Half-Life 2

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SpikeSpiegel
Does anyone know when Half-Life 2 is released? I've read November on some sites and April on others, which is it?

Dexx
i knew about april. It will be a great game...too bad it won't run n my pc..oh well. At least i'll play multi at the clubs

BackFire
As of now, it's still slated for November, at least here in the states. But with the current leak of the source code, I would not be surprised should it be delayed till next year.

looks amazing, i've never seen such a detailed world, you can use anything and everything, walk anywhere and everywhere..it's amazing

Lord_Andres
I know saw a 7min trailer this other day, looks great, but I think that Doom3 will be better, heard that HL2 is gonna requier 2Ghz or more same about Doom3, and GeForceFX 5900 to run with the best grapichs

BackFire
Half life 2 will suposedly be playable (although with much of the settings turned down, or completely off) on a 700 mghz system with a Geforce 2 card....Doom 3 on the other hand...I hear you'll need at least a 1.5 gighz system just to be able to run the game, even with all the graphical enhancements turned off.

I think Doom 3 will be fun, but the AI for that game is non-existant. the enemies just run straight at you, just like in the old doom games. The game is pretty much entirely dependant on the graphics and atmosphere.

Halflife2 on the other hand, has the best AI that has ever been in any game, period. The demo is truley amazing, and the AI oponents look brilliant. I think Half Life 2 will triumph over doom 3, which would be nothing without it's graphics.

SaTsuJiN
I heard there was no A.I. that it was all just lies and scripted work. Well at least that was the reason the hacker stole the half life 2 code or whatever. I'm all for this great game though, original half life owned and I expect no less of its sequel big grin

Dagons Blade
Yeah ain't that some shit about that stolen code? Oh well, makes me wonder if that hasn't happened before somewhere. First I've heard of it...anyway only having a meager 800 mhz system, ATI Radeon 9000 64 Meg and 512 MB RAM, I fear I'ma bit out of therace for today's nevwr games, but then that makes the older ones I missed first hand cheaper, and that's where I do my best shopping.

Lord_Andres
test here cool

http://www.half-life2.org.uk/check.php

JKozzy
Processor: Your processor is fine.
Graphics : You should be able to play in a low resolution. Upgrade this as a priority.
System Memory: You have enough RAM
Operating System: You will be able to play on Win XP.
Architecture: No Problems
Daaamn... bought the computer a year or so ago and the graphics memory isnt enough... stupid cheap 32MB *mutters into the night*

KidRock
who cant wait for it?! i cant wait till it comes out in august. it should hold me over until my beloved ROME TOTAL WAR comes out

TheOne101
i cant wait for it to come out right after halo 2 so noone will care haha. i hate hf 2 no offense to people who like it but i think it sucks and doest deserve to be called game of the year. but thats just me. i am counting on halo 2 coming out and everyone goin to buy it and get caught up in halo then forget about half life hehe. but u never know they might be online competitors..

KidRock
Halo sucks and people are finally realizing it. the only reason HALO 1 sold becuase it was the only game out for Xbox for about 3 months.

sorry to tell you but halo 2 will BOMB my friend

bardock
kid rock this is true.rock on american badass.

'Vegeta'
Yeah nice one Kid rock

KidRock
thank you thank you ill be here all week

TheOne101
not true mr badass i disagree i think half life 2 will BOMB due to the fact that it sucked. and always will suck. i garentee to anyone on this forum that halo 2 will surpass half life and doom (although i like doom) by an enormouse amount. half life was only said to be good cuz IT was the first fps or something so it was also the only of its kind out.

Lord_Andres
Your totaly wrong The One, Wolfenstein3D was the first fps, Half Life wasint very original in any way, it has basicly the same plot as in Doom.

KidRock
Half life 2 will bomb becuae it SUCKED? have you played the game? lol oookkkk... roll eyes (sarcastic)

HALO 2 has nothing new to bring to the table. its going to have horrible weapons bad story (if any at all) the graphics engine will probley not be optimized (that means it will run horrible on your computer). HALO 2 is nothing special.

"Your totaly wrong The One, Wolfenstein3D was the first fps, Half Life wasint very original in any way, it has basicly the same plot as in Doom."

Have you played Doom??? It has no story...LITERALLY it had NO story it was just a run through the levels killing aliens. Half life had a story.

