Ewok fan, either.

Naboo is a technical triumph, of course, but the space battle was just filler, really. The TF/Gungan battle was impressive enough (and again, the good guys had the deceny to lose), but again the jumbled intercut nature of the whole thing put me off; get back to the sabre fight, nagdammit!

King Jedi
laughing out loud I forgot you've seen this before.

I went for Naboo simply because it's the newest and the one I watch most just now. Although for adrenalin and sheer buzz you can't beat Yavin.

jedi212guy
Yavin definitely gets mu adrenaline going, but I absolutely love the Endor space battle. Besides, I have always liked the Ewoks, and ROTJ has my favorite lightsaber battle in it. smile

KDawg
I would have to go with the battle of Hoth. Simply because of the AT-AT's they way those scenes of them either falling or being blown to bits was just magic. I also loved the way that Lucas had to do bluescreen magic with the white snow. The battle of Yavin is a very close second. I loved the suspense of the whole thing. When all the rebels except Luke were either taken out or had extensive damage I always just wait for the scene where Han and Chewy show up. I agree with the point of the scenes in TPM and ROTJ were to jumbled up. BRING ON THE LIGHTSABRES! wink

Texas
I agree with Lance, the Battle of Hoth was the best! Not only that, but everytime I watch it, I get reminded of Christmas time, dont know why, maybe the snow has something to do with it. big grin

jedi212guy
Yeh, all of my Christmas's involve getting attacked by AT-AT's too. laughing out loud

yerssot
That is nothing! But al those Ewoks eat A LOT!!

jedi212guy
True... confused

R.C
Hoth rules.

jedi212guy
But the Rebels lose the battle.

R.C
But it was an awesome battle.

Ushgarak
So what that the Rebels lose the battle? If anything that made it better.

Heck, no-one else for Yavin yet? Boo-hoo...

King Jedi
I think a lot of people like the ground, lightsabre, space battle thing.

jedi212guy
Yep. I liked that in TPM, too. However, I think that three parallel scenes is the maximum. Four seemed a little too jumpy.

KDawg
TPM fight scenes were a little too jumpy going back and forth don't you agree?

Ratcat
Until someone said a similar thing to me about 6 bmonths ago I had never thought about it, then it worried me for a while, but I'm happy with how they go.

yerssot
Jumpy? do you mean the end with dual of the fates, battle of naboo and the airbattle?

Ratcat
I think that was what was meant, to many inter-cuts. I personally didn't think so.

yerssot
I think that they didn't had to interfere with Dual of the Fates; that was some heavy sh*t

Ratcat
The music itself? Yes, that was pretty intense.

yerssot
I'm talking about the whole fight here

Ratcat
Oh yeah, it was a cool jedijedisith battle, though I don't think it suffered from the intercuts, IMHO OC

King Jedi
I don't think so either but we've seen the whole "3 way" thing twice now, in TPM and ROTJ so I hope we don't see it again.

Ratcat
Three way thing in ROTJ, oh you mean the intercuts

jedi212guy
It depends how GL orders the hangar battle, arena battle, and space battle.confused

Ratcat
Is there really going to be another space battle? I didn't think there was.

King Jedi
RC by "3 way thing in ROTJ" I didn't mean Leia, Jabba and Salacious Crumb. I meant three battles happening at the same time. cool

Ushgarak
Indeed, it really was all spread too thin (the space battle in Naboo being particularly not worth the time put into making it), the music got messed up and the cutting of scenes didn't increase the tension, it just irritated you. Well, some of us, anyway.

King Jedi
When I'm watching that scene I just wait for the space part to be over so I can see Maul v Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon.

It wasn't balanced right. We knew Anakin wasn't going to die. We knew Amidala wasn't going to die so the only real tension was for the sabre duel.

jedi212guy
True, true.

potential spoiler:

I have heard that some Jedi will storm a space ship in the hope of deactivating the droids on the ground.

yerssot
Rip-off!
That is the same as TPM the only thing difference is that it weren't Jedis but pilots

Zereil
For me I'd say the space battle of Endor with loads of ships, Now that showed a fleet...

sand person no. 10
of all the battles, endor was the most spectacular, all of the imperial fleet, all of the rebel fleet, and it looked great, although wouldn't the superstar destroyer falling into the deathstar have made it blow up?

yerssot
The Deathstar was then a fully armed and operational battlestation, so the shields would take care of that I think

King Jedi
The thing that lets Endor down is how easy the rebels won. The Emperor was supposed to have sent down a legion of his best troops. But they were defeated by a squad of rebels and the Ewoks.

sand person no. 10
I Star Wars not partly about the little guy doing big things, hence the ewoks beating the empire, I just thought the battle reflected how Luke was doing with turning Vader, at first he's losing, then he wins simple, and did the Superstar Destroyer not pierce the actual structure of the deathstar, was the shield generator not down by then?

Ushgarak
The principl;e of the little underrated guys beatingt the over-confident and over-teched bad guys is fair enough, just it was not presented in a believable way which is why most people don't like the Ewok battle.

As for the SSD/Death Star interface, well look, big as the SSD was, let us not forget how ridiculously ENORMOUS the DS was. It was an inconveneience but not a disaster.

Mind you, the destruction of the SSD was pretty silly. Poor Piett came back for that...

yerssot
Remember that the tech-guys were always stupid, like in ANH you can 'easily' destroy the DS, the rebels could even go with relative ease escape Hoth, it wasn't only ROTJ that had that

Ushgarak
I believe the Rebels were pretty well-teched as well; that was just triumph in adversity. Not quite the same idea as ROTJ.

yerssot
Visiualy the Rebels weren't that good.
If you look at the briefing in ANH, you see that the DS is made of little dots, now that's strange that they make that even when they can make and repair droids

King Jedi
If their had been more Stormtroopers and more Ewoks on Endor then it would have been better.

