Is the EpII title still too cheesy?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

yerssot
The title is out now, for a month (well, almost)
There are now other discussions in progress so the title-discussion has cooled down; after long not thinking about it (or is it the other way around??) what is your opinion now?

sand person no. 10
it is growing on me, for someone who hasn't read the scriptments (still waiting hint hint) it does kind of give away some of the plot, although i was never that opposed to it in the first place, I was shuddering at the thought of "Rise of the Empire" and other lame efforts, at least its original.

Ushgarak
The cheese factor does not change; merely people's attitude to and acceptance of that cheese.

I think people are coming more and more around to it. It will cease to have much meaning before long other than being an SW title.

Texas
I, one of the titles fierce opponents, have to admit that I have accepted the cheese. What can I say?! it's grown on me, it sounds like a lot of fun! smile

Zereil
I may love the film when it comes out but I am lactose intolerant and the title makes me want a drink every time I hear it uggghh....

queeq
Give yourself to the title, Zereil. It is the only way. evil face

Zereil
Your not my father, nnnnnoooooooooooooooooooo....

yerssot
I didn't liked TPM untill after I saw it.
I HOPE it is the same witht AOTC, but hey! What can you do about it?

Zereil
well thousands could complain bitterly in the hope of a change...

Ushgarak
Let go of your anger, Zereil...

King Jedi
After the initial shock, I really liked it and I still feel the same. It's exciting. smokin'

queeq
I liked TPM,actually. THe movie did less for me, unfortunately.

But AOTC, heck, this film's gonna be great and I like this militant title.

King Jedi
I still can't understand why people saw the words "attack" and "clones" in the title but didn't like it.

sand person no. 10
what were people expecting. "the clones play at make believe"?

queeq
Well, it wasn't all too clear what the clones were and what they were supposed to do.

But I think what put most people off is the fifties sound of it. But I like that.

LanceWindu
I was never against the title. I also like the 50's B movie type things.

queeq
And of course, it's still cheesy. It's supposed to be that.

yerssot
That is the problem, queeq, some guys don't like the cheesy thing

Zereil
I dont like Cheese at all, thats why I'd like to see both Steps and S Club 7 grilled slowy over a large camp fire before being hacked into tiny pieces and the basted and chargrilled, then it may be the best I'd ever taste of them...

queeq
But SW has always been cheesy. So it's rather odd to call yourself a SW fan and hate the cheesy side of it. It's part of SW and not everyone likes SW. That's their right. But to like SW and hate the cheesiness, that sounds like a contradiction to me.

Zereil
No you see at the same time a being dissmissive of cheesiness I like a bit of classisist fantasy, particularly with hint of romance. This is what Star Wars represents as such I never notice this form of cheese, that is far more subtle and blends in harmlessly. Blunt heavy hitting slabs of cheese that are thrown in your face however are not appreciated. Hence the slaughter of Steps and S Club 7

queeq
Heck, you don't know too much about the movie yet. Except for the title. In relative terms that may feel as a slab of cheese, that's because it's the biggest chunk of confirmed info so far. In the end it may feel only as a slice. rest assured.

jedi212guy
I hope so. smile

queeq
It better be. If AOTC is like TPM then I'm reconsidering if the PT should be in MY canon.

King Jedi
Well that's your choice. As long as you accept that it will be most people. smile

Ushgarak
Literally speaking there are no such things as personal canons...

sand person no. 10
how about the human cannonballs, you don't think they share one big cannon do you! big grin

Ushgarak
I doubt that they OWN the cannon they are in, it would be the company cannon...

sand person no. 10
perhaps the circus cannon?

Ushgarak
I think the circus is a company. Businessmen in clown costumes are srill businessmen.

Best get back on topic before Gundy freaks out about clowns.

I think Zereil does have a bit of a point, though. The title is a whole different thing to waht most SW fans have encountered before.

King Jedi
Great. Then it will be a new experience for a lot of people. I hope it starts a trend.

The Indy films all have 50's titles as well. "Temple Of Doom", "Raiders Of The Lost Ark". They are more retro than "Attack of the Clones".

Ushgarak
Temple of Doom, yes, but I disagree on the other two. Raiders of the Lost Ark and Last Crusade have a very different feel to them.

