You ate what?!!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

mechmoggy
Went to Wigan this week on business and stopped on the way for a "barn cake" (which is a northern sandwich of some bap like description). On said sandwich I opted for bacon, egg and black pudding.

Got to thinking after that about some of you non-brits and whether or not you lot have tried black pudding at all - or even if you've got anything else tasty but of a gross description.

So if you don't know - black pudding is a sausage shaped mixture of dried pigs blood and fat. Mmmmm sound tasty! (but really is nice - honest)

R.C
I love fried blackpudding, but it's not very good for the heart, weight, etc.

Dim
Wow, you're right..that does sound really disgusting..and not very healthy either..ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwweee!!!!

R.C
Yeah, it's right up there with chocolate and coconut cakes and chilli dogs...

mah
we have that in norway, allthough I don't like it one bit.

Dim
Excuse me..but until that stuff is made with pigs BLOOD and FAT they're nothing alike!!

Tell him mah..See!!! mah doesn't like it either..

R.C
Chilli dogs have some blood in them I bet, and Chocolate & Coconut cake is full of fat!!!stick out tongue

Edna Witch
Sorry RC I'm with Dim on this one! And black pudding? Yuk! Nothing is more disgsting than that! I mean coagulated blood! Do you have any idea how awful that stuff smells before it is cooked?

R.C
Yep, I do feel I should point out that I felt the same way until about 2 years ago when I git served some by mistake in a greasy spoon and decided to try it.

It's not one of those things that I would eat very often but it is nice, once in a while.

Texas
I will never look at pudding the same way again. Before reading this post I associated pudding with Bill Cosby and J-E-L-L-O, now all I think of is pig blood and fatsad Ewwwwww, that is so nasty. It's actually pig blood and fat?, Uhhhhhh!!!!! Chocolate and coconut cakes are things you see in your nice dreams, black pudding is something that belongs in a Bjork video!laughing out loud

Dim
Okay..can we PLEASE talk about something else...everytime I think of this stuff it makes my stomach churn...

Texas
I don't mean to sound off like a smart ass, but the topic is 'You ate what?!!', where presumedly we're allowed and suppose to discuss disgusting black pudding.

Ratcat
MAybe we should have KJ tell you about Haggis....

queeq
Mmmmmmmm, haggis. Yummy. Send me some.

Ratcat
Eugh... Offel in a pigs gut, or something like that...

queeq
Sheep stomach. If they still use it. More often it's plastic these days.

What's offel?

The best haggis I had so far was from a little butcher's in Fort Augustus. Yummy!!!!

Ratcat
Oh yeah, pigs gut is sausages.

Offel, that's all the bits of the carcus that you would normally not eat...

mechmoggy
Had Haggis when I was in Scotland, very nice too. But RC's right it's another one of those food-stuffs they really shouldn't give ingredients on.

phinney6
I have had no really gross food.

Ratcat
Aww man, you haven't lived!

mechmoggy
My grandad loved pigs trotters! eeeeeeeuuwwww, just think what they tread in. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Supa
Anyone tried whale? My ex once tried to convince me that whale was delicious, and to protect my image I said "ok, lemme have a taste then".. He ran to the kitchen and sliced off a bit of a whale steak that had JUST been put in the pan.. Popped it into my mouth.. YEEERRRCCCHHHH! It was cold and raw and full of soy oil!! *shivers uncontrollably* I spit it out and let the dog have it..

But properly done whale steak is supposed to be real good, my husband insists upon it.. Oh well, I like snails and frog legs anyway!

finti
you dont like whale meat, but you eat snail, yummy. Barf bags pelase.
Black pudding is actually called blood pudding in Norway, I hate it but Monika fries it and have sugar ????on it. Give me a pizza anytime

Supa
yeah, I know.. you have that, and blood sausage.. yech. And smalahove.. and lutefisk.. (goat head and lye-treated fish) The list goes on and on!

Pizza... mmm... *drool*

Time for lunch here!

KDawg
Some nachos or a big slice of summer sausage sounds good right now. big grin

RED DRAGON
Has anyone ever tried cow's tongue? (no rude jokes please wink) Apparently it's cow's tongue ripped out and then pressed and sliced confused
It is GROSS eek!

