Most boring sports

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Hater
1)hockey
2)baseball

i dont consider these sports,but if they are,zzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

1)golf
1)nascar

both deserve to be #1

N.Tonks
I like golf and hockey...

slayer
I'm not much of a sport fan but i'd say ummmmmm......... that thing where thetennis raquet has a string with a ball tied on it whatever that 1 is. Gee that sucks!

h0ck3yh0rr0r
Darth Hater just says hockey cuz he's gonna get his ass kicked if he plays. geez man. Hockey is one of the best sports. Soo fun. Real tough sport. Gotta be fast and smart.

slayer
yeah Hockeys pretty cool.

Captain REX
Same here...

Hmm...I'm not really that discrimative to sports. I play soccer myself (I've been bashed for that too...).

slayer
I used 2 play basketball and i play teeball now I would Play more it's just i have something on like everyday of the week except Friday so....yeah. But if horror movies is counted as a sport then i do alot of that.

Darth Hater
auwwww,did somebody get offended?

please,grown men on skates? laughing

i bet u anything i'd kick your ass...but anyway

hockey is mad boring

the friggin games always end in a tie(how wack is that!!)

and when they don't,its like 2-1

whats so fun about watching grown men skate back and forth for an hour and then have no winner

until they get rid of the whole tying thing,hockey will always suck

and whats up with the records????

1-4-3-6-2-7-3-6-3-6

goals

YAWN

Darth Hater
smart?

how smart do you have to be to hit a puck across the rink and let it go everywhere

if they were smart,you'd think they'd be able to score more goals

Darth Hater
and soccer too

watchin men play footsies for an hour isnt entertaining

BTW,i mean the most boring sports to watch,not participate in

i've played soccer and baseball and they're both fun to be apart of but as far as watching them

that's another story

Captain REX
Dude, shut the hell up and stop dissin hockey. I've had a friend lose a finger because of hockey. mad And you have to know where to place it and at the right time, smartwise. And grown men on skates? If you want to get bored of watching grown men break each others' jaws while on skates, you should watch the artistic skating...

Captain REX
And I knocked the wind out of three people today playing soccer, one of them twice. And I nearly broke my goddam toe.

Darth Hater
ROFL laughing

what a wuss

smart because u have to know where to place it at the right time?

they're geniuses roll eyes (sarcastic)

Captain REX
Let's see you play hockey, huh? I bet you'd be a real pro. roll eyes (sarcastic)

And you callin my friend a wuss for getting the goddam wind knock out of him, and then losing a finger? F*** off!

Darth Hater
drink some milk sissy

please,my neice got the wind knocked out of her when she played soccer too

u two are really tough laughing

Captain REX
*looks at Darth Hater's username*

Go figure... roll eyes (sarcastic)

Darth Hater
ok nancy kerigan,come over here and lets play hockey if u want to

and yes,your friend's a pussy

Darth Hater
good one roll eyes (sarcastic)

Captain REX
*remembers that I'm a mod*

Yep...

*copies link to thread and reports Hater*

Yep, it was a good one. I think that was way better though. stick out tongue

Darth Hater
laughing laughing

i'm tellin mommy!!!!!!

Darth Hater
btw,what did u report me for

stating my opinion??

good one man

Captain REX
Nope, for being an *******.

And no, I'm a mod, so I report you so the other mods can voice their opinions before you be banned or yelled at. And I'm a mod, but not of the OTF, so I can't just do it myself.

Darth Hater
good then

i reported u too for telling me to "f" off

and i also reported u for something else,but i'll let u find out when ur yelled at laughing

so if i get yelled at,so should you

so laughing

N.Tonks
laughing out loud

Darth Hater
i reported him for that too

N.Tonks
I don't think Rex will get in trouble cause he didn't actually use the "f" word, he just used stars and he's a mod stick out tongue

Darth Hater
actually,he did

when you type out a cuss word,the filter automatically puts those stars there

so there goes your theory

N.Tonks
anyway, we better stop arguing or else this thread will be closed.

N.Tonks
big grin

Darth Hater
i was just stating my opinion and he's the one who got all hurt and angry

Captain REX
Actually, since I'm a mod, I can read your reports.

*reads them*

Pfft, get real, they won't care. And no, I edit the words myself, not the system. If I let the system do it, it would be all stars. I leave a letter.

