Warner Brother asking for too much money

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Joseph_Kerr
Our local independent theatre along with 75% of the 200 independent theatre's in our area may not carry Matrix: Revolution because Warner Brother's is asking too much money. The manager told me that they are demanding a 4 week block (which she says Reloaded was popular for only 2 weeks here, so she doubts she can keep it going for 4 weeks).

If she was to have the theatre booked for all four weeks.. she would still loose money. For that reason alone, she has refused the movie. Warner brother's is bugging her booky that they do not have enough screens. Well duh! How can these thatres carry this movie when they can't even break even with the theatre being full at capacity every night?

Warner Brother's needs to rethink their pricing.

I hate to see Matrix: Revolution suffer because Warner Brother's has become greedy. mad

dave123
yes, but u must also take into account sales of popcorn, soft drinks, sweets, etc.... which is how they get lots of their money, THEY ARE ALL OVER-PRICED.

they would still make $$$ from that, just not much

sith_darth_jay
no matter the movie is great............

sith_darth_jay
don't mind my last post, someone other than me wrote it, a friend of mine, a newbie, sorry

dave123
just edit it

forumcrew
u let a newbie have access to the system? he could be any one of us.. in any thread.. ::hides in teh corner:: remembers to just say no

sith_darth_jay
sorry she is a friend of mine who thought she was posting with her own account, it won't happen again, she was using my computer

forumcrew
--peaks out-- What the f**k? ...ok it appears to be safe now.. feww

tshirt
Actually, the popcorn, etc. is the way theaters make most of their profits. When you buy a ticket at a theater, it is not a simply split (say 50-50) between the theater and the movie maker (or producer, in this case WB).

There is usually some kind of sliding scale split based upon how long the movie has been out. In the beginning, this sliding scale favors the producers, in the end it leans more toward the theater.
For example:
1st week, the split might be 75-90% to the producer (WB), 10-25% to the theater.
2nd week, the split moves to something like 66% producer/33% theater.
3rd week 50-50,
4th week, etc.

Because so much of the movie proceeds in the first two weeks go to the producers the theaters really make money on the popcorn and stuff. This is also why you see companies really pushing for a big opening weekend. After 2 weeks, you get almost no promotion of the movie, which usually results in the theater being empty.

Becuase of this deal, the theaters need people to buy the overpriced food to make a profit.

When movie companies ask for an extended engagement, (Star Wars has done this each time) it is out of the ordinary. It is also frowned upon by the theaters because 3-4 weeks after a movie opens, the theater may only be 25% full. While they get money from each patron, if the theater is 100% full, because of an opening weekend, the theater will actually make more money on the popcorn and soda because they do not share these profits with the movie company. Hence, ergo, indubitably, quid pro quo, therefore and hereinforeverafter, theaters do not want to do these long deals which will lead to empty theaters for several weeks.

dave123
thats what i said, i spend more money on snacks than i do on the ticket smile

Joseph_Kerr
Sorry, but that won't work. We are talking about the movie itself. Even if she books the theatre at 100% compacity (196 seats) for 4 weeks she will not break even. Where at with Lord of the Rings.. she only needs 50 seats to break even.

burlyman
you buy them at the cinema blink

get them at the cheap shop and sneak em in smile

BIOS
Just tell her there is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path

dragonpisces272
hehe, burlyman, we have the same technique!! laughing out loud

burlyman
i thought everyone did that

i stole a drink from the odeon once shifty all the guys were busy so i sneaked it in to the screen

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.