BackFire
I don't understand the hostility in this thread. Say what you want about Half Life 2 or Halo 2, the simple fact is both will sell like hot cakes. I will bet all the money I have that neither game will "bomb", both will be incredibly popular, and probably very solid all around.

Also, Theone101, Half Life was NOT the first FPS, far from it. It simply did so much new stuff for the genre and it was recognized for it. It was teh first game to really use scripted scenes to their full potential, it was the first FPS game that really relied on it's story to push you forward, rather then the fact that you'd be getting bigger and better guns as you went on. It was also the first game that had popular mods.

Halo, on the other hand, didn't really do anything new, aside from the vehicular gameplay. It was a very solid game, but not revolutionary. In fact, I think it's popularity stems heavily from the fact that it was primarily a console game, and console FPS's are usually very flaky, where as Halo was solid all around.

Bottom line, no matter how much you may dislike either game, they will both sell extremely well.

SpikeSpiegel
*agrees with BF*

Both games are going to be cool. The advantage of them being released at about the same time is that if you get stuck on one you can play the other one and keep swapping between.

Predator 89
I guess this always happens when some one opens a thread on Half-life 2 some one always comes and makes a big deal out of it or how halo 2 will destroy half-life 2. To say the least halo 2 looks like a great game i saw the 5min trailer good stuff. But if anyone here who likes halo knew anything about games it is that Half-life set the standards for modern day FPS. Combining great A.I, weapons, and of course the plot and hero. I Know that Half-life is 5 years old but with the technology of today Half-life 2 has just about as great of a chance to be WAY!!!!!!!!!! better than Halo 2. I mean Half-life wasn't named game of the year by more than 50 publications world wide for nothing. And i cant wait till Counter Strike: Source comes out!

MC Mike
NOVEMBER 16th !!!

Old news, I know. stick out tongue

Samas-adian
Mostly all Halo fanatics are alike. They wouldnt know FPS if it hit them in the ass.

dark1365
Hey, maybe you should get a life. I'm a fan of both HL2 and Halo 2. Halo 2 for its kickass multiplayer, Half-Life 2 for its incredible interactivity, and graphical animation.
Get a life, dude. If HL2 is all you play, you really need to climb out of the hole.

Samas-adian
Hahahaha.

Robo-Chocobo
hes right. so stop the bigotry. the only reason I even favor halo 2 is because my computer cant run half life 2. I appreciate a good game, and i try to remain unbaised, and so should you.

Samas-adian
I didnt even mention anything about half life 2 or halo 2.

Robo-Chocobo
UH HUH, Sure you didnt.

(even after making the post in direct reply to a halo2 rleated post. you can say you didnt say anything about it, but we know what you really mean.)

I find your view of halo lovers almost offensive. sure, we may be in love with an old game, (but then again, so are all the half life fans). give credit where credit is due. now excuse me while i go and try to do more work and moddifications on my other PC so it can run doom 3.

cal31
and mostly people who make that statment are stuck up pricks who think they know everything about gaming.

ZomBiE_HunTER
Should I play Half Life 1 before playing 2.

Samas-adian
Yeah, I would. If not for background info but also because its a very good game aside from dated graphics.

dark1365
If you want to find the plot out. Understand it better.

ChickinMeat
man, i didnt realise the release date was so close!

i did the system check, i got all green which was nice! and as halo2 has already been released and broke sales records and stuff, i can hope people have spent there hard earned cash, which means more chance of me getting a copy of HL2 day of release! laughing saying that i reckon it will do just as well as halo2 sales, both games have a considrable fanbase behind them.

and on a unrelated note, i see some of you halo fans are here, can i ask, do you know if there will be a PC port of halo2 anytime in the future? be nice if there was.

man im excited!

MC Mike
Halo2 PC is slated around summer '05. GTA-SA PC is slated around fall '05.

2 of the best games EVER won't even come out on the best system ever for almost a year.

But not Half-Life 2! YES!

HarmonicFlo88
Why would anyone need to climb out of any hole? if they prefer one game then that's that. no on needs to really do anything, dude. But i do say : that if you haven't played a game, you shouldn't talk about it .

dark1365
Ah, variety is the spice of life. If you play one game, and one only, you'll never know what you were missing out on. Like when my computer was too crap to run the new Counter-Strike.
And what're you talking about, me not having have played Halo? Course I have, man. And yes, I know a lot about the first one. Not so much about second, I was just playing multiplayer on Lockout and Ivory Tower the whole time.
And I ain't really dissing HL2, if you're wondering. It's very good.

