Why do we like Star Wars?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Revan
For the sake of simplicity, this is JUST THE MOVIES. Comic books, books, games, and other forms of Star Wars entertainment DO NOT APPLY.

yerssot
because David, the leprachon on my shoulder said I have to

Darth Revan
lol

Dirty Vader
Fate has decided it.

Lyn
Well Darth Revan...I have many reasons....

((1)) The story to SW although from basic origin ((good vs. evil)) still has so many other parts to it, enough to keep us interested. It follows two generations in an incredible family, and how their lives have such an impact on others.

((2)) The worlds, the ships, the aliens, the lingo...everything is unique and interesting.

((3)) Lightsabers!! Jedi!! 'Nuff said!!

((4)) The biggest, baddest, well...baddie of ALL time--Darth Vader.

((5)) The music is BRILLIANT!! I can't express how much I like SW music!! John Williams is an ABSOLUTE GENIUS!!

((6)) Natalie Portman is in it as Padme, Carrie Fisher as Leia--two chicks kicking ass in a galaxy dominated and destroyed by men!!

((7)) Hayden Christensen is SOOO very very yummie!!

((8)) All the actors make/made it GREAT!!

I can't fit anymore, I don't think..but...ahhh...I think you get the picture...

Darth Revan
Yeah, those are actually the same reasons I like SW. It's just simpler to put that you liked the storyline.

Dirty Vader
yup, yup.

Baylin
Because like Luke *James Earl Jones voice* it is my destiny....

Basically Lyn said it all!

Lyn
laughing I guess I got a little carried away... :P wink

finti
I saw Star Wars when it premiered here in Norway in 1977, it just blew me away and me and my friend went back and saw it everyday for two weeks. And I have loved it evre since

Darth Revan
D'oh! I forgot one! I love James Earl Jones voice! Its so deep and, well... deep!

Tex
I grew up on SW as a little kid! The OT will always have a special place in my heart!

The new trilogy is pure ass crap! sick

Gundark
What finti said.

I saw it in the theatre 42 times that summer.

And I'm serious. They showed the film for 6 months.

Darth Revan
rolling on floor laughing cool

Darth Jello
the music and ambiance

yerssot
according to my media-teacher last year, they showed it for more then a year here messed

Darth Revan
Where is here?

justinday15
because natalie is hott and the storyline

yerssot
*points to ground*
here

Bespin Bart
Yeah, that falls into my category too. And Dooku added to that, since Christopher Lee is a great actor. And action.

Darth Revan
Thanks Yerss. That really clears things up.

yerssot
*best ob1 voice*
that's ... why I'm here

Dirty Vader
STAR WARS RULES!!! rock rock rock rock rock
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!! Happy Dance

Vader
Because deep down we know some day we are going have to go out there and kick butt in other galaxies, this films awake our explorer spirit. ....and I look good in this movie.

Peloquin
hehehe I have to agree with one of Lyn's points ..."Lightsabers!! Jedi!! 'Nuff said!!"

BTW you rock Lyn smile like your style.

Lyn
Thanks. happy Happy Dance

*Looks at Location, You're from Aus too!! WOOHOO!!*

Peloquin
Yep just hangin here till I see the Wiz. I'm betting that dude's got a lightsaber stashed in his bag of tricks for me.

Lyn
laughing thumb up Happy Dance happy

Packetrat
If you know who Joseph Campbell is and the reasons why he and George Lucas were close, then you know why anyone likes these movies. They tell an intriguing and identifiable story that we each can relate to in one way or another. The original movies were greats because they introduced special effects and science fiction in a revolutionary way and on a never before done medium, the big screen. They involved everything we have come to idealize in any story, including romance, adventure, the success of good over evil, comedy - especially comedy about hardships - and so much more. More than anything else, Star Wars gives people young and old something to fulfill their inner questions about the personal quest.

Lyn
I'm not sure who Joseph Campbell is, sorry but I really like what you said. It summed it up really, really well. thumb up happy

Packetrat
Thank you. The description comes from an understanding of Campbell's work.

Joseph Campbell was an influential figure in George Lucas' life and work. The two were close friends until Campbell's death in 1987. I believe George Lucas still sits on the foundation started by Campbell.

Campbell's work was the study of world mythology, from religions to fairy tales and on to the stories found in primitive culture. Throughout his studies, Campbell found many, many threads of commonality between these religious stories and myths and wrote about them in his many books. He used references from then modern Psychology to show that the common threads were a part of mankind's psyche and were cultural perceptions of each of our inner spiritual guide to enlightenment, or what he referred to as transcendence.

Campbell's most famous work was his first solo work on mythology, "The Hero of a Thousand Faces." Other popular works include the written series, "The Masks of God," and the lengthy interview script, "The Power of Myth."

§pearhead
we like sw cuz we're nerds stick out tongue

Lyn
Sounds like an incredible man. So, do you think he influenced George?? Say, helping him develop the Jedi etc.??

Lyn
True...stick out tongue wink

Packetrat
That is exactly what I'm saying. Perhaps not in the sense of explicitly suggesting Lucas create a philosophical order called the Jedi, or that there should be anything specific in the Star Wars universe, but that Campbell's work is the key to understanding how to tell great stories. Read, or even listen to or watch, The Power of Myth; it is a synopsis of his theory and study.

§pearhead
thats not what i voted for embarrasment the story line is why we like it thumb up

amity75
I like star wars coz it reminds me of my childhood. It was dominated by star wars. Very happy times indeed.

Lyn
I know. I was just joshing... wink stick out tongue

LanceWindu
None of the above.

I like Star Wars because of the magic.

§pearhead
meh...i know.

Lyn
Same; Star Wars is the best form of escapism. So very, very magical.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.