Hollywood needs some new ideas

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

pablo007
So to me a remake of John Carpenter's 1980 flick, The Fog, which starred Jamie Lee Curtis and her mother Janet Leigh would be worthy of making. So when the news was announced that Carpenter might be revisiting the story, I was actually excited! Read on for the scooparooni...

Moviehole writes, "I've had a couple of reliable scoopers tell me that John Carpenter is toying with the idea of remaking The Fog, his 1980 movie about a ship full of dead crewmen on the revenge tear. The remake would again centre on the town of Antonio Bay, which is preparing for its centenary celebrations. 100 years before, the Elizabeth Dane ship, lost in a substantial bank of fog, crashed on the rocks at Spivey Point, misdirected by a campfire intended to ground the vessel, now there?s evidence that the livid dead crew aboard are on their way back with retribution scrawled on their to-do lists.

No Word on whether original star Jamie Lee Curtis would be involved. It's one of a few projects on the table over at Camp Carpenter."

UPDATE:

Just a reminder that Creature Corner broke the Fog remake scoop last summer of 2002 (http://www.creature-corner.com/news2/aug30thefog.php3), and since then not much more is going on with it. They've done a number of updates on the project and what essentially is happening is this: Debra and John wanted to do an updated remake/sequel, they shopped their idea to various production companies, but no one is biting at the idea.

HockeyFace
Ok so what are your original ideas?

pablo007
I'm not telling you

HockeyFace
You don't have any do you?

ragesRemorse
there are plenty of original idea's out there. Unfortunatley only typical,trendy idea's are ever embraced. Hollywood is scared to take risks. They dont want to lose there grasp around america's neck,

h0ck3yh0rr0r
now a days no one likes movies with logic. all they need to watch is pure gore. i actually enjoy logic instead of gore. but sometimes gore is necessary. smile

HockeyFace
Gore + Logic = Great Movie!

h0ck3yh0rr0r
exactly.

BackFire
Hollywood is definately in need of new ideas, however, that is easier said then done since almost everything has been done by now.

h0ck3yh0rr0r
i actually disagree with u bf sad for the first time! lol
i think their are great ideas out their but no one has every thought of those great ideas smile

SaTsuJiN
there are a great many ideas to be had. I dont think hollywood has any imagination left in them at all. Maybe they'll start releasing ameteur videos (sundance film festival kindof stuff). Not to mention there are only a handful of good directors left these days. wish there were more superbly talented up-and-coming directors. Its a grim but not so grim situation

HockeyFace
Here this is a new idea... make a horror film with a beast that becomes stornger when he merges sould with his victims! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!

BackFire
The fact that no one is having them should prove to you that they are harder and harder to come up with (creative ideas). That shouldn't suggest that they AREN'T there at all, there are definately new ideas to be had always, but they are becoming more and more difficult to come by.

remo williams
Surely not ALL of the good ideas have been used---there would be far more classics than we currently have.

Lord Soth
There are always new ideas out there, and Hollywood does use them, but then they become cliche, just like everything else (The Matrix is a perfect example)

h0ck3yh0rr0r
OMG MATRIX!!!! its the bible idiots. Just read the bible instead. if u dont know what im talking about pm me and ill tell u.

BackFire
Matrix sucks, it's a combination of 1984, terminator, romeo and juliet and the bible. The only unique thing it did was that bullet time, which the series is now relying on to keep the action sequences fresh.

Matrix was not unique people, just steals ideas from the bible

h0ck3yh0rr0r
thank you bf! finally someone understands.

HockeyFace
That for some odd reason was funny as hell! MWAHAHAHAHA!

h0ck3yh0rr0r
? stupidity is easily recognized.

Lord Soth
Well, I was not aware......Haven't seen any of those movies. But the first one was definitely something.

Actually, the idea of the 'dream world' and the 'real world,' and all that stuff that the title of the movie derives from is fairly innovative

Lord Soth
Unless I'm wrong, in which case, go easy on me when you bash the previous post, I'm high on caffiene and not thinking straight

BackFire
It also has a bit of 'alice in wonderland' type stuff.

PsychoClown
Actually, the inspiration for the Matrix was an episode of a British TV series called Dr. Who. The episode title is "The Deadly Assassin" Check it out. It mentions The Matrix by name in addition to many other similarities including the Key Master.

I think the Biblical themes came later.

h0ck3yh0rr0r
in the Matrix Neo is represented as the "savior" and in the bible Jesus is known as the savior. very similiar thats not the only similarity there are many other similarities

BackFire
Matrix basically took a bunch of ideas from other movies and stories, and combined them.

ragesRemorse
matrix diddnt steal anything from anything. It was inspired by japanese comics. The relations the movie has to the Bible is simply to incoorperate style. NOTHING is original ANY and every movie can be related to some other story or some other movie. this is because Nothing is original. The 12 different ways of story telling have all been done and mixed and disected. Inspiration is quite different from stealing. Alot of what was put into the matrix was from story idea's that were secured in larry wachowski's high school notebook. Matrix is an authentic idea from inspiration. Most of what people claim the matrix to be related to is just sheer coincidence. The brothers said that the "what if the world wasnt as it seemed idea always captivated them. Andy was always big into japanese anime comics. They mixed the two. To give us the matrix. This is where they said the matrix came from. Alot of the characters were straight from larry's high school notebook aswell. Especially the idea for NEO. He shows his old sketches in cinescape and talks about it

BackFire
Well then the movies shouldn't be hailed as original, since as you pointed out, nothing is original these days.

BackFire
anyways, if this dicussion continues any longer, I might as well move it to the matrix forum stick out tongue I know I contributed to it going off topic, I aplogize, back to topic.

h0ck3yh0rr0r
agreed.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.