MC Mike
Half-Life 2 was called "...the best game of all time." by PC Gamer if anyone cares. huh

But you shouldn't base your opinion on theirs.

For anyone interested, some stores have already beugn selling it!!!

BackFire
What stores?

ZomBiE_HunTER
Even if u can buy the game u still cant play it becuz u will need to register online.

cal31
As much as I think HL2 is going to be one of the best games out there, I think it is pretty ambitious to call any game the best game ever, there is never going to be one definitive best game of all time.

BackFire
The quote from PCG was "Possibly the best game ever". They never said it IS the best game ever.

MC Mike
Sorry, I quoted from an ad. erm

As for what stores, some EB Games are giving out preorders.

Link: http://games.slashdot.org/games/04/11/12/1539203.shtml?tid=204

BUT no one can play. Valve has a huge anti-piracy system going on: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19642

BackFire
Yeah, but someone above made a good point, you do have to register the game online, and you won't be able to do that untill the 16th.

MC Mike
Edited. smile

BackFire
In all honesty, I think I'm glad I don't have the game pre-ordered so I can get it now. It would be torture to have that game sitting here next to me, all the while knowing that I can't play it for 3 days. I'd be liable to go insane.

MC Mike
big grin Same here. I've been waiting for this game as long as everyone else. With Halo 2 coming out for XBox and San Andreas for PS2, and me having no consoles, this will be a nice fresh little present to get my hands on. Have you seen the trailer on the official site? Great stuff.

BackFire
Yes, this game makes me moist.

Samas-adian
Greatest line ever.

ChickinMeat
agreed!

cal31
well, it got 9.7 on IGN, and 9.2 on Gamespot.

Red Superfly
Well, hopefully I'll have a brand spankin new computer ready for this game.

Wolf Dog
Will it be released tonight!?

MC Mike
Yes sir. I don't know if I'm getting it now, or after Thanksgiving Break (which we US people are having right now, by the way... well some of us stick out tongue ).

If I get it tomorrow, I won't be able to play it all break long. And if I wait I might actually get my mom to buy me the Collector's Edition. Usually I wouldn't be getting that, it's a waste of money, but I know this one store that ALWAYS puts the same price on normal and collector's editions of things. laughing out loud

ChickinMeat
collectors edition this time round seems worth it to me for once, as you get the entire original game in source code, that would be worth the money by itself!

ZomBiE_HunTER
Not really not the whole original game.

SaTsuJiN
I wouldnt get the collectors edition for a first person shooter.. I 'did' buy it for World of Warcraft though..

ChickinMeat
i think it is! well, thats what the blurb on this website seems to say:

went to the gamestore today, talked to the manager a bit and he showed me his stock of halflife2 and collectors edition, they were so shiny! roll eyes (sarcastic) laughing

shockimebones
Gamespot's review actually had quite a lot of negative things to say about the game confused

I'm still gonna buy it though.

ChickinMeat
ive tried to not read anything on this game, its what i do with any game i plan on definatly getting. i feel if i read previews, reviews and stuff like that, then it may reveal things i never wished to know. if i dont read reviews or anything, everything will be fresh to me.

i know what i mean, im just not very good at typing descriptions!

BackFire
Supposedly the game will be available in 5 minutes, at midnight pacific time.

ldene
if you don't have an internet connection on the computer you want to play half-life on, can you still play it? Or will it just not work?

ChickinMeat
there must be a way, it would be totally unfair otherwise

Linkalicious
great! Just another freakin game I have to buy.

Should I go get the CD or should I just download it off of steam?

forumcrew
played it last night after getting it off steam pretty cool

Lord_Andres
better then Doom3?

Linkalicious
Oh christ!

I work for an internet based claims company, and 7 of the 15 members of our development team sent emails this morning saying that they would be late to work for all sorts of made up reasons.

Then one of them called me and asked why I didn't join the group down at Fry's where all 7 of them are buying this game.

Addicted much?

