Kangaroo's

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

mechmoggy
Watching "have I got news for you" last night and heard the funniest thing: -

On discovering Australia, Cpt Cook started to explore with the help of an aborigine man. On seeing a kangaroo Cook said, "what's that?" and the aborigine replied, "kangaroo". And so the creature was named.

However the aboriginal word "kangaroo" roughly translates as "I don't know"!!!! Don't know how true that is but it definitely should be.

Ratcat
Sounds more than feasible...

Supa
hehe.. I heard a joke once.. it doesn't translate into english well since it's a norwegian joke about a norwegian family, not well versed in english, who go to a zoo. when the kid in the family asks what that animal is, the father replies "that animal is dangerous" (only when you say "dangerous" in plain norwegian it sounds silly, right finti?). And so on it goes with the whole meat-eater section of the zoo...

finti
I dont know this joke so I have no idea what you are talking about Supa.
Why do we say CPT Cook discovered Australia. What about the aboriginees who already lived there? Doesnt they count.
Same things go for America. big grin

King Jedi
There are lots of stories like that.
The national flower of Scotland is a "Thistle".

When the King was looking for a flower for an emblem to represent the country he went up into the Highlands with a local man. The man was ordered to find an unusual flower or he'd be thrown in jail. He saw a weird looking thing and said "this'll do".
The King thought he said "Thistle" and that how it was named.

Dim
Hehehe..that is funny.

As for the whole "discovering" idea. I don't think anyone (intelligent) says that Columbus "discovered" America anymore..

Ratcat
Well, he did discover it on behalf of the English, the fact that a thriving civilisation was already living there did seem to escape people back then... sad

mechmoggy
You can't say that a red indian suddenley woke up, looked around himself/herself and said, "wow, I've discovered America". Of coarse Columbus discovered it for us Brits - a modern day equiv would be... say trying to find your way around Walsal's one way system without an A-Z. stick out tongue

Supa
Ok history/anthropology buffs, here's your chance to take it away... Would you say the native Indians of America were Asian in origin?

mah
Leiv Eriksson, the viking, discovered America.

Supa
Yeah I agree there, all us Norwegians dosmile

queeq
National freaks. laughing out loud

Dim
Actually RC..I would say that Columbus "discovered" the Americas on behalf of Spain. As far as European "discovery" the vikings were in North America first.

As far as Native American Origin..there is supposed to be alot of Asian genetic contributions but I don't think they were the only people to come over. They say that there were probably alot of paths of migration to the Americas by various peoples.

queeq
Probably from Australia actually.

King Jedi
Weren't Native Americans called Indians because Columbous thought he had landed in India?

Ratcat
Actually Dim, I thought the Vikings landed at L'Anse aux Meadows in Canada. You are quite correct regarding the Spanish link, my apologies.

I beleave he was Italian by birth, born in 1451 and moving to Spain in 1485.

Raz
KJ you're right, Columbus did set out for India but discovered America instead.

queeq
About the Kangaroo thing. I learned that Kangaroo meant "You can't pronounce it." in reply to Cook's question. Of course these people knew what a Kangaroo was. The real name for a Kangaroo in Aboriginese was and is "Woolloomoolloo". Try pronouncing that! big grin

Raz
Heres what I found on the word Kangaroo:

Dim
RC, why are you saying "actually". I said North America. Did I need to be more specific? New Foundland then..or maybe it was Labrador... laughing out loud

Ratcat
Tsk, tsk, tetchy... laughing out loud

queeq
Interesting quote there. This story changes all the time.

