If the ignorenece is bliss why do we seek knowledge?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

lil bitchiness
If ignorenece makes us happier, why do we insist on seeking more knowledge....

ok, so any thoughts... confused

nazgulinthedark
I don't understand

AliasNeo15
well...........it is...........a............movie............and..............a lot of...........movies...........say things...........that arnt...........true. Its like saying if Neo can fly, y cant we?

That's a simple question to answer: Because humans are naturally curious. As are many animals. And the phrase "ignorance is bliss" is a matter of opinion.

lil bitchiness
ok..matter of oppinion....

but not knowing many things would make you happier...like, learning something new, that you cannot necesseraly change, will make you miserable, because you cannot change it, and you know its happening

thats just an example....

p.s. its a well known rethorical question, it doesnt have a simple answer to it....

Ushgarak
I will put it even more simply.

Because humans aren't exclusively concerned with happiness.

lil bitchiness
I am...i want to be happy..blink that would be my goal in life...to be happy....blink

Ushgarak
And that is all you ever do ever? Only ever things for yourself to make you happy? I doubt that.

not true, some people who can't change things in their life don't become misareable...actually many many people are like this. Learning to accept things you can't change is one of the key elements to reaching "optimal wellness."

And i'd feel very sorry for the person who was too ignorant to know things about the world but was perfectly happy.

lil bitchiness
what?! blink

lil bitchiness
no, you cant be really ignorant to the world...not today...unless you live in a cave...

Ignorence is the cause of the all suffering in the world just as much as knowledge is, and we are all ignorent, just on different things...

nazgulinthedark
maybe becausehumans typicaly strive to know everything

lil bitchiness
yeah...maybe...thats it possibly.

ok well if general ignorance is not not knowing things about the world than how do you define it?

and if you're talking about being ignorant on certain things than in some cases not knowing certain aspects of life helps people to be happier, and for other people-well they wanna know everything, and that's what makes them happy.

Ushgarak
I was just pointing out. Not EVERYTHING you do is a selfish attempt to keep yourself happy. That is because, as I said, humans are not exclusively concerned with their own happiness!

Humans value knowing stuff, whether it makes them unhappy or not! You may even think that irrational, but that is how it is!

i agree

cermiestar
I studied Frankenstein by Mary Shelley in english class at school....and this doesn't answer the question but there was this quote from john Keats that went something like "if we constantly search for answers we will never be truly happy"....basically for anyone who doesn't know) the romantics believed in the beauty of nature and basically just being around it and stuff and they believed that trying to understand nature wouldn't make you happy, if you wanted to be happy you should just "revel in it;s presence"

lil bitchiness
WooHoo!! YOu found me out..i studied Frankenstain.....ages ago anyway, and i got back to it few days ago...i loved the book, and yeah, it was from there that we have been asked the question...wow, well spotted, im impressed!! big grinbig grinbig grin It was in fact my teacher who asked that question to us all....it was so interesting!

lil bitchiness
113< I really dont think we understand each other or you are not answering my question...it is a FACT that we are all ignorant on certain things, i was just pointing that out, and if think you are not ignorant on anything, i can promice you that you would be called the most ignorant person in the world! This was beside my point! My 'question' is if ignorenice is bliss why do we seek knowledge...it is true and untrue in many ways, and thats why it is impossible to answer...

I'll give you an example of this...a simple one...

lets say....women in Soudi Arabia! They walk arround with vails over their faces, and are restricted to many stuff women in the west, probably aren't. They DO NOT know any better than that and they are perfectly happy believe it or not! They are ignorant to many things women in the west arent but they are happy!! That was just an example..
People that are living in tribes (and there are still tribes like that, near rainforests as well as Africa) do not know electricity, do not know TV, do not know anything apart from their own tribe and their own rules and they are happy...they know nothing of the corruption of the world...they are primitive and possibly happiest.....

Ush> I wasnt talking about doing everyhting to make myself happy....i wasnt even mentionig making myself happy as an idividual, i just wanted to kow what were your ideas about why do you think peole seek knowledge, when ignorance can make them happy...and i made refrences to that in 113's answer....