Supa
I've tried tongue, yes, but I'm not sure if it's cow or what.. Regular thing to make at home for christmas in Norway

Ratcat
I'm with Finti on this one, give me a pizza any day of the week over some of the stuff that has been mentioned here.

Jellied Eels anyone?

Supa
No thanks, but smoked eel is gooooood!

queeq
Or chilled monkey brains? My fav. wink

KDawg
Oh gross!! ::Barfs::

Ratcat
Chilled monkey brains... eek! eek! eek!

And they say the brits have some strange foods

mechmoggy
That chilled monkey brain thing is from St.Kitts isn't it?

I've got a mucker that comes from there and he says the worst insult to say to someone from there is to call them a "small island - monkey eater". (Apparently)

I've heard that our local Safeway is stocking EMU and Crocodile soon - I've just gotta try that! (I'll have a crocodile sandwich and make it snappy) big grin

KDawg
I'd say the wierdest think I've ever eaten would be Osterich Jerky or maybe the Wild Boar.

Ratcat
Asda used to stock Kangaroo steaks, but they don't any more..

Supa
Ostrich filet and crocodile filet both taste delicious! I have tried bothsmile

Ratcat
Real Sharks Fun soup. that's tasty.

Supa
Fun soup? I gotta have me some of that!

Ratcat
Yes, it's only made from Sharks with a good temperament.

Sorry, meant Sharks Fin Soup...

Supa
Nurse sharks then?

Edna Witch
Nope but I've eaten Wildebeast, Kudu, Zebra, Ostrich and Crocodile. Some of them wern't too mad either in a horrible nasty meat tasting kind of way!

Texas
Crocodile? Isn't that illegal?

KDawg
Crocidille meat is not illegal. I went to Virginia City one day and had me some Crocs'.

Texas
Really? I thought they were protected. So how do they taste?...like chicken I bet. They make great wallets, too bad they start at $600.

Dim
Now think about that Tex..if they were protected would you be able to get a wallet made from them?

I saw where they ate boiled buffalo testicles on Fear Factor a couple of weeks back..ick. I've heard of Rocky Mountain Oysters..but that is just gross.

Texas
Just because something is illegal, doesn't necessarily mean you cannot purchase it. Theres little shops around town where you can buy almost anything, many of them illegal. I saw that Fear Factor episode, it was disgusting, the testicles were all juicy....Yuk, I love that show evil face

Ratcat
If a species is protected then you normally can't get products made from them, even from those that dies of natural causes...

finti
I would love a fur hat made from a Panda Bear. evil face

Ratcat
Ok, ya not winning any friends here... sad

KDawg
The Croc meat did taste a lot like chicken.

queeq
It does. But leaner, I think. It tastes GREAT!

mechmoggy
I'll eat almost anything, but I draw the line at nibbling on another creatures nads. eek!

Supa
Crocodile tastes.. well.. chickenish, but the meat is more fishy in substance. and a bit greasy, like frog legs. It is very nice with a lemon sauce! or chili...

queeq
Looks like I'm having dinner with Supa tonight. big grin

Edna Witch
Yep croc tastes mostly of chicken but a fishy texture. It's really fatty too. Not really very pleasant to eat at all!

Supa
not for a witch perhaps? I guess you would use croc for other things big grin

queeq
I think Edna prefers boiled bat wings.

Edna Witch
Actually I would prefer a few toadstools!

queeq
Ah yes. No frog eyes in gelatine then?

Edna Witch
Ooh I'll have the jelly! Raspberry flavour preferably but hold the frogs eyes!

queeq
No frog eyes???!!! Some witch...

Ratcat
Ok, queeq says leaner, Edna says Fatty, does it depend on the croc???

Edna Witch
Maybe it depends on how it was prepared. But all the croc I ate in africa was very fatty. Nasty horrible chewy yucky stuff too!

phinney6
gross

Supa
I wouldn't say very fatty. it's just.. a bit.. hmmm. It has sort of a sheen to it. Not fat like pork chops rinds!

Ratcat
Hmmmmm, park chop rinds...

