Requiem for a Dream

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Texas
Has anyone seen this movie? It's awesome, great directing, acting and plot. The camera techniques are like none I have ever seen before. It's disturbing, but that's a good thing. Rent it, you wont regret it!

mah
I haven't seen it, but I just found out that it's coming for a re-run at the cinema here so I'm definetly gonna see it. smile smile

Texas
Ohhhh I almost forgot, rent the DVD, it's the unedited NC-17 version, the VHS is edited, and isn't as disturbing as the original version

ToMacco
I heard the movie was good. I'll check it out.

mah
i've seen it now, and it's good all right. my! i felt all dizzy afterwards.

Texas
Yeah I felt that way too! Now shouldn't Ellen Brystn have gotten an Oscar? I cant believe that gave it to that no talent Julia Roberts! That just proves that the Oscars are nothing but a popularity contest roll eyes (sarcastic)

J-ROC
What is that crazy music playing at the beginning of the movie? It's like an orchestra warm up or somethn?! IT's SO ****n scary!!!! I WANNA DOWNLOAD somethin like that- but dont know what to call it....you know what im talkn about?!?!

It's played during the whole scene where Sara locks herself in the closet- Harry takes the TV, almost breaks it....etc etc

cool

mechmoggy
I don't know, that film disturbed me so much I'm trying to block it from my memory. Damn you Backfire. sad

mah
its Composed byClint Mansell, performed by the Kronos Quartet.
great soundtrack

BackFire349
good mech, thats its point. yeah, the music is some of the best music ever in a movie.

ToMacco
I still havn't seen this movie. Does that make me a bastard?

BackFire349
no, it makes you someone who hasnt seen one of th ebest movies in the past 20 years

mechmoggy
Don't do it To, its like taking a bad acid trip. sad

The film is good but I watched it the day after a serious drinking session and I had that horrible "day after" feeling. I was low and grumpy, so it wasn't the ideal film for me to watch I suppose.

J-ROC
Alrighty....still my question stands. roll eyes (sarcastic)

BackFire349
no ones supposed to feel good after watching it, i was in a funk for the next 2 days after i saw it for the first time. but its an unarguably brilliant movie which will probably in 30 years be looked at the way clockwork orange is looked at now.

J-ROC
Clockwork Orange was good! cool

BackFire349
yes it is

Tex
It was good.
Especially the parts with Ellen Brystrn, when the refrigerator goes after her!
Genius!

pippy
I love this movie. Mind you, I was severely disturbed after watching it. Just like Kids and Gunmo. *shiver* But Requiem for a Dream was much more disturbing because it was written like a tragedy.

Did you guys see the new Two Towers Trailer? They used the same music for it. OMG. now that was a trailer.

mah
yes..I am puzzled on why they had that music in it

J-ROC
But that song from Requiem wasn't in Requiem- It was just the theme. I thought it was wicked though.

pippy
That song is very wicked indeed. I still think Ellyn Burston deserved the Oscar that year. She was amazing!

mah
hear!

BackFire349
yeah, that was a performance that will go down in history as one of the best ever, right along with jack nicholson in cuckoos nest and the shining, and tom hanks in forrest gump and was teh best performance by a female since louis fletcher as nurse ratchet in cuckoos nest. but i guess the oscars liked julia "horse face" roberts for her generic performance in erin brockavich

kychesu
Requiem, i thought, was a masterpiece. although disturbing at times

BackFire349
yep, great movie with great music.

pippy
I heard that Aaronfsky is doing the next Batman. I just don't think his style is "PG-13" Thoughts?

J-ROC
I want a violent R Rated Batman with the F word used atleast once. We need to get away from the shitty kiddy Batman & Robin style and we need the good ol DARK TIM BURTON style. Is Batman called Year One or Fallen Crusader????????? I heard both were in talks.

pippy
I'm with you! Unfortunately, the movie will make much more money if they made it PG-13. I'll still see though. Arronofsky is one of my favorite directors.

BackFire349
it will be a great movie, it will be more of a drama though, as its about how batman becamce batman, it will be very dark and probably very disturbing.