Ushgarak
Yes you were

"I am...i want to be happy.. that would be my goal in life...to be happy"

Yes?

I was just pointing out that is NOT a human's only goal. So please read what I said. My answer was that humans value things OTHER than being happy- like knowledge. I answered you.

You are simply assuming that all humans want to do is be happy. If you drop that point of view, you will see that a search for knowledge makes sense.

Now... gimme a hug... (smiles)

Curl_Up&Dye
They say ignorance is bliss, but we can accomplish nothing without knowledge. It's a quote not meant to be taken in a way other than an example of how man became a walking contradiction.

lil bitchiness
*hugs ush* http://www.killermovies.com/forums/images/moresmilies/cry.gif

bigbadbike2
At one point and time, I had a few things that I found that I needed to change. While I was changing ignorance felt like bliss. It was not, however. The main hurtfilled thing I had to change was my insecurity. I didn't have any confidence in myself. I had to read books, talk and council with people( mainly a professional christian councellors), and I had to go into public places and purposely walk up and talk with strangers, which scared me to the point of being nausiated at times. During that growth and maturity period, ignorance would have been easy to choose if I didn't already know the truth: Ignorance is only bliss if you choose not to change, and I believe God instills a dream inside of all of us that drives us to be great. It makes D a bodybuilder, Ush a writer, Me a roadracer and businessman.

Fire
who says ignorance is bliss

sure if we stay ignorant we are happy, but it is hard to stay ignorant all your life

yerssot
er ... fire ... I'm still here wink

Exa
Good question

I do because I am a dataholic
Informations are a drug for me

lil bitchiness
VERY IMPRESSIVE EXA! wink

lil bitchiness
I liked how you approached my question, everyone else, istead of trying to debate it, see both sides, see that it is impossible to answer, all of them did exactly that...try and answer it!
No philosopher could answer this question...its a rethorical one.
Simple approach to question like this is just not good enough...and looking for an easy answer is even worse, especially to the reathorical question. big grin

Fire
there is a very easy answer to this question

namely the human mind will always look for more and more understanding of the world around itself, there for seeking knowledge

(why we want to understand what happens around us, is because we want to know what our purpose is in this world, and to know our purpose we must also gain insight in that world)

about ignorance being bliss

how can anyone really know? since there is noone in this world who is ignorant, and don't say kids are ignorant cause they are not.

lil bitchiness
you've just proven what ive said.....

''namely the human mind will always look for more and more understanding of the world around itself, there for seeking knowledge''

yes, we know that...aware of it..and the question is WHY!! Why is it doing that...you havent answered anything there.....blink

Baylin
I do not seek knowledge, I used to and found the world can be a real bad ol' depressing place to live. I then decided that to be unaware of whats going on around me can be bliss.

I do my thing, in my way, I dont hurt no one unless they hurt me and if that makes me ignorant to be blissfull well i dont care.

Anyone who wants to join me in my 'ignorant' world is more than welcome all knowledge must be left at the door.... blink

Fire
why we want to understand what happens around us, is because we want to know what our purpose is in this world, and to know our purpose we must also gain insight in that world

this is why we seek knowledge

as I already said

Fire
and the answer to this question will be different for almost all of us

BackFire
Well, if you take a look at the world around us, it's pretty obvious happiness isn't a big concern for humanity.

And besides, these days ignorance isn't bliss, for those who are ignorant get mocked and put down by their peers for being so.

Gundark
I personally seek knowledge in order to

1. Educate myself on a variety of topics so I can converse with different people about different subjects.

2. Satisfy my curiosity, despite it having killed certain cats.

3. Generally learn more about the world around me in order to perhaps function more efficiently within it.

4. See just how much information the mushy grey stuff in head will hold.

lil bitchiness
Fire>I can kinda see what you are talking about...well im trying anyway....blink

We have extensive knowledge of stuff as a spicies and we still dont know why we are here...the purpose of our existance...

i made this point before, but it kinda got lost in all the writing...the question doesnt suggest complete stupidity to be happy...

i must admit, i should have warned that only people who have read Frankenstain could really debaite with me since this question derived from that book....

as i was saying...or rather as i said before...
people who live in tribes...they arent aware of many things...you can call them ignorant even...they are fully aware of things you or me are not and never will be, but they know no electricity or TV or politics or anything apart from their own silmpe way of life...and they are happy, and they wouldnt want it any other way....nor would they care if they are being mocked by anyone..as whoever is there to mock them is of no importance and is ignorant himself.......

