Why Dark City / Matrix

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Corlindel
I really don't understand.

Matrix is a very good movie in FX and I liked to see the first movie, but the second and this one last didn't brig me nothing of new.
The story is basical and common in sci-fi books from the sixties, and with a normal previsible and stupid end wich make us think more than the movie deserves.

So, who prefer Dark City movie wich happily didn't had any sequel?

I think I should be alone here
confused

Dark City 1 - Matrix 0 stick out tongue

Now!!! Kill me!!! stick out tongue

Kes
I loved the 1st Matrix. Its an amazing movie, with an amazing story line. And kick ass scenes big grin
I liked Dark City a lot...very dark movie with a good story which unfortunately went pretty much unnoticed (if it hadnt it would have most likely had sequels)
But I think the 2 are quite different. The only thing in common is the real world is fake but for different reasons.
To pick 1 I prefer the MAtrix even if the sequels disappointed me a bit (specially Revolutions) but the 1st comes out on top of all that!

ahaetrkarykl
i cant decide. the first matrix and dark cirt are both so awesome

Korri
MATRIX!!

Hegemon875
I prefer Dark City as well, one of my fav movies of all time.

ragesRemorse
Reloaded, and revolutions was never meant to give you anything new in a story sense. It was only meant to elaborate on the story that was started in the first matrix. It kept the originality alive in telling the story with twists, and superb action. It may have given you nothing new on a story, but the action is somthing that was never atempted or achieved in all three. Of course this story has been told before, i mean the whole what if the world wasnt as it seemed, but then again It is impossible to ever have an original thought or idea. Everything has been done before. Simple as that. This is non arguable. There are only 12 different things to be written about. Every idea is inspired by somthing, somthing that has been done. It's how you present your idea that gives it originality. Nothing has been presented in such great, original style like the matrix.

Dark city holds a better story, but matrix is far more entertaining

lew
I thought the first Marix was Great and i liked Reloaded but the original was still better. I went to see Revolution last night and i though it was exelent. I think it was a great way to end Neo's story. Ih ave never heard of this other movie you are talking about is it any good.

ragesRemorse
yeah it's really good. It's matrix-esque in the story, but alot darker.

lil bitchiness
http://www.bigblueball.com/im/msn/images/50_50.gif

lil bitchiness
what i ment to say is...Matrix is one of my favourite movies of all time, but the DArk City was so good..it was kinda frightening as well..much darker storyline as well...

Corlindel
Uau!!!! big grin

It is good to know that so many of you think Dark City is better...

Ushgarak
You mean- NOT many, Corlindel.

I like Dark City but Matrix has far better scope. I also find a lot of people who prefer Dark City are just trying to be snotty about it, as if that elevates them from the masses.

Corlindel
I don't agree with your point of view about "that elevates then from the masses".

If we pick our choice by that point of view I can say the same about Matrix fans. How I told before I liked the first Matrix but didn't bring me nothing new. It a good story but commun ins sci-fi books from writers as Phllip K. Dick, Clifford Simak and Stanislaw Lew.

My oppinion is that Matrix story lost part of his sense and walks to a end of basic explanation of God and the Messias trhough a war beetwen human and machines.

I end thinking in the beggining of second Matrix which dessapoint me a lot.

Don't generalise please.

Ushgarak
Not even vaguely generailisng- I said 'I find alot' and that remains true.

And of COURSE the Matrix comes from other influences. That is part of its point. It's the same thing Kill Bill does. I didn't watch it for the starling originality of its plot- just for the neat semi-intellecutal background it provided. Where it innovated was in technology and presentation, something Dark City didn't come within a mile of, nice film as it was.

And if you think it is a story of God and the Messiah then you just join a crowd of shortsighted people who also believe in that tiresome idea. That is just one choice of imagery it uses amongst a hundred different things. It's like saying Star Wars is all about Boba Fett.

Corlindel
The first Matrix has a good story, unfortunately ends in the easiest way the Wanchowski brothers find to end that I mentioned before. I think they loose their time writing the Reloades and Revolutions.

The neat semi-intellectual background you mentioned was entirely at the first film. The others are a simple desconstruction and destruction of ideas, which, of course, made us think a lot creating our own perspectives and ideas about Matrix and maybe our real life. Ideas and convictions wich are a loosing of time for that the Revolutions provide us.

So it is better we keep our own idea of Matrix, forgetting what we saw or develop our own ideas from other sources.

For me Matrix died in the first film. Reloaded and Revolutions are almost only the start line for the fourth film: Matrix Merchandising...

p.s.

Thanks for bring me to light. I shall not join shortsighted people in future or reply to the messages of that who are elevated from the masses..joke I couldn't resist.

Kes
Came on guys. Lets be friends wink
Ush does have a point thou...the Matrix is not just about the Messiahs. You should watch it a few more times big grin
Go to movie-mistakes.com and check out the Matrix trivia. It helps all you shortsighted ppl catch a few more things laughing out loud jk mate wink

Corlindel
smile But who told you I said it was "only" about the Messiah???

Well. My apologizes to Ush if I was rude and for not explain as well as I want my point of view..M

aybe if we talk in portuguese we get a agree smile My english is poor in technical mathers.

stick out tongue

Kes
stick out tongue

julibug
There are some similarities I see in Dark City, The 13th Floor, ExistenZ & the Matrix movies (plus I'm sure many others I can't think of at the moment). But I agree with Ush, that the Matrix was better in it's presentation.

Kes, I'll go check out the movie-mistakes.com to broaden my insight into the matrix.

julibug
Ok. Been there. I guess I already saw other messages besides the whole Messiah thing. But I can easily see where some analogies are made regarding a Christian theme.

Kes
big grin

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.