tested on animals

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

blakangel
OK, I dont mean to be like annoying, but I just got given this list yesterday and some of the stuff that is tested on animals shocked me...

Products that are tested on animals include:
Ace
Alldays
Always
Ariel
Attends
Bold
Bounce
Bounty
Camay
Circ
Clairol
Charmin
Covergirl
Daz
Denclen
Dreft
Eukanuba
Fairy Liquid
Fairy Snow
Febreze
Flash
Giorgio Beverly Hills
Hugo Boss
Head & Shoulders
IAMS
Lenor
Max Factor
Milton
Napisan
Olay
Old Spice
Pampers
Pantene Pro-V
Pringles
Secret
Sinex
Sunny Delight
Swiffer
Tampax
Tide
Vaporub
Viakal
VS (haircare)
Vortex
Wash n' Go
Zest

Everything listed does test final products and/or ingredients on animals, or is owned by a company that does test on animals and/or is involved in other forms of animal exploitation and extreme cruelty

Companies;

Aquafresh
Aziza
Benckiser
Boots
Christian Dior(Supports Fur Trade)
Colgate-Palmolive
Coppertone
Coty
Cover Girl
Disney Toothbrushes
Dove
Eli Lilly & Co
Faberge
Febreze
Givenchy
Guerlain, Inc
Helene Curtis
Hills Pet
Iams
Impulse
Jhirmack
Jovan
Kanebo
Lever Brothers
Lifebouy
Lubriderm
Lux
Mennen
Obsession
Pfizer
Piz Braun
Ponds
Quintessence
Richardson-Vicks
Sanofi

Schering-Plough
Schick
Sensodyne
Shiseido
Vidal Sassoon
Warner-Lambert
Alberto-Culver
Bristol-Myers Squibb
Bausch & Lomb
St Ives
Clairol
Ray-Ban
Johnson & Johnson
S.C. Johnson (Pledge, Mr Muscle, Toilet Duck, Glade, Goddards, Raid)
Kimberley-Clark (Kleenex, Huggies)
Neutrogena Roc
Woolite
Yves St Laurent
Ziploc
3M
Chesebrough-Ponds Prince Matchabelli
Procter & Gamble (Max Factor, Old Spice,Oil of Olay, Vicks,Pampers, Pringles,Head & Shoulders,
Wash & Go, Tampax,Clearasil, Hugo Boss,
Milton, Eukanuba, Lams)
Unilever (Pears, Lux, Dove, Lifebouy,
Timotei, Sunsilk, Salon Selectives,Organics, Sure, Shield, Impulse, Vaseline,Brut, Surf, Sunlight, Skip, Omo,
Persil Comfort, Vim, Domestos,Close-Up, Mentadent, Rama, Flora,
Stork, Royco, Colman's, Walls Ice-Cream,
Lipton Tea, Birds Eye Frozen FoodsCalvin Klein Elizabeth Arden
Elizabeth Taylor Chloe)
Smithkline Beecham (Horlicks, Gaviscon,Lucozade, Ribena, Oxy,
Aquafresh, Macleans, Tums,Phillips milk of Magnesia,
Eno, Tagamet, Grandpa,Panadol, Paramed)

*Im sorry that some are repeated more than once and some others are not included on the list that you may be aware of.

I cannot stand testing on animals; but I can put up with that for medical research. Sorry to bother those that don't give a damn....

