what is the Grey Havens

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

orlisgrl15
my sister just finished reading the Return of the King and in the book it said sumthing about the Grey havens and she doesn't know what that is and niether do i so i was wondering if someone could try telling me about it. thanx

orlandoOYEA
I think but i am not sure that the gray havens are where the elves go as they leave middle earth. Many people leave there and never come back. When i say people i mean inatural things but hey. Im guessing but i think that the havens are a place for the elves to live out the rest of their days, sort of like elf heaven. I havent finished the book so i have no earthly clue, just a hunch.

orlisgrl15
thanx that explains it a little happy

Shadowskill
The grey havens are the place where the elves leave the shores of Middle-earth for Valinor, the Undying Land, I'm thinkin'...

Ariadne
Yeah, the Grey Havens are where the elves leave Middle Earth, not where they go to.

BingaBonga
read the books... it helps smile

Exa
The Grey Havens or Mithlond are (as the name says big grin ) a haven city of the Elves, at the shore west of the shire in the region called "Lindon".

From here, the elven ships that leave for Valinor start their journey over the straight path.
There are already some pix from the film that may perhaps show the Grey Havens at least a part of the city.

Pic by John Howe

(not about mithlond but a similar haven in Beleriand)

nephalim27
It's explained in the Silmarillion. It's where the elves go to sail o "heaven," which although on the face of the Earth is not part of Middle-Earth. It's not really properly explained in LoTR, and left me wondering about it after the book. They mention Valinor as early as Lorien (FotR) in the movie, though, and i'm 100% sure they'll explain it in the movie.

Exa
I hope so smile
I love the scenes at mithlond.

Hegemon875
Somone buy these people the Silmarillion roll eyes (sarcastic)

Exa
Good idea big grin big grin

Kitoky
I don't know how much this helps because Exa pretty much has got it packed. The Grey Havens aka Mithlond, which by the ways means Grey Havens, is a land away from Middle Earth that the Elves go away to, it's not IN Middle-Earth.

That's why Elrond is so worried about Arwen, and he tries to get her to get on the ships that will sail to Valinor, I think it's said that no evil can reach the shores of the Grey Havens, some bad karma will overthrow them.

Camellia
The Grey Havens is the actual place that they leave from, not where they go. That is why Sam, Merry and Pippin go to the Grey Havens too, but they don't actually cross the waters...

Kitoky
Argh, I need to check my books before I correct something, ok The Grey Havens is a land west of the Shire, there also resides 1 of the 7 Palantirs (sp?). But that's besides the point, The Grey Havens is the place where Elves board the ships to sail over the sea to the Undying Lands.

Camellia
Exactly right Kitoky! big grin (or at least I think so!)

sauron

Kitoky
And Cirdan also means 'Shipwright' XD

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.