Let Me Rack Your Brains

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

TASHA_S
hello im new to this forum, so to break the ice i thought i might break the ice.
For about a month now this one question has been messing with my brain so i thought i might share it, there for i may get a solution, so here it is:
What is there was nothing, no planets no people no universe just nothing, what would it look like? i know what your thinking it would be black but black it the absense of colour, and if there was nothing there would be no colour to start off with, so there is no need for an absense of it. so what would nothing look like?

Happy Dance

wicker_man
Well technically non of us would be able to answer this question correctly, for the simple reason we wouldn't exist in your above scenario.

TASHA_S
i know what you mean, but i just wanted your opinion of what it may be like? but you answers sensible and it puts thinks in perspective

wicker_man
There were two angles i could of 'tackled' your question from the logical perspective like the one i stated in my previous post or indeed i could of tried to view the question from the angle that: if we had an overview of your scenario what would we make of it.

Ushgarak
It wouldn't look like anything, would it? 'Look like' implies there is something to see and someone to observe. Neither is so.

TASHA_S
okay i see where your coming from, thanks

Ushgarak
No problem. After all, whenever you say "what does x look like?" you are actually abbreivating "what thing does x look like." It is a question the answer to which involves drawing comparison between one thing and another thing.

Nothing is just that- no thing. So it cannot be done.

crazy_rock_chic
ur rite ush,there's no real answer to the question,its impossible to get an answer

gcharlottepunk
Man, I really need someone. Is there anyone out there that is just as lonely as I am?

The Force
that's a good question... *goes to ask God*

Schizo_n_me
I thought white was the absense of color.... blink

gcharlottepunk
Thanks force. I need to speak with him myself! You aren't lonely are you? Okay, I'll leave you alone. Sorry!

The Force
i heard that the "color" whit, isn't a color anymore erm

Hegemon875
In light, black is the absence of color and white is all the colors combined.

dave123
in the absence of light, there is black
since there is no light in this scenario
we have to say there can only be.....
black

The Force
white is all the colors combined?

Hegemon875
when it comes to light yes.

Curl_Up&Dye
You can't form a comparison between things we never have seen. We as human beings have never experienced complete nothing.
There is a phrase from an ancient Greek myth, "Dreams were created so that man would never know death before his time." So even in sleep humans have never experience a complete absence of existance.
In order to compare anything to a complete lack of existance, we would in fact have to experience it.
So there really is no answer to your question. It can't be any color, because color is a creation of existance, therefore it is something.
I honestly believe that there could never be a complete nothing, even in death.
Although according to some religions, depending on the course of your life, after death you sometimes remain in a state of limbo, which they describe as being in a complete nothing until your time of judgement. However they can never describe what complete nothing looks like, having never experienced anything that could be agreed upon as logical. Which is where my theory on religion being a hypocritical occupation comes in, because religion can describe a heaven and hell and they can tell you how you got there, but they force the idea of limbo being a complete nothing, using only "because i said so" as a final explanation or description.
But I'm beginning to ramble...if anyone wants to yell at me for bashing religion, feel free to send me a message and argue with me about it.

dave123
"So there really is no answer to your question. It can't be any color, because color is a creation of existance, therefore it is something."

if a human were to go into "nothing" our 5 sense would detect "nothing", no hot, cold, pressure, light, taste, smell or sound, although we may be ripped apart by the pressure, not sure

we would see whatever colour it is blind people "see" as their would be no input into the eyes

crazy_c
My art teacher said before white and black aren't real colours.

Maelstrom
just imagin a universe that isn't there i guess like the universe is here.

TASHA_S
thanks for all your replies

TASHA_S
i duno why i think of these things i dunno how i just do, its just me and my twisted and strange head

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.