Gundark
I once heard this saying:

Being ignorant is an excuse. Staying ignorant is not.

What do you make of that ?

lil bitchiness
i think its a very true saying Gun!

Ignorance is the cause of all the world suffering just as much as the knowledge is...big grin

lil bitchiness
Also...ignorance is mother of devotion! Thats true too....big grin

im not defending ignorance...far from it!!! Im just trying to have a debate on a rethorical question, and insted everyone is looking for an answer...blink...but...there isnt one.....blinkblink

i just wanted a debaite....confused

dave123
ignorance is bliss, but by education we can seek BEYOND bliss....

also, it would be all well begin stupid and happy, but we would get wiped out by diseases straight away smile

lil bitchiness
we are being wipped out anyway..sad its a nature's way of saying :''STOP MULTIPLYING DAMN IT, AND USE A DAMN CONDOM''

Fire
the movie frankenstein however did not invent that question, it's a filosophical question, I dunno from which period but .

yerssot
which question FM?

ragesRemorse
ignorance is only bliss to ignorant people. Anyone with a functioning brain seeks knowledge to get closer to acceptance or enlightenment.

tptmanno1
Ignorace is not the lack of knowlage, its the refusal of knowlage, Thus Ignorant people must be happy because of their failure to realize what is really going on, yet this bliss is temporary because one cannot escape reality for all on you life, and being ignorant makes the realization of reality that much more devastating.

But if you seek knowlage, and are open too all surroundings, you become the opposite of ignorace, observant. By being observant you can accept reality and do your part to change it and become blissful from reality instead of the sub-reality that you have created for youself in being ignorant.

Thus Ignorance has nothing to do with knowlage, just how open one is to their surroundings and how much one accepts their obeservations as reality.

Ushgarak
I totally disagree. It is NOT rhetorical- it is based on assumptions I do not share- and easily answerable.

It isn't like 'Where do we come from?' or 'Why are we here?' For me, it is a question based on false premise and hence easily answered.

Sorry, but this does not strike me as a very deep question, and a simple answer very much strikes me as the best one.

(hugs back)

tptmanno1
agreed,
(see above post)

Ushgarak
Thankyou.

If you ask a truly deep and rhetoical quesiton, lil, I will happily debate with complicated answers until the end of time. But this was not such a question. We are giving simple and easy answers because it deserves them.

I mean, if you had simply asked "What do people want?" you would have had what you have wanted. But instead you asked a question based on the premise that all people want to do is be happy. That rather sinks it, I am afraid, because you have not established that premise. You should ask a question without dodgy assumption if you want a deep discussion.

You can TRY and establish the premise- by asking "Is all people want is to be happy?"

But there would be no straight answer to that- you would have another deep discussion...

And you ALSO have to establish that ignorance is bliss! Which is, again, another huge debate in of itself.

As it is, I think you need to check the meaning of 'rhetorical', Lil!

tptmanno1
wouldnt mind some thinking now and then,
been sometime since i did some at school

Ushgarak
Not much thought needed with this... the proof that humans seek more than simple happiness is all around us to anyone with eyes and a brain.

tptmanno1
thats what im sayin,
umm,
u got any nice retorical question for us ush?

Ushgarak
Well, I could stop being mean and ask the questions that Lil WANTS to ask- which is either "Why would a human value something other than happiness?" or "Is the pursuit of knowledge worth the price?" but neither of them are rhetorical either. They are both DEBATABLE, and a debatable question is by definition not rhetorical. A rhetorical quesiton is designed not to have an answer.

First question is better. Second is too easily answered by the benefits of modern civilisation; I think Shelley was a bit off the mark there.

tptmanno1
ok i like the first one,
ill go with the matrix explanation, Humans disbelieve happieness, think its false.
we humans don't know what we want, we are told to want happyness even though it is something that we could never achieve.

