Jedi Mind Tricks

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

LanceWindu
How come in TPM when Qui-Gon is trying to use mind tricks on Watto, he doesn't know mind trick don't work on Toydarians? Since Qui-Gon is a Jedi Master he should know which species he can use his "magic" on. Right?

Ushgarak
It's a VERY big Galaxy. Even Qui-Gon hasn't seen EVERYTHING. Remember how amusing he finds Anakin's question 'Has anyone ever been to them all?', asking about the stars.

'Not likely!' replies Qui-Gon, at such a question.

There are countless planets and races out there, and there is only so much you can know.

Ratcat
Take an example closer to home, how much do you know about the tribes of africa or the religious practices of Eskimos?

Shouldn't you know these, you live on the samne planet after all.

LanceWindu
Yousa point is well seen

jedi212guy
Besides, Tatooine isn't exactly the place that you visit often. wink

yerssot
AND I think that Watto is the only Toydarian on Tatooine. You can't know everything

LanceWindu
But the Jedi have a huge database full of the species and of individual people. The database travels back thousands of years.

yerssot
So?
I have a large library at home, but do you think that I know every book of it?

btw:
"Whatta think you are? A Jedi with your hand waving around like that? I'm a Toydorian! Mindtricks don't work with me, only money."

You can say that HE is imune and the other Toydorians not. Mindtricks don't work on my species.
That would say that he and others are imune. He doesn't say that

Ushgarak
Possibly, but that is over-extrapolation. The presented scenario is that Toydarians are immune.

LanceWindu
Yeah

yerssot
There are thousands of species, they could know that but what I know is thatt QGJ is a human with a limited amount of 'capacity'.

ToMacco
George Lucas has a way of dealing with script flaws like this: he just says "oh, it'll be explained later."

Ratcat
I don't think ot needs to be. I believe Wattos "Mind tricks don't work on me." statement says it all. Toydarians, like Hutts, are immune to the Jedi mind trick.

yerssot
There are a lot of things that people don't know, like ysalamari, that took them years to find out.

Texas
No Excuse, Qui-Gon should of studied more about different aliens in Jedi School roll eyes (sarcastic)

yerssot
Do you know how much aliens there are in the SW gal???
You can't know everything about them

ToMacco
In TPM, Qui-Gon used minds tricks to fool Boss Nass into giving them a ship and Jar Jar. Then why did he tell Obi-wan that they couldn't use mind tricks to persuade the Gungans to fight at the end?

yerssot
I don't know were this is said confused confused confused

Ratcat
That's total BS, it was never said. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Ushgarak
He said that 'we cannot use our powers to help'

I assumed that this means they could not use their mind powers to convince Boss Nass to help them.

This may be because that Qui-Gon had no authority to draw someone else into the war like that, or because Amidala had asked him not to.

yerssot
This is explained BUT it is eu, but almost said in every book so I guess it's not that bad:

Valorum told them to help Amidala, not letting her killed, Valorum didn't asked to help with a war, he asked to help her. THAT was there mission, nothing else.

Viseus
I suppose this is a bit EU, but do any of you know how common it is for species to be immune to jedi mind tricks? We know of the toydarians and the hutts, but are there others? If there are only a handfull of known species with this immunity, I would assume that all jedis would learn about them. If there are hundreds, it would be understandable that one didn't know of them all.

yerssot
there are also a lot of unknown species, like in the Deep Core section, so it's difficult, and you can't study everything, not only about the species but everything!
Perhaps, they had no pictures with some species...

King Jedi
I think a Jedi using his powers to free Jar Jar and get transport is one thing but using them to trick an entire species to fight and die is another.

If Qui-Gon used a mind trick to get the Gungans to fight then he would be just like a Sith.

yerssot
good point, but I find it a shame that you can't get the EU involved in it.

But you can say that he got the mission to defend the queen and NOT starting a war; because the queen wasn't near it than

jedi212guy
I thought that his sole mission as defined by the Council was to defend Amidala. I had no authority to try and take ou the Trade Federation.

yerssot
that's what I ment...

King Jedi
But it wouldn't have been right for him to trick the Gungans into fighting anyway. Especially as some of them died.

yerssot
why that? Jedi's are supposed to respect every lifeform (well, after OB1 that is wink ) so they can't do that for the fun of it

FireMaster
well this is about a jedi trick, it ain't mind trick but still a jedi trick

the force choke
yerssot just told me luke uses it in ROTJ

I am wondering where exactly

and isn't force choke a darkside trick??

Ushgarak
Technically, there is no such thing as a Dark Side 'power', I mean there is just the Force, and how you use it. Choking is just using telekinesis to strangle someone.

But there are just things Light Side Jedi won't DO with the Force, whereas someone as callous as Vader would, focussing his hate in order to use the Force to directly kill someone.

Meanwhile, Luke a. didn't kill the guards with it and b. he was meant to be morally dubious in ROTJ.

FireMaster
okie

good enough of a reply

and ush. I know there is just the force but things only the dark side use are in simple dark side tricsk

yerssot
where does this bring the Force-choke?

King Jedi
Like Ush said, we weren't meant to know for sure if Luke was going to stay on the good side in ROTJ. He's dressed completely in black and uses the choke hold which we saw so much from Vader in ESB.

Everything looked like he was on the edge right up until the last scenes where he threw his sabre away.

yerssot
but still he used something that only dark jedis do and he came back...

King Jedi
Came back from where?

The choke hold was meant to make us think that he might turn to the dark side.

yerssot
He choked the guards and he wasn't turned to evil...

King Jedi
Did you expect him to?

yerssot
an evil Luke? would be great I think...

FireMaster
well as far as I'm concerned he didn't choke the guards I think there is room to discuss that but it doesn't matter luke was on the good side after all, and I never doubted it really.

BtW luke his black suit is kinda cool I think

yerssot
have you compared the images yet?

King Jedi
What images?

yerssot
Firemaster has two tv's and two vcr's next to eachother and he said that he would compare Luke and the guards and Vader and Motti

Ushgarak
You don't need a comparison. It;s the way the guards fall back clutching their throats that gives it away.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.