Darth Hater
1)like your reports will be any better

2)like i care if i get banned,ect

maybe a loser like you cares because you have no life...but KMC doesnt mean that much to me

if i get banned for no reason,then so be it

it wont hurt me

you on the other hand would cry because you're such a loser

and to report me in the first place let me know how much of a loser you are

Captain REX
Pfffffffffffffffffffffffft. Don't care. KMC has no effect on my life either, other than being social!

And my report, being a mod, is simply give them the link to this thread, give your name to show who is being reported, and that's that.

Darth Hater
looooooooooooooseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer

Darth Hater
and

DONT BASH MY OPINIONS

Captain REX
And you don't cliche my avatar. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Geez, Hater, don't get so friggin pissed off. Just because you think losing a finger is nothing doesn't mean me and my friends do.

Darth Hater
of course not rex

did i say that?

no

i didn't

it's just my opinion

you're the one who got pissed " mad "

u made that face^^^^

not me

Captain REX
I had good reason, didn't I? Sorry if I just was in the mood for argument, but it is getting a little out of hand, don't you think?

Darth Hater
i was just kiddin man

same here.i was in an arguing mood

but since we're both star wars fans,lets just shake hands and forget about it

Captain REX
Sounds good to me!

*tries to shake, but accidentally shoves hand through computer screen*

Oops... whistle

Darth Hater
cool man

we friends now?

lol

Captain REX
Yep, in a strange "I met him on the internet" sort of way. wink

Back to the topic then! I think this thread was just asking for an argument anyway... wink whistle

Darth Hater
hey,if u can be social online,u can make friends online

right?

and yea,hockey is boring to watch stick out tongue

Captain REX
Hey, shut the hell up and stop dissin hockey. I had a friend lose a finger...whoa, deja vu! laughing out loud

Indeed, I think that's the point of this thing anyway.

Darth Hater
rex,rex,rex

you're missin'my point

i'm just sayin that it's boring to watch

but that's just my opinion of course

Captain REX
Ah, most sports are boring to watch. Until the skilled players do something cool of course. Needs to happen more... roll eyes (sarcastic)

Darth Hater
the only exciting thing about hockey is the fights

and its supposed to be a game for crying out loud

pretty much says it all

BackFire
Foot Ball, soccer, golf

Hockey is an awesome sport to watch, I'm assuming you've never been to a live game DH, by far the most intense sport to watch live.

Treehuggerjanie
Hockey is awesome to play.I was in a crappy game of it at school cos i was on the team and this girl smacked me round the ankle cos she doesnt like me.You know what i did?
Gave her a nose bleed.Not with my hockey stick,with my fist.i dont normally do that but this girl had been picking on me for weeks.She paid for it though!

Darth Hater
actually,i've been to 6 coyotes games(with my school) and i was so miserable

i had a 100x more fun at a diamondbacks(baseball) game

i'll stick by my opinion....hockey is mad boring

Darth Hater
if i get yelled at for hockey,then i dunno whats gonna happen to backfire about football

i dont like football at all,but its not as boring as hockey or soccer

the only people i've ever met that have liked hockey are 3 chicks

its hilarious because they were all hippies

so i was crackin up when i saw that "treehugger" janie liked hockey laughing

no offense of course

Treehuggerjanie
well i like it.
Golf is soooooooo boring in my opinion.Peeling grapes would be more fun.

BackFire
lol, baseball. Aka watching the grass grow. The only thing that makes baseball tolerable is the food and watching the stupid crowd get into such a boring game.

Hockey at least has some intensity in it. Baseball you're constantly waiting for something to happen, then something happens and you realize that nothing can happen to make the sport entertaining.

I'll throw baseball onto my list of the most boring sports.

Darth Hater
i agree 100%

BackFire
golf is the same basic premise as baseball though.

Swinging a stick to hit a ball.