Ushgarak
My first thing to do would be to massively complicate the issue...

...and ask someone to define 'happiness'. Is it what makes us feel good, or acheiving what we value? We often feel UNHAPPY doing something we value, but don't we only do things we value because they make us happy?

That one will bake your noodle...

tptmanno1
well, happiness can be a relization of a job well done, or possibly doing something we enjoy, many different thing cause ud happyness, but if you mean true happyness, ,that could mean, balancing thigs you enjoy with other things, that may be why ritcher people are notorious for not being happy, they do too much stuff they enjoy and it is not coupled with work or unenjoyable things.
happyness is relative

lil bitchiness
urhg...cant read all that.... ive just seen MAtrix Revolutions and ...http://www.killermovies.com/forums/images/moresmilies/cry.gif ........http://www.killermovies.com/forums/images/moresmilies/crybaby.gif

Im trying to be ok......now.....

But when i get my assigment mad done, i'll ask some questions about your posts people....

Ush? How can you think that 'Why are we here?' is easely answerd....
what about questions like 'What is the world made of?'

Fire
he never said why are we here is easely answered

Storm
If happiness comes from achieving one's proper values then this can only be done by acting in accordance with reality, which requires knowledge about reality. Evading the truth will only make it harder to achieve values and be happy.

Ushgarak
Indeed, I never said that, Lil.

Storm, those are objective values. Most people's values are subjective and that argument makes no sense to them.

lil bitchiness
What about 'whats the world made of?' ush...ok, you say my question is stupid and irrational and simple (it wasnt mine in the first place, but ok, we'll count it as mine) and you wanna debate on a question that isnt so till the end of time, so...

lets try thins

Ush, Whats the world made of?

Fire
I'm stillt rying to figure out what you mean by that question, so can anyone try to explain it
cause the way I read that question it's like whats the world made up of, but I don't think that was lil means

lil bitchiness
erm...thats another question i read, and i found fascenating(sp)

It was just a question,

Whats the world made from? cos its not made of anything material, really...so what is it made of big grinbig grin

Do you get what i mean blink

Ushgarak
Lil, I didn't say it was stupid and irrational, either! I hate to sound nasty, but please don't put words in my mouth, sweetie!

Anyway. Ok. Before we answer that, define 'world'. Because a scientific answer can be given but I doubt that is what you are after.

BackFire
You sound like Clinton stick out tongue

Ushgarak
I did not flirt wth that poster...

Fire
that's what I ment, the scientific answer

lil bitchiness
BackFire: You sound like Clinton
Ush: I did not flirt wth that poster...

LMFAO!!!! laughing

Yeah...thats just it Ush...definition of world..i dont know it...same as i cant define normal..well i can really, in sociological terms it is a set of every day routines and rules that are accepted by one society...thats still not the deffinition, but...you know...
SAme with GOd..i cant define what god is....

i guess when we can define all these stuff we can try and answer what they are...

Did you know that one scientist went insane as he was trying to explain WHY 1+1=2...we all know that it does, but why does it....shifty
what does everyone think....why does 1+1=2?!?!

debbiejo
You always hear "Ignorance is Bliss". Would it be better for your life to read and inquire about things that could effect you. Like politics to get informed, what's really in your food, chemicals you are exposed to that your unware of, religion, so you know if your in the right belief, etc...
But in doing so you now need to do something about it or make changes because you found out some truth.

Or is it better to live your life not questioning anything, not worrying, just living your life and having fun. Not worrying if youre prepared, or could make a healthier choice to lesson the chance of getting cancer, not having to explain why you do what you do..

Is ignorance really bliss?

For me..I have to many questions and have to know. I think ignorance is a false bliss.

What do ya think?

Reborn Again
Why do we seek our knowledge instead of remaining infantial? Because we are curious by nature and we want to know the meaning of our universe, despite never actually getting resolution.

ragesRemorse
I think ignorance is only bliss to the person observing the idea of ignorance. Knowledge is the only path to bliss. Now is ignorant not knowing, or knowing that you dont know? I believe they are both. There is nothing more unsettling than knowing that you dont know, and have exhausted all other means to learn.

