Elvish writing

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

tiger lilly
okay, i love the elvish language, so much so im thinking of getting it tatooed somewhere on me, but i dont know what to get.... blink

i think to read its so elegent, and to listen to its lovely, but id like something meaninful, and this is where u lot post somethin that wud be a good idea to get a tatoo of, or to tell us if u have any?

help me people!

Arwenishott
put something such as love, or grace, or justice, or something that u feel describes u best....maybe none of those qualities describe u

drunk_nazgul
Maybe flower. If you know the names of any specific flowers... but, no... Try "Silvan" or something... I wanted the word "Queen," but I can't have one... stick out tongue

BingaBonga
Sorry tiger lilly, but are you sure that you want to get elvish tatooed, but then again, i'm strongly against tatooes ever since my sister all of a sudden came home from chicago and showed us her tatoo on her ankle... sad

OrliNElijahsGrl
im thinking about too getting some sort of elvish writing tattoo on my ankle, i was wanting to get the 9 thing in elvish like the whole fellowship did, but im not sure, should i? Or what is something i could get? Maybe love in elvish, or angel in elvish!! hehehe

my friend said she would give me one for free!!

turin
awesome! i was thinking of one as well. i found a pic of a cool tattoo and i also thought of tolkiens logo or something. here they are.

turin
heres the other one

Exa

Exa
Wow cool 8o 8o

Though I cant read / understand it, what does it say?
Dhw(u?)dw(u?)sntthbgnmb btt??(or is that three letters?)bgnmb
confused dunno that mode

Corlindel
The tatto in his arm says " My name is Bond, James Bond" big grin

turin
at first i was thinking it was the whole one ring to rule them all thing, but looking at it, it aint what i thought. i am going to have to try and figure it out but i am willing to bet its the dudes name, maybe?!?!?

tiger lilly
the tolkien logo i was thinking of getting, but i felt i needed some more ideas before doin anythin so drastic as to getting it tatooed on me for eternity....

Exa
The strange thing is that there don't seem to be any vowels except perhaps the second and fourth letter (u?) and maybe the ?sixth? in the second part, this orphaned line which could be an i.
Seems to be a totally new and also totally different system, a full modus where one row of the basic signs (or even all?) are used in an absolutely other way than usually.
Would also seem logical if the rows five and six (usually used for nasals and additive sounds OR double-nasals and nasals in Beleriand mode) are taken as vowels... would be far better readable then.
Or it is the transcription of a text in of the writing systems related to hebrew and other eastern writing systems where you don't write vowels.

turin
nice, you seem quit the cunning linguist. English class was my worst subject through out highschool and college, so trying to decifer different languages and stuff would not be my strong point, hehehehe, owell.

OrliNElijahsGrl
OOO wow!!! thats neat! Im hoping to get one, im still deciding what to get

hehehe i thought the thing on the arm was the one ring thing too

haha

Exa

Exa
As there are no diacritics and no letters from the last three rows and the writer doesnt use the doubleline for ?tt, it's also possible that it doesnt use the usual logic of what the signs are supposed to mean but instead uses letter1 for a, letter2 for b and so on so the whole thing isnt really a phonetic system anymore but a letter-for-letter-transcription, I'll try.

ShireGirl
Where do you find out how to translate words into elvish. I've searched the net and came up with a few things, but nothing solid... no expression

Elessar12
I'm new to this site and was curious if anyone could help me. I'm trying to find graphic (pictures) of the elvish language, in hopes to get a clear enough view to get a tattoo. I was hoping to maybe find the alphabet of elvish somewhere, so I can get initials tattooed on my back.
Can anyone help me, please!!! roll eyes (sarcastic)

mah
Maybe here http://www.elvish.org/resources.html

eldarion
HI. I too was thinking of getting another tatoo in some elvish language but since then I have been very worried that I would translate it wrong or the artist would write it wrong. Once that happens you're pretty much messed. So I've changed my mind and am going for the horse head of Rohan; the one you see in the background of many documentaries and the extended edition of TTT and also on some of the downloadable desktops. That way it is a lot less likely to get messed up! Good luck.

Exa
It's sometimes quite difficult to translate single words because of their differring meanings, but there are some quite good sites - you find very good wordlists at ardalambion http://www.ardalambion.com/ fx quenya here http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/qlist.htm but only quenya-english. After some minutes of searching you might also find the english-quenya-one for download wink

Welcome wink

There are no single alphabets for Tengwar (and if there are, dont trust them wink )
What are your initials?

LegolasIsMyMan
This all seems so complicated, I would love to learn the language , so that i could speak it but, oh gosh, it seem so hard

bLooMiLiCioUs
tell me abt it man...but i reealllyyy wanna learn *sob* maybe we cld get orli to do an international course on how to speak elvish eek!

Exa

shadow link
wat kind of elvish is that though

qenya or sindarin

coz i started to learn quenya recently then saw that its like not the main one, is sindarin the main one, if someone says they can spea elvish wat kind do they mean

like wat kind is used in the movie

Exa
This is Sindarin, obviously, just look at the first word - suilad CAN'T be Quenya.