King Jedi
They are exactly the same. Read some of the stuff on the title at TFN. There are links to movie poster sites from the fifties and they have titles like this.
One of them is "Raiders of a Fallen City". I'll post it if I can work out how.

queeq
What's wrong with having a personal canon?

And I'll probably be a sucker for Ep2 as well.

Ushgarak
Because it is a redundant concept...

Well, Raiders of the Lost Ark always sounded pretty cool to me.

jedi212guy
I think that "The Temple of Doom" did sound pretty chessy, unlike the other two. It was also my least favorite of the Indiana Jones Trilogy. sad I hope this isn't a sign for AOTC

LanceWindu
"The Last Crusade" was my fav out of the Indy series.

queeq
Raiders is the best forever.

LanceWindu
"Raider's" is a very good movie, but I'm sticking by "Last Crusade".

queeq
You can do that, if you want. But Raiders IS the better film. big grin

yerssot
The only 'cheesy' title of Indiana Jones is maybe Temple of Doom, but I don't think that that are cheesy names

btw:
I STILL don't like the epII title (I don't say the name for that reason)

King Jedi
To me as well. I love titles like that because they are different and exciting.

Ushgarak
Oh indeed. However, and I think most have agreed, the title 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' is nothing like 'Attack of the Clones'. Only Temple of Doom is (and they don;t seem to like that one...)

queeq
Temple of Doom was okay. I mean it wasn't any thing like Attack of the Gargonites or something.

King Jedi
Did anyone find the little kid (shortround, I think) annoying in Temple Of Doom? I was reading something the other day and it said that he was more unpopular than Jar Jar when it was released but now people love him.

Dim
I never had a problem with him..but I was 10 at the time..

I still think we're just too early in judging the title yet..we have no real visuals to place it with..other than Jango with an umbrella in the rain.

yerssot
The first time I saw the pic I knew that the umbrella was going to be replaced by some sort of weapon

jedi212guy
Dang it! I was hoping that Jango would sing "Singing in the Rain!" roll eyes (sarcastic) roll eyes (sarcastic)

yerssot
At least that is what I hope!!!

King Jedi
He's not going to attack someone with an umbrella. He's not the Penguin.

yerssot
And for that, I think the umbrella would be overdone with fx

sand person no. 10
didn't think umbrella's existed in the sw's universe

Jameous Woodshire
What are you talking about!?! It shoots poison gas just like the Penguin's!

*wrestle keyboard back from local Batman Lunitic*
Anyway, just look at my sig. It's on SW.C it's CANON! wink wink wink

yerssot
Yeah sure, but you know that sw.com always changes stuff

Dim
laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud
That's funny, Jamous!

Anyway, if they can have braces on a little girl they can have umbrellas..

darth fester
whos got braces

yerssot
In TPM, when Annakin is preparing his podrace togather with Padme and Jar Jar, there are a few kids that arrive and they talk to Annakin. The one that says: "It's never going to run." Is wearing braces. She is the daughter of ???

Ushgarak
SW.C is NOT canon...

King Jedi
What is Star Wars C?

yerssot
sw.c= http://www.starwars.com

King Jedi
Okay.

I think of it as cannon.

yerssot
Remember they change stuff from time to time

Ushgarak
You can think of it as canon all you like, KJ but you'd be wrong. Lucasfilm themselves define canon as the films, books, screenplays and radio dramas. Nothing else at all. And the last three are only 'semi-canon'.

yerssot
So for savety, we only take the film as canon, remember ROTJ by Del Rey? That's why

King Jedi
Ush are you saying that when the OS announces that Jango Fett is in AOTC and gives info about him, then it's not cannon?

Ushgarak
In actual fact it is not, no. Even though it is almost certainly true.

jedi212guy
I would say that what was at the sw site is canon, but I'm sure that is disputable.

yerssot
They change the database at LEAST once a week, not big changes but none the last changes

Ushgarak
Once again, I must remind people that canon is NOT a matter of opinion. What is canonical is set by George Lucas himself. He has delegated that task to the Production and Cotinuity department., They have decided that only the four things I mentioned, and really only the films, are canonical.

NOTHING else is, regardless of opinion. Other people's views simply have no say in the matter. Canon has been decided.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.