Pho
Does anyone know the name of the music in the beggining of the trailer at Apple.com? (http://www.apple.com/trailers/artisan/requiem.html

Tony Montana
Alright I hope you guys still care about this topic because I joined these forums just to answer your question. The name of the song is "Lux Aeterna". If you go on Kazaa or any other program like Kazaa the lux aeterna's that pop up are like the version heard on The Lord Of The Rings 2 trailer. But is very well worth downloading. The version heard when Harry and Tyrone are pushing the T.V. across town in the beginning of the film is called "Summer Overture" and has a little more techno in it but is shorter than "Lux Aeterna". "Lux Aeterna" is around 6 mins long while "Summer Overture" is around 3mins. I believe there are a couple more variations of this song on the soundtrack which I am either going to download or buy very shortly. Luckily I just researched this all this crap because I needed to get the song and I stumbled across this site looking for a place to download the soundtrack. IF ANYONE KNOWS WHERE I CAN, I REPEAT CAN NOT "MIGHT" BE ABLE TO DOWNLOAD THE SOUNDTRACK WOULD BE VERY APPRECIATED!
Thanks and your welcome. lol

Faygo
I just wanted to say that this movie is a masterpiece. Great Acting, GREAT Portrayal of real life, and wonderful music. And to answer Tony Montanas question is..Imesh..(Maybe KaZaa) But today i was looking over the Listings for -Requiem for a Dream- and saw the whole soundtrack on there, It's about 50 MBs. Hope this helps. Good day =P

evildope
ya great movie man im only 15 and i used 2 be a dealer and the movie has changed my life. dont get me wrong i do still take some but not as much as before. i really loved the way it was set out and the muzic itz phat. do you think they will mek a second part , i really liked wayan hiz akting iz gr8t. this movie was an inspiration 4 me i hope they will be a second part.

noodles
See Last Exit To Brooklyn from the same author as Requiem For A Dream.

brownie
Exit to Brooklyn, is it like Requiem?

Ragnarokxviii
There are very few movies you see in a lifetime, that are mind blowing, spectacular, and unforgettable. This is one of them, Requiem For A Dream, I think, is quite possibly the greatest drama movie ever created, I literally cried at the end. The movie takes you on an emotional roller-coaster as it introduces you to the 4 main character, each character has a dream that their trying to accomplish, but as the movie goes on, drugs come into the picture and fate begins to play out it's inevitable role. This movie, is not for the faint of heart, or mind. It is one of the most powerful movies I've ever seen, Darren Aronofsky is a complete genius!
A must see!!!

Oh, the name of the Musical Score, or the main theme of the movie, is called "Requiem For A Dream" Full Orchestra. A very powerful musical score, try dowloading it from KaZaA.

Ragnarokxviii
There are very few movies you see in a lifetime, that are mind blowing, spectacular, and unforgettable. This is one of them, Requiem For A Dream, I think, is quite possibly the greatest drama movie ever created, I literally cried at the end. The movie takes you on an emotional roller-coaster as it introduces you to the 4 main character, each character has a dream that their trying to accomplish, but as the movie goes on, drugs come into the picture and fate begins to play out it's inevitable role. This movie, is not for the faint of heart, or mind. It is one of the most powerful movies I've ever seen, Darren Aronofsky is a complete genius!
A must see!!!

BackFire349
i agree totally. it was a modern masterpiece, that makes me weep like a ***** with a skinned knee every time i see it.

Dogbert
Hey, was this movie any good. I heard sum stuff bout this, is it worth renting this flick.

BackFire
Oh man, it's amazing man. See it ASAP, one of the best movies of the past 10 years. Be prepared though, it's extremely depressing...

I thought it was mad boring, and ****ing disgusting when he stuck the needle into his arm, oh god.

BackFire
You're in the minority there buddy, it's generally recognized as a masterpiece by everyone else I know who's seen it.

Tex
It was a masterpiece, and that horse face Julia Roberts stole the Oscar from Ellen Burstyn! mad

I didn't find it depressing.

BackFire
I sure did, probably the most emotionally devistating movie I've ever seen. Besides maybe Irreversible.

I agree, julia "horse face" roberts must have sucked alot of dicks to get that award that year. How atrocious.

Tex
I know! I mean Ellen Burstyn had to act like a refrigerator was out to get her ass! How many actresses could pull that off? And the scene with her in the subway?!? Oh Genius!!!

And that guys arm at the end sick

Man, Its been 2 years since I saw that movie. There should be an old thread about it someplace.

BackFire
You should buy it, it's a good one for any collection.

I haven't watched it for a while either, it's due for a viewing.

burlyman
yes this was wicked

Arachnoidfreak
I just finished watching this movie...and wow. I have a headache. Probably the most depressing movie I have ever seen.