There is no real "main one", Sindarin was more often used as a maternal language or just speaking while Quenya was kinda more serious and used for science - like modern Latin.

If somebody says he speaks elvish (which few people can say without lying), he probably means Sindarin though Quenya is more common for spells or stuff like that.

In the movie, they used both, but for normal speech Sindarin (like Aragorn and Arwen, Arwen and Elrond etc), Quenya is for example used for Saruman's spell on Caradhras while Gandalf uses Sindarin to calm the mountain down - that shows the using and the character of both languages quite good, I think.

Phaentiss
Tatto

I'm looking for the actual spelling for the words 'Angel' and 'Eagle' in Sindarin or any elvish language.
And by that I mean IN elvish, not english pronunciation or spelling.
Anyone know where I can find this???

HELP!!!

bLooMiLiCioUs
laughing out loud hey i was kidding if i ever went to a class where the teacher is ORLI there's NO WAY i cld learn the subject anyway!!laughing

omg this is soo cool damn it it's so hard to learn tho -and the pronunciation n phonetics...oh man....

Issi
"Sorry but you are only allowed to post links once you are more well known. This is to deter spammers. Thank you for understanding"
haha very funny - I would've posted some very useful links but hey...

> Exa: you forgot some lenition in your sentences, "meneg hennaid" should actually be hennaid venig and "cuio mae" ought to be cuio vae.

So much for the insufferable know-it-all *lol*

Suilaid vilui (means "friendly greetings"wink

bLooMiLiCioUs
omg ppl i wanna learn elvish but i dunno where to start!!!

Camellia
I want to get something too - 'strength' I rather like the idea of....(as in mind, not body)

Exa
cuio mae is a writing mistake, youre right

why make the plural for "thousand"? isnt that already plural enough?
ps meneg hennaid isnt my own creation wink but comes from some mail answer from the admin of elvish.org wink wink
is it attested that numbers have to be used AFTER the nouns?

ldyoflothlorien
i would like to get hope in Quenya on my ankle but i already found the meaning i want the script...any help?

Exa
You mean Estel?
Strange, I wrote the same word for someone else some time ago big grin
If you want, I can send you a scan or something.

lostelinion
hey guys and gals, lostelinion son of erinion gilgalad at your service.
i recently got a elvish tattoo
it read, Learn from the past, Live the present, Build the future.
I translated it into elvish using a book on the language.
i'm trying to learn how to speak it but its pretty difficult.

Exa
Cool..... how did you translate the word "present"?

aniron
I know this is off subject but my friends and I wanna get a "P" on our arms so that we are branded as pirates.
I wouldn't mind elvish, how big are you willing to have your tattoo?

aniron
www.ardalambion.com it has great but hard elvish language courses.

geggie
I want a tattoo in elvish script meaning the word love. Ive found the word in elvish but I cant find any site to help me translate it into the actual script. Can anyone help me out here..Im so confused.

Exa
Love is Meleth in Sindarin; I don't know the Quenya word. If you want I can try to transcribe it with the font but I dunno yet if that will work

Exa
Im just trying something

Does my attach work? It should be "love" in Sindarin

Exa
Meleth vv

shit kmc doesnt take .shs or .doc sad

Exa
Ok finally it worked... this is "love" in elvish:

tiger lilly
ah my lordy thats gorgeous! i want that!

tiger lilly
like tatooed on me somewhere...

azszhz
Elvish is so beautiful. if i got a tattoo i'd want it to say
"In the land of Mordor were the shadows lie" that was always my favorite part of the one ring poem

Exa
In elvish writing? cool ^^
But which language, Black Language? English? Elvish?

SeXyChIcK989

azszhz
i haven't made up my mind on the black language or elvish. which is why i don't have it yet, also my age is kind of a problem right now.

Exa
As it's very complicated for me to post elvish writings here in the forum, I sent you a mail with your and your friend's name in elvish writing.

@azszhz: If you want I can give you some different possibilities for this sentence in differend languages and writings.

azszhz
ok that would be cool

geggie
thank you so much! You're an abosolute star! Lol. Ive been searching 4 ages 4 that and finally I can go and get my tattoo done!! Thanks again! big grin

Exa
@azszhz: Ok Im working on it but might take some time as I have to do lots of other stuff and writing with this tengwar font is quite complicated

stick out tongue
Perfect... can you post a photo or something when you have it?

enya
im tryin to learn elvish now its really hard, i know sum1 who is saving this programme u can follow to learn it onto a disk for mme, when i get more details, i will tell u

i think the tatoo idea iz really good, and whilst on the subject is it true dat elllijah showed his tatoo and orlando was upset?

going to bed now, good night

'Quel du

geggie
yeah course i can, i cant get it done til my easter hols tho cos i havent got time 2 go now but i will do.

Exa
Cool ok smile
lookin forward to see it wink

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.