Sorcerer's Stone - OFFICIAL Thread

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Phoenix
Discussion, philosophy, chat, all about the first Harry potter book!

StrgzrCndyPixie
i liked this book when it first came out but now i dont no i think its kind of boring. i dont know if thats because i have read it like thousands of times but its definatley not my favourite

frootlooplucy
wow, i leave for a few days and the forums overrun with official threads :P
i still like philosophers stone... not as much as the more recent ones, but i think thats just because theyre still new and exciting.

Phoenix
I don't like it as much as I used to... whyen I first got it, I read it constantly for about a month, everytime i finished it, I just turned back to the beginning and started again!

StrgzrCndyPixie
me 2

CaptainInsano2
7/10 average

LindsIsTightK
Ok can someone please tell me why you are calling it the Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone? Over here we all call it the Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

Do they do things different in the states then in the rest of the world?

airangel429
YEAH IN America I guess the name was changed.....it was a huge conflict on here a few weeks back.........

AS FOR THE BOOK...........i didn't like it as much as i liked the other ones...BUT IT WAS STILL GREAT! The movie made me mad b/c they left out the part of Ginny running behind the train!

weegie
at the begining it sounded a lot like roald dahl (soz cant spell it proper) but as i read more and read the other books they became different, it sounded babyish at first, but thats my opinion. im reading it for the 3rd time and iv seen the movie loads and loads of times (like 50) theyre are lots of differences between book/movie though, i would have liked to see mr dursley at work and id av liked to see the dursleys & harry in the hotel aswell! o well.

DracotheDragon
Edited by PHOE - JK called it Philosopher's, so don't yell that it is Sorceror's in future please, and don't be rude while your yelling.

hellyah
NO!!! It's PHILOSOPHER'S STONE! For your FYI, J.K Rowling was very upset when the Americans changed the book to SORCEROR'S STONE! She is also upset that they changed Mrs. Weasly to MOM.....she is not a MOM....she is a MUM! And thirdly..... the "jumpers," aren't "jumpers", the are pinned skirts....DUHHH!!!!! mad GET IT RIGHT! Or at least read J.K. Rowling Biography!

Phoenix
I'm really not sure why they changed it. Perhaps because the Philosopher's Stone is an English Legend?

dori_fish
Well I heard that the Americans changed it because the people who read it couldent understand some of our terms, so they changed it so it was easyer for them to comprehened the books smart

hellyah
w/e

hellyah
harrys hot

hellyah
so is draco

hellyah
they are hot allround

dori_fish
You have sumhin rong with u

dori_fish
What the f**k? wtf: What the f**k? wtf: What the f**k? wtf:

LindsIsTightK
I don't think Philosopher's sounds right. It just doesn't have that magical ring to it that Harry Potter is suppossed to have.

That's just my opinion though.............

dori_fish
w/e Happy Dance

Phoenix
Again, it's an English legend.

There is ancient legends about Alchemist's who managed to create the Philosopher's Stone, a Stone that cou8ld turn any metal into gold. I'm suprised it didn't travel to America - after all, these legends span back hundreds of years, long before the american colonosts left England

LindsIsTightK
It's very likely that the legends have reached here they just haven't been spread around as much. I'm sure there are quite a few people out there who have heard of them, I just haven't met them.

Linkalicious
That English alchemist goes by the name of Nicholas Flammel and yes they do say that in the book. But i know this because i have done a report on Flammel and the Philosopher's stone. Phoenix the information you have given is correct according to what little physical evidence is available. Myth has it that he did use the Philosopher's stone to live for an extremely long time before he decided to stop using it because of the death of his wife who had also been using it but died of an accident. (of course this is according to legend/myth)

dori_fish
Thats interesting

Luna150
sorcerous stone does't sound right. Makes it sound like a little cartoon or something. mabey americans wouldn't understand but niether would alot of other countries around the world. I dont think the name should have been changed for the americans. They should get on a computer and find out what the philosipers stone is.

leah11
philosopher's stone is by no means my favourite hp book but it does have some cool quotes made by dumbledore in it. it isn't as complex or interesting as books 5, 4 and 3 but JK had 2 start somewhere.

Phoenix
bumping

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.