It was awesome.

WindDancer
The story of 4 junkies heading into a spiral of destruction, drugs and pain. Didn't appeal to me. I didn't care for the characters or the storyline. The guy who directed this movie also directed Pi, and that one was more interesting to me than watching two crack heads lose their freedom, the girlfriend becoming a hooker, and the grandma going looney tunes. Which is what Requiem was about...a bunch of drug addict losers.

BackFire
Outstanding film, one of the most powerful ones I've ever seen. The only movie I've seen that honestly shows how a simple drug habbit can destroy a person, no matter how good their intentions are.

Ellen Burstyn deserved the oscar for her amazing performance.

Mr Zero
Ditto.

And - check out the newly released directors cut - if you thought it was grueling BEFORE... Oh dear...

BadKitty
I agree this movie was fantastic and very on the mark...I've personally have seen how drugs can ruin peoples lives...no one ever seen it coming.

this movie is very realistic.

BackFire
Did the directors cut just come out there in the UK? It's been available here in the states since the films dvd release. I've actually never seen the non directors cut.

Mr Zero
For some reason the version on 2 DVD was the theatrical release... I had to order the directors cut on R1.

Altar[1stONE]
id say its a good christmas movie. evil face

heh i say this cause last christmas they constantly repeated it on the indie movie channel. Which didnt bother me, that movie never dies and jared leto did an awesome job, really liked him in this movie.

The Redeemer
Like Kathy Bates did for DELORES CLAIBOURNE...or Jeremy Irons did for DEAD RINGERS and Bob Hoskins did for MONA LISA...

figo obsessed
I saw it 2 years ago and i was really agitated. I reemember that i was crying when i had a bath, and i was crying when i went to bed, and i was crying when i tried to sleep. so i don't like somebody who consider that Requiem for a dream is only the film about drugs. :/

Arachnoidfreak
Actually, it was about 4 people who just had dreams of doing something with their lives. A 'requiem' is a song for the dead, or funeral music. The title means that the dreams are dying. The old woman just wanted to look good for tv, and went insane from the diet pills. The girl wanted a fashion store, and became a hooker because of her addiction. The white guy just wanted for his mother and for his girlfriend to be happy. He tried selling drugs to get enough cash to buy his mother a tv, and his girlfriend a store. The black guy just wanted to impress his mother, who was dead, and helped the white guy sell drugs. This movies just shows that reality is a *****, and that their usually is no happy ending.

Oh, spoiler alert for anyone who didn't see the movie. wink

WindDancer
Grandma gets one of those "your a winner" phone calls and gets on diet because she thought she won. Now, how dumb is that old hag? she shoulda have known better the phone call was a scam. I guess she deserves that for being dumb! As for her junkie loser unemployed son I didn't even care about him. Damn idiot has an infected arm and still tries to shoot drugs up his veins. If these ppl had tragic fates is because they were weak and pretty dumb. Sorry but if the director wanted to make us feel sorry for the characters.....then he fail. I didn't pity them and they got what they deserve for being weak.

Prozak
I hired this movie on DVD after a review i read online called it 'The American Trainspotting'. Well i have to say that when i saw the film, given the expectations i had before seeing it i was incredibly shocked and a little down. But then again, i think that was meant to be the point of it...it's definately not a movie to watch if you feel a little low.

That said, if you want to see a movie that tackles drug addiction yet still shows a light at the end of the tunnel i'd recommend Trainspotting. While very thought provoking and shocking it also has lighter moments that will, literaly, bring you to tears.

figo obsessed
i agree with mr (or miss) prozak. Requiem for a dream always makes me think of trainspotting. But i see a lot of differences e.g. the convention of the film. if you compers them think about it smile

Arachnoidfreak
Do you have a goal or a dream in your life? Are you willing to do just about anything to do it? If so, you are weak, by your own argument.

You and I know the call was a scam, but call ANY old lady(in their 60s or older) nowadays, and you can prank them easily. Because they are old and don't actually know any better.

I'll agree, the guy was a jackass for shooting up in his infected arm, but that was when he became a ****in junkie bastard. what do you expect?

You know, normally I'd agree with you and call them weak, but I actually know people who'd act like this, and it is depressing to know that you can go from living the high life, with all the money in the world, to lying in a hospital bed with only one arm, miles away from anyone you care about.