Darth Hater
i only liked the baseball games better because there are waaaay more hotter chicks there so i had something to look at

i dont find anything entertaining about watching grown men go back and forth on skates and then cant even score a friggin goal!

i'm not alone.hockey is the least watched sport out of all the major sports

i cant wait till after the end of the season when the owners lock out the players and they're forced to shut down the NHL

Treehuggerjanie
And anyway, im a GOTH!did you hear me?A GOTH i tell you! not a f****ng hippie!i dont like sports but when im made to play them,they might as well be violent!
I seriously think that is the worst thing anyone has called me!a bloody hippie,honestly... sad

yerssot
see stick? stick bad! stick out tongue

Darth Hater
THAT'S EXACTLY HOW HOCKEY IS

Treehuggerjanie
yerssle,what you on about hunny?

yerssot
pills, and lots of it smile

Darth Hater
at least in baseball they score more runs...

AND

MOST IMPORTANTLY

THEY DONT END IN A TIE

hockey will always be wack when at the end of the game there is NO winner

that's pathetic

that's the whole purpose of a game!

for one side to win!

BackFire
Of course, the defense of popularity means nothing. Just cuz something isn't popular doesn't make it bad in teh least. If that was the case, then the best movie ever would be titanic.

I forgot to mention basketball, another lame 'spor't...actually...now that I think about it, all sports are pretty boring besides hockey.

Hockey players have the most well rounded athletic ability, and the fact that you said "they can't score a freaking goal" voids your credibility since hockey scores have gone up dramatically over the years. I think it's good that there isn't over scoring in hockey, that's the problem basketball has, there is so much scoring in the game that you don't even care when the team does score, untill the last 3 minutes of the game when it actually matters...and that's only in a close game.

At least in hockey when they score, it's something to get excited about.

Darth Hater
then what's up with the treehugger thing

that's totally hippie

yerssot
it can't be a tie?
that's stupid

Darth Hater
everything u said was so wack i'll just say i TOTALLY disagree

u must live in canada

yerssot
that's kinda strange to say that

Darth Hater
if that was the case yers,there would be no ties

of course there can

i'm just saying that IMO it's stupid to not have a winner

BackFire
actually I live in california. I just don't base my interest's off of popularity. Popularity means nothing to me, since most of what's popular suck, since most people are complete morons.

Treehuggerjanie
the "treehugger" thing,for your information, is meant to be a nice friendly name!
I wasnt gonna call myself something really harsh like gothgal or summat.
I still thik you should apologize.
repeat after me..."i darth hater,apologize to jane for calling her a hippie."

yerssot
well, if it's a tie, in the end they always try to get the last score or what ever so they can win, better I think

Darth Hater
i NEVER said that u have to not like it because everybody else doesnt like it

i'm just saying that it's boring and if it was exciting as you say,more people would watched it

Darth Hater
huh? confused

Darth Hater
ooooo

ok

well,u know what

that would be true if one side would actually win

all that build up...

for nothing

BackFire
since when does a sport being popular mean that it's exciting? I don't follow that flawed logic. Soccer is the most popular sport in the world, but that doesn't mean its teh most exciting. Infact, many people consider it extremely boring, but it's a simple game that anyone can get into and understand, which is probably the reason for it's popularity.

The reason hockey isn't as popular is because of the strange rules that alot of people don't follow. That and it has the least amount of broadcast time of all sports so it cant really get out to the people like the others can.

Many of my friends never liked hockey, then they sat down and watched a game with me and thought it was really entertaining once they understood the rules and the seemingly strange strategies that go with the game.

Darth Hater
btw,treehugger is totally a hippie name

and i said no offense big grin

Darth Hater
hockey sucks IMO

that's all i'm saying

BackFire
And you're wrong.

That's all I'm saying.

Darth Hater
hockey will be shut down soon,so watch as much NHL as u can

Darth Hater
just like you're wrong about basketball

and hockey for that matter

yerssot
and why agian?

Darth Hater
go back and read my posts for MY explanation

why don't you give me your reasons why it's not

badkittykitty
darth darth darth every where I go there you are.........

Darth Hater
is that a bad thing? big grin evil face

LanceWindu
Hockey isn't boring...it's actually very exciting...

Darth Hater
that's cool

i'm not gonna bash you for your opinion

care to explain tho

BackFire
actually I'm 100 percent correct in my critisicm of basketball. I'm actually giving reasons other then, "it's boring and it's not popular, thus it sucks". I'm said why basketball is boring, unlike you who doesn't seem to be able to give any legit reasons other then "it's my opinion."

But since you missed it i guess, here you go again..

