non horror fans that think they r

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DeNiro
i hate this when people do this ok i saw TCM about two years ago i lved it i have prolly seen it only 3 times and i wanted to rent it about a month ago just because i havent sen it in a while well it has been on the shelf at blockbuster everyday for the past two years without ne sighns of sumone renting it then all of the sudden the new one comes out and boom it is always gone and then i ask people that saw the orgianal and the remake like almost the same day which one they thought was better and they r like i like the remake a hole bunch better im like omg ur so stupid u cant even appreciate a great movie when u see one but u complment a shit one that is newer and like it just because it is ib ur time and u know nothing about horor movies

Evil Dead
well.......you have to think about the casual movie fans......alot of them are morons incapable of cognitive thought. They just want to go sit in a dark theater for 2 hrs and be thrilled with explosions and crap. Basically, eyecandy.............which ofcourse it the crutch of a movie with a bad plot. If the movie has a good plot, eye candy can only hinder the creator's attempt to get the story across.......the visuals get in the way.

Ofcourse morons are going to like the remake more..........if they had never seen the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre, they obviously aren't horror genre fans. This means that the only "horror" movies they've probably seen are Scream, I Still Know What You Did Last Summer, Urban Legend, Wrong Turn, The Ring and maybe a few popular slasher flicks like NOES or a Friday the 13th or something. The remake is probably closer in resemblence to those schlock movies......which they identify with as being good "horror" movies.

Do they get on my nerves? Not really.......unless they try to talk horror movies with me at which time I usually scoff ......then make them look like complete morons by rambling off horror trivia as if anybody with half of a brain should know it. When they realize they don't have a clue as to what I'm talking about....generally they shut up and walk away.

I like to let them live in their happy little fantasy world untill they get me angry by insulting the genre with their "I've watched the Ring so I'm a huge horror buff" attitude.

Those are my feelings on the subject. Are they wrong to like the new TCM better? No.......because they are morons. Morons do stupid shit so it's completely acceptable for them to like the remake better.

h0ck3yh0rr0r
agree.

BackFire
Evil Dead is so right about this (as usual). So many people think that just cuz they've seen the shining or halloween that it makes them have some credibility in the horror genre. I work at blockbuster, so I encounter many of these fools over the course of a day. Especially this time of year.

The funniest is when some little goth comes into the store and goes to the horror section, and you can tell they just watch horror movies because it goes with their "lifestyle", they bring up like 3 horror movies. All of which are either shitty or trendy, and act like they are the most knowledgable horror experts in the world. I usually proceed to school them asking them if they've seen a number of horror movies that only actual horror buffs would have seen. They leave the store feeling empty and sad....my job is done.

I have kinda mixed feelings about the current situation with TCM however, it's good to see so many people interested in the original because of the remake. That's the only real positive aspect the remake will have. TCM is a great movie and it's good to see it starting to get the recognition it deserves from people who generally aren't into horror flicks.

Espantada20
But I think that kind of cheapens the memory of the original TCM.The only reason these ******* are renting it is because the new ones out.I bet some of them didn't even know that the new one was a remake.Some people are just stupid.I just think it's sad to see Hollywood remaking classic movies that shouldn't be touched because they were great as their original form.Just ****s up the whole thing.Damn Bastards.

slayer
Yeah most people don't even know it exists!

DeNiro
i am a knowledegable movie guy in all areas now i am not even close to what backfire or evil dead r with horror but i know a decent amount of horror and i usally pick out the older horror movies that r more classic then the newer slashers or new horror movie because they jut suck I know what u did last summer. need i say more. i have rented over 800 movies from blockbuster now so i think i can now call my self a movie buff even as a lil kid i would stand in line at the show tell everyone what the movie was about and who was i it and i would giv a prediction about it then they woud honestly say thank you me being about 8 and them adults and them thinking how does he know all this about movies i was just a kid that had nothing better to do with his summer nights at 1 am all i would do is rent movies and stay up fro 12 to when ever and jsut watched movies

ragesRemorse
a true horror expert-fan is someone who grew up with horror movies. Somone ,who everytime they entered a video store they went.. well not actually making an action, its more being pulled straight twords the horror section. Looking for that one scary movie that will actually give you the chills, you want to get nightmares, but you know you wont so you go for the most horrifying thing on the rack, You grow up you learn about those special horror flicks that none else knows about through word of mouth, or just sheer investigation.