Ratcat
I like the "You couldn't pronounce it" best.

queeq
I am certain about "woolloomoollooo"being the or a word for kangaroo, though.

mechmoggy
Well that's the word I'm gonna be using from now on anyway queeqer - call it my buzz word of the month if you will.

finti
Well Supa Leiv Erikson was in fact regarded as a refugge and considered himself Icelandic more than Norwegian. And he found land to the west of Greenland.
L'Anse aux Meadows in Canada to be precisely as RC pointed out.
Still there were native American already living there. But then again Supa you are right us Norwegian we RULE laughing out loud

queeq
And.... WHERE exactly? big grin

finti
At least we rule our own country. big grin No bureaucrats in Brussells gonna tell us what to do big grin Outside EU on top of Europe rolling on floor laughing

Texas
Brussels=Chocolate, Yummmmm!!!!!!! big grin

Ratcat
IF only it were that simple... sad

Texas
no need to complicate things roll eyes (sarcastic)

finti
I guess that is the reason they put a Texan in the White House laughing out loud

Texas
laughing out loud big grin rolling on floor laughing big grin laughing out loud

King Jedi
I thought Jar Jar as a senator was a dumb idea but then Bush was elected President, so anything is possible.

queeq
Sign of the times. big grin

Ratcat
Sounds like a cue for Finti to enter with a song.

finti
"In September my cousin tried reefer for the very first time.
now he is doing horse its June!
Times..... Times" Formally known as jerk. rolling on floor laughing

Ratcat
Certainly a lot less obvious than I would have gone, nice one.

queeq
Finti never ceases to amaze me.

mechmoggy
Finti is an eternal spring of wonder for us all to drink upon. big grin

queeq
Let's do that then. To the bar!!

finti
makes ready a lot of drinks glen dagobah ale and milkshakes..of course from sane Norwegian cows. rolling on floor laughing cool smokin'

queeq
Start sliding.

Gundark
*skips the sliding part, just falls off barstool*

queeq
*picks her up and drags her off to the closet*

Yahtzee time!

King Jedi
I don't get it. confused

finti
reefer is slang for a joint which is considered a mild drug, horse =heroine a very heavy drug.
I dont like Prince but this song has some bad ass lyrics.

King Jedi
Ahhhh.....now I do.

Dim
Someday..we'll figure out a way to make some money off fint's lyrical talents laughing out loud

queeq
Lemme know when we do. big grin

King Jedi
Lets start a boy/girl band! I want to be the quite, moody one who doesn't sing but just hangs around the back. big grin

Finti would write the songs. Who else wants to join?

queeq
I'll handle the groupies. wink

King Jedi
laughing out loud Damm, that's such a better job!

queeq
I know. big grin

*starts practising his line: Yes, I'm with the band...*

Ratcat
I'll be the ugly drummer who nobody remembers. smile

mechmoggy
Can I be the heartless exec who promises you the world then takes a wopping great 25% of your earnings and dumps you when somebody newer appears on the scene?

Not that I think the project will be anything but a success. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Ratcat
Well, if you only want 25% then it sounds like you're the man for the job.

mechmoggy
OK, first move - we put RC at the front and give him a mic, nobody has had a singing drummer since those "Hotel California" olden's. It's gonna be huuuuuaaaaage.

Ratcat
Have you heard me sing? It's not nice.

mechmoggy
That's the beauty of it, look at the "so solid crew", singing these days don't mean jack. What we need is gimmic's and lots of em'.

We could steal older groups stuff, how would you feel about ripping off your shell suit half-way through the act - Bucks Fizz stylee or maybe half-way through the song you could all get off your stool's at the key change like Westlife do. Think of the endless possibilities....

Ratcat
You want be to take a dump on the stage during the musical interlude.

My stools go down the pan, just like they always have!!! laughing out loud

mechmoggy
***STOP PRESS***

RC (of huge pop sensation - Computa Nerds) in stage poop shocker! eek!

Ratcat
I am SOOOOO ashamed.

*Books himself into Pooper rehab*

queeq
Will crap like that bring ANY groupies?

King Jedi
Not any NICE ones.

mechmoggy
Ladies and Gentlemen, would you please put your hands together for....

RC & The Fecel Freaks!

Thank you, thank you - and the topic has left the buliding. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Dim
That's just.....gross.

Ratcat
I..I...I just wanted to play drums... sad

King Jedi
Nope. I started this band and you've been relegated to triangle.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.