Basketballs problem is the over scoring. They score so much that you just stop caring once the score get's into the double digits. I'm not the only person who feels this way...ask around, I'm sure you will find many other people with common sense who feel the same way. I've encountered many myself.

Basketball get's for too much hype for what it is, it's the most repetitive sport there is, at least hockey has fights and big hit's to throw into the mix....what does basketball have, a 3 point shot that rarely will make a difference in a game. I know basketball does have the occasional fights, but they are comical slap fights since the players seem to be such wimps. It's hilarious to see a big man like Shaq slapping people like a little girl. Probably the most entertaining thing associated with basketball.

LanceWindu
What do you mean explain?

Just watch a game!

The action is fast, players get hurt and there tons of fighting.

Darth Hater

yerssot
because I'm too tired big grin

Darth Hater
i think it's sad when that's the only thing that's exciting about the sport

not the game itself,but things that dont even have to do with the game itself

BackFire
Most games don't end in a tie actually.

The reason for it to end in a tie is so they don't reward luck, which is usually what happens when a game goes on for a long time to declare a winner. One team get's lucky and scores after several over times, partly because everyone is exhausted.

BackFire
You should probably start quoting the entire post rather then what helps you're feeble argument.

He also stated the action is fast.

Storm
imo, cycle races are a bit boring messed

LanceWindu
I never said it had to deal with the game itself...although in this case it actually does.

If you pay attention it's either because of rivalries or from somebody making a good play that another player doesn't like.

Just because it takes time away from the game doesn't mean it isn't dealing with it.

Darth Hater
too much scoring?
stupid

they score so much u lose interest
u must have the attention span of a worm

"i'm not he only person who feels this way"
oooooooooh,so look who's being a hypocrite
i thought popularity didnt matter
i thought most people are idiots

yerssot
storm... a bit??? I always try to have work or whatever when the Tour de France is broadcasted cause it's so DULL

Darth Hater
luck?

try skill

BackFire
Most people are, and most people like basketball. But since I only associate with people who aren't complete tools, I think they usually have credibility.

No, I do not have the attention span of a worm, like i said, when they score 100 times in a game, it's hard to keep caring. It's just like 'oh another basket....yippee...'

Storm
I just didn' t want to offend anyone
but you' re right, it' s boring like hell erm

Darth Hater
you should probably stop acting high & mighty

i dont have to do what YOU think

i just wanted to comment about that one part because i was talking about it earlier

BackFire
It's not skill when a team is exhausted and one person gets a generic shot that accidentally goes in the goal.

Tie's are completely just in hockey, it's a foolish reason to dislike a sport.

Darth Hater
you're comical

BackFire
No you don't, but you look silly quoting parts of a post, completely ignoring the parts that hurt your argument. It's a sad way to argue, it's like you don't have anything valid to say about the part you disagree with, so you just ignore it and conentrate on the part that can be twisted into sounding like something that can help you with you're "argument".

Although, you've shown you're argument must be pretty weak, since you resorted to saying "you have the attention span of a worm".

What a retarded statement.

BackFire
yeah, I'm known to be a pretty funny.

Although that doesn't change the fact that basketball is inferior to hockey in every way.

Darth Hater
fine baby,i'll comment on it

so its fast?

nascar races are fast and they bore the hell out of me

that better?

LanceWindu
How is Nascar boring?

Darth Hater
so are your arguments

BackFire
He didn't mean fast as in speed obviously, I guess you didn't catch that.

He meant there's always action on the ice, not big lulls of nothing happening.

Darth Hater
what's there to explain?

they go round and round and its gets tiring

like yippie,another lap!

Darth Hater
and that's not in basketball?

constant action?

BackFire
Oh my, what a come back. Beautiful elementary school mentality right there.....

"you're argument is not valid, you aren't giving valid reasons for disliking hockey other then 'its not popular and there are ties'"

"NO YOU'RE ARGUMENT IS STUPID!!!!!!"

At least I'm giving reasons to my arguments, not just taking peoples posts, quoting parts of them that don't hinder you're argument, ignoring the parts that do, and then giving a simple "you are too" retort.

Wow, absolutely breathtaking, were you on the debate team at your school?

BackFire
Not what I'd call action, more or less just running and shooting baskets over and over again.

Like I said, too much scoring.