Now this brings me back to the beginning. Remember when you were that little kid being pulled twords the horror section. Well now your an adult with a self manipulated RADAR for the horror section, youve seen it all, you know it all and you respect it all because its been there since you were a little kid giving you a love, a love better than a woman. thats the love of horror movies.

So when your going through the video section, or the movie category in a video store., and you see those little naive self acclaimed horror experts. You hear all of there "spectacular" movie reviews . You go up to them an say " you know what? you dont shit about horror" Take the movies he/ or she is holding in there hands. take them by the hand and walk them over to where the REAL horror movies are., and pick them out indvidually for them. This is your duty as horror fans and experts, we have to make sure our kind never dies out. so do your part .

BackFire
No one did that for me, I became a horror nut just because I found them interesting. I'm not going ot help anyone, they can spend the time researching and finding horror titles like I did.

ragesRemorse
no one did that for me eigther, im just saying we have to do our part, so dumbasses who think they know horror wont become the next generation, and produce movies into horror crap. I dont want to see movies inspired by i know what you did last summer or scream. I want to see hardcore, raw, unrelenting horror.

Evil Dead
This is funny but true......

My mom had a great deal to do with making me a horror fan. Back in the early eighties horror moview were played alot on network tv because they were so cheap to get the rights to play. I'd watch horror movies on NBC all day on Saturday. That's where I first watched Friday the 13th. I would watch all the horror movies she rented with her.....classics like The Omen, Jaws and Amityville. Her taste ran towards the mainstream.

As I got a little older....around 10.......my mom would let me pick some movies out to rent. I'd always pick a horror movie that looked scary on the box cover. This lead to me seeing alot of older, obscure by mainstream standards horror movies. When I wasn't with her at the video store, she would simply pick a movie out for me. It's funny but the first time I ever saw "I Spit on Your Grave".......my mom rented it for me without me even being with her. She just saw the cover and title and thought I would like it. Ofcourse she didn't read the synopsis on the back of the box. Same with Silent Night Deadly Night.......she picked it out for me.

By the time I was 12 I'd seen probably hundreds of horror movies. I still love the genre and always will. I am 24 now and still rent primarily horror movies. This week's dvd rentals from Hollywood video were: 28 Days, Wrong Turn, Willard, and Dreamcatcher.

I'm with Backfire. Horror movies can't be fully appreciated if someone else points them out to you. You have to be intrigued by the film yourself enough to make you want to watch it.

SaTsuJiN
lol researching? what an interesting choice of a word. I only really have a blockbuster around here and if the back of the cover sounds like a cheese fest I dont get it hehe. My sister actually referred the texas chainsaw massacre to me. That and 'dont be afraid of the dark'. Texas was awesome and 'dbaotd' was an interesting idea. I find the older horror to far exceed the new. I wasnt too crazy about the very first night of the living dead though sad I couldnt really identify with the fear factor. The remake though was good or 'revisit' whatever choice of words suits it best. I dont go digging for horror, but if someone (preferably a close friend or a fanatic) refers a movie to me I'll look for it. I do consider myself a fan of horror since its one of my favorite genres, but I also find myself becoming more picky since alot of trash has been floating amongst the new releases. So everytime I go see a new horror movie coming out I usually go expecting to get let down, this way I wont be disappointed. I still have yet to see a few flicks (the hills have eyes, the people under the stairs, etc) that some have told me are pretty good. I've heard the plots for both movies and I dont think people under the stairs was sounding too good.

