No more Concorde

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

CandyKoRn
I think this sucks...

How else would you get to New York from London in 3 hrs.. lol..

Anyone else think this sucks? or think it's for the best? (Damn you)

yerssot
nope, don't mind it

from what I heard, not many took those flights anyway

G.P
I do. 'cos I think this was one of the greatest things France could pride itself on.

Plus I would have liked to fly on it one day... sad

*cries*http://www.killermovies.com/forums/images/moresmilies/cry.gif

yerssot
become a millionaire, buy one and fly it as much as you want smile

LilySatine
Awww, there there G.P sad

It doesn't really affect me, but I would have liked to have flown on it one day.

burlyman
sadsad

yeah it really sucks.

And this all started with one damn crash. Damnit!

Tex
Its not so much the crash as it is the economy. Not many people can afford to spend $10,000 on a plane ticket.

Besides, the Concorde's sonic boom scares fish in the ocean, so atleast they'll be happy! stick out tongue

yeah i know that the concorde wasn't very practical for most people(cause most can't afford it) but i think the crash set in motion/gave a reason for an investigation of the pros and cons of concords.

Tex
Not really, Concorde was suffering before the Paris crash, 9/11, the aging fleet, technological innovations in teleconferencing and rising fuel costs were the final axe.

Captain REX
Indeed. Still, they were cool planes. Not everyday that you see a plane that can go faster than the speed of sound.

yerssot
batman could wink

Captain REX
roll eyes (sarcastic)

yerssot
jimminy jelocars batrex!
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/images/moresmilies/batman.gif

Tex
Twice the speed of sound raver

blakangel
why did british airways have to finish concorde and why didn't our government intervene.... but to be honest Im not that bothered.

There was alot of people who think one thing that was important to Britain has gone...and I saw people who were actually to upset to watch the news because of it.

Strange people. But I guess it's ashame it has gone; it was supposed to last for at least another 5 years perhaps even longer.

Tex
Richard Branson wanted to buy 1 plane and continue to fly it, by BA and AF refused to sell.

Ushgarak
Virgin's offer was irrelevant- Airbus, who make the parts, are withdrawing Concorde's flight license, which is why BA ceased flights. No matter who owned the plane it wouldn't be able to fly commercially any more.

Tex
Could it havr flown privately chartered?

blakangel
thats why the government should have intervened sad

Ushgarak
The government cannot intervene in Airbus' operations. It's not even a British company.

Private charter or otherwise, Concorde cannot fly without engineering. If Airbus says it doesn't fly, it doesn't fly!

Tex
I guess the Concorde was a huge failure in every regard.

During the oil boom of the late 70s and early 80s, Braniff used to fly a Concorde between Dallas and Washington DC, subsonic of course, but it actually got up to mach .95

How interesting, I didn't know that untill I read it in the paper yesterday morning stick out tongue

Ushgarak
It was ana amzing techynical triumph and a greatbsymnbol of prestige. And it made money. It represented many things.

But it was not the future of air travel.

Tex
Its sonic boom really doomed it!

Although I've always wondered, why didn't they fly it from LA to Tokyo?

G.P
It has never bothered anyone...This is just one of the argument used by some american pundits who didn't want to make a similar plane in the U.S (great competition between Boeing and Airbus...)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.