Supa
park? I didn't know they served park these days? how much an acre?

big grin

Zereil
I've had armadillo when in Trinidad, its kind of like tough chicken with shell, now the shell you have a choice of eating it soft just the underside or crunchy has to be cooked for ages apparently...

queeq
I had croc in Africa too. And I thought it was fairly lean, not the way it was made, but the meat itself. It's that or we have VERY VERY greasy chicken over here. laughing out loud

Zereil
maybe they have genetically evolved to be like that, actually it would b cool if they fiddled with DNA and generated a whole range of pre-battered or breadcrumbed species, or have chickens which automatically gnerate a garlic sauce from their feed and on death self molt so loose all feathers and mysteriously self baste... smile

mechmoggy
Now your twisting my melon. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Zereil
I dont know I think it has potential...

queeq
Oh definately.

Zereil
see see Queeq's got the idea, the man is clearly a genius...

Texas
Clearly a mad, diabolical genius. smokin'

Zereil
ah yes, I wondered why we got on so well...

Texas
two peas in a pod

Ratcat
Am I like the only person who hasn't been to Africa???

Ushgarak
No worries, RC. Obviously enough, I haven;t been there either. Edna thinks me terribly unadventerous.

LanceWindu
I haven't been to Africa either...actually I've never been out of America. I've only been to the ocean once.

Texas
Lance, nothing wrong with never being out of America. Your in the greatest country in the world, might as well stay put, right? wink Haven't been to Africa yet, maybe after college.

Zereil
well I've seen a lot of the world given my fathers profession and its always great as each culture offers so much more that can be learnt from.

Africa can be fun but it is better in certain places to know someone. Thankfully I did and man then you can see the sites...

Ratcat
*Feels Better.* smile

queeq
This is where we're supposed to ask his father's profession.... okay, here goes:

What's your father's profession, Z?

Ratcat
I seem to remember Zeriel telling us he was an Army Brat or something like that.

queeq
Ah, befehl ist befehl!!!

Ratcat
Absolutely!

queeq
Pretty sad really. But it does explain quite a few things. wink

Zereil
atually in no way am I an rmy brat, wrong person, My Dad is the head of Personnel at P&O and my mother is a mnager of district nurses in Essex...hope this answered your question...I really should stop assuming people kno stuff about me....

Edna Witch
Ooh Africa! I love Africa. Now that brings back memories of some of the best holidays I ever had. Particularly a trip that my father and I took in Zimbabwe, Zambia and Botswana. Never had so much fun in my life!

queeq
I only saw Kenya and Egypt.

Edna Witch
We went to Morocco oo when I wasyounger and that was unreal! And everyone was so friendly! I remember some guy trying to buy me when we went to the market. Apparently they have a thing for little girls with long hair. I was only ten and totally freaked as I had no idea what he was on about!

Ratcat
Oh, sorry Z, must have been someone else.

mechmoggy
I give you three camels for the witch eh? big grin

Dim
We only take chocolate payment, sir. big grin

queeq
And it's Ush you pay. big grin

phinney6
pay me pay me

queeq
Edna's not yours. What do YOU have for sale then?

mechmoggy
What about it Mr. Ush sir, I give you three strong camels for the little lady. Eh? I don't know - these outlanders, they come to my store and don't sell me there weeemen. rolling on floor laughing

Ratcat
This is definately going to a bad place...

Supa
Three strong camels.. isn't that an insult? a friend of mine had a bid of many more than that when she was abroad as a pre-teen...(her father still jokes about taking the offer and living as a camel cowboy)

queeq
Ah yes, pre-teen is much more expensive. Chances to buying a virgin are much better at that age.

mechmoggy
A shock insight into the queeqers real job maybe?

The baddest Chaos pimp on the net. eek!

Dim
I know...I'm starting to be a little afraid of queeq.

eek! Hey, wait a minute...?? Maybe that's where Gun's gone to...

HE SOLD GUNDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDY!!!!!!!!! eek! eek! eek!

queeq
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I did not SELL her..... I put her up for rent. evil face

Edna Witch
Ypou put Gundy up for rent? How could you? She's far too good to be rented!

mechmoggy
Lease purchase maybe but rent.... wink

Dim
Oh, I bet queeq's gonna get smacked around a bit as soon as Gun gets free. rolling on floor laughing

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.