LanceWindu
Obviously you don't respect what these men and women do for a living...have you ver tried to keep a car that's going 120 mph under control while taking turns and being bumper to bumper with another fast car?

That's a recipe for disaster.

Darth Hater
and skating back and forth,up and down is any different???

like i said, too little scoring

Darth Hater
explain why hockey is so great then backfire

BackFire
well, there's also checks, fights, hitting, shooting. Not just skating

The only other thing that's in basketball is just players waving their arms in the air trying to block a meaningless basket.

And again, the lower amount of scoring in hockey means that when a team actually does score, it's worthy to get excited over. In basketball, another basket is just another time to go take a piss.

LanceWindu
I whole heartedly agree with you here Chris.

yerssot
yeah, you got a point BF, with the low scores being something good smile

BackFire
The thing that makes hockey so cool is that theirs so much variety in the games. Their is the perfect amount of scoring ( so it matters and is exciting when they actually do score). There is always the possibility of a fight breaking out, which is the most exciting thing that can happen in a sport. Theres big hits happening all over the place, checks, trash talking. And alot of interesting strategies to recognize, should you take the time to follow and understand them.

Diversity and variety is what I love about hockey.

LanceWindu
It gives the game meaning when scores actually take a while to get, meaning you have to actually work hard at what you do.

Cosmic
Well, don't flame me for not reading all of the posts, but I think the most boring sport in the world has to be power-walking.
I mean, what little kid says to their parents: 'Mum, Dad, I want to be a power-walker when I grow up!'?
Walking for pleasure, in pleasant country lanes etc, is fair enough, I enjoy that. But walking quickly for a race is just silly, you might as well be running.
Hope I haven't offended any power-walkers here!

Cosmic

yerssot
never heard of itmessed

BackFire
Sure is taking you a long time to respond hater....

Must be having trouble trying to figure out which part of it to quote, and which part to conviniently leave out.

Treehuggerjanie
just so everyone knows,im a goth,not a hippy. My name is simply a friendly name,and not connected to hippiness in anyway.Mesa thinks hippies are weird,and when darth apologizes i will talk to him again.God this is fun! big grin

Darth Hater
OK,you wanna get high and mighty on me and practically say I'm stupid and can't debate or explain my reasons for not liking ice hockey,well I'll just have to stop being "retarted".

I'll write an essay for you.How about that.

Why ice hockey is boring to me by Darth hater:
I think there are two things that, when they do not go well, work against hockey for me; and I think that in other sports these same things can operate during any particular contest to make that particular game be boring. The two things are: (1) whether something meaningful is likely to happen at any given moment during the contest, and (2) whether the contest gets decided long before it is over or not. In some sports, or in any sport during some games, aspect (1) also determines aspect (2) because of the nature of the game. Sports like ice hockey are so difficult to score in for numerous reasons, that there are few moments where a team has a reasonable chance to score, even though the defense does not have to be spectacular to prevent it because the nature of the game itself makes scoring so difficult. It is not that the defense has to be especially noticeable as it is in football or in a great pitching and fielding game in baseball, in order to prevent scoring. It is that the offense must be spectacular (and, often, lucky) in ice hockey,in order to score at all. And because of that, if a team can get ahead early in the game by more than two goals, it makes it so difficult for the other team to win (except in one case I will discuss below) that it tends to put the game out of reach early and determine the outcome.

In any possible sport, if we consider relatively equal opponents, there is some ratio or typical balance of offense to defense in the sense that opponents will each score some percentage of the time they have an opportunity. There is some sense of how easy it is to score versus how easy it is to prevent scoring. In offensive sports, there will be more scoring by both sides because in those games scoring is easier than preventing scoring. In defensive sports, scoring is very difficult and it is much easier to prevent scoring than to score. In sports or games in which defense is almost totally dominant, scores are almost always low, and they are sometimes boring sports or games for the same reason as are those games where both offenses score virtually at will and there is very little effective defense.

It seems to me that what makes a sport or a given contest exciting is that at any given time something significant can happen, whether that is a score or the prevention of a score, and that the outcome is in doubt pretty much throughout the contest. There are some sports and some contests where at least one of those things does not happen, and I think those are the contests which then are boring, even if other games or match-ups in that sport are usually interesting. When a sport tends to have most of its contests be like that, it is not an interesting sport to me. This is true whether it is a high scoring, offensive sport or a low scoring defensive sport.