WindDancer
I don't see how my goal or dream in life would have anything to do with a movie. Now, do you really think that ALL old ladies are dumb? Heck no! Some of them have live long enough to know about frauds and pesky sales people the old lady in this movie is just plain dumb. And again if the director wanted people to feel sorry for the characters then he failed. Because I didn't feel sorry for any of them. Maybe you have gentler heart for them. But I certainly didn't. They all got what they deserve for being dumb and junkies.

Oh boo-hoo! The guy loses his freedom and his girlfriend, That's what he gets for being an idiot and a Junkie. His buddy too! While they were driving on their way to pick up the dope he notices his friend arm all messed up. What does he do? Nothing! He lets his friend inject himself. Now what kind of a friend is he? Bah! He is an idiot too. I didn't feel sorry for any of them. So yeah, I lost interest near the end. After realising I was watching a movie about complete failures I lost interest.

Vampy
I saw this movie only once, and it really gave me a huge kick. I can't say I cried or took some ridiculous oath never to touch drugs. I just stared at my wall for a long time, digesting slowly what i just saw. It's terrifying how they show the characters' own world, mentality, thoughs and dreams, even halucinations caused by the drugs they take. I never had the balls to see it again and I don't think I'll do it. The one time was perfectly enough to show what the movie was supposed to show.

Masterpiece.

figo obsessed
i saw it twice, and i know that i'll see this film again. Good film is like a good book - both have a lots of meaning and when you see it once, twice or ten you always rediscover it.

Vampy
I'd actually prefer to keep my dinner in my stomach, thanks smile

furryman
Fantastic film! So's Pi.

lil bitchiness
I kinda avoided this, because i heard it was depressing, but ive finaly decided to watch it...and it was an amazing movie.

It is extreamly depressing, but extreamly well done thumb up

furryman
Some ex-druggees did a morning with my year last thursday. I asked one woman who'd been a wreck on heroin if she'd seen RfaD. She said it was absolutely true to life, and something along the lines that it's compulsory on their rehab course.

KillTheLight
I've seen the movie but i didn't get depressed like I thought I would.
but I guess maybe thats because Ive been come immune to that kind of stuff as i see it everyday.

MildPossession
The music doesn't help. Fabulous soundtrack to a fantastic film.

supertruper
So you are desensetized? Sounds like me. But this movie still got to me. Jared Letto is now in Alexander- cannot get more opposite than that.

Walfredo
I was disturbed byt his film. Obviously. It kinda reminded me of such films as American History X. Freak people out to the point that they pay attention to social problems. I kinda get bored of that reasoning. But the film was really well done...

KillTheLight
unfortuantly yes.

But if u like depressing movies I recommend 'House of sand and fogg'
Jennifer Connelys in this movie 2. I had no idea what the movie was about when i watched it i was like woah this is depressing.

mah
my favourite...pretty much of all time

SpideySense
This movie is brilliant, but I never EVER want to see it again.

If you want to be uplifted, this film isn't for you. It starts low and goes straight down from there. But what an incredible ride down it is!

Jes

BENDER_17
i cry`t like a baby at the end of the movie sad

mikey boy
what about those 2 girls with the double headed dildo! lol

i swear the dark haired girl was in labrynth

the music all the way through the film is zoo york, paul oakenfold. it's quality, but i can't find the remix used in the film anywhere

jones
Yep, that's Jennifer Connelly.

Requiem's one of my favourite films.

Does anyone think the the way the drugs are done was copied in 'Spun'?
I mean the dilating pupils, closeups and sound effects.

IndieKid
My parents made me watch this, as they did with American History X and trainspotting. I've got to say i prefer this film to trainspotting, for the reasons my parents made me watch it, cause i believe it sends the right message across. But looking outside the fact I was made to watch it - I really found it to be a moving piece of film.

ragesRemorse
this should be a mandatory movie for highschoolers to watch,and anyone who wants to get a bad trip while dropping acid. eigther or , whateer

BackFire
http://www.collegehumor.com/movies/1667844/ Amazing new Requiem Trailer!

DarkWizard
This movie ****ed me up.

Dr. Strangelove
Originally posted by BackFire

Hahaha!

Just goes to show that the Internet is heaven for people who have waaaaaaaaaaaay too much time on their hands.

DarkWizard
Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove
Hahaha!

Just goes to show that the Internet is heaven for people who have waaaaaaaaaaaay too much time on their hands.