Alpha Centauri
There's actually a way to get this game without buying? Can anyone tell me where and what the PC requirements are? I'm sure mine will suffice but just to be sure.

I don't go mad over games but this is "Half-Life 2". I need it.

-AC

Red Superfly
I'm gonna give it a wekk until my new stonkin PC arrives, and I'll just buy Half-Life 2 from the shop.

Screw Steam, I want solid evidence that i own it.

Linkalicious
i have it preloaded on my computer through Steam, but I think I'm just going to go out and get the real deal on CD to make sure I don't have any problems if i do something like re-format my hard drive down the road.

all of the developers came into work today. One of them was playing it on his brand new lap top....it's pretty damn impressive graphically.

Red Superfly
You work for a claims company?

Filth!

off topic: I've been reading about a claims thingy going on over here involving a former crack pusher who stole a car, and crashed into a bus while fleeing from pursuing cops. He is now trying to sue the POLICE for doing their job, running him off the road.

Linkalicious
we process automobile claims between the Insurance company and the body shop over the internet. Far from filth. it's a nice paying job that allows me to work from home.

Aside from a sh!tty drive on most days....it's a great job.

dark1365
Played it the evening it came out. Ahh..my favourite part was when i blew up a flammable gas barrel under a bridge, which set off a chain reaction, which collapsed the bridge, sending the annoying shooters to fall to their deaths. Satisfaction.

Samas-adian
Fantastic game. Soo many awesome parts. This is the best game i have ever played. All i have to say is the gravity gun and saw blades.

SpikeSpiegel
I'm getting it this weekend happy

ChickinMeat
does anyone here know anything about graphics cards and drivers?

i was told by HL2 that i need to update my ATi drivers, so i got the new CATALYST 04.11 drivers, and it keeps freezing up in HL2, and i know its not HL2 as it now freezes up in all my games, when they were fine before.

so would you think its a dodgy install? do you think i should re-install the old drivers again? anyone know where to find the ATi uninstall.exe? i cant find it anywhere!

anyhelp would be greatly appreciated, because when it comes to graphics cards and stuff, im as useless as a cabbage in a warzone

Thorondor
Ati are really really REALLY bad at making drivers, go back to your old one if that worked.

Lord_Andres
ah love the game big grin

Linkalicious
anyone played it?

Is it as good as all the hype would lead you to believe?

Should I get this right away or should I continue to play Halo for a little while longer and THEN buy HL2?

Lord_Andres
GO GET IT NOW!!! I can't really descripe it, it has to be tried, very good lived up to my expectations big grin

Samas-adian
Get it now also. Screw Halo 2 i say.

BackFire
Half Life 2 is truley an amazing game. It's damn near flawless. The atmosphere and settings are so good that they're unsettling. It's like you're playing a movie.

Halo 2 is an incredibly short game, so might as well finish that, won't take long.

ChickinMeat
huzzah! my problem is finally fixed, and i can now play with good framerate.

only flaw is some of the main characters faces, the textures are all weird, but that can be overlooked with what ive had to deal with, i can now expericne the game proporly

SpikeSpiegel
I finished Halo 2 yesterday, so that I could play Half-Life 2 big grin

SaTsuJiN
lol @ finish halo2.. I think even in beating the single player one hasnt truely become done with a game (any game I mean). My friend said HL2 is awesome, but I wont be getting it til next month cuz I need to beat games I already own.. (plus with WoW retail hitting on the 23rd -_-)

Lord_Andres
The biggest flaw I see, is the voice acting, specialy gman, NOOB! its not good at all, but the rest is very good so far big grin

Samas-adian
The textures on their faces are breathtaking. And i felt the voice action was superb. You can actually see individually pores in their skin.

Lord_Andres
true, faces look very good specially Gman, but voice acting is not good, Doom3's voice acting what you could call very good, anyway I'm in the 5chapter now just got the shotgun big grin i LOVE SHOTGUNS!

Samas-adian
Doom 3 was good also. But i still think the voice acting is great for Half Life 2. If it wasnt, the world in Half Life 2 would not be as believable.

MC Mike
The first game where you can fully use your enviornment. droolio

dark1365
Yeah, you can push flammable barrels over the bridge at your enemies, and shoot it to explode it. Very cool. And not to mention, you can pick them up, and smash your enemies with it.