I know the kind of people you're talking about though. Since I'm a core gaming fan I usually run into those at the local import store. Speak this and that about a certain game and then I have to take them to ass kicking 101 all over again. Sad thing is they think I play all day to get that good, ahahahaha....sad people.

To the horror masters (and the self proclaimed), I'd love to hear what horror flicks you'd recommend (someones gotta represent right?) wink

Linda : "Hell yeah, muh fukkah!!"

Evil Dead
I completely agree with you on the new horror front..........28 Days Later is probably the best new horror movie made in a long time.

As for recomendations: (you've probably already seen alot of these)

A Nightmare on Elm Street
Hellraiser
The Evil Dead and the Evil Dead 2
The Ugly
Dawn of the Dead
Day of the Dead
Alice, Sweet Alice
I Spit on Your Grave
The Last House on the Left
In the mouth of Madness
Lord of Illusions
The Beyond
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
The Shining
Carrie
Phantasm + it's 3 sequels
28 Days Later
The Amityville Horror
The Omen and it's first two sequels parts 2+3
The Thing
Prom Night
Jaws
Demons
Return of the Living Dead
Critters + it's 3 sequels
The Gate
The Hills Have Eyes
Se7en
Phantoms
Wishmaster + it's first sequel, part 2
Candyman

Those film cross basically all horror sub-genres...........from slasher to psychological.....to comedy/horror.......................a few you probably won't enjoy as much unless you're a die hard genre fan but most you should be entertained with.

SaTsuJiN
I've seen a good chunk of those. I havent seen like 12 of them though, so I guess blockbuster gonna be pimping me tonight $_$ *cash register sound*

I'd recommend creepshow and its sequels. some of them were serious and some were funny, but all of them were good. I would also reccomend this one zombie flick that had a 'day of the dead' sized atmosphere where the world is like in a semi apocalyptic state. I've asked backfire about it and he doesnt know the name either sad it was really good too. I also liked the Invasion of the body snatchers (the one with donald sutherland , I think margot kidder and Leonard Nimoy). The beast within wasnt 'so' bad but it needed some help getting rid of those cheesy sex scenes -_-) I have a few more horror flicks on that old ass laser disc from like the late 70's so I'll dig through some more and refresh my memory big grin

I think I found the mysterious zombie flick http://www.epinions.com/content_15091994244 they gave it a bad review but from what I remember it wasnt so horrible. Perhaps they dislike the older flicks? noooo~~~~ it is the one... I'm going to have to rent it now to see why its so hated...

-_- .. the only half decent review I've found on it : http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~julieann/night%20ci.htm

Evil Dead
Ah yes.....I love the Creepshow movies.......I own both on dvd.

ragesRemorse
aww creep show is the greatest. I love those horror compilation moviues. Especially the crate, and the one written and stared by stephen king. it's priceless. Have you ever seen the original tales from the crypt movie? the movie that inspired the Hbo show. This is often over looked by many peeople i love this movie. or even the willies LOL i reemember the first time i rented that movie, i laughed so hard when the kid gave the girl a chocalate chip cookie made with flies smile

DeNiro
these r the longest and most intelligent responces i have ever read u guys r way beyond me i just have the apperication for the true horror movies and spit on the shitty ones of today

SaTsuJiN
I know that tales from the crypt started from one film, but I havent seen it. **nasty tales from the crypt moment : Guy falls off cliff edge and gets paralyzed, vulture pecks his eyes out blink **

as for creepshow : my favorites from there are "The crate" and the one where they go swimming in the lake with that killer blob.. thats the best

ragesRemorse
it piss*es me off a bit that these so called "horror buffs" of today refer to a classic as a B horror flick. This is because it isnt riddled with special effects. Instead they rely soley on the story, and the acting to get there vision across. these were the directors who based there career on a wimb, and it was a horror flick.