I just find it strange that the Emperor didn't have a huge army garding the sheild generator.

yerssot
He knew that there was only a small commando there, so he sented his best troops down there.

King Jedi
Better to be safe than sorry.

sand person no. 10
is the darkside not supposed to be arrogant and careless, i assume thats why they always lose!

Ushgarak
If you introduce a 'Darkside always lose' scenario then there is no drama in it.

The victory should have looked like it was due to Rebel brilliance; as it is it seems down to Imperial incompetence, the source of it the so-called mighty Emperor himself.

And those were REALLY his best troops? Gee...

LanceWindu
In the next year the best battle is going to be the Battle of the Arena. From what I hear it is going to be very big and very awesome.

yerssot
The defeat was simply because he trusted on humans, wich are known to make mistakes.
They underestimated the 'powers' of the Ewoks. (this is said in the del rey book sow it is eu)

Ushgarak
Which one was that said in, out of curiosity?

Well, no mater which way you cut it it still looks darn feeble.

I think Luke should have been directly responsbile for the defeat of the Empire. Instead, he had nothing to do with it, and the EMperor's idiotic plan sealed the Empire's fate.

yerssot
That was out of a book of Del Rey, small and black with TINY letters.

What are you saying? Ofcourse there had to be a flaw in the movie, otherwhise the rebellion would never been victorious.

Ushgarak
As I just said, it should have been due to rebel brilliance, not Imperial incompetence. I want heroes that look like heroes, not ones that rely on their enemies cocking up.

King Jedi
The trouble was that it was the end of the storie and so everything had to end on a high. Otherwise I'd have loved to see more rebels die.

LanceWindu
More Rebels die? Why?

King Jedi
It would have made the struggle bigger.

Aslo I'd have killed Panaka and Ric Ollie in the battle of Naboo for the same reason. Especially as it seems they won't be in EP2 anyway.

Ushgarak
Naboo casualties were AMAZINGLY low in that battle. I don't see why GL did that; he killed enough Rebels right at the start of Ep. IV

jedi212guy
There were a fair amount of deaths in Episode I. Most were faceless warriors, but at least 3 major/minor characters bit the big one in TPM. smile

King Jedi
But still, if Ollie and Panaka or maybe even Tarpals and Boss Nass had died then I think it would have been better.

jedi212guy
I think that it shows that the battle droids are pathetically weak. That is why Palpy goes for clonetroopers instead. Although they aren't perfect, they are better than those battledroids that die when they fall over.

yerssot
I heard a year ago that the senate didn't approved a droidarmy so the clonetroopers were invented

jedi212guy
I thought that Sidious hired the people to create the clonetroopers in secret.

Ushgarak
The Battledroids were TREMENDOUSLY rubbish! And what sort of reaky system has some droids not need a control ship but the COMMAND droids need it??!

yerssot
Wich droids didn't need the command ship?

King Jedi
I don't know either.

yerssot
Are you talking about the flight-ships?
That is because they aren't groundtroops, those droids need that for some reason.
A droidcommantship is for droids not for plaines that can walk

Ushgarak
No, I mean the droids that crew this ships (the purple and blue ones). They HAVE to work without the control ship or the ships would stop working when they left the blockade (becase the control ship was left behind!)

yerssot
I thought those guys didn't exist

Ushgarak
What guys?

jedi212guy
Interesting point. Maybe the droids in the blockage fleet work only when their respective ship is around. The army droids were not turned on, and they could work just when the master ship was around, or something like that.

yerssot
Perhaps they knew the flaw that got them down in TPM so they made the crew-droids with another system: when there ship is intact they work?

Ushgarak
I reckon the only point in distinguishing between security (purple) and trooper (red) droids is because the security ones work without the control ship. But you would think that the COMMAND droids would be likewise independant...

yerssot
About wich commander are you talking now? I can't follow confused

Ushgarak
Well, all of them presumably. All the command droids shut down when the command ship did.

And in answer to your other point, this is IN TPM, Yerssot. The fleet leaves the control ship. There were droids on the ships that left- lots of them. Including ones operating the ship and providing security. They presumably would have to work without the control ship or they would all turn off when they left the blockade.

yerssot
I thought the pilots weren't there. The commander that said: if they're down here sir, we'll find them, he was just like a comander on his tank: looking around for hostiles.
All the big ships are computer-controlled from another place than they use for the battledroids

Ushgarak
Sorry, Yerssot, I am not 100% sure what you mean.

My point is that every ship in the fleet was full of droids.

yerssot
I think I get it now; do you mean at the start of the invasion? The big schips that land on Naboo, and the commander saying than "If they're down here sir, we'll find them"?

I think that they are divided into sections, so you can turn section 1 on and the other 500 aren't active. The button used for the battledroids ("Activat the droids"wink is maybe the main-button?

Very strange, thanx for pointing that out Ush

justinday15
What is the battle of Endor? What movie is it in?

Ushgarak
The big ROTJ battle.

GordonSkywalker
The one with all those Ewoks and Biker Troopers that were fighting in the forest.

Evil Windu
The Battle of Hoth. Even though it was boring im sure GL will go back and add extra feature even shots.

Ushgarak
It's the space battle as well, Gordon.

GordonSkywalker
Nitpicking and technicalities.

Corran
I went for Naboo too.

cookies2006
Naboo will always be best. Atleast till ep3 comes out.

Ushgarak
Not nitpicking at all, Gordon- actually a rather defined part of continuity.

cookies2006
Well said.

GordonSkywalker
Greetings Ushgarak! I see you are still around after all.

cookies2006
yeah. 3 years is a long time.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.