Unholy_Cheese
Is this a FPS?

Samas-adian
My fav is when you take paint buckets and shoot them at walls and enemies and see get covered in paint. I love it.

SpikeSpiegel
The bit where you're running from the combine on the first level across rooftops I though was kind of Matrixy, with the combine being Agents

dark1365
Picking up a concrete block and swinging it at an enemie's head is satisfying.

Samas-adian
Sooner or later, people will everything has to do with The Matrix. There are soo many movies out there that involve a guy getting chased by authorities.

Finished it. Ending was okay, but i kinda of expected it. Awesome game, and i definitly can play it over and over again. I feel its the best FPS out there right now.

Linkalicious
it's incredibly short if you're playing it on "normal"

I'm beating it on Legendary and the game is so freaking hard I'm about ready to throw my controller through my television set.

They get too much life, and take too much away per shot. I usually have to plasma nade an elite just to kill it.

I beat it on normal in 2 days, but on Legendary I struggle through every checkpoint in every level.

BackFire
Hm, well then I guess you should get Half life 2 regaurdless. If for nothing else, the new CS is awesome.

Lord_Andres
ya new CS is what CS needed, anyway HL2 was an easy game a bit too easy acturly I plaed it on hard but it was like playing serious sam on tourist! anyway I felt that the two last chapters whare waaaaaaaaay to rushed, I'm I the only one that feels that?

KidRock
Valve really sucked CS dry.. i cant stand playing CS anymore.. it is just the dullest game in my opinion.. and I think Valve took the shortcut half-assed way out by using CSmessed as HL2 multiplayer

Samas-adian
I loved the last 2 chapters. It wasnt as great as the two chapters before it but fun none less. Maybe i just love the gravity gun soo much that its tainted my judgment on the last 2 levels. Also i enjoyed seeing how everything was built and stuff.

Half Life 2 level design is amazing though. The best ive seen so far.

Lord_Andres
Chapter 12 ''Follow Freeman'' was by far the greatest chapter in the game, last 2 chapters whare rushed, it seemed like they patched them up like a week before the release, they both together only answerd to a half reguler chapter

Samas-adian
It might of been smaller than others. But i still enjoyed them and i dont think its rushed because its was less about action and more about exploring. I do admit it was a tad easy but i think Follow Freeman and the chapter before that was the last major chapters, and it went out with a bang.

Fearnix
I thought that the end end of the game was a let down

ChickinMeat
right im going to ask for help now, hope someone can give me advice!

i am really stuck on the section "entanglement" i think its called, and its the bit where you get 3 gun turrets to deploy where you want, then the 4 prison gates open and combine soldiers pour in, basically, i cant survive at all, there are just to many soldiers.

so my question is, any tips on how to win this battle? because i just canne do it!

CraSh OveRloaD
Don't forget to help your turrets and put them back up.

CraSh OveRloaD
Time Mr. Freeman?

Samas-adian
get the turrets and put them at the other end of the hallway, right infront of the barrier. put them seperate from each other so they cant knock into each other. Stay behind a pillar and protect the back side of turrets. Just fend off with a overwatch machine gun and make sure the combine dont come near the turrets.

ChickinMeat
thnaks for the tips guys, ill go try them now, and wow a diagram! thats awesome, cheers buddy!

Wolf Dog
I just beat Half Life and I think that the ending was a huge let down too. I mean, I think its the best video game experience i ever had in my life but im just concerned with where the story is going. It's sort of similiar to the Matrix series. 1st movie was a classic and then the next 2 movies were just made for money. It wasnt really supossed to be a triliogy. You know what i mean? Hopefully, Im wrong and HL3 actually answers questions.

ChickinMeat
i managed to pass thas bit in entanglement i was stuck on, but your plans didnt work for me very well, i kept getting owned! this plan i found did work for me however!

RaventheOnly
Um can you play Half life on the internet in multiplayer? blink because isn't that just CS mod? blink if not the game is rather limited.

Fearnix
You cant play Half life 2 online but you can play Counter Strike Source online

CraSh OveRloaD

Samas-adian
CS was a mod, but it isnt anymore. Its a full fledged game. Half Life 2 is limited at this given time, but a half a year from now it wont be. Valve has made sure that the game will be easy to mod and will give alot of support also.

