What's more important? Plot, Characters, Special Effects

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Curl_Up&Dye
Which element is more important in horror movies?
Plot
Characters
Special Effects

thorncrawler
why would you want anything else, look at psycho, great plot, quite cool charactors, and a special effect bugit that i could afford!!!!

J-Sin.VS.Fred-D
plot. bad plot = bad movie.

grymlock
plot definitely... it's the whole of the movie..

cheers!!

h0ck3yh0rr0r
plot.

ragesRemorse
Acting is the most important aspect of a movie. I know many will probably bust a nut over this reply, but its the truth. any director or producer will tell you this. Good acting can save a bad story. however a great plot cannot cover up bad acting. Special effects really dont matter all that much. if the movie has great acting and a good plot. people will often over look the special effects.

So the truth of the matter is you cannot have a good movie and only have great acting or a good story. To have a good movie you need to have both good acting, and a good solid story. Even if the movie revolves around special effects. It will still be decided by the characters and the acting before its judged on the special effects

Espantada20
If you have a great plot you had better have great actor's or believable ones.Plot is the biggest and most importabt thing in any movie,but if the actors suck then the movie might suck too no matter how good the plot.Bastard actors always screwing things up.But then look at some lame ass movies that had good actors in them.Battlefield Earth was a gay ass movie that had some decent actors,but those actors couldn't save that sh@#ty ass piece of crap.And that lame ass movie Gigli with that queer Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez.I didn't see the movie and I hate "Ben and Jen" so I dont speak from personal experienc on this one but it totally tanked in the theatre.Goes to show no matter how great the actor thinks he or she is if the movie is crap the audience knows.So I guess what you absolutely have to have is a great plot and great actors.

ragesRemorse
yeah but its arguable that ben affleck and jen lopez are amongst the best actors. Because there not infact they suck. so putting the two of them together in a shitty plot line well you get shit. Movies like gone in sixty seconds, now that is a movie that was saved by the acting, it diddnt have much of a plot. The acting and cafrs made the movie seem much more than it really wasnt. replace those actors with bad actors, you have a horrible movie. i know you need a good plot and good acting for a good movie, but if you have great actors you just might get by with a movie having no plot what so ever

BackFire
Plot.

SaTsuJiN
Plot.. or theres no point for the movie to exist.

xblanex
Plooooot

Evil Dead
Characters......

You cannot have a good plot without good characters to move the story along.

You can however have good characters without having a good plot........which makes a bad movie more tolerable.

BackFire
That's true in some cases...But good characters aren't a neccessity for a good plot. Take TCM for example, the characters in that are a bunch of hippy stereotypes, but the plot is still great and ingenious... Of course, the villian characters are superbly insane and interesting....so that was a bad example..

movie_freak
Definately Plot

chico23
I say Plot, but with the right characters you can make a good movie great.

slayer
Cahracters and plot specual effects aren't very important.

Lord Soth
Plot. No plot, no movie whatsoever

Evil Dead
Then again.......some of the worst plots ever become good movies because of the characters wink

worldindustries
I would say the plot.

Wolfie
I would say plot. You can have good characters but if the plot sucks, they ultimately suck. Special effects... Wolf had next to none and that was a great movie.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.