Luv fi smile

X BLOOD ON YOUR HANDS? X
X CHANGE YOUR BRANDS!!!

burlyman
no testing on animals!!

wats the

blakangel
thanks....

the was because I didn't know how to produce bulleted lists on here; and on another forum you put them in it..... but this one is obviously different big grin

Bad Boy
Important medical that need to be tested should be tested on animals in a HUMANE way. But the majority like shampoos or nail varnish definetley shouldn't!

blakangel
I dont really approve of medical research either to be honest; they treat the animals they test on like S**t, when the should be treated like heroes because thats what they sort of are. sad

julibug
I noticed Iams on the lists. Um, that is cat/dog food, so maybe they're just "taste-testing"! stick out tongue No, I don't like cosmetic testing on animals, either. There may be some acceptable medical research, but definately not on cosmetics. There are plenty of people out there willing to be "guinea pigs" (pardon the pun). Of course, the companies would have to pay the people or offer products, etc. It is quite sad!

silver_tears
im very much so against animal cruelty.......unless for a worthy cause
and some animals however are bred for the sole prupose of these tests
oh and im very happy that at least they dont test on endangered species and such big grin

blakangel
Iams and Eukanuba are both pet foods on the list - yes!

Like Iams and many other “pet” food manufacturers, Menu Foods conducts tests to measure the “metabolic energy” of dog and cat food. Such tests are inherently cruel because they involve severe confinement in stainless-steel metal cages. PETA’s undercover investigation at a testing laboratory with which Menu Foods contracts found countless examples of cruelty and neglect.

During the tests, dogs and cats are forced to live in cold, hard, barren stainless-steel cages with no toys or beds. PETA’s investigator took video footage of animals circling endlessly in their cages, suffering the severe effects of lack of stimulation, exercise, and socialization. Metabolic cages are approximately the size of a cage that your vet might use for animals recovering from surgery. Imagine keeping your companion animal in such a cage day after day, year after year! You wouldn’t do it. But Menu Foods dogs had no choice and virtually no life.

belldandy
ace, always, pringles,...?!!!
no

grymlock
i'm with you all the way... smile

cheers!!

grymlock
animal right are the key of the solution... you can see how they expose all the explotation of the abuse that have been done to the animal... there is alway a alternative research for product/cosmatic item... so do it the right way.. out cry for freedom!!

cheers!!

finti
dont care for animals

Fire
well I feel two sided on this one

I don't like it that they have to test these products on animals, certainly not make-up
but I'd rather have them test in on animals than testing it on humans.
I dislike unnecessairy testing but not all testing done by companies that make food is unnecessairy.

don't get me wrong I love animals and all that, but animals raised and born in captivity get very lil compassion from me

yerssot
they have to test pringles??? the chips? that's just plain torture! laughing out loud

ok, now seriously

I'm absolutely opposed against testings on animals,
of course there are products that need testing because they could be, if they are made up wrong, leathal for humans...
though even in that case, I oppose the testings

Bad Boy
Always knew you were the animal loving type Mr Fint!

Fire
Then how would they have to test it?

yerssot
if it's needed, still on humans

cermiestar
*shocked*

BackFire
laughing out loud

must_kill_Santa
poor animals

cermiestar
kittens! puppies! *cries*

must_kill_Santa
*cries and hugs cermie*

cermiestar
*hugs back* it's so mean!

must_kill_Santa
i no i would hate for that to happen to my puppy

cermiestar
*cries* it's so horrible! i mean, it's horrible that they use animals for medical purposes but i understand that. Cosmetitc testing is just torture.

must_kill_Santa
i no *cries* we need some guys in here to make us feel better

cermiestar
where are they all????

must_kill_Santa
if we cry load enough they might hear us

blakangel
I dont want to force anyone into changing their brands I just want people to be aware; well those who care that is. embarrasment

I do alot for animal rights; I go to alot of protests. Infact theres one of the 6th dec in Huntington.

Also please be aware its not necessarily these products that are tested on the animals; it could be companies that back/finance the animal testing carried out!

Id never want any human to also endure the suffering caused by these experiments. I just really fight for better welfare for the animals in all experiments and the banning of all experiments that are not necessary at all. big grin

must_kill_Santa
we are aware tis so sad we need guys

diegocala
Testing on animals, IMHO a necessary evil

drunk_nazgul
How on Earth does one test Always on animals???

Ushgarak
Right, answer me this.

How come I have never met anyone who thought that testing leisure products on animals was right...