It's true. Just look at KMC.

Impediment
Like many before have said: One of the most depressing films I've ever seen, yet a triumph. I actually bought the Hubert Selby novel shortly after viewing the movie, and it was even more gut wrenching as a read!

Arachnoidfreak

Priceless

Jen-R
This movie... has the BEST SCORE I have ever heard in my LIFE!

I only rented the movie so i could hear the score, without know wtf it was about. I just wanted to hear that damn score. The movie's badass. I had to watch it a couple of times to get really really into it, but it's wonderful.

The one thing that got me sucked into the movie, was how true to life it was. That's one of the main Pluses about Indie movies. They're the movie people can relate the most to.

Revernd Maynard
Originally posted by Jen-R
This movie... has the BEST SCORE I have ever heard in my LIFE!

I only rented the movie so i could hear the score, without know wtf it was about. I just wanted to hear that damn score. The movie's badass. I had to watch it a couple of times to get really really into it, but it's wonderful.

The one thing that got me sucked into the movie, was how true to life it was. That's one of the main Pluses about Indie movies. They're the movie people can relate the most to. You got that right, my friend

exellent music for an even better movie droolio

SnakeEyes
Surprised there isn't already a thread for this movie.

Anyway, I just watched it last night and I liked it quite a bit.

It's pretty depressing, but good.

Thoughts?

Solo
It's good, overrated though.

Burnt Pancakes
The song is great. I use it in my AMV's a lot.

Never seen the movie.

Wolfie
Veeeery good. Gets better everytime you watch it.

BackFire
Outstanding film, brilliant acting across the board.

ragesRemorse
i liked it better before everyone found out about it. Hearing everyones theories of the underlying metaphors dullens the movie for me

Röland
Outstanding film, brilliant acting across the board.

manorastroman
i always wonder why leto didn't just switch veins once he got kinda black and scabby...i prefer pi.

Dusty
Good. But I'll never watch it more than once. Guaranteed.

T.M
Haven't seen it but I have wanted too for ages.

exanda kane
Aronofsky is a legend.

Morning_Glory
I love this movie!

one of the few movies Jared Leto is really good in

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/SleepingSoul/Jared%20Leto/requiem1.jpg

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by Dusty
Good. But I'll never watch it more than once. Guaranteed.

Why is that?

Dusty
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
Why is that?

Why watch it again? It's a one time experience for me.

Solo
I never found it as depressing as most people do. I've seen it three times.

Wolfie
I'd joke around with people saying it has a happy ending. I mean, Jennifer Connelly does get her drugs at the end. stick out tongue

WrathfulDwarf
Overrated all the way.

This film is basically average but no friggin masterpiece or something that should be held with high regard. Quite contrary...it does nothing but try to make us feel bad for the characters that make utterly idiotic choices and ruined their lives. All the characters in this film are either idiots or basically slow minded. Whatever they are I didn't feel any sympathy nor sadness for them.

This film tries too hard for you (i.e. the viewer) to feel sorry for these people. Sorry, the film fails for me. I does nothing but make me reject them. Too add insult to injury the camera man in this film spins and shakes around to catch the emotions and feelings of the characters. But it does waaaay too often that nearly gives the viewer whiplash. Yes, it's clear that it is intenionally done to capture the characters state of mind. As I said, it does way too often that it becomes annoying.

Blah!

BackFire
I think we can all agree, "Ass to ass" has become quite the classic quote.

MildPossession
The musical score is sublime. Excellent film. I've still yet to see the director's cut though, it's waiting on my shelf.

exanda kane
I do prefer The Fountain or Pi to this film; Aronofsky does have quite the library.

bakerboy
The film was great. Great performances by Ellen Burstyn, Jennifer Connelly and Jared Letto, and a so hard and depressing story. And a good score. Great film.

Röland
I just finished watching this and I must say it's a superb film.

Great acting, especially from Ellen Burstyn, I really felt for the characters and their situations. I can see how WD can say they made stupid decisions, but I think they weren't planning on getting into such heavy drug use, that's at least my take on it. srug

Overall an excellent movie IMO, though I'd probably have to wait a while to watch it again.

Reverend Axel
I watch this movie once a month, at least.

Heat_Vision
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u52/Battletard/nuclearreaction3.jpg

HoldenCaulfield
Originally posted by Ax3l
I watch this movie once a month, at least.

Bit weird.

Rogue Jedi
Bit banned.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.