ChickinMeat
who here plays CS-S? i was thinking maybe we could all share our steam details, then have a KMC game or something, havnt a clue how that would work though!

and im complete shit at the game!

CraSh OveRloaD
I hate CS or even CSS never even opened it.

ChickinMeat
i hated CS aswell, but source changed my mind a bit, i think its because it has the physics engine sort of and it has ragdoll.

but i really hated the original.

BackFire
I play CS-S occasionally. Much better then the original.

ChickinMeat
well my steam account is "ChickinMeat"

i dont think anyone could have guessed that!

Samas-adian
The new version is great.
But im looking forward to Half Life DM. Check out gamespot, or steam.

ChickinMeat
yea definatly, that will be awesome!

we should have a cerimonial KMC game in celebration!

ChickinMeat
downloading HL2-DM as i post this, exciting stuff!

Wolf Dog
BEST SUPRISE EVER!!!!
That should shutup those stupid reviewers who complained of no deathmatch. It feels like a beta to me though.

ChickinMeat
well, i would have played it, but i got a most painful surprise! can you spot it?

http://kongsjungle.co.uk/funkyj/pics/ouchping.JPG

Samas-adian
The ping will go down soon. Most servers that are up are being run on individual computers and not dedicated servers.

CraSh OveRloaD
Sure I might of died more often then I Won, But Hey I still had top score with 83 kills in half an hour....

I had no Idea the Gravity Gun could be soo Powerful...

SpikeSpiegel
Throwing toliets etc. at people is fun big grin

MC Mike
I'll be getting that collecter's thingy-majig for a pary I'm having the 17th. 50 people are coming and I have no idea if I will play this game but hell, I want it before Christmas. stick out tongue

ChickinMeat
you might get 50 copies of HL2

what will you do then?

MC Mike
I don't have that kind of cash. :rollseyes:

What will I do? Wait until the day after.

ChickinMeat
naaa man, i meant if 50 people are comming to your birthday bash, they might have all bought you HL2 for your birthday.

you could offload the other 49 on ebay, and make yourself a mint!

MC Mike
Not my birthday. wink

ChickinMeat
lol dammit, i cant win!

whenever you do get it, you will love it man, love it.

MC Mike
I already know that. laughing out loud big grin No worries. If I'm patient, I will wait for Christmas, but I want it before so I have something to do for that week without school before the 25th. erm

greyboy
I have HL2, but I have held myself back from getting into this game....pretty much only bc I know it will totally take over my life. But MAN is it tough.

ChickinMeat
Whilst playing HL2-DM, i discovered the secret super mario jump, suffice to say, it did not help at all
http://kongsjungle.co.uk/funkyj/pics/deathdance.JPG
LETS'A'GO!

SpikeSpiegel
Well I've just completed it. The last few levels were cool with the upgraded grav gun evil face

CraSh OveRloaD
NEVER Drink and Drive

Wolf Dog
I wish there was a ladder to this game cuz I honestly think I have the best kill/death ratio. I wanna play some kmc hl2 dm players 1 on 1.

ChickinMeat
i would challenge you wolf dog, but...

1 - Steam's friends list doesnt seem to work for me

2 - Im complete crap at the game

Red Superfly
Steams friends list doesn't work, PERIOD!

Wolf Dog
Steam sucks!! I had to uninstall/reinstall ALL of steam because an error always came up saying that it couldn't find the file or something like that. It took me the whole day. This better not happen again.

Runing_Assailnt
I cant get it cos my comp sucks sad

ZomBiE_HunTER
SAme here but im going to get a kick ass pc soon.

Machete_Guy
God this is a kick ass game shock

Samas-adian
I beat the game a long time ago but i was PC Gamer and other Half-Life strategy and one thing that got to me was that most puzzle or sequences have soo many different strategies thats it unbelievable. The game is strictly linear but when it comes to solving puzzles, the game is open ended.

smoker4
Just finised it and it was f***in brilliant

Machete_Guy
People say that HL1 is built into the engine but i can't find it.

Smasandian
Yeah, but you have to buy the retail collectors edition, or the silver and gold package from Steam.
It recieves a upgrade but its not an remake of the game. It still looks like the orginial but just a tad better. For example, realistic water, general physics and higher defintion models and such. But it does not look like Half-Life 2.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>