BackFire
My mom also basically got me into horror movies as a youngster. It's cuz of her that I saw Last House on the Left, TCM, The Hills Have Eyes, and The Shining. We still watch horror movies together all the time, she's seen all the ones I have and basically has the same taste as me.

Espantada20
My parents exposed me to horror at a young age so I guess that's why I like horror so much.Plus all the sex and nudity is an added bonus.hee hee hee.I've seen movies that I dont even remember the names to,just remember the plot.Horror's always a good thing.Especially with sex.Shit I think my minds horny.JK

DeNiro
my first horror movie was when i was four i saw the first, friday the 13th movie. then i saw lepurchan with my buddy actully leperchaun two when we where in kindergarten it was the first time we saw a pair of boobs on tv i wa like oooo coool then the guy got his face all smashed by that fan and then we were like awesom haha

chico23
I in no way consider myself a horor expert, but I am a fan. I like great movies period. Evil Dead's list is great and I seen most of those. I would hate to think that someone would find me to be a moron because I don't carry the same knowledge of the genre they do (not saying that i assume that was the nature of your post). Like some of you I think my stars that my mom was liberal enough to let watch horror at a young age which I suppose has something to do with the reason there is a special place within me that loves the genre. I like some mainstream horror flicks, but the ones I remember the most are those chessy flicks like Hotel Hell and My Bloddy Valentine not because of their great cinematic contribution, but because they took me somewhere I couldn't go with other films. My earliest memory of seeing a scary movie was The Exorcist (wouldn't make my list of all time scariest movies, but at that age it scared the you know what out of me) and my mom said I could watch it and I was stoked. I watched it and after a rather sleepless night I woke up to the realization that I loved that feeling! I wanted more. So do get on topic a bit, I consider myself a horror fan, but to some I might not seem to be. I don't know all the trivia and I probably missed out on some great films that only diehard horror fans know of, but I love a good scary film. Is there a place for me to comment on the genre? I hope so.

By the way, I love TCM and I won't be seeing the remake the little kid in me that talked my dad into letting me rent the original forbids it. smile

slayer
I love horror movies they're practicly all i watch at school i have a horror hotline.

xblanex
Horror hotline? what is that?

Evil Dead
Chico.........nobody that I know would call you a moron for lack of horror knowledge or not seeing alot of horror films.

We were talking about kids who have only seen new/mainstream movies like Scream, I Know What You Did Last Summer, Valentine, Urban Legend, The Ring, Jeepers Creepers, etc. acting like they are horror buffs and are really into horror films. Those people are morons.

DeNiro
agreed evil dead chico is with out a doubt no where close to being considered a moron he is a very knowledgable horror fan i am betting and yes the ones u see the first r the ones u will always remember and like the most like u said with excorsits and etc

pablo007
I don't consider myself as a horror expert, more of a horror fan but I've seen the basic movies and that's pretty big considering it's hard to get horror movies here, from the list you published I've seen:
A Nightmare on Elm Street

The Evil Dead and the Evil Dead 2

Dawn of the Dead
Day of the Dead

The Shining
Carrie
Phantasm 4
28 Days Later
The Amityville Horror
The Omen and it's first two sequels parts 2+3
The Thing

Jaws

Return of the Living Dead
Critters 1 and 2 (they kinda sucked)

Se7en
Phantoms
Wishmaster

chico23
I think its sad that today's television doesn't give the kids the resourses to see good quality horror like they did when I was growing up. All the stations like TNT, USA, Showtime, even HBO dont give you enough horror from the past. I know some horror movies just can't be seen on regular cable, but it seems even the pay channels only really show good horror (although limited) around Halloween. When I was younger I could watch great horror all the time. Recently, IFC had a horror movie documentry that was awesome and even a documentry on Dario Argento, but I was thinking that might open the door for some great independent horror flicks.....no dice. Maybe I'm missing it but does anyone see Dawn of the Dead, Evil Dead, TCM, ect. on pay channels? I have tapes from when I was young where I would tape the a whole Living Dead marathon, I never see anything like that anymore. I think if their was there might be even more real horror fans out there. just my thoughts....sorry for the long ramble.

ragesRemorse
kids today have been desensitized. They will never appreciate the classics like we do. The movies they call B horror movies are infact the best and most original movies that started it all.