SaTsuJiN
"Where ignorance is bliss, it is a folly to be wise.."

Ignorance is only bliss in a few select points in our lives.. things that were 'better left unsaid' .. things that would hurt our feelings, or stuff we might learn about a lover or relative that we find insulting..a company secret that could get you in trouble... maybe governmental stuff (if you're that high up in the career chain)

I dont believe it refers to humanity in general, and their path to become all-knowing

basically you dont know ignorance is bliss until you realise the information is harmful in some way, and then you wish you didnt know

Bardock42
Cause Hapiness is not our goal anymore? confused

Wel not alll of ours.

I don't see ignorance as being so good though I think it doesn't make happier just well stupid, which would make me sad, but since I wouldn'tr know well maybe.

debbiejo
Once you've found out a truth about something, you're no longer ignorant, but if you don't act on that truth, then your ignorant in another way. Or you may try deluding yourself. Not acting on a truth is lying to yourself and becoming self-deceived.

My Reality Check Bounced!!!

Misty Girl
Ignorance is for the faint hearted. Knowledge however does not lead to intelligence or wisdom necessarily. Ignorance might not always be bliss - some things we don't know, can kill or harm us - that would surely not be bliss.

Jackie Malfoy
Originally posted by lil bitchiness

ok, so any thoughts... confused

I really have no idea.If people are very igorencent then I have no idea why they will be seeking anything else.It remains me of that line from the book "1984" Ignorence is strengh"JM wink

Clovie

ok, so any thoughts... confused coz ppl don't aprecatte what they have untill they lost it
and same goes to the ignorance.

peterKSL
Originally posted by Clovie
coz ppl don't aprecatte what they have untill they lost it
and same goes to the ignorance.

Erm.. so you were saying that ppl don't understand it until they experience it? eek! wink

Cipher
Ignorance isn't really bliss, apparently.

debbiejo
I find it interesting that people would rather stay ignorant.

ignorant and superstitious.

ms_erupt

Good question. I mean, why seek out knowledge when being ignorant (albeit naive) seems to serve some people so well. But, as I think you stated yourself it is a rhetorical question and I won't even pretend that I know the answer.

usagi_yojimbo
...the happier you become.

Is this a true statement? I believe it can be true, when one considers the circumstances involving acquiring the knowledge. I guess it all depends on the nature of the individual, as well as the circumstance they are going through. Still - I believe that at some point - the more knowledge and/or wisdom one acquires, the less happy and more frightened they can become - at least from the human perspective. I think possessing too much knowledge within this limited human form - can make one finally begin to realize, how little control they truly have over their life, and over the universe itself. One also becomes extremely sensitive to the needs and awarenesses of others - be they good or bad, which I believe can be extremely debilitating at times.

Funnily enough, while all of this is happening - I still think one can become very enamored by the wisdom and/or knowledge they are presented with - as well as with the presenter - while at the same time being frightened by both.

So in summary:

Does possessing wisdom and knowledge bring more happiness --
or does being ignorant make one truly blissful?

I'd be interested in knowing your thoughts.

debbiejo
Only if you are secure with yourself because the more you know, the more opposition you may get, and if you are the type to let others judgments of you bother you, then you will not be very happy at all.....

usagi_yojimbo
Originally posted by debbiejo
Only if you are secure with yourself because the more you know, the more opposition you may get, and if you are the type to let others judgments of you bother you, then you will not be very happy at all.....

Extremely well thought out response - well done, I commend you. I do believe that one has to still keep an open mind(regarding the judgements of others)particularly being a flawed human being, and if they want to be successful in applying said knowledge in assisting others.

Regret
Originally posted by usagi_yojimbo
Does possessing wisdom and knowledge bring more happiness --
or does being ignorant make one truly blissful? I feel that gaining wisdom and knowledge gives one perspective on life. The more you understand, the more correct your perspective, at least so far as your minor position in the grand scheme of things. Proper perspective allows one to understand that the problems one has are not as great as they seemed from the more narrow perspective of ignorance. It allows you to understand the value of humility and the pointless nature of pride.