... but also have never met anyone who actually did anything about it?

I hate to call people out here but I doubt any of you who were not before are going to boycott ANY of those products because of this. And that is because people's true moral convictions in this area are just not as strong as they say. If they were being tested on unwilling humans you would never use the product again, but animals- people just do not care enough about to do anything.

And that is the way it is, so don't be blaming me...

My position on this is very utilitarian... so I had best not share it.

BackFire
gotta test products on something, animals are cheap and effective.

That's life

diegocala
There ya go BF! laughing out loud

swoope
I am not all about animal cruelty...I hate to think about bad things happening to animals. Unfortunately I have to agree that it is a necessary evil. As a microbiologist I have learned a lot about the process (not a pretty one at all), however, it is necessary in order for these products to be proven 'safe' before they can be marketed.

Once again, not saying I like it, but it something that unfortunately has to be done.

finti
funny thing is that they showed those Survivor(Norwegian version) people killed and eat a cat and people went crazy and condemning it in the media . Same weekend they showed a really really violent documentary from Iraq where you saw people being shot , but you didnt hear a thing about that .

blakangel
Im part of the alf....Im a vegan and I go to protests...

Ive took part in things to kidnap 1,000 battery chickens and re-home them...Im one of the few that actually DOES SOMETHING.

I buy all my products as either a tesco or superdrug brand (the dont test their products or anything in them on animals and so far it hasn't killed anyone messed)

BackFire
Probably will eventually.

If they can't test products, then they may be dangerous to humans.

Testing on animals is probably the most accurate way to distinguish what is or isn't safe for humans.

blakangel
Ok...number 1 that was front page news headlines about people being shot im Iraq... Ive never even heard of that story of the cat.

Number 2, about 6 months ago 70,000 sheep on a boat off the shore of new zeland died of heat whilst travelling. The story took up a 10cm square in the middle of the newspaper. Nothing happened about it;...no charges were pressed and the animals bodies were thrown over board.

How many people kicked up a fuss?

Answer me that!

blakangel
So animals have the same bodies as humans.... did you ever hear of the birth product that was tested on mice and worked then was put on the market and caused mutilations within babies born?

Also its not the animal testing that annoys me; its the way they treat the animals..... so some animal has to be treated by living in a tiny cage all its life with no interaction with other animals/toys, no walks.... just so you dont feel slightly ill....?

saucybird007
Im sooo shoked about some of those iteams on the list.
Like some of you know, im a veterinary nurse and atleast 20 of those iteams are suppliers for vets! How harsh is that!! messed

Eukanuba and IAMS are the same company, Hills is also another pet food company and apparently one of the best food suppliers in the world!
Where i work we recommend Hills! sad

I am totally shocked! erm

finti
i did link it to Norway

SO? guess we got a fluffy sea then

BackFire
Yes, because it could be much more devistating then simply feeling "slightly ill". If they released products that aren't tested on animals that have similar characteristics as humans, then there's no telling what infection could occure.

As far as I'm concerned, animal testing is completely necessary.

blakangel
well guess thats your opinion...*sighs*...

finti...Im glad to see how much you care. I hope to god you never suffer of heat on a boat and die of a consequence; but I guess empathy is not a skill you have.

BF... I believe it is also necessary to some standards, I believe that i want to find a cure for many illnesses out there. But I want more humane standards.
I believe that many experiments are uneccessary. One animals life seems unimportant to these scientists; if they accidently break their necks while putting them ina metal machine or they cant be bothered to use anaesthetic while they operate. It makes me feel sick.

http://www.iamsodead.com/iams.html - more about iams.

http://www.shac.net - more about animal testing, it also shows how it effects people and makes them ill. Its NOT just animals that suffer.

blakangel
If you think animal experiments are neccecary consider the following:

-Less than 2% of human illnesses (1.16%) are ever seen in animals. Over 98% never are.
-At least 50 drugs on the market cause cancer in lab animals. They are allowed because it is admitted that animal tests are not relevant.
-When asked if they agreed that animal experimentation can be misleading because of anatomical and physiological differences between animals and humans, 88% of doctors agreed.
-Rats are 37% effective in identifying what causes cancer in humans. Flipping a coin would be more accurate.
-According to animal tests lemon juice is deadly poison, but arsenic, hemlock and botulin are safe.
-40% of patients suffer side effects as a result of prescription treatment.
-Over 200,000 medicines have been released most of which are now withdrawn. According to the World Health Organisation, 240 medicines are ‘essential’.
-Thousands of drugs passed safe in animals have been withdrawn or banned due to their effect on human health.
-Aspirin fails animal tests, as do digitalis (heart drug), cancer treatments, insulin (causes animal birth defects), penicillin and other safe medicines. They would be banned if results from animal experimentation were accurate.
-When the producers of thalidomide were taken to court, they were aquitted after numerous experts agreed animal tests could not be relied on for human medicine.
-At least 450 methods exist with which we can replace animal experiments.
-Morphine puts humans asleep but excites cats.
95% of drugs passed by animal tests are immediately disgarded as useless or dangerous to humans.
-One is six patients in hospital are there because the drug they have taken had been passed safe for us on humans after animal tests.
Worldwide, at least 22 animals die every second in labs. In the UK one animal dies every five seconds.
-The contraceptive pill causes blood clots in humans but it had the opposite effect in dogs.
-We use aspirin for aches and pains. It causes birth defects mice, rabbits and rats.
-Researchers refused to believe that benzene could cause cancer in humans because it failed to in animal tests.
Dogs failed to predict heart problems caused by the cardiovascular drugs encainide and flecainide, which led to an estimated 3,000 deaths in the USA.
-Heart by pass surgery was put on hold for years because it didn’t work on dogs.
-If we had relied on animal tests we would still believe that humans don’t need vitamin C, that smoking doesn’t cause cause cancer and alcohol doesn’t cause liver damage.
-It was denied for decades that asbestos caused disease in humans because it didn’t in animals.
-Polio researchers were mislead for years about how we catch the disease because they had experimented on monkeys.
-As one researcher points out, “the ultimate dilemma with any animal model of human disease is that it can never reflect the human situation with complete accuracy."

finti
like I said earlier, I dont care for animals.

and empathy aint a skill its a weakness

BackFire
Well, like I said Blakangel, animals are a cheap, effective and abundant way of testing. That's all the companies and the scientists care about.

That may not be pleasing to you, but it's true, that's why animals testing is the main testing done when testing products.

finti
i say lets use Swedes for testings

LanceWindu
Or Canadians...

finti
what is this picking on Canadians all aboot

BackFire
laughing out loud

BackFire
I wouldn't protest over either of those creatures being tested on.

LanceWindu
They like to live in their hoouses too, eh.

finti
indeed

LanceWindu
Their bacon is called Canadian Bacon to us too. Even though it's just a regular piece of fried ham.

BackFire
It's fun to pick on canadians because they always take it so seriously. You say 'aboot' in a mocking manner, and they will swear death upon you.

LanceWindu
No offense Canada! Or any Canadians here.

finti
guess the bacon is made in Canada hence the name Lance stick out tongue so aboot animal testing aint there some endangered species that needs some testing on, and oooooohhhhhhhhh we Norwegians are still hunting whales.

oh you cant hunt whales cause whales are such intelligent creatures

really? if they are so intelligent why do they swim in front of the bloody harpoon all the time then

BackFire
laughing out loud

same goes for dolphins. People say they are so smart, yet they swim right into the net.

finti
yeah poor Flipper

BackFire
Yeah, he sure tasted good for supper though.

As did Lassie.

