History of the Sith

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

darth fester
i found this on the force.net which i found quite interesting
i always wondered why there was only 2 sith at once

The book also gives a history of the Siths. And that the Siths wiped each other out and only one survived - Darth Bane. He developed the idea of only two Siths at a time to prevent internal problems. Lucas has said: "One of the themes throughout the films is that the Sith Lords, when they started out thousands of years ago, embraced the Dark Side. They were greedy and self-centered and they all wanted to take over, so they killed each other. Eventually there was only one left, and that one took on an apprentice. And for thousands of years, the master would teach the apprentice, the master would die, the apprentice would then teach another apprentice, become the master, and so on. But there could never be more than two of them, because if there were, they woud try to get rid of the leader, which is exactly what Vader was trying to do, and that's exactly what the Emperor was trying to do. The Emperor was trying to get rid of Vader, and Vader was trying to get rid of the Emperor. And that is the antithesis of a symbiotic relationship, in which, if you do that, you become cancer, and you eventually kill the host, and everything dies." So does this mean there CAN be more Sith than two? Cool.

yerssot
I knew this alreadt, but to your question, it's the same with the eu: there weren't any Jedis left or Sith but in a lot of books there are Jedis.
I don't think there will be more than 2 Sith
"Always 2 there are, a master and an apprentice."
And you saw what happend in ROTJ so...

Ratcat
Yes, this has been out there fore a while now.

The same info in on the Episode-I Insides Guide.

Ushgarak
It;s another one of those generally accepted fan things. GL tends to leave things vague- hence he just gives the concept of the Sith being reduced to two and staying like that.

Others, in the EU, develop those vague points into stories like Darth Bane.

Jameous Woodshire
Yep, then came Xar-Kun.

ANd if you remember, VAder wanted Luke and the Emperor wanted Luke, but neither wanted the other to still be around. Thus there would still be only two.

So far Yoda is correct.

yerssot
And I think that will stay like that.
There was also a Sith-master with a Q in it and also 3 words

Ushgarak
Actually, I don;t think that counts any more by the time of the OT< where this is no more reason for the Sith to stay low.

The conversation between Vader and the Emperor in ESB clearly shows that a third was at least a possibility, even if both were secretly planning to dump the other.

yerssot
Well, wouldn't it be great when Yoda is mistaken about there being 2 Siths?

King Jedi
No.

yerssot
Tell me more please

King Jedi
If in AOTC and EP3 there were more Sith then Anakin wouldn't be so important to Palpatine.

Dim
At least in Ep2..

Jameous Woodshire
well....

Vader to Luke: Join me and we can defeat the emperor and rule the galaxy together as father and son.

or something close to that.

Vader "If he could be turned..."
Palpy" He would be a powerful ally"

But then Palpy turns on Vader

Palpy to Luke: Good, your hate has made you powerful... Now take your fathers place at my side.

Thus Still only two. never 3.
That's just the way I see it.

finti
Just the way I see it JW.

yerssot
I meant that even Yoda can make mistakes, and this would be a big one

King Jedi
Well it's never going to happen so you can forget about it.

I think in ESB the Emperor and Vader just wanted Luke on their side. Maybe not as a Sith, just a Dark Jedi. He knew all about the rebels so he would have been a great ally.

But in ROTJ I think it changed and Vader and the Emperor were trying to get rid of each other.

Ushgarak
That's not an unreasonable interpretation, KJ.

However, JW and Finti, you have to accept that the possibility of there being three of them (whether two Sith and an ally or three Sith), otherwise neither of them would have suggested it to each other.

As I already said, whetehr they later planned to betray each other or not (and they both did, of course) is irrelevant; the ESB conversation makes it clear that THE POSSIBILITY EXISTED.

yerssot
What is the difference between a Dark Jedi and a Sith?

Ushgarak
Ths always causes a bit of confusion.

Obviously no definitve definition (no pun intended) has ever been made; however, it's not too hard to come up woith the difference.

The SIth is an organisation, the aims and goals of which still have not been defined.

A Dark Jedi is simply and Jedi who has fallen to the Dark Side; this does not make you automatically a Sith.

Hence, all Sith are Dark Jedi, but not all Dark Jedi are Sith.

yerssot
Maybe Ki-Adi-Mundi was correct: the Sith are extinct for over a millenia; but the Dark Jedi not

jedi212guy
I believe that someone could embrace the dark side but not become a Sith. There had to be others out there in the galaxy who were force-sensitive and used it for evil.

Jameous Woodshire
I'm saying they make it look like there could be three, but the passage to become a sith apprentice is to kill the one of the two sith.

That's the way it supposably was. One would get old, and the apprentice would find him an apprentice, they would kill the former master, then there new apprentice would start training under the former apprentice who is now the master.

There may be a small time where that might overlap, but not significant enough to matter.

I do have a theory about Palpy's master, but I'm certain I'm wrong. But I sure wouldn't be surprised to see it. (you can probably figure it out, but I'm not going to tell it) stick out tongue

And as for the Sith being extinct, I'd say they were hidden. Vader's title is Dark lord of the Sith. Always has been, always will be wink

yerssot
And never did they think about being killed would be a problem?

Jameous Woodshire
Well, each master would think he was going to be the best , the greatest, and what happened to my master wont happen to me because I'm better, or smarter than he.

It's like if I went out with someone that was married to another and I broke them up. I might not think the same would happen to me and marry her. Then later when she started stepping out on me, I might not see that untill it's too late, and that the fact is it has happened too manty times before.

Ego is playing a big part of both senerios.

yerssot
I don't like that! Even the master knows that a bad guy is still bad, so I don't like this

Jameous Woodshire
Well if you had the power of the emperor wouldnt you think that no-one could take you down?

Like I said the emperor is very cocky. Enough that he cant see that Vader could slip out of his control. The line "take your place at your faters side" shows that. He dosent even think Vader is a threat to him and he will live forever.

Basic evil guy's over-cockyness. simple.

yerssot
Got it

Ratcat
To Jameous you must listen. big grin

yerssot
Can someone check who the guy with the Q in it is named?
My computer has a problem with the CD-Romdrive and it will be fixed on Tuesday, otherwhise I would already checked it on the BTM-cd

Ushgarak
Umm... I think I'll need a little more info than that, yerssot. Where is this character from?

yerssot
More info? that's just the problem Ush.

I know he is on the BTM-cd, his name is with a Q and it is part of a 3-part name, like QGJ.
If you have BTM look at the table with the times (10 000 bf ANH orso)

Ushgarak
Oh... I'm no EU expert, isn;t it something like Ulic Qel-Droma or something? I'll look it up later.

yerssot
http://www.contrabandent.com/pez1/cwm/cwm/eek2.gif
Yeah that is him!!! You know everything!!
What do you know about him??

Ushgarak
Well, he was some hard Jedi from the old days in the EU. Like I say, I'm no expert.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.