It can be frightening learning that you have less control than you previously believed, but wisdom and knowledge give you the tools that allow you to maximize your control and impact in the limited sphere you occupy.

Imo, the only drawback of wisdom and knowledge is if the lessons I briefly stated are not learned. When such lessons are not learned one tends to visions of grandeur, and I believe that if such occurs ignorance may be a much preferred state.

Mindship
"Ignorance is bliss" is sarcasm, probably first said by someone who wasn't careful what he/she wished for, then figuring ostriches have the right idea and went to find a hole.

Ignorance is dangerous. Love is bliss.

usagi_yojimbo
Originally posted by Regret
Imo, the only drawback of wisdom and knowledge is if the lessons I briefly stated are not learned. When such lessons are not learned one tends to visions of grandeur, and I believe that if such occurs ignorance may be a much preferred state.

Excellent points. I guess one has to come to the realization though, that wisdom, knowledge, grandeur, ignorance - all of it is just meaningless anyway. The only thing I believe that gives any of it meaning, is *Love*..

I mean - what's the point of being wise, if there is no *Love* within the wisdom being presented. Even the "loving" ignoramus - has much more value to his words - than the arrogant-unloving wise(knowledgeable) man.

But I guess that last statement really begs the answer to the question - which one is really the wise man..and which one is really the ignoramus? wink

usagi_yojimbo
Originally posted by Mindship
"Ignorance is bliss" is sarcasm, probably first said by someone who wasn't careful what he/she wished for, then figuring ostriches have the right idea and went to find a hole.

But that hole is ohh so comfortable..at least until the ostriche finds out that there's actually a snake inside of it..wink

Originally posted by Mindship
Ignorance is dangerous. Love is bliss.

Simple and to the point - I knew there was a reason as to why I liked you..wink

debbiejo
Well he is likable......... big grin

And to add, the love being bliss part, That is the part about being secure with ones self too. If you are, then you can not let what others judge you about, but just love them where they are now and not where you'd like them to be. (do you understand what I mean?) Acceptance of them and still being true to yourself and how you've evolved in YOUR thinking and outlook.

But many people are oh so afraid to seek out knowledge, and if you try to show them something on a particular subject of importance then they NOW KNOW that something has to give/change, and this is a very very uncomfortable place to be for many people. They would rather not be uncomfortable. But what they don't realize that this uncomfortableness is only temporary. It is said that "Humans are creatures of habit", which I believe includes going through the same thoughts and ways......

Mindship
"Simple and to the point - I knew there was a reason as to why I liked you.."
Just doing my job, making the streets safe for democracy. smokin'

"Well he is likable......... "
At this rate, I won't be able to fit my swelled head through any of my shirts.

"And to add, the love being bliss part, That is the part about being secure with ones self too. If you are, then you can not let what others judge you about, but just love them where they are now and not where you'd like them to be. (do you understand what I mean?)"
Yes. Yes, I do.

Green Arrow
Because that line is a load of bullcrap. Ignorance leads to fear, and no-one is blissful when they're living in fear. Ignorance leads to anger, because we're angery we're in the dark. Have you ever fealt at peace while pissed off?

And ultimately ignorance leads to self-loathing. When we don't know who to hate, we hate ourselves.

So no, in no way does ignorance lead to bliss. The reason children are more happy then adults is not because they're ignorant, but because

a) They have adults to work for them. They don't have responsibility or preassures asscosiated with the adult.

b) They're young and full of energy.

c) They take things for face value. Because they havn't been brainwashed into thinking like the average adult. So a candycane is not "a sugar stick that'll raise my blood glucose levels" but "a sweet treat that can keep me busy for about fifteen to twenty minutes". Children get unhappy, that's why they seek toys, candy, and attention. As human beings, hell, as living beings we naturaly seek to distant ourselves from pain. Ignorance only perpetuates pain.

Darth Zedster
We seek knowledge to explain what we do not yet know, ignorance is bliss means that what we may learn out of curiosity may upset us, make us less happy eg the fact that in 50yrs the Earths lungs , the rain forest will be GONE!

usagi_yojimbo
Originally posted by Green Arrow
Because that line is a load of bullcrap. Ignorance leads to fear, and no-one is blissful when they're living in fear. Ignorance leads to anger, because we're angery we're in the dark. Have you ever fealt at peace while pissed off?