LanceWindu
Poor Lassie, he just had to go to China didn't he?

finti
Lassie sick I think I have a pizza instead

BackFire
Lassie Pizza evil face

LanceWindu
Eww! My slice still has the collar!

finti
sick

LanceWindu
Still fuzzy too.

finti
guess a doggy bag never gonna be the same now

LanceWindu
Llaughing out loudL

blakangel
laughing out loud

Yeah I know that; but it doesn't make it right? Esspecially when theres no point to the experiment in the first place messed

*sighs*

Ushgarak
And I respect that position for its logical consistency. But you will note that no-one else who has shown shock has tried to refute my point, however. Because it remains true. I can only imagine that is annoying for you.

I am afraid, though, that you are riding down a blind alley trying to make out that animal experiments are not useful, seeing as I would be dead were it not for them and I know plenty of people with similar stories and Doctors who can give me significant counter-statisitcs. I am afraid there is a LOT of evidence of the benefits they have brought and you will not convince people otherwise.

All you can really argue is if they are morally justified, not if they have any use.

grymlock
and that's the way the cookie crumble... cheers mate!!

cheers!!

must_kill_Santa
poor animals poorpoor animals

finti
nah

must_kill_Santa
ill cry

finti
wonder if Im gonna get me a fur coat

must_kill_Santa
NOOOO!!!!
*cries*

finti
he he Bambi coat

must_kill_Santa
Nooo evil person *cries harder*

finti
and top the collor with that rabbit friend of bambi

must_kill_Santa
nonononononono where are all the guys im crying here
*cries*

finti
watch out Simba I need a rug

must_kill_Santa
stop it *runs away crying*

finti
hmm any more animals left?

julibug
Nope, no more left. I think you slaughtered them all. roll eyes (sarcastic)

julibug
By the way, some of you might find this site interesting. Warning - some of you will be offended...

http://www.fegan.net/peta.htm

julibug
Just curious if you are aware that ALF is in the FBI's list of homeland terrorist organizations. Some of their actions have nothing to do with saving animals, and put hundreds of people in danger. One of my friends who has been a member of PETA for a long time recently pulled her membership when she found out that PETA supports ALF.

blakangel
ouch! that hurts Im part of the SHAC as well...

I would condemn anyone who turns to terrorist actions ; I know its wrong. But the fact is generally every liberating group as its extremists.

I know about the terrorism behind the organisation. but the SHAC is not a violent organisation. Well every member Ive spoke to is nothing like how the have projected there.

Most of the people within these groups are not as they've stereotyped. But I think when animal cruelty hurts as much as it does me; and people are so narrow minded and ignorant about it all.... it can fustrate and drive you to do the wrong thing.

Btw...all PETA members have different ideas on what 'liberation' may mean; although some more be extreme on the definition. But every member Ive spoke to all have different opinions.

Not sure if everything is different in the UK though....so embarrasment

julibug
That's cool. I didn't mean to make it sound like you were a terrorist or anything. I'm just saying be careful who you affiliate with. I'm sure that both PETA and ALF have done some wonderful things for animals. You might check into the World Wildlife Fund. As of yet, I've not heard anything to incriminating about them. I know that here in the states, the Humane Society and I think it's ASPCA, are both pretty reputible. smile

blakangel
Thanks..
Yeah I support WWF...(well I give donations and do voluntary support)

but they're more a charity than a action group.

I know Im not stupid enough to get involved in anything terrorist and Im more likely to stop it.

I didn't mean for this topic to turn into a heated debate.... Its just to inform people. embarrasment

Its just some peoples views really hurt when they seem not to care. I cant help but just get really upset that people think its funny that animals are being tortured and kept in such poor conditions. sad

sorry

xx

Ushgarak
Well, as I have hinted before, blakangel, that is a wall you will find impossible to break; you will almost uniformally find what you would consider to be either callousness or hypocricy. Either people don't care, or they say they do but do nothing about it. Unless you are lucky enough to find another like yourself here, of course.

