TFN Jedi Council Editorial

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ushgarak
Here is an interesting Editorial from that site about the importance of AOTC after the percieved failure of Phantom Menace.

http://www.theforce.net/jedicouncil/editorials/092501.shtml

So, what do you guys think? Right now I'll just say that this is ANOTHER person who has missed the point of Anakin by saying we should have seen his Dark Side... but in general I think he has some very good points.

Mind you, I'm very wary of all this talk saying that GL should listen to the fans... we'd have 100 Darth Maul clones in the next film if he did...

sand person no. 10
I'm getting fed up of people slagging of tpm, it is too late and this film will undoubtedly become very important. this fan does not seem to realise that tpm is part of a 6 film series, i for one expect the change in anakin to be quite dramatic from the smiling child in tpm thus showing his troubled mind, secondly it is george lucas' story not the fans, that is what film edits and the eu are for, fans fantasies totry and prove that they can do it better, the majority of sw fans are now in their mid twenties to early forties tpm was meant to be a kids film, aotc is meant to be a kids film but more in the vain of esb i.e. darker, i'm sure gl had some idea when he wrote anh how the six/nine film series was going to turn out so listening to fans would be a terrible idea, i repeat they are his films and his story and how could he satisfy so many fans.

I do however about getting another director, i don't gl is the greatest director in the wold, the best sw film the esb was not direced by him, just written by him, perhaps a co-director would be a good solution, i susupect that i'm dreaming of spielberg doing it with him, still you never know.

Ushgarak
ESB was co-written as well; so is AOTC but I think Lawrence Kasdan had a very big impact on ESB indeed, to good effect. And so did Irvin Kershner as Director, but it seems GL is finished with using other directors.

GL has said how much he dislikes writing. He's got the vision and the means; there's no shame in needing someoine else to bring it all out for you- but GL has to trust them implicitly. We'll see how the new co-writer does.

As they are written by the TFN staff these editorials carry great weight; most Star Wars net fans will read it at one point. I wonder if he is catching or leading the public mood?

However, no matter which way you look at it TPM is not well liked by a large amout of fans. Not me, though...

queeq
ESB was NOT written by GL, he only made the story. Leigh Bracket wrote the first draft and after she died, Kasdan finished it. So far GL only wrote ANH and TPM.

Well, you know how I feel. TPM not all bad, but the least of all four so far IMHO. I think the author had some very good points. His comments about GL listening to fans is a dodgy one though. I mean, if you have a vision you should make it. Having "10.000 opinions" does not contribute to quality. Input from others is always good, I think, but it depends on the way it goes. But from fans...? I dunno....

You see, the weird thing is that if you have a vision and it's succesful, no one will question what you did and how persistent you were with what you wanted. When it's not received all that well, you are to be blamed for being too self-centered.

I watched some preparatory footage from Jurassic Park and Spielberg was also surrounded by yes men. He NEVER listens to what anyone says, and everyone says "Yes" to everything he says. Yet, the man is a genius, no one would ever question his approach even when a film is not such a big success. He has made too many films and will make a lot more to get some credit. GL only directed four films so far in almost 30 years (excluding AOTC) and when your last one does not meet creative standards (whatever they are) you're open for criticism. So does that justify a different appraoch to making films? No, I think not. I hope GL learned from the TPM experience and makes his vision work better this time.
But I too have this "make or break" feel over AOTC, but I must say so far I have a lot of confidence.

yerssot
Not going to waste my time to read it fully:
BORING!!!

queeq
No, it's not.

King Jedi
I agree with everyone apart from AOTC being "make or break". If AOTC sucks it isn't going to tarnish the other films. Look at TPM. A lot of people don't like it and that just makes them love the OT more.

I think saying AOTC is make or break like TFN are is going overdboard. There ARE going to be things in it you don't like but will that make you less of a Star Wars fan?

queeq
Well, yes, you're right, really. I'd say "make or break" for the PT then.

yerssot
With the boring, I mean that it is again a text from some guy that thinks he knows better

ToMacco
You know what? It doesn't matter if II is any good or not. We'll still all go see it and talk about it. And we'll all go see III also.

Do you think anyone will actually see II, then not see III because they are "disapointed"?

Cripes, even if you don't like Star Wars, you still have to see them all, like you have to see Schindler's List, or The Wizard of Oz, or Titanic. If you want to be a part of society, you have to keep up with things, that includes important films.

Ushgarak
It's easy enough for die-hard fans like us to say that but a good portion of that audience will be more fickle.

queeq
Yes, I agree. Cinema audience is not comprised solely of die-hard SW fans.

Ushgarak
Just so you know, opinion on the TFN boards to the Editorial appears to be largely hostile.

Not QUITE as hostile as the posters are to each other, though.

queeq
Errmm... indeed.

Dim
It it just me or does anyone else find those editorials kind of psuedo intellectual?

queeq
Of course. That's why they are so much fun.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.