And ultimately ignorance leads to self-loathing. When we don't know who to hate, we hate ourselves.

So no, in no way does ignorance lead to bliss. The reason children are more happy then adults is not because they're ignorant, but because

a) They have adults to work for them. They don't have responsibility or preassures asscosiated with the adult.

b) They're young and full of energy.

c) They take things for face value. Because they havn't been brainwashed into thinking like the average adult. So a candycane is not "a sugar stick that'll raise my blood glucose levels" but "a sweet treat that can keep me busy for about fifteen to twenty minutes". Children get unhappy, that's why they seek toys, candy, and attention. As human beings, hell, as living beings we naturaly seek to distant ourselves from pain. Ignorance only perpetuates pain.

Ahh - I can sense a tone of anger and loathing in your post.

This being such - I think we're referring to two different types of ignorance(s). *Willfull* ignorance seems to be what you're referring to, and it is much - much(much) more dangerous, than the *innocent* ignorance portrayed by one with a childlike heart and mind.

Usually this type of ignorance is demonstrated, when one refuses to seek *truth*, despite knowing of its existence. The individual will then end up making up their own rendition of *truth*, in order to compensate for the lack(or absence) of truth within them. The end result of this, is an angry - bitter - delusional individual, never satisfied with any loving knowledge they've received(or anything they've received for that matter), and who lives in a world - where *truth* is only determined by the fulfillment of their own selfish(and whimsical) desires.

Atlantis001

m. sade
I generally spend more time contemplating the so-called *innocent* ignorance. Ignorance is a fact you're going to have to live with, and any other assumption would be living in denial. But how can you change something often percieved as an inherent weakness into a source of strength? At least in Buddhism, the spiritual journey often begins with acknowledging and accepting that ignorance, i.e. "don't know" mind.

Otherwise, I'm generally pessimistic about like and wonder when that *willful* ignorance will set in, if it hasn't already, and I'll be hopelessly entrenched in a given viewpoint for no other reason than the false sense of security it affords me.

Deano
ignorance is bliss, but only for so long

Pandemoniac
You only fear that which you know that exists, the less you know the less there is to fear. Sure, these things might get to you anyhow, knowing about them or not.
There is bliss in ignorance. Shit happens anyhow, you can be spending thoughts and time anticipating it and getting all wind up, or ignoring the possibility and being free of worries for as long as it lasts.
This world just makes the latter fairly impossible, besides that the quote is true.

lil bitchiness
Half of world's misery comes from ignorance, the other half from knowledge.

Storm
Ignorance of all things is an evil neither terrible nor excessive, nor yet the greatest of all; but great cleverness and much learning, if they be accompanied by a bad training, are a much greater misfortune.

- Plato -

Bardock42
Half of world's misery comes from ignorance, the other half from knowledge.

Nah...I would more say it's 51 - 49

Lord Urizen
WTF ?

Ignorance isn't Bliss !!!!!

ORGASM IS BLISS drooliodrooliodroolio

Symmetric Chaos
Ignorance is the inherent source of fear not bliss.

Many fear the darkness because hides the world from our sight.
Ancient cartographers filled the seas with monsters becuase they did not know what might exists beyond the bounds of knowledge.

People seek knowledge because with it comes freedom from irrational fear.

However, within the condition that ignorance is in fact bliss no rational answer exists.

Spearhead
Well said.

People who claim ignorance is bliss are doing so from a short-term perspective. As one's doubt in something grows they will often create their own shadows that would plague them if they ventured into the unknown. This, of course, depends on the circumstances, and seen as how there are endless possibilities, I won't go into them. This time period between bliss and fear could be days...it could be generations. Fabricated fears hinder people from looking forward, and I suppose in that sense, ignorance could be bliss--it's better to not know something than to awaken the unknown that could come from it.

Ignorance gives a sense of bliss, but it's false. Only by knowing are you able to truly fear something for what it is...or to enjoy something for the same reason.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.