Things that werent allowed in the 70's or 80's, or those rare, raw, horrorific scenes that have been embeded in our memory, are eigther rampant or non existent in modern horror movies. Today movie makers take those single ,vulgar ,graphic horror scenes and base entire movies around them. leaving out a frightening plot. Whereas in the past these great ,ground breaking horror scenes were just a single ingrediant that made the entree all that more delicous.

So is it lack of original story, lack of risk taking vulgarity? or is it lack of people behind the curtain, who are like us. they love horror movies, they wanna see more horror, they wanna entertain us because they are us? IT is everything a mixture of all. I believe we already have the greatest potential that horror has to offer .in our horror classics. We will only see more of scream and i know what you did last summer. There may be some greats here and there, but the best has already come. We will never witness a decade that produces good horror movie after horror movie like the 70's and 80's

chico
Alot of the failure of today's horror movies can also be attributed to the studio executives. For instance, look at George Romero this genius can't get no love with the studios. We were talking about great horror directors last night and it made me think that Romero had a movie coming out about vampires or a vampire like plague (my details are sketchy) think it was called "The Ill" so I went to see the website I had bookmarked about it and it was down. After looking around the web awhile I found out that it was being nixed (rumor has it for creative differences between Romero and the studio). Why can't they just let this man make HIS movie. He has a great following and the talent to make great horror movies. Sorry guys I'm just a little miffed by the whole thing I was looking foward to it. I guess i still have hope in the Dusk of the Dead/Land of the Dead movie I been hearing about. I heard he was getting 15+ million from Miramax ( a studio that is at least more willing than most to let filmmakers create) for the next installment. *crosses fingers*

Once again sorry to swing off topic just had to get that off my chest. smile

ragesRemorse
that is a good point chico. I do believe alot of the bad horror is contributed to studios. This is because there so greedy and theyll only bank on movies that appeal to modern hype. Instead of taking a risk on original idea;s

However I dont see a big reason of why horror movies suck due to lack of trust in certain directors. I mean look at wes craven. He gets movies made based on his name. I believe if Romero was determined enough he could find a studio that would invest a hefty budget on his name alone. I think romeros troubles lately are due to miss communications, and time constraints. atleast this is what i assume after interview's in fangora. I highly doubt romero or any other known horror director would have trouble finding a studio to fund a project. studio's are about credibility and potential to make money. Romero has this. this is why alot of horror movies get made.

chico
yeah I'm sure its not all one sides mass conspiracy to destroy horror I just get mad when I see them scrap a movie with alot of potential.

slayer
yeah in my opinion Romero is 1 of the best directors eva and 2 not let him do a movie that'll make them millions of dollars i mean thats just plain stupid!

tabby999
i dunno, i really dont consider myself a buff on horror, actually, for a while i didn't give a shit about horror. but my mate showd me the TCM origional a while ago, and it opened my eyes. now i love it, particularly Jason from the Friday... series but really, i must say, the flock of horror fans that i've encountered cos of the new TCM and Freddie Vs. Jason is shitting me. i meen wanna be horror buffs.

BackFire
Yeah, I enjoy encountering them and destroying their confidence by showing them how ignorant they truley are about the horror genre.

SaTsuJiN
the new tcm has inspired horror buff wanabees? thats just disgusting lol. At least fall all over a movie thats actually worth worshipping. And freddy vs jason... ugh.. it was cool to watch but again, not worship material

Espantada20
Sex Sex Sex Horror Horror Horror

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.