USH'S GAME- DARK SIDER POLL- Raison d'etre

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ushgarak
And here is a new poll for the Dark Siders. It is a question about something that has always existed but now is more relevant than ever. Why do you DO it?

That might seem like an odd question, but think about it. Life on the Dark Side is a bastard. Constantly worrying about betrayal. Hated everywhere. Hunted by the Jedi. No permanent home, no settled life, and no prsopects for the future without extreme difficulty. Sure, you are dangerous and have powers, but what do you do with them? Get into more and more dangerous situations! Kuylen gave your lives purpose- but why do you bother?

This is a fundamental question for any Dark Sider. Why DO you do it? Look at Anakin. As Vader, he was just a creature of evil and no-one cared more than that. But now we are seeing WHY he became Vader. It was not just a random declaration of evil.

When I said this game was one that accepted Dark Siders, it was a decision with risk. Playing the bad guys in a game is a dangerous venture because the essence of storytelling is about good guys, not bad. The very last thing I wanted was one-dimensional, comic book villains. I do not need PLAYERS to play them- I could do them myself. Certainly, for example, I would never want anyone to play like Chion. He is a bad guy of the decidedly old-fashioned sense.

If you are going to accept 'evil' in your game, it has to be on the premise not just that evil can be cool- because random acts of psychopathy become very dull very soon- but on the idea that it is INTERESTING.

You, in this game, do NOT play the antagonists to the Jedi protagonists. if you did, you would not be playing at all- you would be helping me run the game against the Jedi. No, you are a seperate group of protagonists. You have your own struggles, problems, disasters, defeats, victories. And more importantly, your own motivations, mindsets, and goals. You are more than one-dimensional bad guys. You are fully fledged participants in your own right.

And the reason this now becomes more important than ever is that you all now know that you guys have a genuine shot at power. You might actually achieve something. But you might have been concentrating so much on GETTING there... that you forget there is a 'what happens next?'.

Hence this poll. I provide several motivations- you may provide your own if you want. You may also want to ask yourself- what are the motivations of the ones played by me...?

Baylin
Initially I chose the dark side so I could be nasty and kill for the fun of it. Now I'm finding it's more fun trying to think in an evil manner as appose to the gung ho kill everything attitude. I've never played 'evil' before and I'm quite enjoying it although I sometimes wish I could have a grey character just to balance things out.

Captain REX
Fun, Galder loves to have fun during combat!

Dexx
power

genral zink
I chose other, for it is a bit of Greed, having a thirst for power and a lot of cash, a bit of Revenge, on my father (who I've already killed), and a bit of Fun, because it's awesome what I can do!

Ushgarak
But no one dominant thing that drives you?

genral zink
Probably Greed then. My father was greedy, so am I. But my choice of other still stands.

Lord Melkor
Ushgarak, can I resurrect this interesting and still valid thread?

Gallador`s motivation is Power, he believes in New Order let by Force Users, who will use their power to rule lesser beings for their own good. His second motivation is greed, mostly for knowledge and mastery of the force, not in physical sense. His third motivation is revenge on the Jedi, that failed him and the people of Galaxy.

General Zink
Heh!

The current me, the non-Wraith character, thinks the same as Gallador. Power to Rand! Fear Rand! He is your leader!

Lana
Pfft, you're not our leader stick out tongue

With Rianna it's mainly revenge....

Captain REX
Vote, woman! stick out tongue

Lana
I did, so there stick out tongue

Trickster
Power would be Tanic's motivation, probably. At first it was justice, and a type of revenge for his Master's death in a way the Jedi couldn't deliver. Then it was fear, and now it's a mixture of fear and power.

Bardock42
The only reason ever to join the dark side would be coolness, now seriously who doesn't want to be Darth Bane?

Although Jedi are almost as cool the Darths just have the upper hand in that regard.

Ushgarak
This thread has long been superceded by the Tips thread. Closing.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.