Consider the case of Dean Smith's invention of the "four corners offense" in college basketball. When there turned out to be virtually no apparent defense for it, the NCAA had to outlaw it because it made basketball boring because it almost totally prevented scoring. It made the game almost totally defensive in nature for most of the time and it meant that most of the games' winners were essentially determined early. What Smith did was to have good players who could mount an early lead in a basketball game, and who then were especially good at playing "keep away" with the basketball by spreading out into the four corners of the floor and doing whatever was necessary just to keep dribbling and passing the ball among each other without taking any (risky) shots at all. Once Smith's North Carolina team got ahead in a particular basketball game, the game was essentially over. It fit the rules of basketball but didn't seem to be basketball. And my argument for why it was not exciting for anyone but Carolina fans was that games were decided early and that there was almost no opportunity for anything meaningful to happen scoring-wise once the four corners was put into operation during a game.

It is my contention that games are exciting for the average impartial fan in, and only in, proportion to the amount of time there is during the contest where, apart from spectacular individual plays of the sort that make highlight films, something meaningful to its outcome is likely to happen. That means that a meaningful offensive or defensive play is likely to occur. In games where the offense (or the team on offense) pretty much scores at will or where the offense almost never scores, that is not going to happen. It is not important that something significant happens on each play, but that there is a probability of its happening that is within the viewer's patience zone. And it means that any such scoring play or defensive stop is significant in some way to the outcome of the game, but not so significant that just one or two plays likely determine the outcome of the game by putting it out of reach for the other team. Power plays in hockey are exciting moments in those sports because they are the moments where a score, or a spectacular defensive play, are so much more likely to occur.

But during the normal course of play, hockey games I have watched without having a partial interest in one of the teams seem to me not to have sufficient individual plays to make them interesting, nor sufficient realistic scoring opportunities to make them interesting. Moreover, although occasionally in hockey a score is the result of superior strategy, teamwork, or skill, the difference between scoring a goal and just missing one or having one blocked is more a matter of luck than skill. In hockey in particular, it is not clear why some shots slip through and others miss, other than luck. Yet because goals are so scarce in hockey, a luck shot can determine the outcome of the game and it can dictate the style of play. Moreover, once an offensively weak team is behind by two or three goals, the game's outcome is pretty much determined because in hockey as in four-corners basketball, there are not enough realistic scoring opportunities left in the game. Similarly in a relatively strong offensive, high scoring sport, a game can get out of hand early if a stronger team gets ahead because there is not sufficient realistic opportunity to limit their continued offensive output later to catch up with them.

American football seems to recognize the need for reasonable proportional chances to make significant scores or stops of scoring. When outside factors, such as kicking strength improvements, change the scoring balance significantly, the leagues affected will change the rules between seasons in order to restore the balance. Once kickers could kick the ball on kick-offs past the endzone or could make field goals from too many different field positions, kick-off lines were moved back to allow greater possibility of runbacks, and goal posts were moved back, and the spot for giving possession to the defensive team for missed field goals was changed in order to put more risk in trying to kick longer field goals and to make it harder to kick them successfully.

Contemporary tennis is faced with the problem that composite racquets allow players far more power and control on their serves, so that some players on some court surfaces have such an advantage that the serve is about all that is left to the contest. A match may come down simply to whose serve was better on that day, and that is not nearly as interesting as watching a match where there is more to playing and more to winning than just how many dominating or unreturnable serves were hit. It is only great to watch good serve and volley tennis when that is a feat, not when it is the norm because of technological progress in equipment. So some tournaments last year have required use of a larger, slower ball in order to give more opportunity for a controlled return of serve in those situations.

When a baseball pitcher one year invented a move that allowed him to pretty much pick off first base runners at will who took any sort of reasonable lead, the balk rule was changed during the following winter, in order to allow base runners once again to have a chance of stealing second or of going to third on a single. One of the amazing things about some sports, such as baseball, is that the increased fitness of players over the years, unlike in football, has resulted in very little change in the proportion of overall offense and defense. The size of the diamond has not had to be changed in order to keep offense or defense from dominating. As offensive skills have improved, so have defensive skills. And while there may be more home runs hit these days than there were prior to 1930, home runs are still both rare enough that they are a surprise and a feat and common enough that one or two during a game may not put that game out of reach.