julibug
Well, blakangel, I appreciate your sincerety & concern for animals. I love animals, too. My only concern is the unbalanced approach I see from a lot of animal rights activitsts. As to some of the other comments on this thread, I wouldn't take them too seriously. People love to provoke! stick out tongue

happy kine
i am a bit torn on animal testing... we shouldn't be testing products on tasty animals. cows are way too good to eat to be testing stuff on them. but really... what about suffering humans?

p.e.t.a. People Eating Tasty Animals!

julibug
HK, did you go to the site I posted earlier?

finti
hmm maybe I join a boat and hunt some whales

yerssot
what has tex done wrong this time, fint?

must_kill_Santa
noo leave the animals alone yerssle tell then to leave the animals alone

finti
moby dick is going down , going down ,going down
moby dick is going down, goooiing doown

yerssot
er... fint? ... mighty norseman...er;.. could you ...hm... er... please... don't hurt the animals?

finti
well we could start to go lothing and pillaging around Europe again

yerssot
be my guest smile

must_kill_Santa
NOO leave the animals alone evil ill cry again

yerssot
shss, he'll pillage europe and leave the animals aloen!

BackFire
He'll pillage europe looking for animals to kill maybe.

yerssot
hope he'll kill duracell bunnies

must_kill_Santa
just those bunnies no otha animals right yerssle

yerssot
definitly!

finti
belgians is top of the list, least worthy kill, but their whining and pleading is fun to watch before ......devil

must_kill_Santa
NNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
dont be so evil dont you care that ill cry

yerssot
oh, do tape it, would ya? smile

must_kill_Santa
wo tme crying *falls to floor and cries*

happy kine
haha... i actually got that from a different site. but it seems that there are more of us anti-peta people out there. its too funny we don't even have the ethical treatment of people muchless animals...

must_kill_Santa
*cries*

yerssot
what's wrong mks?

must_kill_Santa
the evil boys want to kill all the animals

yerssot
nono, just one norwegian

must_kill_Santa
really

julibug
EXACTLY!

must_kill_Santa
evil boys arent gonna hurt the animals yay

BackFire
I just shot a stra dog.

julibug
Why?

must_kill_Santa
NOOOO evil boy

BackFire
Because I knew people would get upset.

julibug
Ahh, still provoking I see! roll eyes (sarcastic)

BackFire
It's what I do best.

Tired Hiker
I can't believe you killed that poor innocent stray dog, Backfire! I'm so disappointed in you! You didn't even torture it first?!!!

Tired Hiker
I'm against animal testing because if they get better scores than humans, who knows what could happen?!!!

julibug
laughing out loud

Fire
Nah I haven't boycotted companies for it, for if I did I'd have very lil food left.
only thing I do boycott are Israelian products, but we won't be going into that I guess. smile

again, some ppl just over do the caring for animals, you see it all the time with pets, I'm not saying we have the right to torture animals as we see fit. But I think that since we are the dominant species on the earth we can use certain animals to make sure we don't *fck up our own survival in some way.
Also it aint like they are causing harm to the ecosystem or anything like that since most of those test animals have been bred only for the purpose of doing TESTs on them.
If they were to use chinese or bengal Tigers or something like that, now that'd be a different story. but Bred mice or chickens COMMON PPL FFS

LanceWindu
Poor Thumper...he had it coming though sounding like a chick when he was a boy...

Fire
righton lance

LanceWindu
* takes a bow *

finti
better bow with your back agains the wall , there is a stray dog that hump anything

LanceWindu
Oh thanks for the heads up...* backs up to the wall *

Exa
Poor animals sad I hate testing on animals

But how can you test Bounty? And toothbrushes??

Fire
well they prolly have animals eat it to look for side effects of the chemical crap they put into candybars
and toothbrushes, to see how soon hairs will fall out

BackFire
*steps on a mouse*

Exa
Omg Ō.o

Fire
hehe

NyC-gUrL
Tampax is tested on animals??? confused you forgot L'oreal btw

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.