The problem, to me, with hockey is that there is not likely to be much scoring and if some scoring does occur early, it tends to determine the game too soon. In the same way, but from the opposite direction, the problem with some basketball games is that there is so little defense that a few missed baskets tend to determine the outcome of the game. What I want is for games to give the team that is behind a realistic opportunity still to win. And I want offensive and defensive ability to count for more than just luck in determining whether a score is made or prevented...

BackFire
Yes, you straightened that out Janie smile We know you're goth

clavis9495
I hate hockey (sorry hockeyhorror) but I do like Ice-hockey...
I think NyC-gurl will know what I mean with this

Sir R DeNiro
Pocket bliliards gets boring after a while.

Treehuggerjanie
Thanks backfire.*hugs*
Well done darth,that is a pretty decent essay you got there.Forgiven obviously.
*hugs darth* mesa was only kidding anyway!xxxxxx

Darth Hater
There is one situation, even in low scoring sports where the defense essentially dominates or in high scoring sports where the offense essentially dominates, that allow individual contests or matches to be exciting to impartial fans. Those are particular games or series of games (e.g., best three out of five, or best four of seven) in which one team is (considered to be) much stronger than the other, but the far weaker team (the team least expected to win) gets ahead early and has to hold off what is thought to be the superior team. The suspense is in whether the superior team will "wake up" in time to win or whether if they step up their game, the winning weaker team will be able to withstand the onslaught. Insofar as one team is far stronger or has been more dominant than another, the stronger team can get relatively far behind and still be considered to have a chance to win the game or the series. That is not the case in match-ups between teams of equal ability or in match-ups where the stronger team gets ahead early, particularly in those sports that do not tend to allow much momentum shifts. While a stronger team with a large lead might still lose, the odds are so against it that there is no real sense of anticipation or suspense; thus there is little excitement. Momentum shifts tend only to occur in sports where the ease of scoring and the ease of preventing scoring are sufficiently balanced. And low scoring, defensive sports or high scoring, offensive sports, do not tend to allow that in general.

If my theory is correct, and if many people who do not find hockey interesting are like me, it would follow that we would be more interested in hockey if scoring were sufficiently easier that any game which is, say 4 - 1, early, is not thereby virtually over. If most ice hockey games needed something like 12 or 15 goals to win, and if the rinks or nets were larger, or if there were fewer players just "clogging up" scoring lanes, or if rules were changed to allow scoring to have a higher probability than it does now, we should then find the sport more exciting. That, of course, is not something for the purist, nor would it be the same sport in terms of history and tradition. But if the idea is to promote fan interest in a sport something like hockey,something of that sort might be both necessary and sufficient, if I am correct.

Man,I'm too tired to finish.

That's enough typing for me

Treehuggerjanie
Guess your stressed with me darth eh?

LanceWindu
Looks like Copy and Paste to me...

Darth Hater
auwww,you're so sweet janie

and i really am sorry for calling u a hippie

thanks for forgiving me big grin

but really,that is nice of you not to get mad at me

BackFire
Wow, that changing what people say is effective, I see why you do it.

badkittykitty
wow thats a whole lot of stuff there

Darth Hater
I don't care if you don't believe me Lance.

Darth Hater
Very mature BackFire laughing out loud

LanceWindu
I don't.

Darth Hater
Well good for you buddy

clavis9495
wow that's big
(2hours later) >>>>> I've read it all!!! YaY

Darth Hater
by the way

cycyling is really boring

LanceWindu
THANKS!

Darth Hater
welcome big grin

Darth Hater
That's enough arguing for me.I'm heading to bed.

Goodnight all.

LanceWindu
* sarcasm *

clavis9495
I cycle to school every day it takes me a Freakin hour to get there miffed

Treehuggerjanie
nitey nite darth.xxx

Ushgarak
Hey, you guys do realise that Treehugger was talking about field hockey whilst the rest of you meant ice hockey, yeah?

Treehuggerjanie
Thankyou ush!*hugs ush loads* hello!
how are you?xx
i was talking bout field hockey cos i dont kno anyone who plays ice hockey in England.You guys didnt know?!?teeheehee!

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>